• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
How these guys don't understand to purge their social media before they are front and center in the spotlight is beyond me

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on he was only 14/15... have none of ya'll ever used "gay" or "fag" in a derogatory way in your lifetime? Because in elementary/middle school that's what all the kids used to say. I didn't even know what "fag" meant at the time and I used to say it. Here I am 10 years later and I realized how hurtful the use of those words actually are. Part of growing up
Nope

Oct 28, 2017
How these guys don't understand to purge their social media before they are front and center in the spotlight is beyond me

That's the real question. You'd think his agent wouldn't be so stupid and would let him know "hey, let's get you cleaned up." Of course, any remotely reasonable person would have known to do that without being told. Before I looked for a job after college I cleaned up my social media (not that I had said anything offensive anyway, but I cleaned up stupid comments I had made). That's just a sensible thing to do.

Deleted member 2563

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That's the real question. You'd think his agent wouldn't be so stupid and would let him know "hey, let's get you cleaned up." Of course, any remotely reasonable person would have known to do that without being told. Before I looked for a job after college I cleaned up my social media (not that I had said anything offensive anyway, but I cleaned up stupid comments I had made). That's just a sensible thing to do.
Exactly. This has happened with way too many athletes at this point to not be on the mind of each player coming out of school.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
So, per ESPN, he had deleted them in January.

On ESPN's First Take on Thursday, NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported that his sources indicated Allen's Twitter account was vetted in January and that the offensive tweets were removed then.

Allen told Mortensen he thought he had gone through his Twitter account a year ago.

"I had even typed in keywords to see if anything I had tweeted popped up that I needed to clean up, but nothing like these came up or I just missed them," Allen said. "My agency went over any past social media, and these didn't come up after I did the search."

So, all of the "why didn't you go back and clean them up", he sort of did. It's just someone went back before that and grabbed screenshots and waited till before the draft to surface them.

You can punish him for it but also consider the context. I was an asshole to someone of south asian indian decent when I was in HS calling them an

I know we want to come down hard on kids but there are many kids who test a lot of these shitty boundaries and there is a difference between being ignorant of it now and/or acknowledging it and seeing if thats who they even are today.

Many MANY teens test a lot of social boundaries but arent actively being intolerant etc again it doesnt excuse it but yeah none of it is right when looking at it from the lens of an adult, but looking at it from the lens of a teen or a child it makes total sense.
No, we all said dumb things in the past. I know l have. But the issue for me is that people want to coddle him and give him "he was just young" pass. Nope. He still needs to be held accountable like anyone else. What that would look like, I don't know. A DE or LB taking his head off on the field would suffice as far as I'm concerned.
Such a stupid argument given the transgressions that were forgiven in order to draft both white and black players into the NFL at the number one spot.
You don't seem to even know what my argument is, so it makes sense you would project some dumb shit like this. Don't quote me if you're only going to be dismissive and not say anything substantive. This isn't about who got drafted despite some prior misgivings, this is about giving this guy, specifically, a free pass. Don't assume what the argument is.
Allen's tweets weren't racist. There's nothing derogatory in there about black folks. These are the product of a kid who hadn't yet learned society's rules for who gets to use the N-word and who doesn't. That makes the younger version of him socially ignorant, not racist.

(You could make a much stronger case for homophobia here than you can for racism).
Well, I appreciate and respect your opinion but l interpret these tweets as being racist. You don't have to agree that they are but you have absolutely no say in how I interpret racism or what I consider to be racist.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
No, we all said dumb things in the past. I know l have. But the issue for me is that people want to coddle him and give him "he was just young" pass. Nope. He still needs to be held accountable like anyone else. What that would look like, I don't know. A DE or LB taking his head off on the field would suffice as far as I'm concerned.

You don't seem to even know what my argument is, so it makes sense you would project some dumb shit like this. Don't quote me if you're only going to be dismissive and not say anything substantive. This isn't about who got drafted despite some prior misgivings, this is about giving this guy, specifically, a free pass. Don't assume what the argument is.

Well, I appreciate and respect your opinion but l interpret these tweets as being racist. You don't have to agree that they are but you have absolutely no say in how I interpret racism or what I consider to be racist.

The difference is that you got pulled aside and scolded, not had your job prospects 7 years later sabotaged.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but why are you saying this to me like that's what I'm advocating for? I made it clear as day what I thought his punishment should be in the very quote you posted. Guess you missed it.

I'm not sure trying to deliberately give someone a traumatic brain injury is that much better than hurting their job prospects.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And yet Josh Rosen is a socially aware progressive kid who talks about inequity in America and is a diva who should fall because of character concerns.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The I hate Lebron tweet will be pretty funny if he gets drafted to the Browns. He will be fine if anything he falls in the draft a little bit.

My favorite one from last year.

img_6710.jpg
Tweet was so good the Bears couldn't wait one more pick to draft him

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
People are saying this should make him fall in the draft like it's some punishment that can be imposed by the league. All that matters is if a team that is interested in him thinks this is worth not taking him. If I was GM of a team that needs a QB and had him as BPA it wouldn't keep me from picking him.

He deserves to be called out for it, which seems like its happening right now.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not in the NFL. I can't give him a traumatic brain injury. I'm not "trying" to do anything. Maximize and embellish away though.

Really? Because...

He still needs to be held accountable like anyone else. What that would look like, I don't know. A DE or LB taking his head off on the field would suffice as far as I'm concerned.

Dude, just own the fact that you believe that he should be permanently injured for saying something dumb and racist when he was 14-15. Don't try to cover it up and backpedal and all that crap. By your logic, saying that someone should be killed as punishment for anything is OK as long as I'm not the one personally doing it. I can totally advocate for others to do it, but that's completely OK.

And yet Josh Rosen is a socially aware progressive kid who talks about inequity in America and is a diva who should fall because of character concerns.

The Rosen stuff is the most insane thing I've heard. "Oh no! Heaven forbid he needs to know why he's running the plays he is! THE HORROR.". Freaking insane if he drops because of that. (I'll happily have my Dolphins take him if he drops that far)

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
So, per ESPN, he had deleted them in January.

So, all of the "why didn't you go back and clean them up", he sort of did. It's just someone went back before that and grabbed screenshots and waited till before the draft to surface them.

I mean, I'm sure there is a sad individual following these kids pretty early one, just taking recipts for if they hit it big

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I hope he gets picked high still, Ryan Leafs a team, and takes the GM and staff that thinks this isn't a character flaw down with him.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing is I am reasonably convinced he's Jay Cutler at his best...so he's the worst of the potential 1st rd QBs for sure.

Really? Because...

Dude, just own the fact that you believe that he should be permanently injured for saying something dumb and racist when he was 14-15. Don't try to cover it up and backpedal and all that crap. By your logic, saying that someone should be killed as punishment for anything is OK as long as I'm not the one personally doing it. I can totally advocate for others to do it, but that's completely OK.
How are you going to point at a quote that I told you to refer to as a gotcha?

"Taking his head off" is not calling for him to be permanently injured. That's just you being a drama queen.

And he will get his bell rung though. Wherever he ends up, I hope he plays my team (Eagles). Let Brandon Graham, Mychal Kendricks, or Jordan Hicks take his head off (and no, that doesn't mean literally decapitate him, since you're so wanting to do your Amelia Bedelia interpretations).

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

First of all, he said kobe admitted to rape, which as far as I know of, is false, and nowhere in this article you posted is that contradicted.

So I guess you are arguing the 'all evidence' part, but there is no evidence at all in that article, apart from blood on his clothes which doesnt prove rape in any way.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
For some reason, this makes me think he's going to end up on the Pats if he's not going #1 overall. They'll a bunch of draft picks to trade up.
Or the bills, they're desperate to get into the frame but from all reports the Giants won't be trading, I can't see the Browns turning down a QB and Saquon Barkley and if a QB the Broncos like is available, they aren't moving either. At that point it's Lamar Jackson, then Mason Rudolph.

Draft day is always shady, you can never trust what teams will do to try and get an upper leg.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017

"Taking his head off" is not calling for him to be permanently injured. That's just you being a drama queen.

And he will get his bell rung though. Wherever he ends up, I hope he plays my team (Eagles). Let Brandon Graham, Mychal Kendricks, or Jordan Hicks take his head off (and no, that doesn't mean literally decapitate him, since you're so wanting to do your Amelia Bedelia interpretations).

I think using the term "taking his head off" or "have his bell rung" is not the term to be using in a post concussion NFL. In the past that phrase meant one thing, but nowadays with the knowledge we have of concussions, I don't think that term should be used nowadays unless you're talking about actually knocking someone out.

I think using the term "taking his head off" or "have his bell rung" is not the term to be using in a post concussion NFL. In the past that phrase meant one thing, but nowadays with the knowledge we have of concussions, I don't think that term should be used nowadays unless you're talking about actually knocking someone out.
I will use whatever terms I want. You can interpret it however you want.
For some reason, this makes me think he's going to end up on the Pats if he's not going #1 overall. They'll a bunch of draft picks to trade up.
Brady would so cockblock.
Or teams deliberately trying to tank his stock to take him lower in the 1st round. There is no shortage of teams outside the top 10 trying to get a QB.
I think this is the intent as well. We won't know. Maybe someone did just stumble on these organically now, but I think this is very likely. Doesn't excuse the tweets though

Oct 27, 2017
Really? Because...

The Rosen stuff is the most insane thing I've heard. "Oh no! Heaven forbid he needs to know why he's running the plays he is! THE HORROR.". Freaking insane if he drops because of that. (I'll happily have my Dolphins take him if he drops that far)
it's not even mostly about that. The concerns have with Rosen are mostly due to his injuries (ankle, hamstrings, shoulder) and two concussions. He isn't a mobile QB and if he's broken down this much in college they are understandably concerned about him staying healthy in the NFL. When you factor in how he doesn't have a cannon, isn't mobile, didn't wow anyone at the combine and doesn't have freakish size or athleticism...there's valid reason to question his prospects. I still have him #2 because he's smart and can make all the throws (deep, outs, comebacks) and has touch and accuracy. He's worth the risk Imo. All of the top 6 are if you don't have a QB.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad all the stupid shit I said as a teen is buried on obscure forums, most of which are gone now, and not twitter.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Should have worded it differently. It sounded like you were wishing a serious injury on him.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
I will use whatever terms I want. You can interpret it however you want.

I think this is the intent as well. We won't know. Maybe someone did just stumble on these organically now, but I think this is very likely. Doesn't excuse the tweets though

A) That's fine, but then don't complain if people interpret it in a way less charitable than you intended it to be. But enough about that.

B) Considering they were deleted in January, even someone coming across them organically deliberately had to wait until today to show them. That's a complete hitjob. 4D chess makes me think Allen's reps did it to make sure he didn't go to Cleveland or the Jets. :D (Which would be the greatest draft twist of all time)

Actually, that's my new headcanon. He totally leaked them himself to drop his own stock out of Browns / Jets range.

Should have worded it differently. It sounded like you were wishing a serious injury on him.
Nope. If y'all interpret it that way, feel free. LBs and DEs will be after him and I'm fine with it (not to mention it's their job). Same would've happened to Riley Cooper but he never got many targets after his incident.
A) That's fine, but then don't complain if people interpret it in a way less charitable than you intended it to be. But enough about that.
I'm not complaining. You were! I literally told you to interpret however you want. All I can do is clarify.
B) Considering they were deleted in January, even someone coming across them organically deliberately had to wait until today to show them. That's a complete hitjob. 4D chess makes me think Allen's reps did it to make sure he didn't go to Cleveland or the Jets. :D (Which would be the greatest draft twist of all time)
That I agree with.
Actually, that's my new headcanon. He totally leaked them himself to drop his own stock out of Browns / Jets range.
Now I think that's going too far lol

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
First of all, he said kobe admitted to rape, which as far as I know of, is false, and nowhere in this article you posted is that contradicted.

So I guess you are arguing the 'all evidence' part, but there is no evidence at all in that article, apart from blood on his clothes which doesnt prove rape in any way.
He admitted that it might not have been consensual like he thought upon reflection in an interview. That's straight up and admittance of rape. He didn't use the word but he might as well have

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who among us hasn't made hundreds of racist mysoginistic tweets and then taken a highly visible public job?

Oct 28, 2017
I do not condone his words or behavior. He should have known better, and while I don't want him to be smote for his past indiscretions, he does deserve a sizable social media shaming, even a few denials from teams, especially for the Hard-R.

However, I'm almost glad I didn't earn a modicum of fame because I would have fallen like Icarus. Just the weed mentions alone would have annihilated my stock value. I kind of feel bad, especially if he has grown and learned better.
Who among us hasn't made hundreds of racist mysoginistic tweets and then taken a highly visible public job?
Holy shit, hundreds?

Fuck it, let his career burn.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I agree he shouldn't get a pass. And he should apologize and show actively he's not that person.