Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I loved The King's Speech and Les Miserables from Tom Hooper, but this looks so bad! Even watching the trailer made me feel sick. :|

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The original musical has made nearly 3 billion dollars.

Though considering much of the reason for going to see Cats was the live spectacle, not sure if this will translate into a desire to see a movie version.

It isn't like Les Mis that has an awesome story and songs (besides Memory).

Also, here's an article at Polygon on everything one wants to , and doesn't want to know, about Cats. Warning this will pretty much spoil everything.

Fuck me, the article makes it sound so lovely.

SO WHY DOES THE MOVIE LOOK SO HORRIBLE?!?
Why not use the Broadway costumes? Why not say old school rotoscoped animation or something?

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
What is the deal with James Corden? Even ignoring that this thing looks like a turd, why is Corden so (reasonably) popular? He isn't funny, his show isn't funny, and I always hear about how much of a dick he is in person. Is it because of the carpool karaoke bit?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Tweet from Tom Hooper incoming:

"Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen. Everyone at Universal is fully committed to making these characters the BEST they can be..." #catmovie #gottameowfast 🔧✌️

Oct 2, 2018

"Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen. Everyone at Universal is fully committed to making these characters the BEST they can be..." #catmovie #gottameowfast 🔧✌

lol? it looks too far gone to change tbh

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I must be missing something. Just watched the trailer and this shit is probably going to be fuckin fire. Jennifer Hudson + Elba alone make this a must-see.

Era too cool for musicals?

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I must be missing something. Just watched the trailer and this shit is probably going to be fuckin fire. Jennifer Hudson + Elba alone make this a must-see.

Era too cool for musicals?

Once the internet finds something weird to hate & make fun of, it then becomes uncool to think otherwise.

That trailer has fantastic cinematography, great acting (corden aside) & beautiful music. The design of the "cats" aren't terrible, they just need some minor adjustments and since they have 5 months I'm sure they'll fix most issues come december.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This all seems so familiar somehow...

latest

tumblr_nc4ykmW5ku1rrkahjo3_250.gif

Ah, there it is.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well, that was certainly a series of images and corresponding sounds. I can say that with certainty.

I understand nothing else about it though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I missed the trailer and all talk about until just now, haha.
It's terrifying. It's really terrifying, and I don't know exactly why. Because of tiny humans in catsuits acting like cats, because the CGI is so bad? I don't know. But I don't think I'd be able to comfortably watch this, I'd constantly be like:

Jerry-Seinfeld-Shivering-With-Disgust-Reaction-Gif.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i had no idea this was a thing until i saw the trailer yesterday before the lion king. creepy as hell.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018

"Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen. Everyone at Universal is fully committed to making these characters the BEST they can be..." #catmovie #gottameowfast 🔧✌
Well, that's a killjoy.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Made the mistake of showing this to my gf. I thought she would laugh. Nope, she wants to see this T_T

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Now for a legitimate thought: I'm still a little confused by some of the response to the design of the cats here.

I mean they look like people in cat costumes, only the costumes are digital. Now I can understand disliking that aspect of it("Why not just wear actual costumes?") which would also cancel out the 'snapchat filter effect' going on, but people are acting like they look monstrous or something.
They are completely human, human bodies(hands, feet, breasts), human faces, and that is exactly how they have always been portrayed. These are actors playing cats and it isn't hiding and has never been about hiding that.

And yet the vibe seems to be that people want them to be more cat-like, as if that isn't infinitely more weird and off-putting. The cats in Cats, both the original version and this film, aren't actually all that "furry" but what all the naysayers are seemingly asking for would push them more and more towards what they seem to not want. I don't get it.

edit: Basically, I would've thought sexy cat-TSwift would be more palatable to people than something like the sexy Gazelle from Zooptopia.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
Now for a legitimate thought: I'm still a little confused by some of the response to the design of the cats here.

I mean they look like people in cat costumes, only the costumes are digital. Now I can understand disliking that aspect of it("Why not just wear actual costumes?") which would also cancel out the 'snapchat filter effect' going on, but people are acting like they look monstrous or something.
They are completely human, human bodies(hands, feet, breasts), human faces, and that is exactly how they have always been portrayed. These are actors playing cats and it isn't hiding and has never been about hiding that.

And yet the vibe seems to be that people want them to be more cat-like, as if that isn't infinitely more weird and off-putting. The cats in Cats, both the original version and this film, aren't actually all that "furry" but what all the naysayers are seemingly asking for would push them more and more towards what they seem to not want. I don't get it.

edit: Basically, I would've thought sexy cat-TSwift would be more palatable to people than something like the sexy Gazelle from Zooptopia.
It's uncanny valley. You can separate yourself from it in the live musical because you can see the costumes, makeup, etc that shows that it's basically just a bunch of people in a silly outfit. But the "realism" provided from the CGI in the movie makes the characters uncomfortably close to real people without the seams, imperfections etc that allows us to reasonably assume it's fakeness. It's too real to be fake, but it's also too fake to be real and thus people get creeped out.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I went into the trailer cautiously optimistic. I didn't hate the stage musical.

The movie looks absolutely atrocious. Just because that visual style (sorta) works on stage does not mean it will work on screen.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear... you aren't happy with the design & you want changes. It's going to happen. Everyone at Universal is fully committed to making these characters the BEST they can be..." #catmovie #gottameowfast 🔧✌️

This is dumb. Sonic is an entirely animated character that strayed too far from its original design and presented a terrible interpretation of the character.

CATS are meant to be portrayed by people. The nightmare-fuel imagery is fun. But there's no need to potentially delay the film. They look faithful to what CATS is. If that's not your thing, look elsewhere.

Tho I'm for digitally removing James Corden from the movie.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I enjoyed the trailer, curious to watch the final movie.
Didn't find the cats to be all that creepy tbh.