Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Looks way better than the stuff fursuiters are into honestly. Always wondered why the expensive stretch fabrics, and latex facial prosthetics were never their norm and they all seemed into mascot style costumes. Always sorta figured this would be their end goal on design.

The body language is creepy as fuck in that trailer though.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
g7IsB.gif

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Cats the Musical would just truly die in the Hellfire where it belongs.

Anthony Lloyd Webber himself probably thinks the same thing.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
It's a hugely dance focused show.

This. I don't really care for the show as a whole. But it absolutely is one those shows you really need to see performed on Broadway ( I saw it in 2017 during the renewal).

Mr. Mistoffelees in particular is just an insane piece of dance, song, and magic. It's amazing to see. That and the set, choreography, special effects kinda make up for the lame plot and book. It just loses all of this in a movie with creepy CG figures and camera cuts. It would be better as one of those NBC Live events.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Yeah, more and more I don't think I belong on earth because I didn't hate that. There's some cinematography there. The cats don't creep me out. I don't know, man. And what is a man? What is a cat?

We're all miserable—no—les misérable piles of secrets.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
This. I don't really care for the show as a whole. But it absolutely is one those shows you really need to see performed on Broadway ( I saw it in 2017 during the renewal).

Mr. Mistoffelees in particular is just an insane piece of dance, song, and magic. It's amazing to see. That and the set, choreography, special effects kinda make up for the lame plot and book. It just loses all of this in a movie with creepy CG figures and camera cuts. It would be better as one of those NBC Live events.
I was with you until your last 2 sentences, the fact that it is going to be a film, and all that that entails, is what interests me the most(non sexy cat-wise). Reworking the form to fit the different medium is just what Cats needs, it exists and will continue to exist until the heat death of the universe on the stage, but this is a chance for it to be something else as well.

Take Powell and Pressburger's The Tales of Hoffmann, an opera taken off the stage and turned into a wonderful and beautiful film, one that takes advantage of everything film offers(editing, special effects, camera angles, camera movement, the camera dictating what you see, the whole shebang) to create a masterpiece of its own.

Here is a great interview with George Romero talking about the film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Wo8ICLlIQ

Now the odds of this being anywhere as good as that are slim(Hooper and co. are no P&P), but the chance is there for this to be its own wonderful thing and not just a camera shooting the stage show.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Thing is I have feeling this may be more imaginative, creative, playful, and have more interesting choreography and cinematography than les mis did. Just something about the trailer gives me that vibe.

With Les mis because it's such a revered classic I think they approached it with a little too much caution. Here I get the feeling they're just saying "fuck it" and doing whatever they want, which if anything else will probably make for a unique experience. Don't know if it will be good, but I think it will be unique.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I was with you until your last 2 sentences, the fact that it is going to be a film, and all that that entails, is what interests me the most(non sexy cat-wise). Reworking the form to fit the different medium is just what Cats needs, it exists and will continue to exist until the heat death of the universe on the stage, but this is a chance for it to be something else as well.

Take Powell and Pressburger's T, an opera taken off the stage and turned into a wonderful and beautiful film, one that takes advantage of everything film offers(editing, special effects, camera angles, camera movement, the camera dictating what you see, the whole shebang) to create a masterpiece of its own.

Here is a great interview with George Romero talking about the film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Wo8ICLlIQ

Now the odds of this being anywhere as good as that are slim(Hooper and co. are no P&P), but the chance is there for this to be its own wonderful thing and not just a camera shooting the stage show.

First, incredible video. I'll have to check this out.

Second, it's not so much that I dislike a movie re-envisioning of Cats, it's more how they did it. Chicago was good. Hell I love West Side Story. I'm sure Hamilton will be great. But with your linked video of The Tales of Hoffmann, it's clear that they took the original stage performance and upped it up a bit. Same reason I think Stop Making Sense is the greatest concert movie ever.

The trailer for Cats basically is an animated movie. Sure it has excellent choreography, but does that mean anything when it's all mocapped with weird cat humans? Idk, it loses all it's magic when everything is CG trickery.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, how did I miss seeing this earlier. It's like they took the most cringe-worthy aspect of the play and doubled down on the weirdness of it with CG. MAKE IT STAHP.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
While im sure this movie is doing something for someone, im surprised people expected this to actually appeal in that sense.

I think I said it on Twitter and not here but I think the fact that it doesn't look anything like typical horny furry art is part of why I love this trailer so much to the point where I even accept the existence of James Corden in it

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I don't mean that there are movies that are like that, merely that if they did I don't think I'd be interested in them. I know a bunch of people who are into that kind of stuff and it does absolutely nothing for me

But since you asked. This has been pretty relevant lately hasn't it?

Screen_Shot_2019_07_17_at_10.08.28_AM.png

Oct 29, 2017
I think I said it on Twitter and not here but I think the fact that it doesn't look anything like typical horny furry art is part of why I love this trailer so much to the point where I even accept the existence of James Corden in it
Don't know if I would call the typical furry design out there "horny", but seem like about the whole sum of design choices are trying to get as far away from any cutesy toon-like features as possible.
Like having two elderly actors looking very much their age, which strikes me as the antithesis of any aesthetic that strives to look playful and childish.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
  • Theater geeks (at least the ones who don't hate Andrew Lloyd Webber with a burning passion)
  • Furry Taylor Swift stans
  • People who went to see Star Wars but walked into the wrong theater and just can't look away

Believe me when I say...all the theatre people I know are livid about this trailer. Most of us take it as a personal insult.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
....wait, why were people taking my Sonic tweet joke seriously? Do I really have to don some armour, and plant a "no fun" sign into this thread?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It had to be done:

(Unless it's already been done, but still, I apologize for nothing.)

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
I will say, as kind of shit the plot (or lack thereof) is and silly the overall concept is, I had forgotten how damn impressive and technical the dancing is in this show. I think one way this movie could be a success is if it can one-up the stage show in that regard.

Considering it's the choreographer of Hamilton it's very possible.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Memory always seemed like a song out of a different musical, it just is so different than the rest of CATS.

Turn out it was.

For all this talk about how weird Cats is, "Memory" is arguably the weirdest thing about Cats. It's the only song in Cats that has nothing to do with cats, lyrically. The words — about, uh, memories and loneliness — are so generic that they helped turned the song into a pop hit before the show ever opened on Broadway. With its spare, sad, introspective melody, it's completely tonally different from any other song in the show.

It feels dropped in from another musical — it was originally intended to be for an early draft of Lloyd Webber's 1993 musical Sunset Boulevard, and it could easily be swapped in for any song Norma Desmond sings in that show. But it also seems to be broadcast from another plane of existence altogether, much as the outcast, lonely Grizabella has been living a completely different life than most of the Jellicle cats in their cosseted community spaces.

Keeping Memory in Cats though was one of the best choices Webber ever made, since that song may honestly may be the main reason people went to the show and how it got so successful.

Oct 30, 2017
Shit creeped me out more than the IT trailer did. Also, I can't deal with all the anthropomorphic buttcheeks scattered throughout this trailer.