lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Looks pretty good. Like the character designs a lot. Seems a bit overloaded with jokes, but that's what trailers are for I guess.

This is the kind of evolution of '80s Transformers that the Bay movies were not.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I think this looks fine.

I'm gonna stay off the Transformers and action figure groups for a few weeks though.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Did you all actively forget the slapstick and looney tunes level humor in Beast Wars? Waspinator literally gets flattened like a sheet of paper. There was an episode where the plot was resolved by Rhinox farting.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has only seen the first couple Bay Transformers movies and didn't really grow up with the show or toys, this is the first time my interest in the IP has been piqued. I'll probably check it out in theaters.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
after taking my kids to see Mutant Mayhem i think i'm gonna skip this one. i don't really want to sit in a theater and watch this, and despite loving transformers as a kid i don't think i need another venue for my kids to want toys from

i'll take them to Sonic 3 instead (for some reason they love the first 2)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Toddler-level humor and shenanigans, seems like whoever wrote this was on autopilot. Oh well, kiddies need their movies too.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Michael_bay_Fur_Coat.jpg

Save us Mike

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Legitimately shocked at the tone.

I was expecting it to be more serious like the Spider-Verse movies, Puss In Boots 2 and the new TMNT but this feels like an Illumination movie in a bad way.

Hoping the movie is better than the trailer.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
It depends on the continuity.

In some they were built by another group of aliens to be workers, and that's why they had alt-modes.

In some transforming was an evolutionary change that came about.

In some it was an ability granted by their gods.

As to why cars, trucks, etc..., they usually don't take on Earth modes until they visit Earth. Some shows just didn't give a crap though and had them in earth modes from the beginning. There's usually some sort of Cybertronian vehicle equivalents that get used in most stories until they make it to Earth.
if i was writing transformers i'd have OUR concept of cars n trucks come from an old encounter with a transformer. that'd blow everyone's mind 🤯

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
after taking my kids to see Mutant Mayhem i think i'm gonna skip this one. i don't really want to sit in a theater and watch this, and despite loving transformers as a kid i don't think i need another venue for my kids to want toys from

i'll take them to Sonic 3 instead (for some reason they love the first 2)

I don't think you get to make that choice in this argument. You can try your best to hide the trailer from the kids, but if they see it on TV and love it, you probably should go and take them to see it.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Legitimately shocked at the tone.

I was expecting it to be more serious like the Spider-Verse movies, Puss In Boots 2 and the new TMNT but this feels like an Illumination movie in a bad way.

Hoping the movie is better than the trailer.

Spider-verse and those other movies are full of humor what are you talking about? Especially Mutant Mayhem.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I expected to not like it based on that poster but you know what it looks kind of fun. I'll watch it. (at home)

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Not for me, this 100 sassy jokes per minute style, not for me.
Won't criticize those who like this, just not for me.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I don't think you get to make that choice in this argument. You can try your best to hide the trailer from the kids, but if they see it on TV and love it, you probably should go and take them to see it.

sure but now that i think about it, they never really watch commercials. they only watch streaming stuff like disney+ or netflix kids

Spider-verse and those other movies are full of humor what are you talking about? Especially Mutant Mayhem.

"well written humor" is probably what that poster meant

Toddler-level humor and shenanigans, seems like whoever wrote this was on autopilot. Oh well, kiddies need their movies too.

kiddies need good movies too. i watched mitchells vs. the machines with my kids on our last movie night and everyone loved it (especially my wife who cried like 3 times)

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe it's by the same ILM that did the Bumblebee prologue - goes to show how expensive the latter really was, and how an unpleasant, stripped-down art style (in my opinion) can flatten even that level of talent and expense.

That said, some of the snappiness is nice to see. I'm sure the animators had a lot of fun stretching their legs on it, at least.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
OOOOF,
That was rough to watch way to many shitty jokes and I felt like I watched the whole movie in that trailer

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not what I expected but it seems like a fun time. Bee just taking off without saying anything got me to laugh. I'm not mad at it.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Hard to believe it's by the same ILM that did the Bumblebee prologue - goes to show how expensive the latter really was, and how an unpleasant, stripped-down art style (in my opinion) can flatten even that level of talent and expense.

That said, some of the snappiness is nice to see. I'm sure the animators had a lot of fun stretching their legs on it, at least.

The Bumblebee prologue only had fanservice going for it

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It looks fine. It's not a project made for fans in their 40s, clearly, and that's fine. We can't carry the fandom forever.

Really? I'm 42, and it looks great to me - I get Cybertron, I get Quintessons, I get proper Bumblebee, and then Arcee, Orion Pax, and young Megatron! Also proper transformations! Alpha Trion!

Yeah, it's quippy. Fairy certain they made the trailer all quips on purpose though. You can't tell the story they're telling without some heavy emotional beats. Little worried about the optics of making Megatron Black, given the story is about emancipation, and the conflict between two factions of freed slaves that follows. Kind of feels like Optimus - the good guy - should be Black, then you're safe to cast anyone in the role of Megatron.

It doesn't look as exciting as the Netflix series, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Bayformers movies that shat up the franchise for the last twenty years. I'm excited to see it!

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
As someone who has only seen the first couple Bay Transformers movies and didn't really grow up with the show or toys, this is the first time my interest in the IP has been piqued. I'll probably check it out in theaters.
This is it for me two, though I have read some of the comics, played some of the games, and seen some of the cartoons so I'm not quite as new to the series, but new enough I don't really know much about the franchise beyond the surface.

I am absolutely not a Transformers fan (didn't grow up with it much) and haven't seen much I've liked of the franchise apart from some bits and pieces over the years, and to me.... this looks... fun?
I don't mind the art style/aesthetic but the actual quality of the CG work is at best, inoffensive. But that's really the only complaint I had with what I saw and I'm not ashamed to admit that I laughed several times throughout and am perfectly down to see how this does despite coming into the thread with less than 0 expectations.

Yeah it's quippy in a Guardians of the Galaxy-esque vain, but if it makes me laugh I don't really care. Bee turning and running, the wheels and the whole flailing trying to figure out transformations, the buddy cop-ness of OP and MT. It all works for me in the same way the Spiderverse and TMNT movies of late have hit. It could still be terrible but it's got me interested which for something Transformers related is quite hard to do.

Also I'm someone that likes Chris, but even I'm surprised at how well his voicework here turned out.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Movie definitely skews younger audience. I'm sure the kids will have fun with it

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to be the grown-up version of the Transformers Rescue Bots that my son loves? Because that's what this art style is reminding me of.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Maybe I had my expectations too high but this looks really bad. Especially the voice acting.

At least the animation looks interesting.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
You could make something really epic and dark out of the backstories of these characters. They did not! This looks like a film for very little kids, which is fine, but damn am I disappointed.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
There's a love triangle, and it's the real reason why Megatron does what he does.

Is there a role that ScarJo can't do?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exactly sure why people don't like this version. There was plenty of slapstick with Transformers growing up...

Did you all actively forget the slapstick and looney tunes level humor in Beast Wars? Waspinator literally gets flattened like a sheet of paper. There was an episode where the plot was resolved by Rhinox farting.

I think Beast Wars got grimdark and serious when they timetravelled into the new series. But otherwise, it was pretty goofy most of the time.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
This is perfect for the cohort of kids who would be/are totally into Transformers and outgrowing the Rescue Bots level of media, but are still too young for the intensity of the Bay movies.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022
When they said there'd be "Minions style" humor, I didn't want to believe it. Other than that, Helmsworth does an Ok Cullen impression.