Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Question for those versed in 3rd Party Transformers.

I'm planning on buying the MakeToys MTMTE Tailgate listed here: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Make-Toys-Manga-Mech-Series-MM-02-Rear-End-with-Hurricane-Upgrade-Kit/372277180118?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Does anyone know what the proper Cyclonus is for the upgrade kit it comes with? I assumed it was the Combiner Wars Cyclonus that came out a while back but apparently that's not the case.

It's the Transformers Universe Cyclonus, and after looking up the variants seems to specifically be the one in the Battle in Space/Challenge at Cybertron set. Second closest is the Henkai version.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well that sucks. That thing's expensive.

Ironically, I have that Cyclonus (twice, in fact, as I also got his original, non-anime-accurate colors version), but I can't justify buying that Tailgate since I already have the Generations one which I painted to be more accurate.

It doesn't seem to be that expensive, though?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transforme...940879?hash=item2f1a31e6cf:g:ZOQAAOSw0XFa6RwZ
It's an amazing figure, far better than the CW one, and more to scale with Tailgate I'd say. Alternatively, there must be more people in my situation, so you could always sell the Cyclonus parts.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ironically, I have that Cyclonus (twice, in fact, as I also got his original, non-anime-accurate colors version), but I can't justify buying that Tailgate since I already have the Generations one which I painted to be more accurate.

It doesn't seem to be that expensive, though?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transforme...940879?hash=item2f1a31e6cf:g:ZOQAAOSw0XFa6RwZ
It's an amazing figure, far better than the CW one, and more to scale with Tailgate I'd say. Alternatively, there must be more people in my situation, so you could always sell the Cyclonus parts.

I mean plus shipping to Canada it might be up to $50, on top of buying the MakeToys Tailgate.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that much? I had no clue shipping between the US and Canada was that high compared to, say, UK to Spain here.

Our dollar is pretty shit right now.

I think I should skip over it but I might have just accidentally bought it when I messaged the seller about shipping costs.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I exclusively buy toys of characters I like, so usually it has to be based off of a cartoon like Animated and Beast Wars, or a comic character such as Windblade or Brainstorm.

But right now I'm seriously considering buying a Generations Seaspray because he's smol and cute and his tummy turns into a gun. He's just too precious.

Speaking of Legends characters, what are the standouts Legends figures from the Generations line?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Legends characters, what are the standouts Legends figures from the Generations line?

They're all too tiny for me so I'm basically uninerested, but I guess Cosmos, Slash, Seaspray and the new G1 inspired Tailgate.

I really should just get that Tailgate instead of spending nearly $150 to get the Maketoys Tailgate and modded Cyclonus.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Tempted to get the Lost Light issues that I don't yet have but at this point they've conditioned me to just wait for a humble bundle.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They were tragically close to making perfect G1 Dinobot homages. The colors, the alt mode designs, the translucent plastic details, even getting Sludge's name back. But then they made them a combiner, and it all went to hell. Every flaw in the PotP Dinobots is due to them being combiners. And this is coming from someone who has trouble deciding whether the Dinobots or combiners are his favorite TF team gimmick. After so many years of wanting exactly what these figures almost are, it's heartbreaking. Or it would be if I didn't already have the phenomenal FansToys Dinobots, thus making every other attempt at the team essentially moot. But still, it stings a bit.

Now that I finally have all five of them, I have to agree. I love combiners but I never really loved the corners they cut with combiner wars when it came to the individual figures. But Grimlock's dino feet, Sludge's gigantic hole in his chest, the better-but-still-horrid combiner hands, sludge and slag coming with the exact same weapon and grimlock coming with no weapon except for those feet... ugh. I appreciate that only two are remolds of each other and it's a pretty extensive remold but still. I'd have almost preferred them to be headmasters in the last line instead because then they could focus on just two forms, plus we would get an homage to their diaclone origins.

And is this Prime Master gimmick really drawing in the kids? Those little figures seem to be shelfwarming something fierce (and I fear I'll never see the next wave because of it), there aren't nearly enough to go around, they're the reason we have these relatively lame combiner hands and feet which don't really do a great job either as "armor" or as hands and feet. They don't even have space on the box to advertise that these things are combiners.

It doesn't help that none of the stores around me refresh their stock all that much, partly because there are still figures from the last movie clogging shelves.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Ive got anhospital appointment tomorrow morning so i gotta go to bed early when i get back from work
Will aim to do a thread tomorrow @_@

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Tempted to get the Lost Light issues that I don't yet have but at this point they've conditioned me to just wait for a humble bundle.

If you're enjoying the comic, and this would tip your decision, considering how much more you're supporting the authors by buying it there, even if it's on sale. Not like it probably makes much difference with the end of the universe as we know it looming close, but...

Now that I finally have all five of them, I have to agree. I love combiners but I never really loved the corners they cut with combiner wars when it came to the individual figures. But Grimlock's dino feet, Sludge's gigantic hole in his chest, the better-but-still-horrid combiner hands, sludge and slag coming with the exact same weapon and grimlock coming with no weapon except for those feet... ugh. I appreciate that only two are remolds of each other and it's a pretty extensive remold but still. I'd have almost preferred them to be headmasters in the last line instead because then they could focus on just two forms, plus we would get an homage to their diaclone origins.

And is this Prime Master gimmick really drawing in the kids? Those little figures seem to be shelfwarming something fierce (and I fear I'll never see the next wave because of it), there aren't nearly enough to go around, they're the reason we have these relatively lame combiner hands and feet which don't really do a great job either as "armor" or as hands and feet. They don't even have space on the box to advertise that these things are combiners.

It doesn't help that none of the stores around me refresh their stock all that much, partly because there are still figures from the last movie clogging shelves.

Yeah, as far as Transformers "monkey paw" wishes go "G1 homage dinoboy combiner" turning out like the PotP dinobots did has to rank pretty close to the top.

Ive got anhospital appointment tomorrow morning

Now I'm worried, hopefully nothing serious? :/

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If you're enjoying the comic, and this would tip your decision, considering how much more you're supporting the authors by buying it there, even if it's on sale. Not like it probably makes much difference with the end of the universe as we know it looming close, but...

Yeah, as far as Transformers "monkey paw" wishes go "G1 homage dinoboy combiner" turning out like the PotP dinobots did has to rank pretty close to the top.

Now I'm worried, hopefully nothing serious? :/
Nah just a check up my workplace approved of :) i expect positive results but it never hurts to be sure nowadays

Oct 26, 2017
I got my second wave of PotP in today and I kind of agree. My Dinobots will stay forever separate but there are a ton of little issues. Grimlock is unfortunately hurt the most. I don't care much for Sludge (never did), but Slag, Snarl and Swoop are excellent figures despite the limitations.

Rippersnapper and Hun-Grrr work well, but they were designed for combination originally, with Rippersnapper having a solid body. Moonracer shouldn't have been made like that, it's ridiculous to try to force a slim female figure to fit the same blocky mold by way of backpack. And Darkwing will only do his custom combination with Dreadwind once I get them all down to take pictures.

Still, I'm so grateful that Hasbro eventually got around to these. The Powermasters, the Dinobots, the Terrorcons and the Predacons are all among my favourites since most of them featured quite a lot in the comics at the time, and they were all so unlikely a few years ago. I distinctly remember: Hasbro won't do combiners because they'd need a ton of figures released in a single wave. Hasbro won't do beast modes again because Beast Hunters flopped. And here we are, with three beast combiners with ridiculously accurate colour schemes and general designs. On top of that, a freaking Dreadwing combination!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I still don't get why they don't even mention the combiner part of it and focus on this new gimmick instead. Basically if you buy a complete combiner you get one "prime" or enigma or whatever you call them for six slots. You can get three more per wave of minifigures. Are they planning to sell them as blind bags or something because if this is the gimmick, I don't understand why they're not more readily available. Are you supposed to put the decapitated heads from the last line in there?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
My MP Sunstreaker arrived today and I just transformed him for the first time. This figure is awesome. I love this transformation. It's so tight and complex despite its size. Glad you guys recommended it.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with

Transformers: Punishment
Transformers: Redemption
Transformers: Redemption of the Dinobots
Transformers: Salvation

The covers make it seem like they're a part of a series of mini series, but it is unclear (outside the redemption/dinobots combo) why.

I picked up Legends Seaspray after some of the discussions above. It's the first legends scale figure I've picked up and I'm super impressed. Boat mode looks great, and the robot mode isn't too shabby either.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with

Transformers: Punishment
Transformers: Redemption
Transformers: Redemption of the Dinobots
Transformers: Salvation

The covers make it seem like they're a part of a series of mini series, but it is unclear (outside the redemption/dinobots combo) why.

Punishment, Redemption, and Salvation are a loose trilogy of stories about the Dinobots and the things they do and why they do them. Redemption of the Dinobots is the TPB that collects all three stories.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Punishment, Redemption, and Salvation are a loose trilogy of stories about the Dinobots and the things they do and why they do them. Redemption of the Dinobots is the TPB that collects all three stories.

Oh, great! That means I can just pickup Redemption of the Dinobots. It's a bit shocking how little information the comixology page for these Trades have.

EDIT: Now I see there's a small section that says it is also collected in another TPB.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"YEEEEEEESSS."

Dcy9bFZUQAAL0mj.jpg

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
BW Megatron looks amazing. Hopefully the back is good too.
MP-Shockwave-and-Megatron.jpg

MP-42-Cordon-Images-01.jpg

Also redecos for Shockwave and Megatron and police Sunstreaker (which has a better head sculpt IMO).
The new toy-accurate Megatron is interesting, since one of the KOs managed to get the same head out before the official toy.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ha, I never even opened my original Shockwave... I think my Fanstoys version is still in my detolf.

come to think of it, I only really fiddled with my Megatron maybe once or twice

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a bit of a financial bind right now so I'm considering selling off some of my Animated toys, I could sell them for way lower than average and still make a mint since I bought them so cheaply, but they're all so cool that I don't want to get rid of them.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm in a bit of a financial bind right now so I'm considering selling off some of my Animated toys, I could sell them for way lower than average and still make a mint since I bought them so cheaply, but they're all so cool that I don't want to get rid of them.

Really sorry to hear you're in a less than favorable financial position. :(

Honestly I believe if you sell them you're going to regret it down the line. I guess you'll have to square that future regret against how much good the money would do to you right now. :/

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Cordon is gorgeous. But holy moly it's expensive.

Shockwave looks great in darker purple. Megatron is a bit underwhelming.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sorry to hear you're in a less than favorable financial position. :(

Honestly I believe if you sell them you're going to regret it down the line. I guess you'll have to square that future regret against how much good the money would do to you right now. :/

Oh it's not terrible or anything. I'm just trying to leverage the worth of selling them.

I'll never part with Blurr for example.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Oh, you mean the little guy? Eh, they chose to reference the surfboard mode of transmetals instead, that's ok I guess.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Word is that OpOp mold is getting retooled into Star Saber, which makes a lot more sense for it.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
New video showing off Perfect Effect's Not-TM2 Megatron.

It's been delayed to late next month like everyone expected. Really like the look of this thing.