Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Hasbro and Mattel have repeatedly proven completely inept at proper online distribution. Wanting to see them screw it up on a much grander scale doesn't make a lot of sense.

Again, they'd basically have to start an entirely new wing of the company to do it properly, a wing that operates in a completely different world from the primary company. The odds of the leadership and the shareholders thinking that's a wise move are infinitesimal. The loss of TRU is not a positive thing but it's also not a big enough blow to entice Hasbro to bet the company on an expansion into the retail space. I've been at companies that tried to do similar things and without exception it was a disaster. It's just not in the cards, IMO, unless Hasbro's leadership is a lot dumber than I think it is.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
MP Grapple and Inferno look so cheap.
They are lacking detail and rubber tires would go a long way but I actually like the overall look of the sculpt. I really need to pick one of them up eventually.
I picked up MP shockwave on a tripe to Japan a while back and kind of wish I'd spent the money on another Gundam instead. Displayed next to MP Soundwave, he looks like a knock-off of a knock-off. Feels super cheap and has a simplistic yet messy transformation into an alt mode full of gaps and holes. Probably my 2nd worst MP after Megatron v1.

Oct 26, 2017
Shockwave was a disappointment but he's Shockwave, so he's still pretty good.

Inferno and Grapple have little detail but the transformations are amazing and they are really, really solid and chunky, and quite fun to just mess around with. Inferno also has a really cool, timeless design. Grapple a little less so because of the derpy head. I really would have preferred the same head on both of them, but that's the cartoon design messing things up. Can't wait to see how they make Trailbreaker really sleek and Hoist a fat bastard from the same actual mold.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Anyone else here love these trans lesbians

800px-AnAxeToBreakTheIce-survivalpresent.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here love these trans lesbians

800px-AnAxeToBreakTheIce-survivalpresent.jpg

Theyre awful but I'm glad you like them. Representation is important and if I get characters like Tailgate, Cyclonus and Brainstorm then Anode and Lug deserve to be there too.

It's just, you know, it'd really help if they weren't super boring.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Transformers are too human now but maybe it's just me.

Also what kind of money do Transformers use?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
They're not among my favorite Lost Light characters; to quote myself:
Oh god. She's Robert's creator's pet. :D

I don't really have anything against her beyond her vague Mary-Sue-ness and general nondescriptiveness. She would need to have salient qualities in order for me to actively dislike her. :D

This was in January and my opinion is still pretty much the same. It's really cool to have transfender lesbian robots in a Transformers comic, but they're too bland, normal and nondescript among an amazing cast of wonderfully written and really, really broken bots. Doesn't help that Roberts already has shown how he can make incredibly charismatic same-gender couples like Cyclonus/Tailgate and especially Chromedome/Rewind. The issue right before the current arc when she and Swerve tried to one-up themselves with ridiculous practical jokes was a promising start, but literally right after, she disappeared from the narrative altogether, so...

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me, I had the impression that MLP fans use the "generation #" terminology because that was adapted from the Transformers fanbase. Do you guys actually still use that?

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
That reminds me, I had the impression that MLP fans use the "generation #" terminology because that was adapted from the Transformers fanbase. Do you guys actually still use that?
Well, Hasbro was the one that named Generation 2, which arguably made the previous generation Generation 1 by default (which was eventually picked up as the official name), but that's about it. Everything else is typically named by their subline title.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, G1 and G2 are pretty much universal terms in TF fandom, but that's as far as it gets, as immediately after there's the several Japanese shows like Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory, each with own (sub)title, then Beast Wars, and pretty much every show after that has its own specific name or subtitle.

Which gets super fun when there's two different, unrelated shows and a third comic unrelated to either of them, all called "Transformers: Robots in Disguise"... :P

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, G1 and G2 are pretty much universal terms in TF fandom, but that's as far as it gets, as immediately after there's the several Japanese shows like Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory, each with own (sub)title, then Beast Wars, and pretty much every show after that has its own specific name or subtitle.

Which gets super fun when there's two different, unrelated shows and a third comic unrelated to either of them, all called "Transformers: Robots in Disguise"... :P
I first remember 'G2' being used in this 12-issue comic in 1993. Always thought 'this is not your father's autobot', as a sign that it was 'grown-up' and characters were going to die, was hilarious- I was 15 in 1993 and wondered 'what are you gonna do, kill my childhood heroes all over again?' :D
6lhM5t.jpeg

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only exposure to Generation 2 was the cartoon, which was literally just G1 reruns with a newer, worse, intro.

The comics were the only actual G2 story (based on the "G2" branded toys), but they were bad, and their only contribution was retroactively giving G1 it's name, and then the idea of numbered Transformers generations was quietly set aside and never brought up again.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I first remember 'G2' being used in this 12-issue comic in 1993. Always thought 'this is not your father's autobot', as a sign that it was 'grown-up' and characters were going to die, was hilarious- I was 15 in 1993 and wondered 'what are you gonna do, kill my childhood heroes all over again?' :D
6lhM5t.jpeg

I don't think we got the G2 comics here in Spain... for which I'm grateful. :D

Is there where I talk about TRANSFORMERS: Devastation?

Sure! It's one of my favorite P* games, a truly underrated gem with a combat system as deep as the Mariana trench!

Hell, I'll take this as my cue to brag a bit again:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Maybe its because I grew up with Best Wars and later, but I love some of the G2 designs. Oil Tanker Prime and Tank Megatron are just divine.q

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Did they find a new publisher to make Transformers games or are we stuck with just the mobile output for now? Such a shame too since I liked the last few (non movie related) games, with War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, and Devastation.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Did they find a new publisher to make Transformers games or are we stuck with just the mobile output for now? Such a shame too since I liked the last few (non movie related) games, with War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, and Devastation.

Doesn't seem to be a publisher issue as much as Hasbro not giving a shit. I'm sure P* would jump on the opportunity to make a sequel to Devastation (hell, they were supposed to make a trilogy IIRC). Money is in the mobile gachas and whaling, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
Purple tank Megatron will always be one of my favorites. Those garish early 90s color schemes are terrible in just the perfect kind of way that makes me love them.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My only exposure to Generation 2 was the cartoon, which was literally just G1 reruns with a newer, worse, intro.

The comics were the only actual G2 story (based on the "G2" branded toys), but they were bad, and their only contribution was retroactively giving G1 it's name, and then the idea of numbered Transformers generations was quietly set aside and never brought up again.

Not entirely true. G2 gave us Jhiaxus, the concept of a third faction that considers itself above the Autobot/Decepticon conflict, and this exchange:

latest

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017

Same here. War for Cybertron was one of my favorite games from last gen, so I'm super bummed High Moon got thrown onto the cod train.

Anyone see the Bumblebee prequel comic cover art btw? I have to admit, It looks really nice, though I doubt the design will transfer to the movie.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Same here. War for Cybertron was one of my favorite games from last gen, so I'm super bummed High Moon got thrown onto the cod train.

Anyone see the Bumblebee prequel comic cover art btw? I have to admit, It looks really nice, though I doubt the design will transfer to the movie.

This does look really, really great. If the comic itself is up to this standard it might be a good read in a "forget this is connected to Bayformers" kind of way.

I laughed hysterically at this for like five minutes straight. Amazing.

I wonder if they'll actually make it or if it's just for fun. They also showed this.

april_newsvan3.png

Not quite the same without her being all yellow, but I guess there's only so much panel-flipping you can do to change colors. She would go great with those actual official transforming TMNT they made a few years back, which I guess is the point. What are supposed to be those white "whisker" things on her neck?

Yikes. I meant the ones that transform into "normal" turtles, I didn't know about these.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Watched the old TF film from 1986. Made me wonder if it's possible to ever have Prime pass the torch to the next generation like the film did. The concept now has more weight and pop culture awareness than it did back then. What conditions would be needed to make it work if Netflix had a multi season animated series?

Many people hated Hot Rod, but is he fundamentally a broken character that he would never be able to be accepted by fans even with a team of good writers behind him?

Using the current Star Wars as a frame of reference, there's a growing emphasis on passing the torch from a venerated bloodline to a more common lineage? Couldn't they do the same with Optimus Prime -- a demigod within the myth, passing his boon onto a lesser line of Autobot? Or maybe that would only work as an ending. Maybe Optimus Prime's ascendancy as leader is the passing of the torch moment, but I do find value in exploring that the notion of a finite Optimus Prime, even if his passing were to happen at the end of a hypothetical story.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Prime wasn't reverred before he became leader. That he was an everyday worker robot like the rest of his peers, who stood up against the tyranny of the Decepticons. Kind of like the working class trying to overthrow the aristocrats.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah in this case Rodimus is the destined all-important hero who's way better than last year's model.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought Prime wasn't reverred before he became leader. That he was an everyday worker robot like the rest of his peers, who stood up against the tyranny of the Decepticons. Kind of like the working class trying to overthrow the aristocrats.
Depends on which of the multiple timelines you subscribe to. Most of the more recent ones depict him as a demigod or Christ like figure. I know the G1 cartoon depicted him as an everyday figure in season 3 but that, much like season 3 itself tends to be downplayed these days.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping the IDW reboot ditches the pseudo mythic narrative of the Transformers.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Watched the old TF film from 1986. Made me wonder if it's possible to ever have Prime pass the torch to the next generation like the film did. The concept now has more weight and pop culture awareness than it did back then. What conditions would be needed to make it work if Netflix had a multi season animated series?

Many people hated Hot Rod, but is he fundamentally a broken character that he would never be able to be accepted by fans even with a team of good writers behind him?

Using the current Star Wars as a frame of reference, there's a growing emphasis on passing the torch from a venerated bloodline to a more common lineage? Couldn't they do the same with Optimus Prime -- a demigod within the myth, passing his boon onto a lesser line of Autobot? Or maybe that would only work as an ending. Maybe Optimus Prime's ascendancy as leader is the passing of the torch moment, but I do find value in exploring that the notion of a finite Optimus Prime, even if his passing were to happen at the end of a hypothetical story.
Honestly, there is little wrong with Hot Rod himself on the surface and he's arguably one of the best most developed characters of the G1 cartoon. Not that that's anything amazing, it's still a fairly simple idea -- the daredevil kid with different ideals and values turns out to be the chosen one and takes on that responsibility. I think that there is a lot of potentially interesting stuff in Season 3 about his not being able to fill Prime's shoes well enough and about the pressures leadership brings. It's rough around the edges, but to me it still works decently enough for what it is.

The main problem to me is how it is in the movie. It was handled so awkwardly and Hasbro was so out for blood that I don't know how it could have gone well -- not only does Prime get killed off to be replaced by a new leader, but that happens to the entire cast bar Blaster, Perceptor and the Dinobots. It was far too harsh a transition, Hasbro did not understand that kids could actually get attached to characters, and Hot Rod is shown making a mistake which leads to this with nothing in the movie depicting him as regretful or guilty over his actions. I still adore the movie, but it's honestly got a lot of problems and it is the centerpiece of why a lot of kids were driven away from Hot Rod rather than he himself and Season 3.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Ultra Magnus is a worse leader than Hot Rod. In the film, you can see his inventiveness to solve problems pull through several times whereas Ultra Magnus and co. were generally clueless.