• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Why's that? I don't know enough about card games to tell from watching that.
It could very well be because it's a showcase demo and to be fair I had the sound off because I'm currently at work, but it looks very simplistic. In the past, Wizards of the Coast designed the Star Wars and Harry Potter TCG which were simplistic in design. They didn't catch on despite the big licenses attached to them. Before that came into being though, a company named Decipher had acquired the Star Wars license and designed the Star Wars CCG, which got popular with the CCG crowd because it had a lot of depth to it. Unfortunately, Lucasfilm didn't renew the license and so Wizards of the Coast, with the backing of Hasbro, got the license likely because of a more lucrative deal.

There have been a lot of niche but still profitable collectible card games in the past and they all share one basic requirement: depth. No one likes to play the same games over and over again. (I guess Hearthstone is the exception hurr hurr.)

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. The Cyberverse toys have been trash so far according to all the reviews, EXCEPT the Ultimate Class Prime and Megatron. They're no Generations, but they seem like they're not bad for the lower price point. I just got my son PotP Leader Class Optimus a couple weeks ago, so maybe the Cyberverse Megs for $30 would be a good stand in for the Combiner Wars Megs I haven't been able to force myself to spend $80 on eBay for. Seems like Ultimate Class in Cyberverse is about the same height as Leader Class in Generations at least.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Hmm. The Cyberverse toys have been trash so far according to all the reviews, EXCEPT the Ultimate Class Prime and Megatron. They're no Generations, but they seem like they're not bad for the lower price point. I just got my son PotP Leader Class Optimus a couple weeks ago, so maybe the Cyberverse Megs for $30 would be a good stand in for the Combiner Wars Megs I haven't been able to force myself to spend $80 on eBay for. Seems like Ultimate Class in Cyberverse is about the same height as Leader Class in Generations at least.

I haven't looked at any of the cyberverse stuff except for the original announcement: their main thing is gimmicks like twisting waist punch? What?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It could very well be because it's a showcase demo and to be fair I had the sound off because I'm currently at work, but it looks very simplistic. In the past, Wizards of the Coast designed the Star Wars and Harry Potter TCG which were simplistic in design. They didn't catch on despite the big licenses attached to them. Before that came into being though, a company named Decipher had acquired the Star Wars license and designed the Star Wars CCG, which got popular with the CCG crowd because it had a lot of depth to it. Unfortunately, Lucasfilm didn't renew the license and so Wizards of the Coast, with the backing of Hasbro, got the license likely because of a more lucrative deal.

There have been a lot of niche but still profitable collectible card games in the past and they all share one basic requirement: depth. No one likes to play the same games over and over again. (I guess Hearthstone is the exception hurr hurr.)
I mean, game has too heavy tactical building levels, your team, then your deck. It may be worth having a bunch of weaker characters without traits if you have a leader that can activate them in a single attack. Plus they are setting up multiple types of characters, right now we have car/tank/plane standard sub groups, plus Titan super characters. We'll likely see combiners in a wave or two that have more unique actions.

Then you have actual deck building, not only are you choosing upgrades and actions, you also have to figure out how each card will figure into the balance into your battle phase(too few attack type and you can't make it through their defenses, too many white draw and you not only don't get help you have to shuffle your deck every other turn. Is a neutral card worth it for giving up the battle draw edge) that additional level of strategy is the depth in this game, as you not only have to think about a card's effect, but also it's state in battle. Figuring out how to off set your character's base stats, etc.

In fact there's enough flexibility I think the meta in this game could be more flexible than most because there's so many possible power combos

Oct 26, 2017
I received my Predaking!

First impressions: stickers. OMG, the stickers. They tell you to do Divebomb first and once you've placed his you're halfway done. The stickers really go up to the edges so if you align them a little bit off they will stick outside.

They are worth it though. They add a ton of detail. I'm afraid they will scrape off along the edges eventually.

The animal forms are blocky, there's no way around it. Not very posable and too much like the G1 versions, like Tantrum's super child safe horns.

The robots look really good though. I've learned to ignore kibble, especially if it's black. Headstrong and Tantrum actually look the best, their proportions work better and they're supposed to be blocky. The others are okay but have too short arms and legs.

The combination is very satisfying and fairly simple. I've watched reviews but I barely had to look at the instructions. The torso locks together very solidly.

And the final result is awesome. The proportions are great. We've lived with a super stocky Predaking for so long that we expect it, but this is much better. I'm fine with the waist, it makes him look athletic and feral, like a male night elf or something. He's also quite posable and seems very durable.

Since I had to import him he became a bit expensive, but there's really a lot of bang for the buck here. I used to want a Feral Rex, but this costs as much as 1,5 of them and (I think?) it's bigger. It's pretty much the same price as five voyagers (now that TRU stopped having insane SEK prices for those), and the end result is huge. I sold my G1 Fort Max recently so this slots in as my biggest Transformer now. He won't fit in my normal display but he'll get a prominent space somewhere else. Even with the drawbacks on the individual figures, the final Predaking is a 9/10 with very little wrong with him.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, decals provide detail that you couldn't get without a combination of chroming and tampos, and I don't think they've ever done that. And after having a few Voyagers I think I prefer putting them on myself rather than letting a whipped Vietnamese factory worker do it in a rush.

Ideally there'd be a ton of paint applications but I don't think we can ever expect that in a consumer product that costs the equivalent of 10 work hours or so.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I received my Predaking!

First impressions: stickers. OMG, the stickers. They tell you to do Divebomb first and once you've placed his you're halfway done. The stickers really go up to the edges so if you align them a little bit off they will stick outside.

They are worth it though. They add a ton of detail. I'm afraid they will scrape off along the edges eventually.

The animal forms are blocky, there's no way around it. Not very posable and too much like the G1 versions, like Tantrum's super child safe horns.

The robots look really good though. I've learned to ignore kibble, especially if it's black. Headstrong and Tantrum actually look the best, their proportions work better and they're supposed to be blocky. The others are okay but have too short arms and legs.

The combination is very satisfying and fairly simple. I've watched reviews but I barely had to look at the instructions. The torso locks together very solidly.

And the final result is awesome. The proportions are great. We've lived with a super stocky Predaking for so long that we expect it, but this is much better. I'm fine with the waist, it makes him look athletic and feral, like a male night elf or something. He's also quite posable and seems very durable.

Since I had to import him he became a bit expensive, but there's really a lot of bang for the buck here. I used to want a Feral Rex, but this costs as much as 1,5 of them and (I think?) it's bigger. It's pretty much the same price as five voyagers (now that TRU stopped having insane SEK prices for those), and the end result is huge. I sold my G1 Fort Max recently so this slots in as my biggest Transformer now. He won't fit in my normal display but he'll get a prominent space somewhere else. Even with the drawbacks on the individual figures, the final Predaking is a 9/10 with very little wrong with him.
I've had mine for a couple weeks and while I was originally really turned off by several things it is really nice in person and a ton of fun to work with, pose and transform.

Outside the wings, I think he looks pretty good overall without applying any stickers. The stickers on the Platinum G1 toy were a nightmare.

The DNA add on kit fixes several of the issues I had with the figure, and doesn't use stickers for the wings so you can avoid that altogether.

DNA-Predaking-01.jpg

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Is KO discussion / screenshots allowed here?

Just wanted to share some photos of my newly acquired Jinbao OS Gravity Builder Set B (Mixmaster & Scrapper).

38885518_10217155292577210_339680394980884480_n.jpg

38869773_10217155294417256_1711735988637663232_n.jpg

38846457_10217155291177175_1610396510166450176_n.jpg

38774888_10217155295777290_3325943728228532224_n.jpg

38660726_10217136551228688_5984506464155205632_n.jpg

38797740_10217136592709725_2435723958411067392_n.jpg

38633658_10217136552028708_7582057770816372736_n.jpg

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Just wanted to share some photos of my newly acquired Jinbao OS Gravity Builder Set B (Mixmaster & Scrapper).

38885518_10217155292577210_339680394980884480_n.jpg

38869773_10217155294417256_1711735988637663232_n.jpg

38846457_10217155291177175_1610396510166450176_n.jpg

38774888_10217155295777290_3325943728228532224_n.jpg

38660726_10217136551228688_5984506464155205632_n.jpg

38797740_10217136592709725_2435723958411067392_n.jpg

38633658_10217136552028708_7582057770816372736_n.jpg

Oh man I had finally forgotten about gravity builder. I almost spent the $700? on the whole set just because gravity builder is the best looking devastator out there. Now I'm gonna be fighting to stop myself from buying it all over again.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017

Nice! Those figures are awesome. I have set A, and I'm definitely getting set B next month.

They fit well enough with my CHUG figures, and Devastator is going to be massive. :D

Oct 30, 2017
How is the qiality on those Jinbao KOs? I thought I read that they simplified the figures somewhat from the originals. I love that the team all have battle masks and actually look good individually. The originals were just too expensive for me though. I'd love a cheaper alternative, if the quality is there.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
How is the qiality on those Jinbao KOs? I thought I read that they simplified the figures somewhat from the originals. I love that the team all have battle masks and actually look good individually. The originals were just too expensive for me though. I'd love a cheaper alternative, if the quality is there.

Are you thinking of the NBK KOs? Those are simplified. They're cheap, but from what I read and seen, they're not good.

The Jinbao versions don't feel cheap at all, and while there are apparently minor differences, they look pretty much like oversized versions of the original.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I never display figures in boxes, but this one's too nice, I have to make an exception. My local Wal mart had 8, i picked the mintest box.

f5KwNrq_d.jpg

Good thing I can open it without destroying it, too. :)

djg2XLQ.jpg

xF86bu7.jpg

Also ordered two Tailgates online, one to keep MISC.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Are you thinking of the NBK KOs? Those are simplified. They're cheap, but from what I read and seen, they're not good.

The Jinbao versions don't feel cheap at all, and while there are apparently minor differences, they look pretty much like oversized versions of the original.
The plastic feels really good but I have never touched the originals from GT. Supposedly the Jinbao offer some extra joints, have no idea which are those though. The only minor issues I have are that some parts are not very tight and won't stay in place when you move them. Someone suggested I use tape or polish to make them tighter

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Future floor polish is great for loose joints.

The only part that is really loose on the first set is Scavenger's chest part that's supposed to tab just below his head. Everything else is fine. The ratcheted limbs are great.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Some good improvements on the design but it's such a weird size it doesn't scale with anything else, so it's only really useful if you just want a big Optimus for display somewhere on its own. And if you're cool with piracy, of course.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's probably the best version of the MP-10 mold you can get, in that case. The improvements they made and the extra die cast do make a difference.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Future floor polish is great for loose joints.

The only part that is really loose on the first set is Scavenger's chest part that's supposed to tab just below his head. Everything else is fine. The ratcheted limbs are great.
That was the worst but I got a couple more...

EmGo review for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlOyfabZIv8
- Haven't been able to fit the pointy part in 7:51
- Getting the groin parts together in 8:22 wasn't easy at all
- Same for the grey part in 8:35

Also with Bonecrusher, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmdj4BeCtg
- 7:36 same as Scavenger above
- 8:29, same as Scavenger, getting the legs inside.
- 10:33, only on the right hand, the purple part that closes on the hand is very loose, this one is probably the most annoying, hand won't stay in place...

Maybe i'll have to look into the floor polish stuff.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
One of the best part of the issue is how
Megatron's canon isn't a canon anymore as he uses it to carry his tools for helping fix up Cybertronians.

I absolutely, completely missed that. It's such a Roberts thing to do. Thanks for the heads up. :)

What I loved is
that his cannon is from Animated, which I don't think we had seen before in the IDW G1 continuity comics.

b9zRVus.jpg

Megatronanimated.jpg

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So I finally saw the Cyberverse toys. I guess it's like the RID line, more for kids but with no cartoon? Because if I miss out on the last few waves of PotP because of this stuff, I'm going to be upset.

Wildstrike

Jan 18, 2018
So I finally saw the Cyberverse toys. I guess it's like the RID line, more for kids but with no cartoon? Because if I miss out on the last few waves of PotP because of this stuff, I'm going to be upset.

There is a cartoon..

Both it and the toys seem aimed at very young kids.. lots of gimmicks (spinning arm blasters etc.. and some of the toys don't have a proper bot mode, you get a mid transform with an 'action feature' instead..
250px-TF-Cyberverse-Scout-Class-Bumblebee.jpg

..a shame because some of the character designs are quite nice..

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
There is a cartoon..

Both it and the toys seem aimed at very young kids.. lots of gimmicks (spinning arm blasters etc.. and some of the toys don't have a proper bot mode, you get a mid transform with an 'action feature' instead..
250px-TF-Cyberverse-Scout-Class-Bumblebee.jpg

..a shame because some of the character designs are quite nice..

Fuck. They gave Bumblebee the stupid radio voices. Not that I liked him to begin with, but this makes me hate him even more. Just give Bumblebee a normal voice, dammit.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Fuck. They gave Bumblebee the stupid radio voices. Not that I liked him to begin with, but this makes me hate him even more. Just give Bumblebee a normal voice, dammit.

It's so much worse now that he has a mouth that doesn't move. At least Windblade is similarly annoyed by it. So is this the replacement for Rescue Heroes then?

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Wait, isn't this a follow up to RiD? Did Bumblebee lose his voice at the end of the series or something? You know, after getting it back at the end of Prime?

Or is this another case of "This is a direct sequel to the previous series, but we're ignoring everything."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Hmm... finally found Hun-gurr, Blackwing, and Elita-1 in the wild. And then I come home and see all are available on amazon anyway. Oh well, at least they're becoming easier to find.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
In a world where even 8 year olds have tablets, the notion of reading comics on a screen that small seems a little ridiculous.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
In a world where even 8 year olds have tablets, the notion of reading comics on a screen that small seems a little ridiculous.

I've seen people read comics on their phones; I mean, it's not something I'd do, but still. You're not confined to the Switch's screen either. I actually read comics on my living room TV because my PC is connected to my TV and I'd rather read books or play Vita games during commutes; it's really nice, and you can do the same with your Switch.

Also, Netflix's success kind of proved that people would rather have an all-you-can-consume buffet for a monthly fee than pay per title, so $8 a month to read all you want is probably more attractive to a lot of people.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested. I don't have a tablet and it seems like a cheap alternative to actually buying the comics. I've been meaning to get into them for years.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Netflix's success kind of proved that people would rather have an all-you-can-consume buffet for a monthly fee than pay per title, so $8 a month to read all you want is probably more attractive to a lot of people.

Well yeah, that's why I have Marvel Unlimited and a Comixology subscription on devices that have screens larger than a graham cracker. Reading comics on my TV? Obviously feasible but I like to see the art up close, so that's a non-starter. I just think it's hilarious that no matter how awkward or poorly suited for a task the Switch may be, people will find a way to bend over backwards to make it a great idea in their heads.

I mean, cool if it gets the IDW series into more hands but I suppose at this point it doesn't really matter anymore.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Finally got around to opening some of the smaller figures like Outback and Slash... man I love this line, even with the gimmick of having to have a place to fit a figure. And it felt like Outback/Brawn was such a basic transformation but it's done well and the heels are a nice touch.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Hello everyone! Nice to find this thread, as i am a huge TF fan. (As well as being a member of TFW2005 for the better part of 8 years so far)

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Cyberverse cartoon is the replacement for RiD, not Rescue Bots. They haven't yet said whether or not it's part of the "Alligned Continuity" that both of those belong to (along with TF Prime, the High Moon Studios games, and a handful of novels).

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

The old decipher star wars CCG was a needlessly complicated mess, and a major stumbling block that prevented it from growing beyond a niche product in the competitive CCG market.

Simplicity is what most folks want with CCG style games nowadays, but that doesn't mean a game has no tactical depth. Star Wars Destiny is so simple to play and learn, but is loved and full of deep tactical options. FFG's Star Wars LCG was also a fantastic game that was far better than Deciphers convoluted game. Most card game designers have learned to not go the way of the overly complex card games, during the CCG boon so many games kept trying to be more in depth and deep, but all it did was make them bloated messes. So many games coming out in that era had these massive rulebooks, it was silly, and they got more complicated as expansions released. The CCG market could not thrive on such games that had high barriers on entry, and required a hardcore gamer base to enjoy. A casual market is what everyone targets now

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yep PanzerKraken better to start things out simple with good flow to get lots of people in, then add on layers over time. Since we already know Titan cards are a thing, next layer will probably be Combiners late next year. Can't wait to play the game, just need to find a shop

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the Star Trek CCG was way more obtuse than Star Wars honestly. Doesn't help that games could take ages. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You're right of course. Broadening your demographics is a sound business approach. I wonder though, how many kids and teens are growing up with Transformers? I know it's popular in China, but in the US I'm not so sure. I see movie Bumblebee toys in stores but the TCG uses the retro designs, right? Who is it appealing to other than the adult male crowd?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I thought the Star Trek CCG was way more obtuse than Star Wars honestly. Doesn't help that games could take ages. Ain't nobody got time for that.

You're right of course. Broadening your demographics is a sound business approach. I wonder though, how many kids and teens are growing up with Transformers? I know it's popular in China, but in the US I'm not so sure. I see movie Bumblebee toys in stores but the TCG uses the retro designs, right? Who is it appealing to other than the adult male crowd?

Transformers has had a large place in the toy aisle for decades now, and lots of cartoons. I'd say the IP gets a ton of exposure to kids and adults. Now I'm not exactly sure what the demographics of TCG players are and how tough a new one is to market, but I think the IP at least is popular enough.