• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and there's three energon cubes buried in some compound that comes with the Ultra magnus set.

I was kind of hoping he'd have his cape and hood from the trailer.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
HD Trailer for the WFC Netflix show:

Looks like a significant step up from the Machinima garbage, at least in terms of lighting/design/etc. The Optimus voice is still a Cullen impression, but an actually passable one compared to Cyberverse. Almost sounds younger.

If the story turns out well, I think it'll be pretty good.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
HD Trailer for the WFC Netflix show:

Looks like a significant step up from the Machinima garbage, at least in terms of lighting/design/etc. The Optimus voice is still a Cullen impression, but an actually passable one compared to Cyberverse. Almost sounds younger.

If the story turns out well, I think it'll be pretty good.

I had no issues with the Machinima series' visuals but I'm generally easy to please (e.g. I find TF Animated perfectly serviceable), it was the plot that didn't seem much more complex than good toys vs evil toys and made me not very interested in it. From the trailer this doesn't seem very different, which seems like such a waste of pretty cool visuals.

I can't fault Hasbro though. I understand it must be hard to market your products to a demographic almost evenly spread between 5 to 50 years old.

Nov 1, 2017
It looks good to me, we got the classic battle for Cybertron and I have no doubt the characters will change and evolve in various ways during it's run. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted and what most of the fanbase has said it's wanted for ages.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the new photos, I'm not feeling this Earthrise Arcee. Even the new Cyberverse Deluxe version of her looks more interesting. Chromia also has a much cooler design in the Cyberverse show than her Siege mold from what I've seen.

I got way more Siege figures than I anticipated due to character choices or just fun molds but Earthrise is looking disappointing so far. Too many do-overs instead of guys like Skytread, Impactor, Spinister, and Rung, with even more Sunbow-worship in the character designs. I'll probably pick up the inevitable Thundercracker from this Starscream mold, but nothing else looks like a purchase right now. Maybe Sky Lynx if he gets a really good sale down the line.

Just give me a good Nautica already, Hasbro.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Doubledealer on the show floor has much better colors. Hope the real one matches that instead of the render.

My 1 year free pulse premium membership is still active it seems and I was able to pre order a bunch of stuff. Got everything I wanted Leader and up, never see those hardly on shelves here.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights of Toy Fair for me;

Dedepticon Mirage
Runamuck
Alicon
SS Cliffjumper
Hotlink
Smokescreen

Maybes:

Blind box Ultra Magnus
Blitzwing
Skylynx
WfC show Megatron

Lots of questionable choices this year.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Dope box art and Coneheads!
f703badd-7bc4-47de-b26f-d4e4990d32e6-jpeg.28546626

Also on Hasbro Pulse Sky Lynx's description mentions an Astroscope figure. Neat that they're getting some Minicons in the Micromaster format.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I remember a number of years ago, when Amiibo had just come out and they were flying off the shelves, I think it was Michael Pachter who said that Hasbro would be crazy to not be putting little plastic cards with NFC chips into their Transformers toys, so that if you bought a toy you could eventually use the card to unlock that particular toy for use in a Transformers videogame.

Just something that popped into my head when I thought "Transformers game for Switch".

The weird thing is, it's not like Japan hasn't had something similar for years with barcode battlers and the like. Or that even Takara didn't get into videogame/toy amalgamations with Web Diver or NFC stuff with snack world. I think the problem is more that the only games they have are mobile games like Earth Wars, and they don't want to unlock characters with toys, they want you to pay hundreds of dollars to get them via gacha.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Hahah, ouch. Although to be fair they sometimes featured in modern cartoons too, right?

Conversely, it's kind of surprising how little they've been featured in the IDW comic, considering the deep cuts regularly featured there.

I'm not sure if they showed up in anything other than Energon in the last two decades.

And besides, with all those cool bots do you really think kids would want a metallic kinder egg with masks attached to the side that transforms into a pip with a drawbridge leading to a tiny prison over just about... anything else?

I remember a few small teases and appearances in the IDW series but they didn't really do much.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm not sure if they showed up in anything other than Energon in the last two decades.

And besides, with all those cool bots do you really think kids would want a metallic kinder egg with masks attached to the side that transforms into a pip with a drawbridge leading to a tiny prison over just about... anything else?

I remember a few small teases and appearances in the IDW series but they didn't really do much.

I see, I was led astray by this, but I guess it's a "what if" and they never appeared on the show (or at least I can't find any references):
fwR4BezqOLaTmHVFW8KNc94K9_hO44l71xrtVnDMrdZGHFDXGutE_L39-EKKQ9VwiLYx0RFXsfPErONsfSKq_fY9_o3LoZpWF-zHy7b_2WmuBdIwDAbVUeTl-XYNhkGrlZWRMhZd3pwZlZs

And yeah, a Quintesson would be a garbage tier present for any kid, like those awful movie cars that just have a flat robot wafer on the underside. :D

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to find anywhere in Europe that has a good selection of Transformers to get Hoist, Grapple and the Powertrain/Highjump set, but one or two of them are always out of stock (or not available yet). I've had to pay ridiculous import fees recently so I'd hope for a local alternative, but that just doesn't seem to work out. I think I missed my shot at Omega Supreme too, he's around €250+ everywhere I look and I'm just not paying that much for him.

After two toy shops here closed down there's not many actually local places either, and one mostly does stupid knockoffs rather than actual Transformers. They occasionally bring in Generations but it's super unreliable.

Since I'll need to get the Seacons off The Chosen Prime anyway I might just add some more to the import taxes on that order.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm trying to find anywhere in Europe that has a good selection of Transformers to get Hoist, Grapple and the Powertrain/Highjump set, but one or two of them are always out of stock (or not available yet). I've had to pay ridiculous import fees recently so I'd hope for a local alternative, but that just doesn't seem to work out. I think I missed my shot at Omega Supreme too, he's around €250+ everywhere I look and I'm just not paying that much for him.

After two toy shops here closed down there's not many actually local places either, and one mostly does stupid knockoffs rather than actual Transformers. They occasionally bring in Generations but it's super unreliable.

Since I'll need to get the Seacons off The Chosen Prime anyway I might just add some more to the import taxes on that order.

Aren't you better trying Kapow Toys/Indemand/Omegalock ?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any word if they're going to reprint Skywarp for the War for Cybertron line and not make it an Amazon exclusive this time? Kind of sucks that they made one of the three a limited store exclusive.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I also picked up Smashdown, as you can see, and he's a really fun war-hammer weapon with a neat little blast effect, but it's insane that Ironhide (the best match for this battle master, imo) can't hold him because his hand ports are too large in diameter. So that was a bummer.

I gave Smashdown a try with my own Ironhide, and it was fine. I'm sure some floor polish would fix things for you.

8z6ukHx.jpg

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey All,

I hit up the NYC Toy Fair today and while I was at the Hasbro showroom I took a pretty detailed video of their upcoming and current releases for the Transformers line. I have to say that Skorponok looks amazing in person, and I am super excited for the Quintesson that is finally coming out.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions, I might be able to answer the, for you.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey All,

I hit up the NYC Toy Fair today and while I was at the Hasbro showroom I took a pretty detailed video of their upcoming and current releases for the Transformers line. I have to say that Skorponok looks amazing in person, and I am super excited for the Quintesson that is finally coming out.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions, I might be able to answer the, for you.

I'm assuming Scorp's feet are mistransformed? Otherwise he does look really cool.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Scorp's feet are mistransformed? Otherwise he does look really cool.
Yeah compared to the renders his toes should be extended in bot mode. Otherwise hollowness aside, it is nice to have a titan size that has both side to side ankle tilt and front to back tilt. I think Warden also said he had waist articulation so probably the most bendy titan yet.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there really a dedicated fanbase for the movies that are clamoring for super accurate versions of those characters? I don't understand this whole Studio Series thing.
I'm not into SS in general but movie Devastator is such a unique design that for a long time was never really realized in toy form (outside the legends). I had to have him. He can go on the shelf with Bumblebee Optimus and that can be my movie collection :P

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not into SS in general but movie Devastator is such a unique design that for a long time was never really realized in toy form (outside the legends). I had to have him. He can go on the shelf with Bumblebee Optimus and that can be my movie collection :P

I'm kind of interested in movie Devastator (despite never actually making it through the entire movie) but it seems like a PITA to track all the figures down at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember standing in the store looking at the Devastator released alongside the movie and thinking "they'll never ever ever make new combiners so maybe I should just pick up this piece of junk". And then ten years later I have Defensor, Computron, Abominus, Bruticus and Predaking with Piranacon on the way. Like, who would have thought?

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Wish they'd revisit the Transformers Prime designs. I didn't get those while they were available and now after a rewatch of the show I'm kicking myself.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wish they'd revisit the Transformers Prime designs. I didn't get those while they were available and now after a rewatch of the show I'm kicking myself.

Yeah, they're pretty good and very unique. The current halfway cartoon stuff doesn't quite cut it, the Animated stuff had some very ingenious transformations to give the robots those highly stylized looks.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of interested in movie Devastator (despite never actually making it through the entire movie) but it seems like a PITA to track all the figures down at this point.
There has been rumors of a gift set going around, so it may be simpler to pick up that if it happens. 2 of the set just went up for preorder, and one of the feet is getting rereleased as a different color. That still leaves 5 to track down though, and just judging from my area Long Haul, Scrapmetal, and Scavenger are the hardest to find.

But yeah, with Overload stretching out into late 2020 this seems like one of the longest stretches of time that a single combiner was spread out release wise. Combiner wars IIRC at most just straddled adjacent waves. Maybe Seacons if you count all the delays they seem to be having.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone here follow Cyberverse? I thought seasons 1 and 2 were fine for what they were, but I just caught up on season 3 and it is WILD (and a MASSIVE step up).

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The upscaled version of the JinBao Gravity Builder set (Devastator KO) arrived yesterday. eBay came through for me. These are some very impressive toys for being KO's. I mean, you can see minor bits and pieces that might have received a bit more quality control from a more prestigious brand, but overall they are solid toys with a lot of weight and durability.

vJeHq0b.jpg

As you can see I'm in the middle of trying to get all of them in their combine modes so I can form Devastator. It's been...quite the challenge. It's not a cakewalk to transform these guys, let me tell you. The instructions are only good for reference, at best, and I'm having to rely heavily on transformation videos online.

Scale wise these guys are large in their individual robot modes. Probably leader class? (I'm no expert) But putting one of Devastator's feet next to Omega Supreme yields an impressive comparison.
871lJ0r.jpg

I'll be sure to post a couple more photos when I get him all put together.

Nov 1, 2017
To win they may have to kill their world.

Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy
It is the final hours of the devastating civil war between the Autobots and Decepticons. The war that has torn apart their home planet of Cybertron is at a tipping point. Two leaders, Optimus Prime and Megatron, both want to save their world and unify their people, but only on their own terms. In an attempt to end the conflict, Megatron is forced to consider using the Allspark, the source of all life and power on Cybertron, to "reformat" the Autobots, thus "unifying" Cybertron. Outnumbered, outgunned, and under SIEGE, the battle-weary Autobots orchestrate a desperate series of counterstrikes on a mission that, if everything somehow goes right, will end with an unthinkable choice: kill their planet in order to save it.