• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bringing up Dave is relevant because for him transgender people are a joke. But what transgender people have to go through in life is absolutely not a laughing matter. What Dave does is mean and it normalizes transphobia. It doesn't matter that Dorman was okay with Dave.

The person looking to break into the comedy world was offered to open for a huge comedian with influence who also just happened to have a transphobic image problem. Something that would weigh heavy on anyone's mind, especially someone that works closely with her community and sees the effects of transphobia firsthand.

And like I said right on cue the Chapelle defense force comes in "b b but she was ok with it, don't mention his name!". Ignorance of how self depreciation works and what people do for acceptance and how they can be influenced.

Fuck Dave Chapelle and his Normalization of transphoba, fuck his stans and fuck ALL the fake ass allies to the transgender community willing to throw them under the bus at the drop of a fucking hat.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't see the connection between societal transphobic messages and the epidemic of suicides and murders of people who are trans, you're not paying attention.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I saw the suicide post on Facebook, not sure why the op and some news sites are trying to drag Dave into it when Daphne herself was on record as being a ok with him?

My heart breaks for the child who not only lost a parent but now will have to endure people making her moms death some kind of talking point. I hope they are young enough to stay away from online.

What a horrible situation
Yeah, shame on people for making the epidemic of trans suicide a talking point after someone transgender commits suicide. Clearly, transphobia has nothing to do with that epidemic.

This is the same dumbass nonsense you get with people saying the victims of mass shootings are being disrespected when people inevitably start talking about gun control.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Peeps need to back off the OP. Pretty sure the thread title was chosen in good faith, neither to apportion any blame to Chappelle nor diminish Dorman in any way.

Damn.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Peeps need to back off the OP. Pretty sure the thread title was chosen in good faith, neither to apportion any blame to Chappelle nor diminish Dorman in any way.

Damn.

I agree with you 100%.

I am hoping the reasoning for the suicide is found out.

Daphne was also an activist and a kind soul from what I have seen

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't know Dave was targeting anyone in particular. I actually praised his set, I think even on this site. This is really sad. Joking in general is one thing, but targeting an actual individual in such a way..... wow. That's just cruel and spiteful.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know Dave was targeting anyone in particular. I actually praised his set, I think even on this site. This is really sad. Joking in general is one thing, but targeting an actual individual in such a way..... wow. That's just cruel and spiteful.

No that's not what happened. Daphne endorsed his jokes. She was personally cool with it. That's why she was brought up by Dave, that he had received her laughter and support.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather than post links to her work to appreciate what she controbuted, people are bickering about Dave and who's responsible for what.

Can we not just appreciate her life for what it was?

At the end of the day a life was lost prematurely.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No that's not what happened. Daphne endorsed his jokes. She was personally cool with it. That's why she was brought up by Dave, that he had received her laughter and support.
You should make that clear in OP. Lay the facts out plainly otherwise people will keep hopping in with confirmation bias.

Oct 25, 2017
Does Dave Chapelle need a defense force? He's being paid millions of dollars by Netflix to show the world that he's less funny now than he was 15 years ago.

Daphne was not famous enough on her own to demand that Dave be left out of the story, she has 625 Twitter followers. This is not a news story without Dave's association.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I'm not too surprised that people are taking Daphne's "acceptance" of Dave's comedy at face value. Non-cishet people get punched down by society all the time, and are frequently told to stay quiet and smile along if they want to be accepted, and that often leads to a lot of bottled-up self loathing. Such a tragedy all around. RIP.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too surprised that people are taking Daphne's "acceptance" of Dave's comedy at face value. Non-cishet people get punched down by society all the time, and are frequently told to stay quiet and smile along if they want to be accepted, and that often leads to a lot of bottled-up self loathing. Such a tragedy all around. RIP.

I'm not surprised that once again people create a narrative with their own interpretations of what they think happened/was going on in a person's mind, completely ignoring what they actually said. Enough of the armchair psychology. There's a link in this very thread where Daphne explains how she came to be opening for Dave

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RIP :(

Another one that could've stayed in the world, if it wasn't so fucking backward.

I'm sorry but do we have any idea on why she committed suicide?

People are ssuming a whole lot in this topic without knowing a single fact.

Depression is a big thing and it could have been absolutely nothing to so with her being trans

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but do we have any idea on why she committed suicide?

People are ssuming a whole lot in this topic without knowing a single fact.

Depression is a big thing and it could have been absolutely nothing to so with her being trans

I have looked around and I can't find anything concrete about the reason why.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happens way too often. RIP.

Idk if what Chappelle said in his skit had any affect on what happened, but fuck him and fuck anyone who defends him. The Chappelle defense force on Era should have been banned already by now, not surprised it isn't. Somehow even in the most liberal circles, trans folks being the butt end of a joke is accepted.

"But she was laughing" will be the defense of those who were never bullied and have no understanding of self depreciation defense tactics for acceptance. Fuck those who still think punching down is all fun and games.

RIP

Good post.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Shame Chappelle is mentioned in the thread title. Seems to be derailing what is tragic news about a talented person in her own right. RIP. I hope this brings more focus towards suicide (especially Transgender suicide). It's so horrific.

Mar 29, 2018
God damn. Awful. All the best to her daughter and family

I don't see why the Chapelle reference is relevant. He simply said he sparked a friendship with her.

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
It's Chappelle and people like him who are complicit or even outright responsible for the deaths of transgender people.

You know she was opening for him, right?

This is not just about her. And people have also explained that opening was a huge opportunity for her, how OK she really was with him we'll never really know.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody in this thread is saying that she committed suicide because of Dave. But are you really arguing that the extremely high rate of suicides among trans people has nothing to do with how society treats them?
No. But I don't think it's healthy to assume anything. Era has a history wrongfully assuming things. I think it's disrespectful in a way.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Rest in peace.
We don't know if the special is the cause or not, either way, I want to say fuck Dave Chappelle.

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
They are certainly implying it.

Noone is implying it. This is not just about Droman and the reasons why she did what she did. The fact of the matter is that here we have yet another trans person, an acquaintance/colleague of Dave Chappelle no less, who committed suicide. Why are trans people prone to commit suicide? Because of how the rest of society treats them. But for Dave Chappelle this is shits and giggles.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I'm not surprised that once again people create a narrative with their own interpretations of what they think happened/was going on in a person's mind, completely ignoring what they actually said. Enough of the armchair psychology. There's a link in this very thread where Daphne explains how she came to be opening for Dave

It's revolting how many people in this thread have shrugged off Daphne's agency and are asserting on her behalf.

That is really, really fucked up.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The title of the thread sounds like Chappelle had something to do with it. Can it be reworded? Referenced in a bad or good way? I haven't watched it but it sounds like no foul play by him.

Very sad news indeed.

KKBB

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Noone is implying it. This is not just about Droman and the reasons why she did what she did. The fact of the matter is that here we have yet another trans person, an acquaintance/colleague of Dave Chappelle no less, who committed suicide. Why are trans people prone to commit suicide? Because of how the rest of society treats them. But for Dave Chappelle this is shits and giggles.

How is that not you implying Chappelle's words contributed to her death?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall seeing this person in the special or their name being specifically mentioned. Was this in the after the stand up show where Dave is just doing Q&A with the audience? I watched that too.

MikeyLikesIt

Banned
Sep 24, 2019
How is that not you implying Chappelle's words contributed to her death?

Not her specifically. She may have been fine with his jokes as she claimed. But there are a lot of people who aren't. See, it's not just about offending a certain group of people. These kinds of jokes normalize transphobia, which has a real impact on the trans community.