• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I'm so jealous of the potential jurors that got to have their anti Trump posts read directly to him. If only...

Dec 30, 2020
Only 3 pages of prior criminal acts that were uncharged that they're going to use for impeachment? They should be hauling this notice in like it's children's letters to Santa Claus.
3aO8Vp.gif

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Trump being forced to be in court and falling asleep just fills me with the warm fuzzies. Well that and him having to read memes about himself. Please give us more of this deliciousness.

Nov 2, 2019
If you think that's bad, check out this Tweet from Clay Travis:

View: https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/1779871756901064710

But then again, what do you expect from one of the guys who replaced Rush Limbaugh on the radio?

Good luck with that. 1. The numbers aren't in your favor. 2. Having a supporter on the jury isn't a guarantee. I know it's not Trump but Paul Manifort had a vocal MAGA Trumper on the jury and even admitted once she saw the evidence she couldn't not vote to convict.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Trump being forced to be in court and falling asleep just fills me with the warm fuzzies. Well that and him having to read memes about himself. Please give us more of this deliciousness.

It's like a Law & Order version of Jimmy Kimmel's mean tweets, but not set up in advance and filtered for the truly mean stuff. I love it.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having one of my Trump shitposts read out loud in front of him by either me or a judge in my presence would be memorialized on my grave.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The meme reading is so gratifying and unexpected it made my day. It's now something I can always remember and smile inside and out. And this is only the beginning. He's gonna have to sit there for months, day after day listening too his crimes broken down meticulously. Can't react or he gets in trouble. For months. It truly is a special hell for him.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
A really excellent detailed write-up of days 1 and 2 here, by my new favourite Tyler McBrien at Lawfare.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

All the insults Trump was forced to suffer through during jury selection

Dancing in the streets

"So I hear what sounds like a cowbell," Merchan, the judge, said as he listened to a video posted to Facebook four years ago by a high-school teacher and mother of two.

She was the first of the prospective jurors who were challenged by Trump's defense team on Tuesday over their "anti-Trump" social-media posts.

Her Facebook video showed Manhattanites laughing, cheering, and dancing in the streets after Joe Biden's 2020 presidential victory.

2. 'Get him out and lock him up'

Then there were the social-media posts of the juror identified as "B-38," a middle-aged man from Midtown who works as a creative director for Lands' End.

"Good news," he posted on Facebook in 2017, soon after Trump took office. "Trump lost his court battle and his unlawful travel ban."

In another post from around that time, he said, "Get him out and lock him up" and "Watch out for stupid tweets by DJT."
Not the prospective juror's own Facebook, mind you. The account of the prospective juror's husband.

The husband also posted a meme in 2016 showing Trump and then-President Barack Obama side by side. It was captioned, "I don't think this is what they meant by 'orange is the new black.'"

And finally, the husband posted, again in 2016, "Just a meme of a character holding President Trump's head in their hands," Blanche complained. The head, he said, was severed.

"I guess it is a character from the Simpsons," the judge offered querulously.

"Yes, your honor," Blanche answered.
They included some Biden-Harris campaign promotions and a news story headlined "Trump indicted in documents case."

They also included what Blanche complainingly described as "a one-minute-and-30-second video, titled "I Am Dumb Fuck Trump."

"This is a parody video," Blanche huffed of the AI-generated clip, "that mocks President Trump the whole time."
The final prospective juror questioned on their social-media posts was a retired grandmother from Manhattan's Lower East Side.
"Trump invites Thai boys to White House," the meme read. "Boys request to return to cave."

"Republicans projected to pick up 70 seats in prison,
" read another meme,

www.businessinsider.com

A beheading meme and 'Mark Ruffalo, naked' — how 'anti-Trump' posts got 5 New Yorkers booted from the hush-money trial

Some hilarious "anti-Trump" memes have been read aloud at his hush-money trial. Trump was not laughing.

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
My question is how do the lawyers have access to those facebook posts?
Do the potential jurors give them their passwords? Are their pages open to public?
You go to my page, and if you're not a "friend", all you see is my profile pic.
Wouldn't pillaging their pages be some violation of their rights?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
My question is how do the lawyers have access to those facebook posts?
Do the potential jurors give them their passwords? Are their pages open to public?
You go to my page, and if you're not a "friend", all you see is my profile pic.
Wouldn't pillaging their pages be some violation of their rights?

it might have been part of the questionnaire. i was in the jury pool for a trial this/last week (and ultimately was not selected from the pool), and questions included things like have you had positive interactions with the police, do you know someone who committed suicide, etc. prosecution and defense ask potential jurors about their answers because their goal is to (should be) to have a fair and impartial jury, who is willing to hear both sides and judge the case based on the evidence and not external factors.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
it might have been part of the questionnaire. i was in the jury pool for a trial this/last week (and ultimately was not selected from the pool), and questions included things like have you had positive interactions with the police, do you know someone who committed suicide, etc. prosecution and defense ask potential jurors about their answers because their goal (should be) to have a fair and impartial jury, who is willing to hear both sides and judge the case based on the evidence and not external factors.
Yeah and I imagine plenty of people want to weasel out of this so they hand it over knowing they'll get excused

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the judge was questioning the defense on how they knew those profiles were the correct ones.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Day 3, 7 jurors seated already. Both defense and prosecution down to 4 peremptory challenges left for remaining 5 of the main jury. Then 6 alternates with 2 peremptory challenges per side for each. Another 96 potential jurors in the next batch.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm sitting on 6th ave right now one block from central park enjoying a casual breakfast at Jams with my wife as we celebrate 20 years of marriage.

You know, rather than being forced to sit in court not far from here listening to insults people posted about me on the internet.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With how high profile this case is Marchan will have to impose a complete gag order on everyone in the courtroom regarding the jurors. With what has been released all of them will be identified within a week or two.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The press should be fine to report on general details of the juror's social media and watching behavior (Has a Facebook, posted politician memes, watches Fox and/or MSNBC, etc).

The press should -NOT- be able to report on physical or identifying details of a juror, like having an Irish accent, hair color, from which part of town, etc.

I would think the distinction and ethics should be obvious.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The press should be fine to report on general details of the juror's social media and watching behavior (Has a Facebook, posted politician memes, watches Fox and/or MSNBC, etc).

The press should -NOT- be able to report on physical or identifying details of a juror, like having an Irish accent, hair color, from which part of town, etc.

I would think the distinction and ethics should be obvious.
Even detailing the specifics of the memes is going to flag people to family etc. Not sure exactly what can be done there.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Will the jury be sequestered? I can't imagine whether people could cope nowadays without their phones... ^^