sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
They gambled that the DA couldn't be ready for trial that quickly and that they'd therefore be let off. Bad bet.
There are times where this works. For example, in the late 80s then-District Attorney Rudy Giuliani made a highly public arrest of three Wall Street executives for alleged insider trading. When they refused to plead guilty and the government was required to bring its case under the Speedy Trial Act, he was forced to drop the charges because he wasn't ready for trial.

www.latimes.com

Giuliani Gaffe Leaves Wall St. Executives in Legal Limbo

Three prominent Wall Street executives, arrested just over two years ago in a dramatic raid by federal agents, seem destined to remain in legal limbo, neither charged nor cleared.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
There are times where this works. For example, in the late 80s then-District Attorney Rudy Giuliani made a highly public arrest of three Wall Street executives for alleged insider trading. When they refused to plead guilty and the government was required to bring its case under the Speedy Trial Act, he was forced to drop the charges because he wasn't ready for trial.

www.latimes.com

Three prominent Wall Street executives, arrested just over two years ago in a dramatic raid by federal agents, seem destined to remain in legal limbo, neither charged nor cleared.

Enjoyed reading that Rudy was fucking things up even back in the 80s, thanks for the historical tidbit!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

www.latimes.com

HA! I wonder if was him who suggested it then.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
How utterly delightful. I love the idea that they're blindsided by this.

The ketchup will be flying...
giphy.gif

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Not gonna get my hopes up but sounds like she realised she had an easy choice between going down in history and going down in history.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Before her plea agreement, some of Trump's legal and political counselors had been working to cast Powell as a "fall guy" in the election-related cases against him and hoped to shovel the criminal exposure and blame for the failed attempt to overturn the election on to her and others, in the hopes of shielding former President Trump.

it really was quite rude of you to betray us before we could betray you

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Gee, I wonder why the typical "100% loyalty to me, 0% loyalty to you" Trump backstabbing cycle won't work when people face massive sentences and there's no pardon to be had.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna get my hopes up but sounds like she realised she had an easy choice between going down in history and going down in history.

So here's an interesting legal history question: Most significant 'flip' in history? We'll see the impact this one has, but I'd have to assume the current holder would be someone in organised crime circles? (I was about to suggest someone Capone-related, but I assume that since they ultimately got him on tax evasion there may not have been a flip involved, just some very careful checking?)

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So here's an interesting legal history question: Most significant 'flip' in history? We'll see the impact this one has, but I'd have to assume the current holder would be someone in organised crime circles? (I was about to suggest someone Capone-related, but I assume that since they ultimately got him on tax evasion there may not have been a flip involved, just some very careful checking?)
The most famous one that comes to mind for me is Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, the hitman/underboss that flipped on mafia boss John Gotti.

manifest73

Oct 28, 2017
Wow 450? I don't think I've been in a jury pool of more than 30, and that was in Los Angeles.
I've been in 2 jury pools for civil mesothelioma lawsuits, both of those had hundreds of people in the pool - think it's par for the course when there's an expectation that a large number of potential jurors are going to be disqualified.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
694ca407-094f-45ad-a417-a67e5d35910f_text.gif

Well technically with the Kracken, but still.

Also, many experts stated that this would be the ultimate goal of the rico case. Get as many people as possible to plea and then go from there. They never intended to bring anll of these people to trial. Exactly what is happening.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If you turn on CNN right now, he's flipping live on camera. The judge is explaining everything to him now as he takes the deal.