Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
My guess is some want the trial sooner because it gives a peek into what the prosecution will present that could come up for when Trump's trial takes place.

Nah they either hoped Willis was bluffing or wanted to be earlier before the more damning evidence accrued so they can flip

Lawyers are expensive AF, and not everyone has an endless pool of PAC money to fall back on. 6 months of lawyer fees vs 3 months when you know it won't change the outcome 😬

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lawyers are expensive AF, and not everyone has an endless pool of PAC money to fall back on. 6 months of lawyer fees vs 3 months when you know it won't change the outcome 😬
Yeah, about that.

I strongly suspect the reason Trump made that post on Twitter/X was to try and get a quick infusion of cash. He's been pretty steadfast about not going back, and took the opportunity to try and get as much cash in as possible.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
There is some conflicting info about the guy still in jail. I had read that the reason he was denied bail is because he was already on bail after assaulting an officer so he was determined to be more of a risk of doing more crimes if released
Floyd, a former Trump campaign employee during his 2020 campaign, had previously been charged in May with assault for attacking an FBI agent who served him a subpoena in the Department of Justice's investigation into efforts to overturn Trump's loss in the 2020 election.
www.forbes.com

Trump Co-Defendant Harrison Floyd Denied Bond: Why He’s Still In Jail

Floyd is the only one of the 18 co-defendants still in custody.

I mean still seems like bullshit considering all the crimes these rich men have done and Trump will likely do now that he is released, but I guess that's the legal system for you.

Oct 26, 2017
Sho_Nuff82 SwordsmanofS I think you both hit the nail on the head.

If you're paying for a defense attorney essentially out of pocket for a trial like this where the lawyers can bleed you dry going through tons of discovery, suggesting random motions, and conducting "forensic" investigations, then a speedy trial might help you not live in a cardboard box if you manage to get an acquittal. And if you know you're probably going to prison, then you may just try to get the best plea deal possible and still have some money to go home to after you serve some time.

Trump's sudden return to Twitter (particularly with this indictment and not the prior 3) does suggest this was purely about rebuilding his dwindling war-chest. He did just hire a new attorney, so it's possible they also demanded an upfront payment.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hearing a lot of chatter about the defendants nearly unanimously filing to have the case moved to federal court. As someone who hasn't been following this minute to minute like others, is that likely to happen? I'm assuming if it does, it would likely bode well for the defendants, since they're the ones asking for it? if so, why? I don't know how most of this works lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've been hearing a lot of chatter about the defendants nearly unanimously filing to have the case moved to federal court. As someone who hasn't been following this minute to minute like others, is that likely to happen? I'm assuming if it does, it would likely bode well for the defendants, since they're the ones asking for it? if so, why? I don't know how most of this works lol
Federal RICO laws are much narrower. It's why they're brutal but harder to make a case on. There's no standing tho as the crime was specifically in Georgia and many of the points occurred or involved it as well

Nich

Oct 26, 2017

They want it so that if Trump wins in 2024, they can get a Presidential pardon, which they can't for state-level convictions.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I think it is unlikely. Meadows is saying his intervention is part of his duties, but that is not true as it is a violation of the hatch act for him as chief of staff to work on election stuff.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017

It's not "nearly unanimously", as it's only available for people holding federal office or that have federal defenses available - that counts out most of them. So far only MEADOWS and CLARK have any sort of chance at it (and arguably TRUMP). We'll find out soon enough as MEADOWS' hearing is on Monday.

Federal RICO laws are much narrower. It's why they're brutal but harder to make a case on. There's no standing tho as the crime was specifically in Georgia and many of the points occurred or involved it as well

Even if the case moves to federal court it will be applying Georgia law. And in this case specifically Georgia RICO law. That doesn't change just because the court changes.

They want it so that if Trump wins in 2024, they can get a Presidential pardon, which they can't for state-level convictions.

Convictions in federal court will still be convictions under Georgia law, not federal law. So they will not be pardonable by a president,

Last edited:

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017

Moving to federal court doesn't change the laws being charged. It's just moving into a federal court for the court procedures and jury pool. Willis would still be in charge for the prosecution.

It's a measure to stop states acting inappropriately in prosecuting federal agents.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not "nearly unanimously", as it's only available for people holding federal office or that have federal defenses available - that counts out most of them. So far only MEADOWS and CLARK have any sort of chance at it (and arguably TRUMP). We'll find out soon enough as MEADOWS' hearing is on Monday.

Convictions in federal court will still be convictions under Georgia law, not federal law. So they will nor be pardonable by a president,

Ahh, ok. The article I read made it seem like basically all of them were trying to get that done.

So I guess my next question is, why move it to federal court? Is it a real "strategy" in the sense it would benefit them? Or is it merely a stalling tactic to draw the process out longer? (Or, I suppose both?)

Thanks for everyone else's responses! I didn't want to quote/ping everyone but it's appreciated lol

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
So I guess my next question is, why move it to federal court?

The main differences are:
1) The availability of federal defenses. Especially if the criminal activity was part of your federal job. This is Supremacy Clause stuff and it is why, for example, the US Military can't get caught by Texas' anti-abortion laws.
2) Criminal procedure is different (federal court would apply GA law but use federal procedure). This impacts the jury pool (NDGA v Fulton county), and various arcane rules about court process and filings and suchlike. Bigger jury pool is probably a reason for doing it.
3) the appeals process is different. If the case stays in state court the only appeal is to the GA supreme court, then it stops. In Federal court you get to appeal to the 11th circuit and then to SCOTUS - so more chance of delaying things.
4) Federal prisons are nicer than state prisons.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The main differences are:
1) The availability of federal defenses. Especially if the criminal activity was part of your federal job. This is Supremacy Clause stuff asd it is why, for example, the US Military can't get caught by Texas' anti-abortion laws.
2) Criminal procedure is different (federal court would apply GA law but use federal procedure). This impacts the jury pool (NDGA v Fulton county), and various arcane rules about court process and filings and suchlike. Bigger jury pool is probably a reason for doing it.
3) the appeals process is different. If the case stays in state court the only appeal is to the GA supreme court, then it stops. In Federal court you get to appeal to the 11th circuit and then to SCOTUS - so more chance of delaying things.

Gotcha, that clears things up a bit. Thanks for taking the time to clarify!

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Changed it to that, and filled out the selection screen.

donald-trump-dancingbnneee.gif

donald-trump-dancingc6riyp.gif
Legendary

One of the greatest works of art in human history

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
Sho_Nuff82 SwordsmanofS

Trump's sudden return to Twitter (particularly with this indictment and not the prior 3) does suggest this was purely about rebuilding his dwindling war-chest. He did just hire a new attorney, so it's possible they also demanded an upfront payment.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/26/trump-mugshot-fundraising-00113118

Donald Trump has turned his Georgia mugshot into a record-breaking fundraising haul.

The former president has raised $7.1 million since he was booked at an Atlanta jail Thursday evening, according to figures provided first to POLITICO by his campaign. On Friday alone, Trump raised $4.18 million, making it the single-highest 24-hour period of his campaign to date, according to a person familiar with the totals.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Moving to federal court doesn't change the laws being charged. It's just moving into a federal court for the court procedures and jury pool. Willis would still be in charge for the prosecution.

It's a measure to stop states acting inappropriately in prosecuting federal agents.
Yeah, the idea that it could change the law being applied is incredibly silly. It would mean a person being charged with a crime could say "no, no. I didn't break law X. I broke law Y so we must change courts!" Which would also change who could charge them since Fani Willis wouldn't have the power to make federal charges.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Donald Trump has turned his Georgia mugshot into a record-breaking fundraising haul.

The former president has raised $7.1 million since he was booked at an Atlanta jail Thursday evening, according to figures provided first to POLITICO by his campaign. On Friday alone, Trump raised $4.18 million, making it the single-highest 24-hour period of his campaign to date, according to a person familiar with the totals.

His lawyers must be ecstatic!

Seriously, according to the news, he spent $40 million on legal fees in the first half of this year alone. At that rate, this is barely more than one month's fees.

Trump better hope his fine print "this is a recurring donation" scam (for which he is under investigation) is firing on all cylinders.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GOP must love all their potential donations being railroaded not just toward Trump, but towards Trump's legal fund instead of his campaign fund.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a trial date that's coming closer to January than some nebulous "2025 or whenever" like the defense had argued for.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh, apparently Mark MEADOWS is taking the stand in his NDGA hearing. High risk.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Just turned on CNN and saw this, wild. What's the reason I wonder? I've heard he has a very good lawyer

He has the burder of proof here, and it's about evidence. It's always evidence. Obviously he couldn't find anyone else to testify on his behalf, so he has to. Otherwise he has no case.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Apologies, but what is this?

Usually, it is sound legal doctrine for a defendant to avoid taking the stand in a criminal proceeding; have your lawyer make all your arguments for you. The reason why is because if you take the stand and go up and testify, sure you get to directly tell the court your side of the story and your defense lawyer can make as strong a case as possible with your direct testimony. The flipside of that is that then you have to under oath directly answer questions from the prosecutor on cross examination, which can be disastrous for your case. Even in the case that you are completely innocent, it's a huge risk because the prosecutor can phrase questions in such a way as to make you look guilty. And if you lie on the stand, you can very easily get caught committing perjury if the prosecutor has evidence that any of your testimony is untrue. So, yeah, Meadows going on the stand is a very good thing because he stands to not just incriminate himself, but other people (like Trump) in the conspiracy as well.

Edit: Annnnd I didn't understand what you were asking. gg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, it is sound legal doctrine for a defendant to avoid taking the stand in a criminal proceeding; have your lawyer make all your arguments for you. The reason why is because if you take the stand and go up and testify, sure you get to directly tell the court your side of the story and your defense lawyer can make as strong a case as possible with your direct testimony. The flipside of that is that then you have to under oath directly answer questions from the prosecutor on cross examination, which can be disastrous for your case. Even in the case that you are completely innocent, it's a huge risk because the prosecutor can phrase questions in such a way as to make you look guilty. And if you lie on the stand, you can very easily get caught committing perjury if the prosecutor has evidence that any of your testimony is untrue. So, yeah, Meadows going on the stand is a very good thing because he stands to not just incriminate himself, but other people (like Trump) in the conspiracy as well.

Edit: Annnnd I didn't understand what you were asking. gg
Thanks