• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
You could give 2k straight Cash to every voting age adult with that proposed payroll tax money.

Seriously. I feel like that would be far more effective right now.

It sounds too simple to be effective, but it's not. Give a direct stimulus to people, it'll help those who work and those who don't. It'll help settled a foundation so they don't get fucked over the coming weeks.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I know, but I'm talking about folks who can afford to put away, aren't going to go out and spend as they (the government) would hope.

I mean..there's plenty of options - you could disallow people who make above X income levels (or otherwise come up with qualifiers/disqualifications) then, and/or you ignore the massive 'where's MY handout' whining and just give it to everyone.

Even if some people make a bit extra, it's better than a payroll taxcut which mainly helps the employers, and even then is not guaranteed to get more money to the average employee - not to mention it does nothing for those already unemployed.

I know what it would mean.

I think it would be worth it as it would absolutely juice the economy after this blows over. I can't verify that with data though, so I'm up for being wrong. However, I think this is the time to do it.

I don't disagree (and would take my loans being forgiven in a heart beat, I'd start saving towards a house or a new(er) car), but I think that using this as the opportunity comes at a really high risk if we don't also have a plan to stop the debt from just re-accumulating in the future.

And the 'where's MY handout' people would be absolutely SCREAMING in frothing rage.

If the dems had full control I could maaaaaaaaaaaybe see it, but the repubs? No chance in hell.

I agree in that some kind of 'big' measure will be needed to re-start the economy after things 'start' going back to normal though, and this....might do it.

IMO a lot of millenials are so scared by having to be paycheck to paycheck that they wouldn't 'immediately' go sign up for big-budget purchases.

Dec 31, 2017
God this is extra frustrating because there are just more effective measures you can take with the same amount of money...this administration needs to fucking get thrown the fuck out come November. Bunch of incompetent fools.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be tax cut, bailout, bailout without actually saving people's jobs and homes.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Worst proposal ever? What about unemployment because people lost their fucking jobs? Or health insurance because they don't fucking have any?

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dems pass this.

"It's better than nothing, you have to compromise."

Fucking morons with blood on their hands.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Dumbass me got my hopes up and thought it might actually be a real stimulus bill. This is a joke, people need motherfucking money in their pockets.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
People who really need the money won't be paying any payroll tax in the first place, since they won't have an income.
Never miss an opportunity implement stigginint policy. The perception is that white conservatives work whereas liberals and women and black people don't, so this is a way of stigginit. To clarify, I am NOT saying that's the actual case. I'm saying this is why payroll taxes are easy to sell politically -- it appeals to the idea of helping them honest hardworking Americans while keeping the money out of the hands of the "undeserving". Reality works out differently but we know how much reality means to Republicans.

Also, this is a way to accelerate the financial troubles of Social Security and Medicare.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
They just said in the live press conference they're looking at sending checks directly to Americans within the next 2 weeks (didn't say how much).

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Also I like how the trump tax cuts are doing fuck all for the economy and now we will have to run unprecedented deficits to pay for rich people to not lose their money

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
They actually have a conference going on right now
www.youtube.com

White House Coronavirus Task Force Holds News Conference | NBC News (Live Stream Recording)

The White House coronavirus task force holds a press briefing as COVID-19 spreads, impacting markets and daily life across the U.S. and abroad.» Subscribe to...

And they said they're considering just sending checks to people over a payroll tax cut

That really needs to happen, but like others, I have no faith in this administration to actually do that.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Capitalism means letting companies go bankrupt. Time for shareholders to bleed.

Yes I know the average Joe's pension will be fucked by this, but they are already in a world of hurt. Any bailouts should go to actual people first, time for the government to step in with a basic income and healthcare. Privatize essential businesses and let the market in its infinite wisdom take care of the rest.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018

twitter.com

Zeke Miller on Twitter

“WASHINGTON (AP) — Mnuchin says Trump wants to send checks to Americans 'in next two weeks' in effort to curb economic cost of outbreak.”

They still didn't say TO WHO, though.

Is it checks to every adult, or just someone who is sent home from work? If it's not every adult, a check isn't going to do much.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
Here's a simple step nobody in power will take...stop student loan payment requirements for the time being and halt interest accrual on them as well. Upfront cost is minimal compared to these other ideas and would have instant meaningful impact to millions.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what else they could do now short of going back in time and fixing our broken systems before this happened
No amount of system fixes would prep anyone for this. Emergency measures were always going to be necessary because we're deliberately worsening a recession for public health reasons by trying to put the eeconomy on hold for months.