Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
For the good of the planet Trump must fail this November. I hope the American people arent "bribed" by a measely $1000 check. Trump is the disease that needs to be cured.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the phrasing "every American"? Does it mean permanent residents aren't included in those bills or are they all just forgetting not everyone working and paying taxes in America is American?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Cash for each American adult is absolutely going to happen. The Bush administration pulled it off twice and this situation is far worse. The question is how much, how often (it should be at least once per month for the next three months, if not longer), and when.
The Trump administration is massively more incompetent and decades of the GOP continuing to devolve into pathetic Trump worshiping sycophants means it's not a guarantee. It has to happen but we've got the exact conditions politically where we could still be completely fucked for no reason simply because of who's in charge

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Student Loan Debt has virtually nothing to do with the current situation outside of a potential freeze alongside rent/mortgage payments.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Why is the phrasing "every American"? Does it mean permanent residents aren't included in those bills or are they all just forgetting not everyone working and paying taxes in America is American?
Yeah I doubt non-citizens are going to get anything. Maybe people with green cards but thats it.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm both a barista and a night manager at a burger place.

I'm somewhat insulated since I have two jobs, but the mall I work at is closing early and it's kind of shit all around.

Every adult. Every child. Every PERSON. They should get a check. Otherwise people will die

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the good of the planet Trump must fail this November. I hope the American people arent "bribed" by a measely $1000 check. Trump is the disease that needs to be cured.

How big will Trump's signature be on these checks, I wonder. At least 40% of the check will be his signature, I'm willing to bet.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Frankly, yes. There's no future at all if we don't figure this out.
Obviously people are very wrapped in the person impact of this crisis (I am too,) but the economic impact is monumental to consider. We're not just talking about a few evil mega-corps going on; we're talking about a scenario where the majority of businesses go bust, and unemployment hits the stratosphere. Everything should be on the table.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Trump administration is massively more incompetent and decades of the GOP continuing to devolve into pathetic Trump worshiping sycophants means it's not a guarantee. It has to happen but we've got the exact conditions politically where we could still be completely fucked for no reason simply because of who's in charge
The Trump administration will still ensure it passes, because Trump wants to win reelection in November. You're absolutely right that due to a number of factors, it's probably going to happen a few weeks later than it needs to though. Like, in an ideal scenario, the population would receive direct deposits by next week. But it'll be a fair bit further out than that, unfortunately.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe the check thing when it happens. I feel like that was just an empty promise to steady the stock market.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. Destroy our future Medicare/Social Security payouts to stop bleeding now?

It appears they're going with the direct checks instead - though we don't know if they're going to print the money, or pull it from other sources.

Student Loan Debt has virtually nothing to do with the current situation outside of a potential freeze alongside rent/mortgage payments.

In terms of the immediate future, yes - but student loans are a big (and growing) part of why a lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck in the first place.

Realistically, they likely won't be addressed, but hopefully it gets more attention.

More realistically, big corps should be taken to task to chip in, but with the current admin it'll never happen.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Trump to cut my check, so I can vote him out in November and say he paid me to do it.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah I doubt non-citizens are going to get anything. Maybe people with green cards but thats it.
I'm not going to presume I'm getting a check, lets put it that way. Green card holders like me *probably* will, but with this admin, I'm not taking it as given. Fortunately it's not going to prevent me getting through this.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
The payroll tax cut is so pointless since the people who need the assistance the most aren't paying payroll tax--they're out of a job. They could use that $500 billion lost on tax cuts and just give $1500 to every American instead.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
The single most effective thing to ease my creeping dread would be to hear that every US resident is going to get a couple thousand bucks per month for the foreseeable future. A few trillion at essentially zero interest rate isn't going to wreck our gov't any more than any of the alternatives. And it would hopefully forestall the worst-case scenarios, like the really bad ones that had previously only been prepper fantasies.
Right now I have some hope this will happen, but how the conversation goes in the next week or so will really be the test.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
JFC... This is so fucking braindead.

Millions of people are losing their jobs right now and need direct support, not some bullshit top town policy.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
M-Qz_M.gif

I need money! Not a tax cut

Deleted member 2152

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Student loan debt, yes, but current semester deferred tuition payments should be considered in legislation like this. Especially considering most students can't even take advantage of the resources they are paying for right now.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Capitalism means letting companies go bankrupt. Time for shareholders to bleed.

Yes I know the average Joe's pension will be fucked by this, but they are already in a world of hurt. Any bailouts should go to actual people first, time for the government to step in with a basic income and healthcare. Privatize essential businesses and let the market in its infinite wisdom take care of the rest.
Privatize essential businesses? Fuck no.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump cuts me a check, it'll be amazing. I am highly skeptical this admin will handle it correctly. Prove me wrong.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Frankly, yes. There's no future at all if we don't figure this out.
Frankly, fuck that. This payroll tax cut is neither wanted nor necessary. Checks for everyone would be immensely more helpful to both average citizens and the economy in general. But you don't get to shrewdly undermine Social Security and Medicare with checks, so they're pushing payroll tax cut instead.