Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They actually have a conference going on right now
www.youtube.com

White House Coronavirus Task Force Holds News Conference | NBC News (Live Stream Recording)

The White House coronavirus task force holds a press briefing as COVID-19 spreads, impacting markets and daily life across the U.S. and abroad.» Subscribe to...

And they said they're considering just sending checks to people over a payroll tax cut

I will believe that when I see it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Gotta bail out those airlines so they can continue charging exorbinant fees and providing terrible customer experiences!

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they ever help normal people it will be at the tail end because they don't want to spend money on normal people, I feel this is what the UK government is going to do as well and why they are doing sweet fa.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Who gets the checks?

The point of every adult getting one is it helps support the entire household. If it's one person getting $1000, that won't do shit.
Even $1000 between my girlfriend and I would be MASSIVELY HELPFUL. But the job she works she gets paid under the table, so I have to imagine people in those situations won't get anything.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be *every* adult American. No exceptions. Whether you lost your job, or you have a job, if you're going to bolster the economy and make sure that people aren't fucked if they miss 1 check, they gotta send that to everyone.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Ilhan Omar on Twitter

“I am introducing a bill this week to give: $1,000 to every American adult. $500 for every child. No exceptions. We need to support the American people NOW—and this is just a start.”

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Even $1000 between my girlfriend and I would be MASSIVELY HELPFUL. But the job she works she gets paid under the table, so I have to imagine people in those situations won't get anything.
It should be $1000 for each of you though. The point should be to help support the household. $1000 isn't going to help a family of 4 not lose their home.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Hard to say. It'll be different, but in time it'll feel normal again. Remember how things were after 9-11? Things never went back to the way they were before it, but eventually, it all felt normal.
Indeed especially regarding things never going back to the way they were before it. At least in NY since then. I and many others I know still feel unease whenever we see airplanes flying around here in proximity to buildings, doesn't help that I live near the airport. I avoid visiting buildings approaching skyscraper heights, etc.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Yeah I'm gonna hope the check stuff happens. My wife and I both work in restaurants. I deliver pizza and she's a server/bartender. My job is still intact atm but SUPER slow. Her job closed the dining room and bar. She works at a hotel so she's relying only on room services. And on top of that the hotel for some dumbass reason removed all gratuity from room services. She's at least making minimum wage but she's making a fraction of what she was. We had to close out a CD account that had some money we were saving for our daughters future. That's how broke we are.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Hard to say. It'll be different, but in time it'll feel normal again. Remember how things were after 9-11? Things never went back to the way they were before it, but eventually, it all felt normal.
There's definitely a whole chunk of the forum that doesn't and that makes me feel old as hell. I think this is probably gonna lead to bigger changes than 9/11.

Oct 27, 2017
But does that count as every adult? Do you have to be employed? There are a lot of questions that the media doesn't seem to be asking, when they're sitting right there.
Because there's no bill yet. Nothing has been decided. There's probably little point asking for specifics of a proposal that hasn't been through any house yet and will 100% change by the time it gets through

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Housemate and I subsist entirely on her monthly disability benefit. I'm 100% certain we won't be receiving any check.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Capitalism means letting companies go bankrupt. Time for shareholders to bleed.

Yes I know the average Joe's pension will be fucked by this, but they are already in a world of hurt. Any bailouts should go to actual people first, time for the government to step in with a basic income and healthcare. Privatize essential businesses and let the market in its infinite wisdom take care of the rest.

Maybe if a company is mismanaged. This is a unique situation though.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Ilhan Omar on Twitter

“I am introducing a bill this week to give: $1,000 to every American adult. $500 for every child. No exceptions. We need to support the American people NOW—and this is just a start.”

Good if they pull this off.

I am not concerned about my wife and I since we both have jobs we can work from home, but everyone else that does not have that luxury needs this.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Yo! I'm an educator who might not teach summer classes because of this shit. If this $1000 check happens, that will help me make ends meet for one summer month.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cash for each American adult is absolutely going to happen. The Bush administration pulled it off twice and this situation is far worse. The question is how much, how often (it should be at least once per month for the next three months, if not longer), and when.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More stuff happening -this is going to be really bad. It's getting through this and pulling out of it that's going to be necessary.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
Omar's plan sounds great, especially when everyone realizes that they'll have to be doing this for months... hopefully they won't be able to take it away either.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Good if they pull this off.

I am not concerned about my wife and I since we both have jobs we can work from home, but everyone else that does not have that luxury needs this.

Just give it to everyone, don't try and get cute about who does or doesn't deserve the money based upon if they're job can telecommute or not. Even those of us who can telecommute are going to change our spending habits for fear of our jobs/companies losing business/closing.