• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
when's the last time anyone's seen mcconnell

we've seen schumer/pelosi and mccarthy but the turtle has really gone into hiding. and we know that's not a coincidence

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this seems like the stupidest idea when on top of that this shutdown is because OOTUS didn't sign the bill already voted by Congress.
Like this wouldn't have prevented this issue at all.

Couldn't enough of them go over his head anyway if they had to? That's the point of something being veto proof is it not?

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
If Democrats were smart, they'd broadcast far and wide that they've cooked up policies to fund the government AND give back pay (yes it's 'known' workers get back pay but repeating and emphasising it is how you get the public on your side) and Trump is saying no

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
really? been watching cnn today and you wouldn't have known it. definitely not nearly enough attention being paid to him denying the bill from moving forward, despite several GOP Senators wanting him to move forward
It was either before or after the meeting with the GOP Senators when they were in the hallway and Trump was making remarks. It could have been yesterday.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I've seen it with the IRA and Irgun, not to mention it being the entirety of one side's part of the conversation with regards to Israel proper, and it hasn't led to bannings so I'm not so sure of this.
IRA barely targeted people which is why it succeeded in the 1st place.
Israel is...something else entirely where logic doesn't apply for some shittastic great reason.
I've seen people try to excuse terrorist groups and get banned so outside of edge cases I'd say it's tight.

People can have a discussion. I can call their post foolish. The mods can chose to ban any of us for any reason. Again, I'm not telling him he can't say what he thinks. I'm not even saying I don't think he should be allowed to say what he thinks.

Either way, it's not like he was calling for a reasoned debate on the matter or that he made any specific points. It was just an assertion.
In this particular case, pruning the forum of people arguing in bad faith is doing this place a favor.
If your takeway from this situation is "both sides" you're either grossly misinformed or 'asking questions' neither is making the conversation more interesting.
Again I'm not saying banning all "both sides" is a good idea.
Discussing Israel support in the USA is a great way to look at a valid "both side" argument and there's quite a lot of conversation this applies to.
BUT when discussing stuff like this current shutdown, it's pretty transparent.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
federal workers should just quit and get another job. this will happen frequently from now on

It would be interesting to see how the American voters react if, going forward, they know the Republicans will initiate shutdowns by the Democrats won't. What do you when you're racist, but not rich, and want to hurt colored people, but you yourself still live from paycheck to paycheck? Who do you vote for when you know the people who agree with may also kill you financially, while the people you loathe will ensure economic security? How does your "economic anxiety" cope with that paradox?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Couldn't enough of them go over his head anyway if they had to? That's the point of something being veto proof is it not?
Yeah but in this case you're basically asking dems to cave unilaterally and give everything GOP wants because well.... GoP elected officials are not known for being poor.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
really? been watching cnn today and you wouldn't have known it. definitely not nearly enough attention being paid to him denying the bill from moving forward, despite several GOP Senators wanting him to move forward

It was either before or after the meeting with the GOP Senators when they were in the hallway and Trump was making remarks. It could have been yesterday.

Yeah, turtle was there. He didn't say anything from the clips that I saw. Mostly Trump talking.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It would be interesting to see how the American voters react if, going forward, they know the Republicans will initiate shutdowns by the Democrats won't. What do you when you're racist, but not rich, and want to hurt colored people, but you yourself still live from paycheck to paycheck? Who do you vote for when you know the people who agree with may also kill you financially, while the people you loathe will ensure economic security? How does your "economic anxiety" cope with that paradox?
You think they'll stop to think about it?
They're known for voting people in that would destroy their healthcare that they need to literally live.
You think killing their financial stability will stop them?

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but in this case you're basically asking dems to cave unilaterally and give everything GOP wants because well.... GoP elected officials are not known for being poor.

Eh I'm not asking for that. Ideally the version of the bill that was already agreed upon would've been approved and everyone would've moved on.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Is the fate of the GOP really that tied to Trump? Can't they find another one of the crazies who is preferably less volatile?

Trump is the manifestation of what the base is. Trump is probably the first president to 100% represent them. The bushes and romneys pass out the kool-aid but Trump guzzles the shit down. Rejecting trump is the same as rejecting their wishes and will right now.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Eh I'm not asking for that. Ideally the version of the bill that was already agreed upon would've been approved and everyone would've moved on.
That's literally what happened last year, then someone from Fox News sneezed and Trump thought shutting the government was a good idea.
Both Chambers voted for the fundings before the shutdown, it's just Orange McRacist that had a problem because FoxNews said mean things about him.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

we've seen schumer/pelosi and mccarthy but the turtle has really gone into hiding. and we know that's not a coincidence
Some reporters were speculating yesterday that since he's running in 2020, he's afraid of being primaried by Matt Bevin etc. So he can't do anything to broker a reopening of the government (since he would have helped Trump lose) and Trump is so popular in kentucky. That's why he's been scant.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
That's literally what happened last year, then someone from Fox News sneezed and Trump thought shutting the government was a good idea.
Both Chambers voted for the fundings before the shutdown, it's just Orange McRacist that had a problem because FoxNews said mean things about him.

Man I miss having a president that was sensible.

Oct 30, 2017
If Democrats were smart, they'd broadcast far and wide that they've cooked up policies to fund the government AND give back pay (yes it's 'known' workers get back pay but repeating and emphasising it is how you get the public on your side) and Trump is saying no
Depending on how long this goes, these people may need some sort of hardship back pay stipend. I'm not sure how well that settles with the average person. But it would help drive home to the people that Democrats want the government open.

Oct 27, 2017

I had an idea for an app like Waze where you could post where you saw these scumbags. You know, so constituents could get their attention. Or just to yell at them while they tried to eat dinner.

Mirk

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should set up a GoFundMe for those workers to to take the pressure off Dems to cave. Fuck this orange child. Stay strong Nancy.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Some reporters were speculating yesterday that since he's running in 2020, he's afraid of being primaried by Matt Bevin etc. So he can't do anything to broker a reopening of the government (since he would have helped Trump lose) and Trump is so popular in kentucky. That's why he's been scant.
makes sense. Realistically, he owns this shutdown just as much as Trump at this point, perhaps even more. If he were the adult in the room, he'd have ended this a long time ago. Dems need to put just as much pressure/spotlight on him and don't just let him recede into the background while Trump gobbles up all the attention. It's not just him at this point.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
federal workers should just quit and get another job. this will happen frequently from now on

What is certain to happen is that people will stop to apply for federal jobs. They're now being conditioned that they're pawns to be used by whoever wants to force through whatever. Being a young adult in the US now means you'll seriously consider ever applying for a federal job.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

He spoke for about 10 seconds just after Trump did when they emerged from the GOP meeting. All he said was that he agreed the GOP was united behind him.

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, McConnell has to break too. There's no mechanism for forcing legislation onto the Senate floor. McConnell has to bring it.

So there could be a veto-proof majority in the Senate tomorrow and it would do no good as long as Mitch McConnell decides he's sticking to Trump.
here's what I don't understand. can't the senate get rid of McConnell? if other r senators are ready to vote why can't they just put someone else in charge who will bring the vote? does McConnell actually have senate hostage?