• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
>.> <.<. >.>
Hey guys, I read through OPs post and saw the "low budget tv" section but...uh...
Are there any good non 4K tvs for 200bugs? It will be a gift for my bf who 100% wouldn't mind a small non 4K if it was his to game on.(ps4 and Switch potentially)
Sorry if its a stupid question.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-40S325-I...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DFDES2E4NAC8CQX5N68D

I have this TV and highly recommend it. I use it as a work monitor sometimes or to have something playing in the background while I work. I've played SNES classic on it but not PS4 or Switch

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
There's just something about the Vizio P that's not grabbing me or my wife. Really wish I knew why but I was so much more taken with the picture on my TCL P last year. What's the concesus best 65" for $1500 or less? Also are there any good 70" models or is that just too obscure a size?

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
There's just something about the Vizio P that's not grabbing me or my wife. Really wish I knew why but I was so much more taken with the picture on my TCL P last year. What's the concesus best 65" for $1500 or less? Also are there any good 70" models or is that just too obscure a size?
If you can still find a Sony 65" X930E I'd give that a shot, if not then Sony X900F is also very good.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Got a source on that? I know a lot of people, (including myself) who have decade-old Samsung LCDs and Plasmas that work as good as the day we got them. In fact, I'm kinda annoyed the damn thing won't die, as I want an excuse to upgrade!

I think it's pretty widely known in TV tech circles that Samsung are quite piss poor in the quality dept.

Having owned top end Samsung's myself, and having them break within the first year is very common, or they are plagued with hideous PQ issues, and it's the higher end stuff that suffers...
Look at 'dropgate' for confirmation at how they put these things together.

I've frequented TV forums for a good 15+ years, and I can say that Samsung are by far the worst when it comes to upset customers, and yes they do sell a lot of TV's, (majority being cheap low end) but so do LG and other brands, and you have to remember that only in the early/mid 2000's Samsung were in the Z list for shit TV's, right alongside Goldstar (LG)/Alba etc.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
you have to remember that only in the early/mid 2000's Samsung were in the Z list for shit TV's, right alongside Goldstar (LG)/Alba etc.

Yeah the TV game is really interesting. Vizio used to be considered low/garbage tier, and now they're actually putting out displays that compete with the best on the market.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow tons of movies for sale on itunes right now.

Just got Mad Max 4k/HDR for $8, think I'm gonna end up buying like 5-10 more movies lol.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I think this YouTuber's suggested settings for the Vizio P increased my enjoyment of the set quite a bit. I think perhaps "normal" color temp was just too warm for me. He says "computer" is like other TV's warm 1 which I like. https://youtu.be/0lb-K05gsUg

Oct 25, 2017
Exchange C8 came in. White uniformity is now great.

Two questions:

1) How do I restart this tv? Trying to update to the latest firmware

2) Cant find the Dynamic Tone Mapping feature when viewing Dolby Vision c0ntent through the TV Netlix app. Where is it?

Thanks

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
CES is only weeks away but this just was announced. Im thinking some LG (8K?) OLEDs might, might have HDMI 2.1

..."only a "small number" of TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 video bandwidths will be available in 2019, according to Tobias."

but some good news...

Gaming Features on the Way
Like eARC, gaming-related features "will be adopted more quickly" than other HDMI 2.1 features, Tobias said. Starting at January's CES, he said, products will be announced with HDMI 2.1-certified gaming-related features such as variable refresh rate (VRR), quick frame transport (QFT), and auto low latency mode (ALLM) to reduce or eliminate lag time and otherwise enhance game play on TVs.
Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hdmi-21-features-start-trickling-av-gear#hXmW3H7dzpsh7hU1.99

Rumour has been since LG been teasing their new updated SOC and partnership with Synopsys a company with true HDMI 2.1 solution that LG range will be one of the only ones that truly support "full fat" HDMI 2.1 as main selling point of their 2019 lineup.

I'd be surprised if Samsung was seen with their pants down if LG managed to support HDMI 2.1 in their lineup. I know Samsung has promised a true HDMI 2.1 connection box for owners of the new 8K Q900R which they released this year.

Not long now till CES can't wait.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Figured as much for point 2.

As for the first point, I downloaded the firmware but need to restart the tv. How do I do that

Yep, just a simple turn off and on will do.

And that is fantastic news you got a good panel! I told you the 8 series had improved a lot in that regard over the 7s so you had a really good chance of getting a good one.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
8k right now cracks me up. By time a display is large enough for the human eye to resolve a difference between 4K and 8K, it will be WAY too large for a comfortable field of view. 4K is pretty pointless on all these 65" TVs that people are sitting 10+ feet away from.

I'm not saying having 8k as a standard is a bad thing. Having 4K for each eye in VR or passive 3D will be a must-have. However, since TVs have been sadly horribly downgraded by removing 3D the past few years and VR is still in it's infancy, the need is a long ways away and for a non-3D, non-VR usage it will NEVER be a improvement over 4K.
I still see aliasing on my 55" B7 at 4k sitting 9 ft away. I've done some downsampling from 8k, and it completely resolves aliasing even with AA off and getting right up on the screen.

8k is the dream right now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
looking to buy a new TV in the next couple months - looking for 65" 4K HDR compatible with VRR

are the Samsung TVs my only option right now?

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Exchange C8 came in. White uniformity is now great.

Two questions:

1) How do I restart this tv? Trying to update to the latest firmware

2) Cant find the Dynamic Tone Mapping feature when viewing Dolby Vision c0ntent through the TV Netlix app. Where is it?

Thanks

Oh man, now you have me thinking about calling LG for a panel swap on my B7.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I think I had my settings on my Shield TV wrong all this time for my Panasonic 65VT60 Plasma. I had nonstandard color range set on the TV and full range set on the Nvidia Shield, but I don't think the shield was sending the latter or something. I instead went in and just had it send YUV 4.2.2 which worked and the picture is fucking glorious. I now have a setup to turn off my room's lights with voice control, bias lighting behind the TV that is powered by the TV and only turns on with the TV, and a 17 x 17 room only dedicated to my TV, home theater speakers, and computer desk (coming from a small apartment). Fucking glorious picture, now I really understand what people meant by the deep blacks this set was capable of. Now I'm finally getting something closer to my beloved Kuro.

giphy.gif

VT60 has
As a plasma the best motion resolution you are going to get on a flat panel that is only bested by a CRT. LCD and OLED can't compete.
No crushed blacks at all and they go DEEP and show all the detail
No stuttering
Incredible color
More than adequate light for watching in the dark

Doesn't have:
HDR and light that gets eye searing
Absurdly low ms, but I've been more than fine with the levels it gives me on gaming mode

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I still see aliasing on my 55" B7 at 4k sitting 9 ft away. I've done some downsampling from 8k, and it completely resolves aliasing even with AA off and getting right up on the screen.

8k is the dream right now.

That's supersampling. All you just proved is that your 4K TV is perfectly fine if fed a properly rendered image. Which is what supersampling does. My 1080P TV displays a shimmery, jagged image when playing Forza Horizon 4 in 1080P mode. In 4K mode (supersampled down to 1080P) the lines are smooth and shimmer is gone. The limitation is not my TV, it's the way the game is rendered.

Sitting 9ft away from a 55" TV is pretty much a waste of 4K. The difference you are seeing over your old 1080P set has zero to do with 4K and everything to do with the awesome color gamut and black levels of OLED. At 9ft, you need close to a 70" TV to distinguish between 4K and 1080P. Fortunately, improved resolution is not the only thing these sets bring to the table.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Rumour has been since LG been teasing their new updated SOC and partnership with Synopsys a company with true HDMI 2.1 solution that LG range will be one of the only ones that truly support "full fat" HDMI 2.1 as main selling point of their 2019 lineup.

I'd be surprised if Samsung was seen with their pants down if LG managed to support HDMI 2.1 in their lineup. I know Samsung has promised a true HDMI 2.1 connection box for owners of the new 8K Q900R which they released this year.

Not long now till CES can't wait.

Yeah, considering that Samsung, Microsoft and HDMI have been working very closely together to iron everything HDMI 2.1 out, (heck, Samsung has most of the HDMI 2.1 features on it's current sets) I'd be VERY surprised if anyone had a more advanced version of HDMI 2.1 than Samsung in 2019.

In any case, the only thing full-fat HDMI 2.1 possibly gives current TVs is the 4K/120Hz mode. That is a very minor thing to most people.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a single dead/blue pixel in my B7 that comes and goes right in the middle. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Square trade requires like 8 to do anything. I doubt LG would do anything. I'm mad

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
That's supersampling. All you just proved is that your 4K TV is perfectly fine if fed a properly rendered image. Which is what supersampling does. My 1080P TV displays a shimmery, jagged image when playing Forza Horizon 4 in 1080P mode. In 4K mode (supersampled down to 1080P) the lines are smooth and shimmer is gone. The limitation is not my TV, it's the way the game is rendered.

Sitting 9ft away from a 55" TV is pretty much a waste of 4K. The difference you are seeing over your old 1080P set has zero to do with 4K and everything to do with the awesome color gamut and black levels of OLED. At 9ft, you need close to a 70" TV to distinguish between 4K and 1080P. Fortunately, improved resolution is not the only thing these sets bring to the table.
Sorry, but you're wrong.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, considering that Samsung, Microsoft and HDMI have been working very closely together to iron everything HDMI 2.1 out, (heck, Samsung has most of the HDMI 2.1 features on it's current sets) I'd be VERY surprised if anyone had a more advanced version of HDMI 2.1 than Samsung in 2019.

In any case, the only thing full-fat HDMI 2.1 possibly gives current TVs is the 4K/120Hz mode. That is a very minor thing to most people.

Synopsys have a fully compliant end to end HDMI 2.1 silicon solution meeting all of HDMI 2.1 spec. VRR, 120Hz input, and so on. Which LG partnered up seeing as they released their press release few months back confirming it along with their strange A9+ "tease" few weeks back.

In other news first picture of LG 2019 OLED design leaked.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lge/45475332035/

& LG plan to release the roll up OLED display we saw at this years CES to market.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2019-tvs-preview-get-ready-for-8k-ai-rollable-oled-with-alexa/

Exciting times. No idea what Samsung have planned yet seeing as they've been tight lipped, but I'm sure they will also bring the heat to CES.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Synopsys have a fully compliant end to end HDMI 2.1 silicon solution meeting all of HDMI 2.1 spec. VRR, 120Hz input, and so on. Which LG partnered up seeing as they released their press release few months back confirming it along with their strange A9+ "tease" few weeks back.

& LG plan to release the roll up OLED display we saw at this years CES to market.

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2019-tvs-preview-get-ready-for-8k-ai-rollable-oled-with-alexa/

Exciting times. No idea what Samsung have planned yet seeing as they've been tight lipped, but I'm sure they will also bring the heat to CES.

I want that 88" OLED so much lol.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If the B9 has HDMI2.1, I'm going in and upgrading my B7.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh man, I really like that design! I'm most excited to see what Samsung brings to the table. OLED wows me, but a number of factors are steering me towards QLED. I won't have the budget for a new TV until like Spring 2020 though, so I've got plenty of time to see how both display types develop.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B series normally comes with older SOC when matched up to their C series line which gets the newest SOC for that year.

What is price difference between C8 and B8 in the U.S? Here in Australia on sale both are neck and neck price wise so I don't know why anyone would get a B series.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426666

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426358

$10.20 difference.
I don't recall the B7 and C7 having different SoCs -- at the time, if I recall, the only differences were the speakers and ability to internally decode Dolby Atmos sound (C7 has a gimmick "2.2" setup as to where the B7 is just 2.0). It didn't matter as I use an external amp/stereo setup.

Did this change on the 2018s?

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Roll up displays are the future. Far less shipping costs, chance of damage etc. Fantastic to see it's already here. Supposedly self-emissive Micro-LED screens are even thinner and more flexible than OLED. And since they are inorganic, they can be driven harder and have no burn in. Hopefully that tech is not too far from becoming commercially viable.

I want that 88" OLED so much lol.

Yeah, my couch is about 11 feet from my wall which can fit a 90" screen maximum, which would be the ideal size. 88" would be just fine.

Oh man, I really like that design! I'm most excited to see what Samsung brings to the table. OLED wows me, but a number of factors are steering me towards QLED. I won't have the budget for a new TV until like Spring 2020 though, so I've got plenty of time to see how both display types develop.

I also am looking forward to the 2019 sets. I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed with the overall progress in TV tech. I currently have a backlit 12 year old Samsung LCD. Back then I had the choice between a LCD with good brightness but poor viewing angles and contrast and a plasma with great viewing angles, great contrast, but poor brightness and burn in. The only thing that's changed is that plasma has been replaced with OLED.... which has the same exact weaknesses and strengths.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I don't recall the B7 and C7 having different SoCs -- at the time, if I recall, the only differences were the speakers and ability to internally decode Dolby Atmos sound (C7 has a gimmick "2.2" setup as to where the B7 is just 2.0). It didn't matter as I use an external amp/stereo setup.

Did this change on the 2018s?

2016 B6 had a different processor to the rest, 2017 had the same regardless of model, and for 2018 they went back to giving the B a weaker chip, but on paper there isn't much in it really.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh man, I think I had my settings on my Shield TV wrong all this time for my Panasonic 65VT60 Plasma. I had nonstandard color range set on the TV and full range set on the Nvidia Shield, but I don't think the shield was sending the latter or something. I instead went in and just had it send YUV 4.2.2 which worked and the picture is fucking glorious. I now have a setup to turn off my room's lights with voice control, bias lighting behind the TV that is powered by the TV and only turns on with the TV, and a 17 x 17 room only dedicated to my TV, home theater speakers, and computer desk (coming from a small apartment). Fucking glorious picture, now I really understand what people meant by the deep blacks this set was capable of. Now I'm finally getting something closer to my beloved Kuro.

giphy.gif

VT60 has
As a plasma the best motion resolution you are going to get on a flat panel that is only bested by a CRT. LCD and OLED can't compete.
No stuttering
Incredible color

Doesn't have:
Absurdly low ms, but I've been more than fine with the levels it gives me on gaming mode

I felt the same way about my ZT60. God I miss that display lol. The 500M had great motion also. At least I still have access to that one.

The closest you can get is a A9F. After having spent a fair amount of time with mine and comparing it back and forth between the C8 it really is about as good as you can get with the current displays. Not Plasma level but pretty damn good. After I did a calibration of it I moved it back to living room and placed it under C8 and ran dual output to it from AVR having material play on both C8 and A9. The motion is so much better. It's noticeable when they're not right next to one another but when they are right next to on another damn it stomps on the LG all day. Even the amount of shadow detail it retails and displays. It also handles lower quality content better. It's the first time I think I saw it as a worthy replacement to either the ZT or 500M.

I really like the white point it's using as well. So much that I have been considering redoing my LG's to use their white point.

I would say when you are getting ready to make the plunge check out the A9F.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
2016 B6 had a different processor to the rest, 2017 had the same regardless of model, and for 2018 they went back to giving the B a weaker chip, but on paper there isn't much in it really.

I think the difference was Noise reduction improvement, different algorithm for mapping, HFR and HDR where the 7 can only do one or the other but not both at same time, and a 1D LUT with more points, and 3D LUT. The last 2 being something most people cannot take advantage of on their own.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I think the difference was Noise reduction improvement, different algorithm for mapping, HFR and HDR where the 7 can only do one or the other but not both at same time, and a 1D LUT with more points, and 3D LUT. The last 2 being something most people cannot take advantage of on their own.

Yeah, tbh I didn't think it was worth mentioning, 3D LUT possibly, but all the other stuff is pretty meh.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Roll up displays are the future. Far less shipping costs, chance of damage etc. Fantastic to see it's already here. Supposedly self-emissive Micro-LED screens are even thinner and more flexible than OLED. And since they are inorganic, they can be driven harder and have no burn in. Hopefully that tech is not too far from becoming commercially viable.

Yeah, my couch is about 11 feet from my wall which can fit a 90" screen maximum, which would be the ideal size. 88" would be just fine.

Big issue with mLED is shrinking the size down for consumer sets. That's the reason Samsung is going forward with their own OLED sets in 2020 due to them even admitting that consumer size mLED display are likely up to 9 years or so away.

The next big development in consumer sets from LG will be top-emission OLED which will address a lot of the issues people have with current bottom-emission sets; better resistance to burn-in, higher brightness numbers, and clear path towards 240Hz++ backplanes. So with that we are looking at 2020 for wide rollout by LG. We don't know what all the raw numbers are when it comes to what LG plans for their 2020 sets but hell we are only a rocks throw away.

With Samsung I expect to see their high end LCD lineup this year or next rollout mLED backlighting allowing a much higher zone count. Along with of course their own re-entry into the OLED TV market.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for confirming -- I remember doing my research before getting the B7 over the C7 and was certain the SoCs were the same.

If in 2019 they are different, I'll go with the C9 as long as the price differential is sane.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for confirming -- I remember doing my research before getting the B7 over the C7 and was certain the SoCs were the same.

If in 2019 they are different, I'll go with the C9 as long as the price differential is sane.

The price difference between C & B series is not huge and looking around even in the U.S they end up going on sale for about the same price so I don't expect that to change next year.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt the same way about my ZT60. God I miss that display lol. The 500M had great motion also. At least I still have access to that one.

The closest you can get is a A9F. After having spent a fair amount of time with mine and comparing it back and forth between the C8 it really is about as good as you can get with the current displays. Not Plasma level but pretty damn good. After I did a calibration of it I moved it back to living room and placed it under C8 and ran dual output to it from AVR having material play on both C8 and A9. The motion is so much better. It's noticeable when they're not right next to one another but when they are right next to on another damn it stomps on the LG all day. Even the amount of shadow detail it retails and displays. It also handles lower quality content better. It's the first time I think I saw it as a worthy replacement to either the ZT or 500M.

I really like the white point it's using as well. So much that I have been considering redoing my LG's to use their white point.

I would say when you are getting ready to make the plunge check out the A9F.
+1, I recently bought the A9F and came to the same conclusion. I run it in custom mode with BFI turned on and It looks very "plasma-esque". The picture reminds me of the old Elite Kuros, especially watching 24p movies. Even the build quality reminds me of the days of solid metal and glass plasma. I've had a B6 but never felt like it was a straight upgrade from my Panasonic plasma. It always looked kind of LCD-ish.

I'd say the motion with BFI is about 70-80% as clear as plasma. Not quite there but I feel it's close enough.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The price difference between C & B series is not huge and looking around even in the U.S they end up going on sale for about the same price so I don't expect that to change next year.
Cool. In 2017, I liked the stand on the B7 better than the stand on the C7, hence my decision at the time. I'll evaluate accordingly in 2019.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to go ahead and add Aquaman to the 4K UHD Reference Material list. Damn, that movie was gorgeous.

LG and Synopsys announced their partnership in September, I hope no one thinks they're going to have a product to show in January. I'm looking forward to another year of disappointment posts and gifs in this thread though.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to go ahead and add Aquaman to the 4K UHD Reference Material list. Damn, that movie was gorgeous.

LG and Synopsys announced their partnership in September, I hope no one thinks they're going to have a product to show in January. I'm looking forward to another year of disappointment posts and gifs in this thread though.
Announcing the partnership in September doesn't mean that's when it started. Either way I'm ready, come what may. Another year with the B7 won't kill me.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

VT60 has
No stuttering
Incredible color

Doesn't have:

I have a 50" Panasonic ST30 that I adored for years. Now that I have a C8 I'll be attempting to sell it. I have no idea what to ask for it. Perhaps another enthusiast will want it, because it is in immaculate shape.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017

Announced in September but the Synopsys chip first announcement of the HDMI 2.1 silicon tested solution was Nov 2017 leading many to believe they had partnered up with LG.

As always nothing is guaranteed...only a few weeks before we find out.