• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I first hooked up my 1080p Panasonic plasma 10 years ago this month, right before the Super Bowl. It was wowed then and I think it still looks great. Seriously, I'll sit back when gaming or watching network tv sometimes and just think about how great the IQ looks to my eye, still. Doing that again with NFL playoff games lately.

The only thing I don't much like: it's only 46 inches. We want to remodel our living room a bit this year and will have more space for the TV. I want 65 or even 70 inches. But I'm afraid I'll never have a set that looks this good! I won't get rid of it. I'm a retro gamer and I can see keeping this TV the same way I keep a CRT. PS3, 360, Switch, Wii all look great on it.

Try to buy a used 65" plasma.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
you're making a lot of sense. my wife & i make very good money, but i guess i feel like i never prioritized a TV before. less now that have a kid, too.

it is weird though - we use the TV every day. i am considering the C9 this year and get the best buy 5 year warranty.

My kids, 529s, retirement planning, paying down the mortgage early, etc will always come first, but I'd rather have a nice TV than a luxury car, for example. I'd rather have a nice bed too. All about priorities, I agree.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Try to buy a used 65" plasma.

Haha, no I'm not even thinking about that. I'll definitly get newer tech, just hoping I'll be satisfied. But I'm not insanely picky. I've planned on OLED but might end up with a higher end TCL or Vizio just to be more practical - especially if we decide 70 is the right size.

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, no I'm not even thinking about that. I'll definitly get newer tech, just hoping I'll be satisfied. But I'm not insanely picky. I've planned on OLED but might end up with a higher end TCL or Vizio just to be more practical - especially if we decide 70 is the right size.

I don't think you'll be happy going from a Panny Plasma to a budget LED. OLED or a high-end LED panel only.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Vincent was saying 2 months ago we wouldn't have HDMI 2.1 TVs this year, I don't really think he has any inside info. Not a diss, I love Vincent's work, but that's my guess.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if anyone can help me decide. I'm trying to find a 32inch tv for no more than £320. I've seen a handful on Amazon (which is where I'm buying from). Can anyone give any decent suggestions as to what to go with?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
We spend money on VERY few things, saving a ton every year. I'd rather splurge on things like TVs, vacations, etc - things we either spend a lot of time with or things that will make lasting memories
Yep.

Everyone is in different situations. For plenty of people (myself included) 500/yr for something I use hundreds of hours during the year is a pretty good deal.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
For $599 I am completely pleased with the 55" TCL 6 series. I read everything I could about it's + and - and decided to give it a go. It's well within the budget and I am not noticing any of the "issues" others mentioned.

I went with recommended settings from online sources and adjusted others through the App. Games look great and not lagging. I also didn't notice any blur when watching fast paced NBA games.
Happy so far for the price.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Vincent responded:

Yep.

Everyone is in different situations. For plenty of people (myself included) 500/yr for something I use hundreds of hours during the year is a pretty good deal.

I know so many people that say "I'm not spending $1000 on a TV" and then they watch 5 hours a day.

If it's a money issue it's completely understandable, but if you have the money and will spend that much time with it, it's more of an investment than a luxury.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Been looking for a new TV for some time. Last week I tried a Samsung NU7400 but it was an IPS panel and had terrible backlight bleed all along the top so it went back and I got a refund.

The only other option I'm looking at is the Sony XF900. Does anyone have that and is it a good buy?

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

4201720.gif

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking for a new TV for some time. Last week I tried a Samsung NU7400 but it was an IPS panel and had terrible backlight bleed all along the top so it went back and I got a refund.

The only other option I'm looking at is the Sony XF900. Does anyone have that and is it a good buy?

I have two buddies with X900Fs and they both love their sets. Sony processing is second to none, and in my time spent with their TVs I have been impressed.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I first hooked up my 1080p Panasonic plasma 10 years ago this month, right before the Super Bowl. It was wowed then and I think it still looks great. Seriously, I'll sit back when gaming or watching network tv sometimes and just think about how great the IQ looks to my eye, still. Doing that again with NFL playoff games lately.

The only thing I don't much like: it's only 46 inches. We want to remodel our living room a bit this year and will have more space for the TV. I want 65 or even 70 inches. But I'm afraid I'll never have a set that looks this good! I won't get rid of it. I'm a retro gamer and I can see keeping this TV the same way I keep a CRT. PS3, 360, Switch, Wii all look great on it.

Don't get rid of the plasma if you have another room to keep it in. I kept mine for 1080p games that I don't play on my desktop PC, and I'm glad that I did. As far as feeling like you not having a set that looks as good as your plasma though? Nah. Once you go OLED, the plasma stops looking as good as it once did by comparison. With 1080p and above video content anyway. 720p is going to look like garbage compared to how it would look on the plasma, and most video games need to be at a resolution of at least 1440p to look better on an OLED than they do at 1080p on a plasma. Once you get used to the size as well, it's a lot harder to go back to smaller screens (without sitting closer).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Could it be that he's guessing? somebody should send him a tweet.

LG confirmed they were prepping for mass production 2 years ago.
The top emmission sets are starting production this year for 8K displays, where it is required more in order to keep peak brightness at a higher level (more pixels = less light)

When they do, this will also decrease the cost of the larger displays, where they currently take a big hit.
A 65inch panel costs twice as much as the 55inch equivelant using the current production procresses
Moving to the new production processes narrows the gap meaning there is only a 1.5x increase in cost.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will be $1200 deals on a 55 C8 soon enough. If I was coming from a plasma that's probably what I'd go with. It will take probably 2 years for a C9 to hit that price. Imo 65 in general is too much of a pita to move around. Had a 65 before and I'm honestly completely happy with my 55 B7.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Going in on new tech in year 1 would have been a bad idea anyways. If you're really in the market for a new OLED just get a current model (once confirmation is there that the HDMI 2.1 implementation is truly feature complete) and then a nice big top emissive OLED in a couple years once the reduced manufacturing cost savings set in and we've had a year or two of refinements on those panels.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Shit, since top emission is a while away I would've bought the A8F OLED right now if it had VRR support

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction with HDR.

I've noticed with some games lately that my blacks look more "true" when HDR is disabled. For example:
Games like Spyro and Tales of Vesperia (non-HDR) have deeper colors and true blacks. Then when I boot up something like Black Ops 4 (HDR enabled) the blacks get a little brighter and they are closer to gray. It's most noticeable in the menus.

I understand there is a very different art style between these games (cartoony vs realistic) but I'm really noticing it during the menu screens/loading. Non HDR games I see a true black while the HDR games have a bit of a brighter gray to to them, almost as if a very thin film of light has been layered over the screen.

Is that normal, or is something wrong with my settings? I have my PS4 Pro set to Limited and my B8 black level on Low.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
So, you'd prolly be beat served to read up a bit on how g sync/freesync function today. It's theoretically how VRR should work.

The most salient point that Bumrush is referring to is the VRR "window". Variable refresh generally only functions within a given window of frame rates. This varies by technology (g sync or freesync) and even within a given technology, it varies by monitor. If, for example, you had a freesync monitor where adaptive sync only functioned between 48fps and 60 FPS, this is massively useful as a pc gamer, but on an X1X where a lot of games are either locked at 30 or even variable, hardly get up to the 50s, you'll get minimal to no benefit.

This is all circumstantial at this time tho, because we have no idea what the VRR window is on any of these sets. So we have to wait and see.
Yeah, I had seen that earlier in the thread--the bit about the Samsung QLEDs only having a window of 48-60--and assumed that's what people were referencing. It's a bit moot now that I ended up buying that E8 anyways.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

I tried to upgrade a 2009 Panasonic 65" S1 this year. It was the worst year for the rising black levels (MLL was ~0.006fL when new, they had tripled to ~0.018fL last time I measured). There was one good thing about the '09 panels though, they would go bright as fuck by plasma standards. Mine has always been in a well lit den and I run it at 190nits / 55fL (10% windowed white peak) and that's not even close to the brightest it will go. IIRC maxed out it reaches ~90fL (~300 nits). Subsequent model years absolutely cratered the peak light output thanks to energy star requirements, a 2012 60" U50 I have will only reach 43fL (~143nits) absolutely maxed out, even the RGB gains are taken as high as they'll go in the service menu to still achieve a balanced D65. The S1 is not a primary display so I just wanted large screen budget 4K, the 70" Vizio E seemed a favorite. The overall image quality of the LCD was a massive step down, I returned it after a few day evaluation and put back up the plasma. This really surprised me cause the risen plasma has a native ANSI CR of ~3000:1. The LCD even without it's very limited local dimming is nearly 2x better, but it still looked much more washed out (even viewed straight on), far less perceived contrast and punch than the plasma. I am curious if the budget king P-series and 6-series fare any better. Returning 65"+ TV's is too much of a hassle for me to roll anymore dice however.

Last edited:

Micolash

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Did you run a cleaning cycle on it? I thought I had a permanent burn in too but a cycle fixed it for me.

Yeah, plus it's always on standby so it's doing the refresh after each viewing too (or whenever it's supposed to). I probably wouldn't notice it as much if the bars weren't right at the top of the screen where most games' skyboxes and stuff are, so I see big rectangles across the sky while playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

That new Samsung and Sony Z9G look great. Might go Sony, since IIRC they actually let you turn off local dimming, something Samsung doesn't allow outside of the service menu. Local dimming isn't something I necessarily need, especially if it causes crushed details or blooming. I'd rather have grey blacks.

No way in hell I'd even think about buying a new tv until at least September/October though. TVs at release are just insanely overpriced.

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to upgrade a 2009 Panasonic 65" S1 this year. It was the worst year for the rising black levels (MLL was ~0.006fL when new, they had tripled to ~0.018fL last time I measured). There was one good thing about the '09 panels though, they would go bright as fuck by plasma standards. Mine has always been in a well lit den and I run it at 190nits / 55fL (10% windowed white peak) and that's not even close to the brightest it will go. IIRC maxed out it reaches ~90fL (~300 nits). Subsequent model years absolutely cratered the peak light output thanks to energy star requirements, a 2012 60" U50 I have will only reach 43fL (~143nits) absolutely maxed out, even the RGB gains are taken as high as they'll go in the service menu to still achieve a balanced D65. The S1 is not a primary display so I just wanted large screen budget 4K, the 70" Vizio E seemed a favorite. The overall image quality of the LCD was a massive step down, I returned it after a few day evaluation and put back up the plasma. This really surprised me cause the risen plasma has a native ANSI CR of ~3000:1. The LCD even without it's very limited local dimming is nearly 2x better, but it still looked much more washed out (even viewed straight on), far less perceived contrast and punch than the plasma. I am curious if the budget king P-series and 6-series fare any better. Returning 65"+ TV's is too much of a hassle for me to roll anymore dice however.

Vizio E series is a budget display. Not really a good comparison. Might have fared better with a Sony FALD like the 930e or 900f.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
So my initial plan was to buy the LG OLED55C7V, but its nowhere to be found now since it's an outgoing model. Someone snapped up the last one in front of me.

So now my eyes are turned to the 2018 model LG OLED55C8PLAAEN
Anyone here have a opinion on it? Im a little bit frustrated cause it seems like the difference is minimal, and I could've bought 2017 version for cheaper money.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
So my initial plan was to buy the LG OLED55C7V, but its nowhere to be found now since it's an outgoing model. Someone snapped up the last one in front of me.

Anyone here have a opinion on it? Im a little bit frustrated cause it seems like the difference is minimal, and I could've bought 2017 version for cheaper money.

What's your use case? The C8 has brighter game mode than the C7 and better upscaling of sub-HD content as well

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

the C8 handles HDR games better (too dim on the C7 without metadata injection), I wouldn't choose a C7 over it for that reason.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as hell to see whether Samsung includes HDMI 2.1 in their 2019 4K QLED sets. I guess they didn't include that in the 8K sets right? That should probably be my sign, but I'm going to hold out hope anyway.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Highly doubt they'll raise the price based on features the ordinary TV owner won't really notice/make use of any time soon. They may keep the price though.