• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Try warm 1, I believe warm 2 is considered the more accurate setting.
Yeah if you aren't familiar with a properly calibrated picture then you might find whites looking a little red, but you quickly get used to it. Warm2 is more accurate but Warm1 is certainly the setting for pure white whites.
Tried Warm 1 and its still a little bit red. There has to be a setting to make the white balance a little bit less red.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
what is the deal with Samsung One Connect boxes?

i'm eager to hear more about the 2019 QF8N model, and if it could be easy to swap in hdmi 2.1 down the road

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I need to unsub from this thread lol, I've been pining for a new TV even though my current one is fine and my budget is relatively small and good cheap TVs apparently don't exist in the UK

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i'm eager to hear more about the 2019 QF8N model, and if it could be easy to swap in hdmi 2.1 down the road

I'm fairly certain that there's no technical reason that Samsung couldn't release a new One Connect box with a feature like HDMI 2.1. They did it before with the "evolution kit" for certain 2013-15 TV's.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Well this is really interesting, OLED light past 50, DOESN'T increase luminance any further, it lightens the picture like gamma, but it does not get actually brighter! Step in module HDR, the peak brightness not only increases by some margin, the highlight detail is kept, along with blacks like you'd expect, I don't see a downside to this at all, it's great :)

Thanks for looking into it. Weird LG would display OLED light at 50 instead of 100 in Dolby Vision.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

Just some general advice here, never buy a TV based on hopes or promises of future updates. This is an area where all television manufacturers underdeliver and are not held accountable by the softball media that covers this hobby.

If you want a TV that supports X and Y features, make sure it's in the box when you buy it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a thread like this for audio? I want to get a tv now but I know once the new tv's release in a few months I'll regret it. I'm planning to upgrade my Audio setup now and then save up money so I can buy one of the new tv's once they release.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm fairly certain that there's no technical reason that Samsung couldn't release a new One Connect box with a feature like HDMI 2.1. They did it before with the "evolution kit" for certain 2013-15 TV's.
Just some general advice here, never buy a TV based on hopes or promises of future updates. This is an area where all television manufacturers underdeliver and are not held accountable by the softball media that covers this hobby.

If you want a TV that supports X and Y features, make sure it's in the box when you buy it.

thanks, appreciate the insight

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a thread like this for audio? I want to get a tv now but I know once the new tv's release in a few months I'll regret it. I'm planning to upgrade my Audio setup now and then save up money so I can buy one of the new tv's once they release.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/audio-era-because-sound-matters.7045/page-28#post-16876915

It's not incredibly active but the folks that frequent that thread are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally done with my UHD/Blu-ray discs backlog.

"Let's see how big my iTunes backlog of movies is like"

Jesus christ lol, I bought a fuck ton more movies than I've realized. Its great tho, even rewatching movies on OLED feels like watching something new again because of how much better it looks.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

The One Connect cable has a bandwidth of 75gbps according to the product page, while hdmi 2.1 spec is 48gbps. So it is technically possible, based on the I/O of the tvs.

That said, Q9FN (2018 QLED) already supports eARC and VRR. So the current One Connect box is probably sufficient for HDMI 2.1 features. The Q9FN can't do 4k at 120fps, but that is probably a limitation of the panel technology (not something that can be fixed with HDMI).

That said, you don't need to support every feature to be 2.1 certified, and indeed 4k tvs by definition don't do 8k 60fps. So 4k 2019 QLEDs will probably be 2.1 certified, even if they don't upgrade the features from the 2018 models.

You also have to consider that features, like Dynamic HDR, are subjective. It is really the chipset that does this kind of video processing. The I/O is more incidental, and in that respect HDMI 2.1 is nothing but marketing.

8k tvs will (likely) support every 2.1 feature, because they're going to be so expensive, but that doesn't mean they will have the best picture quality. You still have to look at each tv on a case by case basis.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tv-accessories/optical-cable/

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The One Connect cable has a bandwidth of 75gbps according to the product page, while hdmi 2.1 spec is 48gbps. So it is technically possible, based on the I/O of the tvs. That said, Q9FN already support eARC and VRR. It can't do 4k at 120fps though, and that might be a limitation of the panel technology.

That said, you don't need to support every featured to get HDMI 2.1 certified. So it is possible 2019 QLEDs will have a full HDMI 2.1 certification, but they won't have the feature you're looking for (like high frame rate).

This is incredibly helpful - the only two features of 2.1 I need are actually VRR & eARC. Does the 2018 QF8N also support them or just the 9?

Also, anyone hear any word if the 9 successor will come in 55" in America?

Thanks!

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is incredibly helpful - the only two features of 2.1 I need are actually VRR & eARC. Does the 2018 QF8N also support them or just the 9?

Also, anyone hear any word if the 9 successor will come in 55"?

Thanks!

I wouldn't get the 2018 Samsung LCDs at this point, just wait a bit more for the 2019 sets and see how they all review, tons of new options this year.

Even the input lag on the 2019 Samsungs will be lower, so that alone should be reason enough to wait.

And the VRR on the 2018s is severely limited to 48-60 fps in 4k, which would only help with a handful of Xbox One X games. (a bit more useful on PC)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I wouldn't get the 2018 Samsung LCDs at this point, just wait a bit more for the 2019 sets and see how they all review, tons of new options this year.

Even the input lag on the 2019 Samsungs will be lower, so that alone should be reason enough to wait.

And the VRR on the 2018s is severely limited to 48-60 fps in 4k, which would only help with a handful of Xbox One X games. (a bit more useful on PC)

Oh I'm 100% waiting on 2019 sets, just trying to get a sense of where 2018 was.

What is the frame caps for VRR on "true" HDMI 2.1?

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Isn't it the opposite? I would wait for 2019 models if you're a hardcore PC gamer, and like to run games at 4k above 60fps. Console games are likely never going to go beyond 60. I mean, maybe. But it doesn't seem plausible. If I was a console gamer, and dead set on a QLED, I would consider waiting and buying the 2018 Q9 used later in the year.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Isn't it the opposite? I would wait for 2019 models if you're a hardcore PC gamer, and like to run games at 4k above 60fps. Console games are likely never going to go beyond 60. I mean, maybe. But it doesn't seem plausible. If I was a console gamer, I would consider waiting and buying the 2018 Q9 used later in the year.

i agree - drops from 50-60 is a nice sweet spot for my 1X

i have a gaming pc but it has it's own dedicated monitor and i don't hook it up to the TV

right now i'm waiting for march samsung event with eyes on the 2019 q8fn 55" but we'll see how sony's x900f follow up looks. if no good 4k vrr / earc lcd tv comes out this year, i may have to wait til 2020 :(

To my understanding, 120Hz is the limit. Though maybe I'm not understanding your question. Does VRR have a "limit" so to say independent of your TV's refresh rate?

yeah, VRR can sync your GPU output to the TV rate if the frames are between X & Y frames per second

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry gonna repost for new page. Is there an industry standard for colour temperature for games? In film industry I think it's warm 2. I see for rtings settings for lg c8 they recommend W40 for gaming, is that what I should use? Even though I have everything else at default settings I dunno if w40 is only recommended if you change all your settings to what they have.

I have it at 0 and it looks pretty good, both extremes of warm 40 and cold 40 looked off to me personally.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Is HDMi 2.1 going to have the full range of 30 fps to 120fps for VRR? Or am I just assuming it will? If you have the full range of 30 to 120 fps I would wait on hdmi 2.1 vrr for this alone. Even if you have to wait until 2020 for hdmi 2.1 devices to hook up to your tv at least you are set for the future.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry gonna repost for new page. Is there an industry standard for colour temperature for games? In film industry I think it's warm 2. I see for rtings settings for lg c8 they recommend W40 for gaming, is that what I should use? Even though I have everything else at default settings I dunno if w40 is only recommended if you change all your settings to what they have.

I have it at 0 and it looks pretty good, both extremes of warm 40 and cold 40 looked off to me personally.
Whatever is closest to 6500k, which usually is the warm or warm 2 setting.

Games are developed in the srgb color space which specifies a color temp of 6500k.

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I just ordered an LG OLED65C8 for a great price of CHF/USD2100 here in Switzerland, can't wait!
I'd like to wall mount again, what's regarded as the easiest, best and flattest to the wall mount solution?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Is HDMi 2.1 going to have the full range of 30 fps to 120fps for VRR? Or am I just assuming it will? If you have the full range of 30 to 120 fps I would wait on hdmi 2.1 vrr for this alone. Even if you have to wait until 2020 for hdmi 2.1 devices to hook up to your tv at least you are set for the future.

you're not wrong - i am just getting restless.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Isn't it the opposite? I would wait for 2019 models if you're a hardcore PC gamer, and like to run games at 4k above 60fps. Console games are likely never going to go beyond 60. I mean, maybe. But it doesn't seem plausible. If I was a console gamer, and dead set on a QLED, I would consider waiting and buying the 2018 Q9 used later in the year.

Given the MS/Samsung partnership in Auto-LL and VRR, I'd say it's all but guaranteed HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120Hz are going to be prominent marketing bullet points with the next consoles. I wouldn't even be shocked to see MS specifically shipping at least their premium SKU with a Display Port output as there is no longer any pretense, Xbox's official messaging is that it's an HTPC. Much like Pro and X titles currently have high resolution OR high frame rate toggles in the menus, that is where you will see 120Hz support if nowhere else. I don't expect many AAAA games to be running in 4K/120, but it's certainly plausible you may see titles like CoD or BF that prioritize frame rate running unlocked at 75Hz-90Hz and relying on VRR. High frame rates are absolutely going to be a signifiant focus next-gen.

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
Tried out setting Module HDR to On (LG C7) and cant see any difference at all in hdr mode. Only in SDR does it seem to make a difference. It looks to me like normal mode is actually the equivelent to an auto setting were with an SDR signal it is off and it switches to on with a HDR signal.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Given the MS/Samsung partnership in Auto-LL and VRR, I'd say it's all but guaranteed HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120Hz are going to be prominent marketing bullet points with the next consoles. I wouldn't even be shocked to see MS specifically shipping at least their premium SKU with a Display Port output as there is no longer any pretense, Xbox's official messaging is that it's an HTPC. Much like Pro and X titles currently have high resolution OR high frame rate toggles in the menus, that is where you will see 120Hz support if nowhere else. I don't expect many AAAA games to be running in 4K/120, but it's certainly plausible you may see titles like CoD or BF that prioritize frame rate running unlocked at 75Hz-90Hz and relying on VRR.
Marketing bullet points, but not necessarily materially valuable to most people. I mean, I think developers would have to include a 1080p mode to hit 120fps anyway, in which case the current Q9FN would function just fine. I also think HDMI 2.1 actually has a higher bandwidth than the current Display Port standards, so I don't know about that theory. I can imagine high frame rate I/O being used for VR games more than anything.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Given the MS/Samsung partnership in Auto-LL and VRR, I'd say it's all but guaranteed HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120Hz are going to be prominent marketing bullet points with the next consoles. I wouldn't even be shocked to see MS specifically shipping at least their premium SKU with a Display Port output as there is no longer any pretense, Xbox's official messaging is that it's an HTPC. Much like Pro and X titles currently have high resolution OR high frame rate toggles in the menus, that is where you will see 120Hz support if nowhere else. I don't expect many AAAA games to be running in 4K/120, but it's certainly plausible you may see titles like CoD or BF that prioritize frame rate running unlocked at 75Hz-90Hz and relying on VRR. High frame rates are absolutely going to be a signifiant focus next-gen.
Marketing bullet points, but not necessarily materially valuable to most people. I mean, I think developers would have to include a 1080p mode to hit 120fps anyway, in which case the current Q9FN would function just fine. I also think HDMI 2.1 actually has a higher bandwidth than the current Display Port standards, so I don't know about that theory. I can imagine high frame rate I/O being used for VR games more than anything.

thanks - it would be a bummer if only LG OLEDs & 8K tvs were the only 2.1s that came out this year

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i hate to bring up burn in again, but the C9 won't leave my list of potentials

my wife leaves DVR stuff on pause often
my father in law watches a lot of CNN

i'm not gonna be around to adjust their usage or convince them to do anything different

is an OLED still appropriate for my use case? or do i just need to wait until i'm in a position to make a dedicated mancave / home theatre set up VS what will be a general living room TV?

i'd prefer to keep a TV going for 10 years

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
The One Connect cable has a bandwidth of 75gbps according to the product page, while hdmi 2.1 spec is 48gbps. So it is technically possible, based on the I/O of the tvs.

That said, Q9FN (2018 QLED) already supports eARC and VRR. So the current One Connect box is probably sufficient for HDMI 2.1 features. The Q9FN can't do 4k at 120fps, but that is probably a limitation of the panel technology (not something that can be fixed with HDMI).

That said, you don't need to support every feature to be 2.1 certified, and indeed 4k tvs by definition don't do 8k 60fps. So 4k 2019 QLEDs will probably be 2.1 certified, even if they don't upgrade the features from the 2018 models.

You also have to consider that features, like Dynamic HDR, are subjective. It is really the chipset that does this kind of video processing. The I/O is more incidental, and in that respect HDMI 2.1 is nothing but marketing.

8k tvs will (likely) support every 2.1 feature, because they're going to be so expensive, but that doesn't mean they will have the best picture quality. You still have to look at each tv on a case by case basis.

That is inaccurate. The Q9FN DOES NOT Support eARC. I have a Q9FN and I wish it did. I want to use VRR but also have my 7.2.2 Audio System running, but you cannot do this at this time due to them not supporting eARC. If I want to use Freesync/VRR I need to connect direct to the One Connect box, but then my audio is limited since it does not pass Atmos or any other higher end audio. I hope they do have eARC soon, but then again, I am now really looking into the 77" C9 or 65" E9 as my 2019 set so it may be a mute point. Will wait for reviews on them and more details about the VRR on the LG and HDR Nits output and some of the other gaming related features of the new LG's. This will also give Samsung some time to release more info on the Q9FN 2019 model and it's features. But right now the 2019 LG is the front runner for me.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018

The purpose of Display Port would be "backwards compatibility" with the 10's of millions of Freesync 75-165hz+ monitors in circulation (and their ultra low cost going forward). Additionally, greater than 60Hz wouldn't be limited to 1080p, you would much more likely be talking about 1440p (native for monitors, scaled to 4K on TV's) or some interstitial checkerboard resolution, both of which from the televisions perspective and a bandwidth perspective, would require more than HDMI 2.0's 18Gbps.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hate to bring up burn in again, but the C9 won't leave my list of potentials

my wife leaves DVR stuff on pause often
my father in law watches a lot of CNN

i'm not gonna be around to adjust their usage or convince them to do anything different

is an OLED still appropriate for my use case? or do i just need to wait until i'm in a position to make a dedicated mancave / home theatre set up VS what will be a general living room TV?

i'd prefer to keep a TV going for 10 years

Its a real shame, but I think you are better off getting one of the new LCDs coming out :(

The main problem is your father in law using CNN a lot and you having no control of it. I pause my DVR shows a lot too, and as long as its not for prolonged periods of time that should be fine, its the CNN that would be the problem in your case.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The purpose of Display Port would be "backwards compatibility" with the 10's of millions of Freesync 75-165hz+ monitors in circulation (and their ultra low cost going forward). Additionally, greater than 60Hz wouldn't be limited to 1080p, you would much more likely be talking about 1440p (native for monitors, scaled to 4K on TV's) or some interstitial checkerboard resolution, both of which from the televisions perspective and a bandwidth perspective, would require more than HDMI 2.0's 18Gbps.
That's a reason to have it, but not necessarily a marketable one. I mean you can always use more ports.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK prices on current sets are creeping up (maybe due to the ever weakening pound?) so the thought of what these new sets will launch at, post-Brexit, is making me wake up in cold sweats at night. Should have bought a cheap one on Black Friday!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That is inaccurate. The Q9FN DOES NOT Support eARC. I have a Q9FN and I wish it did. I want to use VRR but also have my 7.2.2 Audio System running, but you cannot do this at this time due to them not supporting eARC. If I want to use Freesync/VRR I need to connect direct to the One Connect box, but then my audio is limited since it does not pass Atmos or any other higher end audio. I hope they do have eARC soon, but then again, I am now really looking into the 77" C9 or 65" E9 as my 2019 set so it may be a mute point. Will wait for reviews on them and more details about the VRR on the LG and HDR Nits output and some of the other gaming related features of the new LG's. This will also give Samsung some time to release more info on the Q9FN 2019 model and it's features. But right now the 2019 LG is the front runner for me.

Thanks for clarifying. How is the Samsung w/ HDR movies? One thing I would think to prefer in a Sony vs. Samsung is Dolby Vision, as most of my movies are iTunes DV 4K.

Its a real shame, but I think you are better off getting one of the new LCDs coming out :(

The main problem is your father in law using CNN a lot and you having no control of it. I pause my DVR shows a lot too, and as long as its not for prolonged periods of time that should be fine, its the CNN that would be the problem in your case.

Thanks, this is what I was leaning towards as well.

Oh well, still worth it instead of paying for a strange to watch my baby.

Menaged

Oct 29, 2017
Probably asked a bunch of times here, but I'm thinking of getting the 55" B8 (SLC if that matters?) for 1550 USD.
I guess my real question is what's the difference between it and the C8 which is about 400 USD more.