AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
A local store has the 55" LG B7 for £1175 today only and I am very tempted to pop around after work and get one.

The thing is I already have a Sony KD55X8005C (which I think is the EU equivalent to the X810C) which is a 4K set without HDR and I'm a little worried I'll have buyers remorse if the jump to OLED/HDR doesn't blow me away sufficiently.

I've not had much opportunity to see many HDR sets apart from a couple of times in a brightly lit electronics store and didn't see anything mind blowing. I did briefly see the LG C8 in the local stores back room playing the throne room scene from Last Jedi and it did look very nice. I'm worried I'm not the kind of person who will appreciate the difference, usual gaming related nitpicks like screen tearing are not something I ever notice and I really struggled to notice any difference after upgrading to a PS4 Pro.

The TV would be predominantly for gaming and I have heard quite a bit about the dim game mode which is probably the only thing staying my hand. TV & movies are mostly through netflix, amazon and other on demand services.

Anyone able to offer any testimony that would tip me over the edge or help me decide to tie myself to the ship's mast until this fit of impulse purchase madness passes?

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
then how come they didn't have issues manufacturing DV discs for Black Panther or Last Jedi etc?

I don't know but I'm more inclined to think it's a supply chain issue as opposed to a broad policy change. I think we'd need a string of 4 or 5 in a row before before we assume they aren't doing Dolby Vision on discs anymore.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking through that thread, the issue with BP is the audio, which I 100% agree with it. It is low, there's something wrong with the mix, LFE in particular is busted.

Video-wise it's more impactful than the new Blade Runner. IMO. Though BR is very good.

I think AVSForum's tier ranking for reference discs is still the best go-to on the Internet.

I was super impressed with the BP UHD too.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright TV enthusiasts. I have never been a big believer in HDMI cords. I know have a 4k HDR tv but the same old cables I have had for awhile that were included with the consoles or that I have lying around. Should I upgrade to something like the Audioquests to truly get the quality I want out of my TV or is it mostly malarkey?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
Alright TV enthusiasts. I have never been a big believer in HDMI cords. I know have a 4k HDR tv but the same old cables I have had for awhile that were included with the consoles or that I have lying around. Should I upgrade to something like the Audioquests to truly get the quality I want out of my TV or is it mostly malarkey?
Just make sure they're certified for premium to support 4K/HDR and you're fine. amazon stuff works fine, esp on short runs.

I have AQ stuff but that's because I have 2 26ft cables, and runs that long are a completely different story (but you can prolly still find cheaper than AQ, like Monoprice)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A local store has the 55" LG B7 for £1175 today only and I am very tempted to pop around after work and get one.

The thing is I already have a Sony KD55X8005C (which I think is the EU equivalent to the X810C) which is a 4K set without HDR and I'm a little worried I'll have buyers remorse if the jump to OLED/HDR doesn't blow me away sufficiently.

I've not had much opportunity to see many HDR sets apart from a couple of times in a brightly lit electronics store and didn't see anything mind blowing. I did briefly see the LG C8 in the local stores back room playing the throne room scene from Last Jedi and it did look very nice. I'm worried I'm not the kind of person who will appreciate the difference, usual gaming related nitpicks like screen tearing are not something I ever notice and I really struggled to notice any difference after upgrading to a PS4 Pro.

The TV would be predominantly for gaming and I have heard quite a bit about the dim game mode which is probably the only thing staying my hand. TV & movies are mostly through netflix, amazon and other on demand services.

Anyone able to offer any testimony that would tip me over the edge or help me decide to tie myself to the ship's mast until this fit of impulse purchase madness passes?

Can you tell me which store so I can get a price match? :)

Freewheelin

Nov 1, 2017
Oh man the Local Dimming on the LG Sj800V is the worst. The beginning of Black Panther (jungle-convoi-scene) was nearly unwatchable. It's a dark scene, with a lot of cuts. The 6-zone local dimming was going crazy, because the position of the humans (bright zone) and the dark background (darker zones) changed constantly, resulting in a distracting flickering. Seriously thinking about selling the TV, but I bought it very cheap and I don't have the budget atm :( The rest looks very good, bright HDR is good, but dark scenes are crazy bad.
I tried to tolerate it in the beginning, but it bothers me more and more.
Yeah the local dimming is very bad lol, I see no reason why you should leave it on though? What does it actually do? Also what HDR mode do you have your films on?

I might get some bias lighting too, am I okay with any one off Amazon UK?

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I've read as much, and have 2M cables myself, but even with 1M i've never had issues. I've read white papers on how and why there can be issues, but never actually experienced any myself.

The whole HDMI cable thing defintely leaves me cold, such an bullshit area of home entertainment! It's like how you're told to buy certain bandwidth capable cables to run your gear properly, and even then, half don't bloody work. I've got an 11 year old 2 metre HDMI cable, and it'll run at a full 18gbps! 4K 60hz 10bit, was rated for HDMI 1.2 lol.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
The whole HDMI cable thing defintely leaves me cold, such an bullshit area of home entertainment! It's like how you're told to buy certain bandwidth capable cables to run your gear properly, and even then, half don't bloody work. I've got an 11 year old 2 metre HDMI cable, and it'll run at a full 18gbps! 4K 60hz 10bit, was rated for HDMI 1.2 lol.
Yep, it's all about how well they were built to begin with

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've read as much, and have 2M cables myself, but even with 1M i've never had issues. I've read white papers on how and why there can be issues, but never actually experienced any myself.

I haven't run into it personally but have seen it happen to others. The Oppo beta testers that I trust preach it so I take it as good advice. I don't think I've tried a short cable honestly.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
New C8 owner here. Please tell me what I need to do to avoid burn in. Trying not to ruin my 2500 set within the first week of owning it.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
New C8 owner here. Please tell me what I need to do to avoid burn in. Trying not to ruin my 2500 set within the first week of owning it.

Vary content as much as possible (if you're using your TV to play one game for thousands of hours and that game has static hud elements, consider a different set), don't keep OLED light too high on SDR content, consider "stretching" the screen if you are watching the same news stations to avoid logo burn in and / or enable logo dimming when watching news stations

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to upgrade to 4K after rocking a Sony 55" XDH series since 2010. Its served well, but just upgraded to the TCL 55R615 series and I am just blown away. I had to take an open box model back (it had smudges under the screen), but returned home a few hrs ago, mounted the replacement (just went w/ new), ran some tests and yeah, it seems I won the panel lottery. There is a few slight vertical bands, but no dead pixels, and the corners don't seem as dark as the previous. You don't even notice it at all.

Really hard to beat the price for the entry into 4K/DV/HDR. At some point I'll go nuts and spend a few grand down the road, but this is more than enough to suffice.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Vary content as much as possible (if you're using your TV to play one game for thousands of hours and that game has static hud elements, consider a different set), don't keep OLED light too high on SDR content, consider "stretching" the screen if you are watching the same news stations to avoid logo burn in and / or enable logo dimming when watching news stations

Logo dimming is a must it seems. Not sure the fear of image burn in outweighs the pros of excellent image quality.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Logo dimming is a must it seems. Not sure the fear of image burn in outweighs the pros of excellent image quality.

I believe some folks are saying the logo dimming can bring some unforeseen ABL issues to the rest of the image though, so play it by ear.

Enjoy the set! I'm 99% sure I'll be getting the same later in the year.

MuckyBarnes

Oct 27, 2017
Vancouver, B.C.
I finally jumped in this weekend with a 65" X900F, and a X700 player. I'm still messing around with some settings, but I'm pretty damn happy with things thus far.

Big thanks to everyone who posts here. Between assessing LED vs. OLED for your setup/use cases, and to a lesser extent, understanding the competing HDR formats, it's harder than ever to get straight answers and real info.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Grabbed a TCL Series 5 43" as a second TV, and I'm really surprised at the quality for the price.

HDR stuff doesn't look that great imo, but SDR content really 'pops' on it.

Dosia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is considered "too high" for OLED light for SDR content? I believe mine is set at 40. This was reduced from the default of 80 I think it was.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason to own an Amazon Fire TV 4K if I'm getting a C8 later this year or do the internal apps all do their job just as well? £25 on sale today in th UK (for Amazon Student members)

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
If you're getting a C8, you're fine without it. Save up for Apple4k instead.
Thanks. I assumed as much. I was swinging between an Apple 4K and a Shield TV but saw this deal and had a rush of FOMO.

On the Apple side, if I build up a wish list in the ITunes app, will it give me notifications when films/shows I'm after go on sale? Similar to what Steam does. I'd like to start building a library now since I've been really impressed with the way Apple handles 4K upgrades

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I assumed as much. I was swinging between an Apple 4K and a Shield TV but saw this deal and had a rush of FOMO.

On the Apple side, if I build up a wish list in the ITunes app, will it give me notifications when films/shows I'm after go on sale? Similar to what Steam does. I'd like to start building a library now since I've been really impressed with the way Apple handles 4K upgrades

Main reason for the Apple 4k is that their movies for Dolby Vision are using the same master as the UHD releases. Just less bitrate. Whether you can see that difference in bitrate on a 55/65/77 and certain viewing distances, it's not as clear as it once was.

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was at the HDTVTest shootout. Here are my 2 sets of impressions:

Results:

Best overall TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

Best HDR TV: LG C8 OLED

Best gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN QLED

Best living room TV: Sony AF8 OLED

Best home theater TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

My notes:
Samsung: Black, near black and uniformity performance is awful when next to the oled's. Great sets for gaming. Sweet spot is very narrow with major PQ deg. off axis. This set had a major dse issue making it not viable for purchase.

LG. Great all around but not masterful at anything. Still the price to performance leader. Opposite of Sony for strengths and weaknesses.

Sony: Great SDR, upscales the best, best gradation. HDR lacks punch significantly when compared to ref monitors and other oleds.

Panasonic: by far the best colors and closest to ref monitors there. Combine LG's HDR with Sony's video processing and you a Panasonic. Came at the expense of black crush.

Overall: all the oleds were quite close with nitpicking and individual use cases being the decider. Outside of hdr brightness, the Q9 falls well behind. The LCD tech, outside of a major breakthrough is going to struggle.
Another great event ran by Vincent and company!

Part 2:

Adding more thoughts from the shootout:

- It's important to note that the difference in scoring between the top 2 were often a low as three place beyond the decimal point! These sets are really close and one of the challenges Vincent had was actually finding content that would highlight the differences between the OLED's. Even then you had to have an eye. No detail was given on what to look for specifically in the content so it was purely your ability and sensitivity to issues that determined your score.

- Tyler form Calman (most familiar brand) mentioned that gaming studios they have worked with are becoming focused on following standards and mastering their games to hollywood like standards while respective artistic intentions. So it's no longer about gaming PQ taking a back seat to latency. TV manufacturers will have to step up and provide low latency along with good adjustability in gaming mode. That's great news all around

- There were a total of 4 calibrators there. Vincent from HDTVTest. Tyler and his coworker from Calman and the main guy (and highly respected) from HDTV Poland. If I missed anyone, please jump in and correct me. This means you had multiple perspectives which is important

- All sets had 100+ hours on them before calibration

- There is a sense of depth and saturation to the picture that OLED's seem to have natively that the Q9F and even last year, the Z9D simply couldn't touch. The perceived depth and saturation is likely due to each pixel being a black canvas that the color is extruding from thus giving it natural richness. I'm not sure if this shows up in measurements but side by side, it's clear as can be

- Having the Sony mastering monitors is a huge plus and we had 2 this time allowing each set to be adjacently compared to the Sony RGB oled monitor. This takes all the guess work and "what if" out of the equation. You simply look at the picture as it's intended and then determine how close each sets comes. Simple but powerful.

- I brought up the point about color volume and this led to a good discussion. Vincent stated that he found such little value in this parameter that he's stopped measuring it as part of his review process. Other professionals didn't protest this finding either. One of the calman guys mentioned a specific scene in a movie where's a clown's nose fell outside of the working range of the color gamut and in that particular instance, you could see a difference.

- We also had a good discussion about the future of LCD. Vincent stated that they can keep upping the brightness and adding more zones but the problem, as @rogo has mentioned here for years, is the cost to manufacture. The more LCD's try to match OLED's on quality, while the OLED's continue to drop in price rapidly, the harder it becomes from an economics standpoint to stay in the fight

- Tyler mentioned a new LCD mastering panel out by Panasonic (could be wrong on the brand) that is 2 LCD's packed together. The 1st LCD acts as the light control and the 2nd LCD is there for color. This allows the 1st LCD to control the light at a per pixel level. Currently 20k for 30 inches if you're wondering about feasibility. Hopefully we get to see one next year at the shootout. I believe it was limited to 1000nits and some issue with off axis along with cross talk due to the panel sandwich approach.

One of the best things for me attending these shootouts is the candid conversation that takes place. With the fury of the internet ready to cast judgement for every word you speak it's hard for these guys to be more open in the public square. Yet in an intimate setting and being surrounded by a group of enthusiasts who simply want to learn and observe, it creates great conversation and I learn more from one of these events than months of filtering through months of internet half truths and "read between the lines" type of messaging.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I was at the HDTVTest shootout. Here are my 2 sets of impressions:

Results:

Best overall TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

Best HDR TV: LG C8 OLED

Best gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN QLED

Best living room TV: Sony AF8 OLED

Best home theater TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

My notes:
Samsung: Black, near black and uniformity performance is awful when next to the oled's. Great sets for gaming. Sweet spot is very narrow with major PQ deg. off axis. This set had a major dse issue making it not viable for purchase.

LG. Great all around but not masterful at anything. Still the price to performance leader. Opposite of Sony for strengths and weaknesses.

Sony: Great SDR, upscales the best, best gradation. HDR lacks punch significantly when compared to ref monitors and other oleds.

Panasonic: by far the best colors and closest to ref monitors there. Combine LG's HDR with Sony's video processing and you a Panasonic. Came at the expense of black crush.

Overall: all the oleds were quite close with nitpicking and individual use cases being the decider. Outside of hdr brightness, the Q9 falls well behind. The LCD tech, outside of a major breakthrough is going to struggle.
Another great event ran by Vincent and company!

Part 2:

Adding more thoughts from the shootout:

- It's important to note that the difference in scoring between the top 2 were often a low as three place beyond the decimal point! These sets are really close and one of the challenges Vincent had was actually finding content that would highlight the differences between the OLED's. Even then you had to have an eye. No detail was given on what to look for specifically in the content so it was purely your ability and sensitivity to issues that determined your score.

- Tyler form Calman (most familiar brand) mentioned that gaming studios they have worked with are becoming focused on following standards and mastering their games to hollywood like standards while respective artistic intentions. So it's no longer about gaming PQ taking a back seat to latency. TV manufacturers will have to step up and provide low latency along with good adjustability in gaming mode. That's great news all around

- There were a total of 4 calibrators there. Vincent from HDTVTest. Tyler and his coworker from Calman and the main guy (and highly respected) from HDTV Poland. If I missed anyone, please jump in and correct me. This means you had multiple perspectives which is important

- All sets had 100+ hours on them before calibration

- There is a sense of depth and saturation to the picture that OLED's seem to have natively that the Q9F and even last year, the Z9D simply couldn't touch. The perceived depth and saturation is likely due to each pixel being a black canvas that the color is extruding from thus giving it natural richness. I'm not sure if this shows up in measurements but side by side, it's clear as can be

- Having the Sony mastering monitors is a huge plus and we had 2 this time allowing each set to be adjacently compared to the Sony RGB oled monitor. This takes all the guess work and "what if" out of the equation. You simply look at the picture as it's intended and then determine how close each sets comes. Simple but powerful.

- I brought up the point about color volume and this led to a good discussion. Vincent stated that he found such little value in this parameter that he's stopped measuring it as part of his review process. Other professionals didn't protest this finding either. One of the calman guys mentioned a specific scene in a movie where's a clown's nose fell outside of the working range of the color gamut and in that particular instance, you could see a difference.

- We also had a good discussion about the future of LCD. Vincent stated that they can keep upping the brightness and adding more zones but the problem, as @rogo has mentioned here for years, is the cost to manufacture. The more LCD's try to match OLED's on quality, while the OLED's continue to drop in price rapidly, the harder it becomes from an economics standpoint to stay in the fight

- Tyler mentioned a new LCD mastering panel out by Panasonic (could be wrong on the brand) that is 2 LCD's packed together. The 1st LCD acts as the light control and the 2nd LCD is there for color. This allows the 1st LCD to control the light at a per pixel level. Currently 20k for 30 inches if you're wondering about feasibility. Hopefully we get to see one next year at the shootout. I believe it was limited to 1000nits and some issue with off axis along with cross talk due to the panel sandwich approach.

One of the best things for me attending these shootouts is the candid conversation that takes place. With the fury of the internet ready to cast judgement for every word you speak it's hard for these guys to be more open in the public square. Yet in an intimate setting and being surrounded by a group of enthusiasts who simply want to learn and observe, it creates great conversation and I learn more from one of these events than months of filtering through months of internet half truths and "read between the lines" type of messaging.

I've said the colour volume thing is horse shit too, when you've got these really bright LCD's, managing amazing colour ranges, but at the same time bleeding those colours out with the backlight, is actually counter intuitive.

It is Panasonic, they sandwich two IPS panels together, and can create an 1000000:1 CR, I'm not sure why they are that much money though, as they can be manufactured in existing standard LCD plants.

I'd never ever buy an LCD again, had one 512 zone fald, spent a ton of time with a ZD9, and I just know how naff the Q9FN will be in the dark.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
After a ton of research I've decided to get the X900F. Now I'm fighting the urge to buy it before Black Friday.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best mid range receiver that's 4K/HDR compatible, brehs? I just picked up a b7 for $500 off of that target deal.

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania

If hdr doesn't blow you away, I will never forgive you. 4k without hdr is like a beautiful supercar with a gutless engine