• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Any Sony 900e/900f owners out there?

I've had my 65" 900f for three days now, so I've spent a lot of time with it to know that, on the whole, I think it's a good set. For black levels, HDR, and colour vibrancy I think the LG OLEDS definitely have it beat. However, for brightness and motion, I think the 900f might actually be better.

However... how severe is light bleed for folks out there? Bloom was something I was prepared for with the set, however the lower right corner of the TV is always at a pitch lighter than the rest of the screen. It becomes really obvious when black bars or a widescreen image appears. I don't notice it 90% of the time but this past weekend I put the set through its paces. Played a lot of Forza Horizon 3, which alternates very frequently between black bars, so I'd go for a while without noticing it, and thinking the image was really good, to suddenly entering or exiting a race, black bars appearing, and then being reminded that around 20% of the screen isn't uniform as the lower right is bleeding somewhat.

Is this just a common occurrence? Does the 900e have this too? I watched a video review on YouTube and they pointed out the exact same issue in the exact same place too...
Im not trying to discourage you or anything, but back in May when I was looking for my game room tv I went with the 55 900e. Got it all set up and everything, I literally had/saw the same issue you're seeing. It was in the lower right corner of the screen. Every time I watched a widescreen video or the screen went black I could see the little bit of light coming out of the right bottom corner. Tried messing with the settings and everything, and just couldn't get it to go away. ended up just swapping it for an OLED after a few weeks of playing with the set.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
What HDR settings should I be using when watching Netflix or Blu-ray's on an lg oled? Bright / Standard? What are some of the settings that you guys prefer?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally jumped in this weekend with a 65" X900F, and a X700 player. I'm still messing around with some settings, but I'm pretty damn happy with things thus far.

Big thanks to everyone who posts here. Between assessing LED vs. OLED for your setup/use cases, and to a lesser extent, understanding the competing HDR formats, it's harder than ever to get straight answers and real info.

Its an amazing TV for the price. I'm also super happy with my set.

I hope the 1X eventually gets DV support for 4k discs, cause I really don't wanna spend extra on a 4k player like that X700.

And I know what you mean, TV tech is super complicated now so its nice to have a thread like this with a lot of helpful people.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was at the HDTVTest shootout. Here are my 2 sets of impressions:

Results:

Best overall TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

Best HDR TV: LG C8 OLED

Best gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN QLED

Best living room TV: Sony AF8 OLED

Best home theater TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

My notes:
Samsung: Black, near black and uniformity performance is awful when next to the oled's. Great sets for gaming. Sweet spot is very narrow with major PQ deg. off axis. This set had a major dse issue making it not viable for purchase.

LG. Great all around but not masterful at anything. Still the price to performance leader. Opposite of Sony for strengths and weaknesses.

Sony: Great SDR, upscales the best, best gradation. HDR lacks punch significantly when compared to ref monitors and other oleds.

Panasonic: by far the best colors and closest to ref monitors there. Combine LG's HDR with Sony's video processing and you a Panasonic. Came at the expense of black crush.

Overall: all the oleds were quite close with nitpicking and individual use cases being the decider. Outside of hdr brightness, the Q9 falls well behind. The LCD tech, outside of a major breakthrough is going to struggle.
Another great event ran by Vincent and company!

Part 2:

Adding more thoughts from the shootout:

- It's important to note that the difference in scoring between the top 2 were often a low as three place beyond the decimal point! These sets are really close and one of the challenges Vincent had was actually finding content that would highlight the differences between the OLED's. Even then you had to have an eye. No detail was given on what to look for specifically in the content so it was purely your ability and sensitivity to issues that determined your score.

- Tyler form Calman (most familiar brand) mentioned that gaming studios they have worked with are becoming focused on following standards and mastering their games to hollywood like standards while respective artistic intentions. So it's no longer about gaming PQ taking a back seat to latency. TV manufacturers will have to step up and provide low latency along with good adjustability in gaming mode. That's great news all around

- There were a total of 4 calibrators there. Vincent from HDTVTest. Tyler and his coworker from Calman and the main guy (and highly respected) from HDTV Poland. If I missed anyone, please jump in and correct me. This means you had multiple perspectives which is important

- All sets had 100+ hours on them before calibration

- There is a sense of depth and saturation to the picture that OLED's seem to have natively that the Q9F and even last year, the Z9D simply couldn't touch. The perceived depth and saturation is likely due to each pixel being a black canvas that the color is extruding from thus giving it natural richness. I'm not sure if this shows up in measurements but side by side, it's clear as can be

- Having the Sony mastering monitors is a huge plus and we had 2 this time allowing each set to be adjacently compared to the Sony RGB oled monitor. This takes all the guess work and "what if" out of the equation. You simply look at the picture as it's intended and then determine how close each sets comes. Simple but powerful.

- I brought up the point about color volume and this led to a good discussion. Vincent stated that he found such little value in this parameter that he's stopped measuring it as part of his review process. Other professionals didn't protest this finding either. One of the calman guys mentioned a specific scene in a movie where's a clown's nose fell outside of the working range of the color gamut and in that particular instance, you could see a difference.

- We also had a good discussion about the future of LCD. Vincent stated that they can keep upping the brightness and adding more zones but the problem, as @rogo has mentioned here for years, is the cost to manufacture. The more LCD's try to match OLED's on quality, while the OLED's continue to drop in price rapidly, the harder it becomes from an economics standpoint to stay in the fight

- Tyler mentioned a new LCD mastering panel out by Panasonic (could be wrong on the brand) that is 2 LCD's packed together. The 1st LCD acts as the light control and the 2nd LCD is there for color. This allows the 1st LCD to control the light at a per pixel level. Currently 20k for 30 inches if you're wondering about feasibility. Hopefully we get to see one next year at the shootout. I believe it was limited to 1000nits and some issue with off axis along with cross talk due to the panel sandwich approach.

One of the best things for me attending these shootouts is the candid conversation that takes place. With the fury of the internet ready to cast judgement for every word you speak it's hard for these guys to be more open in the public square. Yet in an intimate setting and being surrounded by a group of enthusiasts who simply want to learn and observe, it creates great conversation and I learn more from one of these events than months of filtering through months of internet half truths and "read between the lines" type of messaging.

Thanks for the update! Just wish the Panasonic had Dolby Vision support. Vincent seemed to prefer Dolby Vision to HDR10 in his YT comparison video, and if you have Apple 4K TV, you can use either one of the two.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I have a chance to get the 2017 LG B7V for £2000. Is it worth it and what is the difference between the 'B' range and the others? Thanks

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What HDR settings should I be using when watching Netflix or Blu-ray's on an lg oled? Bright / Standard? What are some of the settings that you guys prefer?

HDR standard. Don't really need to touch the settings much. Other modes are simply less accurate. Of course your peference can override accuracy. And you might find standard too dark for viewing in a light room. Though HDR is meant for viewing in a dark room really.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I finally jumped in this weekend with a 65" X900F, and a X700 player. I'm still messing around with some settings, but I'm pretty damn happy with things thus far.

Big thanks to everyone who posts here. Between assessing LED vs. OLED for your setup/use cases, and to a lesser extent, understanding the competing HDR formats, it's harder than ever to get straight answers and real info.

Hey, same as me! Minus the X700 player that is. Have you experienced light bloom in the lower right corner of the screen like me though? It's the only slight I have against the TV as everything else about it, I'm genuinely loving.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
I think it's cost, all of Disney UHD releases are on BD66 dual layered disc with a 108 mbps bit rate. Avengers is nearly 3 hours long, DV probably pushes them over the storage capacity and they are unwilling to spend the money on triple layer disc BD100, 130 mbps bit rate.
Now that is some sound technical logic I can get behind.

It just seems very scattered. Thor didn't have it, or coco, or even incredibles which was a month ago or w/e and I don't believe that's a very long movie.

And I can only imagine this will get worse, not better, when they launch their platform.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
If HDR gaming is the main purpose the Vizio M series is a better choice than the P series, the input lag is twice as high on the P series when you have HDR on, here's a comparison on rtings. Got a M55 last year as a stop-gap until HDMI 2.1, I'm very happy with it. Would have went with a TCL if it was readily available in Canada, didn't feel like driving down to Vermont.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Im not trying to discourage you or anything, but back in May when I was looking for my game room tv I went with the 55 900e. Got it all set up and everything, I literally had/saw the same issue you're seeing. It was in the lower right corner of the screen. Every time I watched a widescreen video or the screen went black I could see the little bit of light coming out of the right bottom corner. Tried messing with the settings and everything, and just couldn't get it to go away. ended up just swapping it for an OLED after a few weeks of playing with the set.

It's especially annoying that I've gone from a 55" C7 with issues every time the screen was bright/white, to a 65" 900f that has issues every time the screen is dark/black :/

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What's the word on HDMI 2.1?

I am still on 1080p, but lining up to updated around Spring 2019.

Want to do 55" HDR OLED that will be forward compatible with HDMI 2.1 so I can take advantage of freesync next gen.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
What's the word on HDMI 2.1?

I am still on 1080p, but lining up to updated around Spring 2019.

Want to do 55" HDR OLED that will be forward compatible with HDMI 2.1 so I can take advantage of freesync next gen.

Thoughts?

VRR is actually already available on existing sets (specifically Samsung's Q line from 2018) so there is no need to wait for HDMI certification, just LG / Sony / etc.

For me, the bigger benefits of 2.1 will come during 8K

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I legit cannot settle on any Trumotion settings that I like on the B7. I'm seeing folks elsewhere posting to use TM 0,0 with Real cinema on, tm 0,0 rc off, some saying tm 0,0 doesn't do anything, or setting DJ 4 DB 0, I'm losing my mind.

Id like settings to improve notion, but not induce SOE.

Anyone have insight or settings they could share?

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
WTF re: MS?

Sweet re: two more bounce speakers. So how does that work? Where do you put the second set (assuming you put the first set on your towers?)?
First set is actually sitting on a home made (read: janky) solution i rigged with a 2x4 sitting across the mouting posts of my tv stand. you can't see it unless you look behind, but they're sitting essentially on the outer edges of the TV.

Second set will sit above the surround backs in the rear of the room. They will be a tight fit, and a bit higher than i want, but I honestly feel overwhelmed with guilt not using open amplifier channels, so that's my life now.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
55 inch LG b7 is on sale at £1174. Worth jumping in or holding out to see if it drops further?

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017

I had/have some light bleed on my Sony LCD from the corners and edges (edge lit lcd). I'm not recommending what I did with my set, but I used a brand new micro fiber towel and "massaged" the areas with light bleed very carefully. Improved the light bleed. I read of people on avsforum trying this method with mixed results. The tv also had some minor clouding on an all black screen, and I did the same to "massage" that to improve things a bit. This is on a 75" model, which from my understanding the larger lcd's can suffer from more uniformity, and clouding issues.

Ymmv, I am not responsible for any damage done to the set.

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
First set is actually sitting on a home made (read: janky) solution i rigged with a 2x4 sitting across the mouting posts of my tv stand. you can't see it unless you look behind, but they're sitting essentially on the outer edges of the TV.

Second set will sit above the surround backs in the rear of the room. They will be a tight fit, and a bit higher than i want, but I honestly feel overwhelmed with guilt not using open amplifier channels, so that's my life now.

Oh ok, that sounds awesome.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
VRR is actually already available on existing sets (specifically Samsung's Q line from 2018) so there is no need to wait for HDMI certification, just LG / Sony / etc.

For me, the bigger benefits of 2.1 will come during 8K

What do you mean "just LG/Sony" etc?

Does that mean we need to wait til they update their sets?

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I was at the HDTVTest shootout. Here are my 2 sets of impressions:

Results:

Best overall TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

Best HDR TV: LG C8 OLED

Best gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN QLED

Best living room TV: Sony AF8 OLED

Best home theater TV: Panasonic FZ802 OLED

My notes:
Samsung: Black, near black and uniformity performance is awful when next to the oled's. Great sets for gaming. Sweet spot is very narrow with major PQ deg. off axis. This set had a major dse issue making it not viable for purchase.

LG. Great all around but not masterful at anything. Still the price to performance leader. Opposite of Sony for strengths and weaknesses.

Sony: Great SDR, upscales the best, best gradation. HDR lacks punch significantly when compared to ref monitors and other oleds.

Panasonic: by far the best colors and closest to ref monitors there. Combine LG's HDR with Sony's video processing and you a Panasonic. Came at the expense of black crush.

Overall: all the oleds were quite close with nitpicking and individual use cases being the decider. Outside of hdr brightness, the Q9 falls well behind. The LCD tech, outside of a major breakthrough is going to struggle.
Another great event ran by Vincent and company!

Part 2:

Adding more thoughts from the shootout:

- It's important to note that the difference in scoring between the top 2 were often a low as three place beyond the decimal point! These sets are really close and one of the challenges Vincent had was actually finding content that would highlight the differences between the OLED's. Even then you had to have an eye. No detail was given on what to look for specifically in the content so it was purely your ability and sensitivity to issues that determined your score.

- Tyler form Calman (most familiar brand) mentioned that gaming studios they have worked with are becoming focused on following standards and mastering their games to hollywood like standards while respective artistic intentions. So it's no longer about gaming PQ taking a back seat to latency. TV manufacturers will have to step up and provide low latency along with good adjustability in gaming mode. That's great news all around

- There were a total of 4 calibrators there. Vincent from HDTVTest. Tyler and his coworker from Calman and the main guy (and highly respected) from HDTV Poland. If I missed anyone, please jump in and correct me. This means you had multiple perspectives which is important

- All sets had 100+ hours on them before calibration

- There is a sense of depth and saturation to the picture that OLED's seem to have natively that the Q9F and even last year, the Z9D simply couldn't touch. The perceived depth and saturation is likely due to each pixel being a black canvas that the color is extruding from thus giving it natural richness. I'm not sure if this shows up in measurements but side by side, it's clear as can be

- Having the Sony mastering monitors is a huge plus and we had 2 this time allowing each set to be adjacently compared to the Sony RGB oled monitor. This takes all the guess work and "what if" out of the equation. You simply look at the picture as it's intended and then determine how close each sets comes. Simple but powerful.

- I brought up the point about color volume and this led to a good discussion. Vincent stated that he found such little value in this parameter that he's stopped measuring it as part of his review process. Other professionals didn't protest this finding either. One of the calman guys mentioned a specific scene in a movie where's a clown's nose fell outside of the working range of the color gamut and in that particular instance, you could see a difference.

- We also had a good discussion about the future of LCD. Vincent stated that they can keep upping the brightness and adding more zones but the problem, as @rogo has mentioned here for years, is the cost to manufacture. The more LCD's try to match OLED's on quality, while the OLED's continue to drop in price rapidly, the harder it becomes from an economics standpoint to stay in the fight

- Tyler mentioned a new LCD mastering panel out by Panasonic (could be wrong on the brand) that is 2 LCD's packed together. The 1st LCD acts as the light control and the 2nd LCD is there for color. This allows the 1st LCD to control the light at a per pixel level. Currently 20k for 30 inches if you're wondering about feasibility. Hopefully we get to see one next year at the shootout. I believe it was limited to 1000nits and some issue with off axis along with cross talk due to the panel sandwich approach.

One of the best things for me attending these shootouts is the candid conversation that takes place. With the fury of the internet ready to cast judgement for every word you speak it's hard for these guys to be more open in the public square. Yet in an intimate setting and being surrounded by a group of enthusiasts who simply want to learn and observe, it creates great conversation and I learn more from one of these events than months of filtering through months of internet half truths and "read between the lines" type of messaging.

Thank you for these impressions.

I'm in the United States, where Panasonic no longer makes TVs. I bought a C8 two weeks ago that replaced a 2006 Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. What a great set that was. The fact I had it 12 years says it all. I was still debating whether to upgrade now or stick with it a while longer.

Assuming that this shootout would have taken place in the U.S., where the FZ802 is not available, what do you think the results would have been? Would the LG C8 have taken the awards the Panasonic did, or would the Sony AF8?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Want to pull the trigger today.

I have a budget of ~700€. HDR10 is important to me. And it should have a decently working UI. 49-55.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
So I actually went into a John Lewis to look at all the tvs and look at OLED etc. They had a B7 on display with a dolby vision demo and it looked so good, and all of the oled tvs were just in another league altogether.

Probably gonna pull Yeh trigger and get a b7 tonight.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I actually went into a John Lewis to look at all the tvs and look at OLED etc. They had a B7 on display with a dolby vision demo and it looked so good, and all of the oled tvs were just in another league altogether.

Probably gonna pull Yeh trigger and get a b7 tonight.

They won't get much cheaper than that.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OLED owners, what is your experience with bias lighting? I see it regularly recommended for LED TVs, but is it also worth it with OLED TVs?

We always use our floorlamp for a dim light in the evening and it is sadly placed diagonally to the opposite of the TV. Can bias lighting be used as a suitable replacement so we don't have to sit in complete darkness? Or would that be too dark as the only light source if we want a dimly lit room?

Deleted member 35478

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Hey OLED owners, what is your experience with bias lighting? I see it regularly recommended for LED TVs, but is it also worth it with OLED TVs?

We always use our floorlamp for a dim light in the evening and it is sadly placed diagonally to the opposite of the TV. Can bias lighting be used as a suitable replacement so we don't have to sit in complete darkness? Or would that be too dark as the only light source if we want a dimly lit room?

Is the floor lamp creating an issue like glare or a reflection on the screen?

I have biad lighting on my LCD, and it gets pretty bright. The larger the display, the more light. Where my tv is, the room is never completely dark as a result of the bias lighting.
d6GHoDh.jpg

OP
OP
Bumrush

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
RedlineRonin how are you enjoying Octopath? I'm about 8-9 hours in, 6 characters collected). I have quite a few issues with the game but overall it's amazing and super refreshing.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
RedlineRonin how are you enjoying Octopath? I'm about 8-9 hours in, 6 characters collected). I have quite a few issues with the game but overall it's amazing and super refreshing.
I'm poking at it here and there. Only about 4 hours in maybe? about to get my 4th char. I like it overall. The music is really, really, really good. And the art style is obviously incredible (which i feel like i've said 1,000 times on this website). Nothing really bothering me yet, but i'm also 4 hours into prolly an 80hr plus game.

I listened to Jason Schreier's splitscreen episode on it and very much tempered my expectations...

Current setup is missing the snowman.
The exact question i was going to ask =P

Deleted member 12177

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for these impressions.

I'm in the United States, where Panasonic no longer makes TVs. I bought a C8 two weeks ago that replaced a 2006 Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma. What a great set that was. The fact I had it 12 years says it all. I was still debating whether to upgrade now or stick with it a while longer.

Assuming that this shootout would have taken place in the U.S., where the FZ802 is not available, what do you think the results would have been? Would the LG C8 have taken the awards the Panasonic did, or would the Sony AF8?

I'd take the C8. The Panasonic needs to be calibrated for it's colors to really shine and even then we're talking about decimal points.

I'm in the UK and have a 65C7. If I had to buy today, it would be the C8. The minor difference in color accuracy (if calibrated) is not worth the price premium and not having Dolby Vision. If it had DV and the price was closer, I'd likely take the Panasonic.

If you get a C8, use technicolor expert mode and set the OLED light to match your viewing conditions. You'll be pretty close in terms of accuracy with that.

CrumbSnatcher

Jan 12, 2018
Now that is some sound technical logic I can get behind.

It just seems very scattered. Thor didn't have it, or coco, or even incredibles which was a month ago or w/e and I don't believe that's a very long movie.

And I can only imagine this will get worse, not better, when they launch their platform.

Disney definitely is cheap, IMO of course. Metadata for all of there UHD releases has MaxCLL and MaxFaLL at 0. So there all just basically SDR grades with better color saturation and a higher resolution upscale. Black Panther is the only 4K intermediate, which means it's a native 4096 x 2160p source, then downscaled to UHD resolution 3840 x 2160p.

No bright highlights to be found.