• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this would fail hard in the U.K., given that the leave campaign was fought almost entirely on immigration and this would require freedom of movement unless I'm mistaken.
you're not mistaken but it didn't say that on the ballot, it just said leave. That's the problem it was just so poorly thought out now everyone is trying to decide what "leave" actually means.

we could "leave" and just be in an EEA type deal. That's leave. We could also leave and trade under WTO rules.

This is the problem nobody actually knows what to do so when we say leave it doesn't mean the same thing to people which is why Labour/SNP etc and Rees-Mogg/Boris/ERG currently find themselves on the same side of the argument against it but for very different reasons.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That is why I think Labour/SNP/LD will do a Norway model, it solves the 'still leaving' criticism, of course they will still get criticised by ukip/erg but it is the way out to say, we respected the vote to leave

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I'm disappointed with the EU, they should have been more tough on the UK, kick them out and make them pay dearly for it. fuck this.

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
The reason I can't see this being voted through parliament is because the hardcore Brexiters that peddled the whole 'close our borders' rhetoric actually don't care about closing our borders at all. I imagine they just peddled that to the UKIP voters in the hopes that we'd crash out of the EU and being open to a bunch of Neo liberal free trade deals with the rest of the world (Singapore style).

I can't wait to see how they try to reconcile with their UKIP little englander voter base why they voted down a deal that ends free movement.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed with the EU, they should have been more tough on the UK, kick them out and make them pay dearly for it. fuck this.
I don't want Brexit, but how is making 60 million people 'pay dearly' good for anyone? Leaving the EU isn't a moral wrong that's been executed, it's stupidity. Why should Brits be punished for Brexit? If it was the wrong decision then the results will speak for themselves.

Thunder

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
im not sure why the British people isn't out on the streets trying to stop this?

48% to 52% ..

We had a vote. It would be political suicide to put another vote through , May will get a no confidence vote and Boris Johnson will most likely take over the role as PM and it will be a hard Brexit. That's the reality of the situation. Labour are not even remotely fit to hold No 10 and most of their constituents voted out as well.

Oct 26, 2017
48% to 52% ..

We had a vote. It would be political suicide to put another vote through , May will get a no confidence vote and Boris Johnson will most likely take over the role as PM and it will be a hard Brexit. That's the reality of the situation. Labour are not even remotely fit to hold No 10 and most of their constituents voted out as well.

Load of shite. Majority of Labour voters voted remain.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
60% of them voted leave , wtf are you talking about .
I think it was 65% 2 or 3 percent behind the libdem's.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

vote1b.png

Tories voted 60% to Leave, which incidentally lines up pretty much perfectly with the 50-64 demographic. Funny that

Edit: Oh, wait, Constituencies. Yeah that's more in line with things:
https://fullfact.org/europe/did-maj...bour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/
Leave_remain.PNG

This is part of the frustrating problem - political power is in regional basis, rather than population.

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
48% to 52% ..

And what majority would Boris Johnson command in parliament exactly, other than his ERG friends? If his intention is to lead the country towards no deal, dozens of Tories would defect. Including his own brother.

And that's assuming he will even want to deal with utter disaster that no deal will be. He won't.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

You seem strangely vindictive about this.
In some sense, even this WA will have negative consequences for the UK. Yes, it's no Scorched Earth, burn all bridges thing, but the EU wants to do some minimal trade with the UK too, and minimizing the fallout of Brexit (as far as possible) is also in the natural self interest of the EU. You look at this thing far too emotionally.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there ever was a time for political grandstanding..
Corbyn chickened out. Call a general election and make brexit the sticking point.
The deal's dead in parliament anyway.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
im not sure why the British people isn't out on the streets trying to stop this?
There was the biggest demonstration since the Iraq war but "The Will of the people" only applies if the people do what she wants.

Hence the call for people in Brexit areas to pressure their MP.

She knows the majority of people oppose her deal. She has a flimsy mandate that she personally destroyed the foundations of in 2017 yet she acts like she commands the majority of people despite this.

To be fair, it's kinda either this, or resigning in disgrace. She's starting down the barrell of an impossible mission and she's going to go down with the ship.

If it wasn't so damaging to the country, I'd admire her stubborn determination but frankly she's doing more harm thsn good. The problem is that the Tories on the hard right want to replace her with someone who will do worse.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I have to say I still can't believe she wanted the job. It was only ever a poison chalice and after seeing Gove and Boris fuck off into the sunset alarm bells should surely have been ringing.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you talking about constituencies when referring to a referendum result? The 2016 Brexit referendum was based on popular vote. 65% of labour voters voted to remain, that's the pertinent fact.
Because that's May's tactics here.

The Remain vote was concentrated in London, the North West, Scotland etc especiallly.

The Labour areas in the North East overwhelmingly voted Brexit. There's many constituencies who voted Brexit who have Labour MPs.

The tactic is that Labour voters would punish their MPs if they didn't carry out "The Will of the People" by voting May's deal through.

Let's ignore that many of these MPs opposed Brexit anyway and got their seats back in 2017 eh May? Polling has shown that many Labour voters have become more pragmatic since the election and would back Corbyn over May to negotiate a different deal anyway.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A sad day today. :(
Now I am curious to see if the UK parliament will accept the deal or not. I've heard there could be a majority against it. But if they indeed vote against it the UK will crash out of the EU without any deal. I'm sure most don't want to see that happen even less, so they'll probably vote for the deal in the end after all?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
A sad day today. :(
Now I am curious to see if the UK parliament will accept the deal or not. I've heard there could be a majority against it. But if they indeed vote against it the UK will crash out of the EU without any deal. I'm sure most don't want to see that happen even less, so they'll probably vote for the deal in the end after all?
There's still potentially scope for extending the article 50 period.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's still potentially scope for extending the article 50 period.

You mean for more time to renegotiate with the EU? I don't think that is going to happen. The EU already stated there will be no renegotiations. The current deal is the best they will offer May. It would be extremely unwise of them to make more concessions afterwards.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
You mean for more time to renegotiate with the EU? I don't think that is going to happen. The EU already stated there will be no renegotiations. The current deal is the best they will offer May. It would be extremely unwise of them to make more concessions afterwards.

If the UK moves back then they will make time, the DUP making noises today that they are open to a Norway style deal for example

Deleted member 33082

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If the UK moves back then they will make time, the DUP making noises today that they are open to a Norway style deal for example
None of that matters, the future relationship hasn't even started being negotiated yet - whatever type of relationship the UK wants in the future, it will ahve to withdraw from the EU first. And this is the withdrawal agreement, there is nothing else.
Either this agreement and then negotiate on the future relationship, stay in or crash out.

The EU probably will probably make time in case a new referendum or a new GE are announced though. (because the former might lead to remain, and the latter to a new parliament that might approve the withdrawal deal)

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If the deal is voted down in parliament, the UK remaining in the EU becomes far more feasible. The EU might be willing to extend the period for negotiation (and probably charge £10b for the privalidge) especially if a new referendum is on the cards.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
None of that matters, the future relationship hasn't even started being negotiated yet - whatever type of relationship the UK wants in the future, it will ahve to withdraw from the EU first. And this is the withdrawal agreement, there is nothing else.
Either this agreement and then negotiate on the future relationship, stay in or crash out.

The EU probably will probably make time in case a new referendum or a new GE are announced though. (because the former might lead to remain, and the latter to a new parliament that might approve the withdrawal deal)

I might be wrong but I think they would extend article 50 for a smoother less damaging move to an EEA type arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.