Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Since it shouldn't really affect too many people who are already following the guidelines*, I'd rather they just go straight into it.

Announcing it too far ahead would just lead to even more panic buying.

*under the presumption that we'd still be able to travel to shops/go out for walks, but they'd crack down on morons congregating or flouting the advice.

As long as you're not exhibiting symptoms, then absolutely no problem with that. The briefing today mentioned how getting outside (responsibly) would help mental health.

Even my brief walk today helped me.
The beach is practically on my doorstep, but chose against it as I knew it would be busy today, Sundays always are and the sun was shining. I did go for a nice walk in the woods though, it was good for my little boy. Unless you have symptoms and keep away from others I'd say go for it.

Yeah I went out for a brief walk today up the country lanes near me, just weary of the travel thing I guess. Shouldn't be too busy Tuesday so long as chaos hasn't ensued from a lockdown before then!

Also jealous of you having the beach at your doorstep, I moved away from North Devon to Mid Devon, and I miss it so much. Especially now.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
I don't feel like sleep is coming any time soon. Heading out to the school tomorrow goes against all my instincts even if I know I will (probably) be safe and possibly even be home again by lunch time.

Also enraptured by everyone's stories on 5 Live. I can't turn the radio off any more.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
It's frustrating as we can't tell her not to come back but managing a shared kitchen timetable with 4 locked down people is difficult enough, and she usually spends 2-3 hours cooking dinner at night :\

The guidance is very clear, that if she came back and into that household she would have to self isolate for 14 days. So, you absolutely can tell her not to come back (unless she wants to lockdown herself) and if she's not Ok with that then just lock her out? As someone training to be a nurse she ought to be a bit smarter tbh.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The guidance is very clear, that if she came back and into that household she would have to self isolate for 14 days. So, you absolutely can tell her not to come back (unless she wants to lockdown herself) and if she's not Ok with that then just lock her out? As someone training to be a nurse she ought to be a bit smarter tbh.

Thankfully she agreed after we sent her a bunch of govt. guidelines.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently halfway through a two week holiday (should have been in Florida but cancelled after Disney closed) I've been home during that time. My worry is that my job is retail and unlikely to close unless everything gets locked down. I live with my folks one of whom is at risk and if push comes to shove I'm going to have to quit because I'm not putting them at risk for my job.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild times when takeaway isn't even on the cards.

Sad thing is, I think people are just going to riot and smash shit up eventually.
Yeah, halfwits around the nation are simply incapable of withholding their impulses because they dont acknowledging the science. Im expecting things to descend quickly after another week.

OP
OP

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
As I head out the door, I just want to wish everyone else working today a good day, or at least a reasonably safe one.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was more guidance and clarity on school openings. Genuinely don't know if I'm supposed to go to work today.

Oct 25, 2017

I think those in the thread saying a midweek shutdown are on the ball.

Once the bill goes thru, and I reckon they will have to speed it through on Tuesday rather then Wed, the road is clear for the shutdown, if Bojo doesn't, then he will.be forced to.

I think the legion of absolute twats today going out and about pushed those who didn't want a lockdown so soon over the edge.

Anyone know what the science against a lockdown is? Every expert seems unified in telling people to stay the fuck at home and only go out to exercise in their own neighbourhood. Wondering what the tension is between that and the lockdown model.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Woth this reduced service bs the tube was actually more packed than usual, not to mention it took me 1/2 an hour longer to get to work.

Great going dumbfucks.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone know what the science against a lockdown is? Every expert seems unified in telling people to stay the fuck at home and only go out to exercise in their own neighbourhood. Wondering what the tension is between that and the lockdown model.
Looking through the links in threadmarks, I suspect it's a behavioural model clashing with a medical one- as in 'put off severe lockdown as long as possible to avoid panic and let people get used to it'. No wonder that's in conflict with actual medical advice about contagion and overloading the NHS that is predicting ICU capacity full by the end of March. It makes little sense to me at this point. People have been told the risks, they are just ignoring them due to some sense of British exceptionalism.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild times when takeaway isn't even on the cards.

Sad thing is, I think people are just going to riot and smash shit up eventually.
Don't know where you all are, so maybe it's anecdotal, but I've never seen so many police — vans not cars — on the streets. They must know social disorder is on the horizon if they don't clamp down first.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
All last week my morning train into work has been deserted. With the reduced timetable today it's mobbed again.

First day of mandatory temp checks to get into my work today.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Managed to have a successful Tesco shop this morning. Managed to get a 9 pack of Andrex, some hand soap and some chicken. Weird when it feels that you have hit the jackpot because you can buy what, a mere 3 weeks ago, was a regular household thing.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Managed to have a successful Tesco shop this morning. Managed to get a 9 pack of Andrex, some hand soap and some chicken. Weird when it feels that you have hit the jackpot because you can buy what, a mere 3 weeks ago, was a regular household thing.

I had that feeling yesterday when I managed to grab milk and bread. Hoping I can get something at the end of the month when I'm actually getting my month's food.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I had that feeling yesterday when I managed to grab milk and bread. Hoping I can get something at the end of the month when I'm actually getting my month's food.
Milk and bread doesn't seem to be an issue up here in Dundee. Never struggled for either of those things.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
I actually managed to get a delivery slot last night for today - I'd check the supermarkets online regularly cos I had checked them an hour earlier and they had nothing. They must be getting more staff/redirecting staff and getting more slots. I think it'll be ok. (fingers crossed I get the stuff I ordered)

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I've probably left the house for a walk or a run for every day within recent memory. Even I'm feeling committed to the lockdown vibe. I guess I can walk around the garden a few hundred times.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know where you all are, so maybe it's anecdotal, but I've never seen so many police — vans not cars — on the streets. They must know social disorder is on the horizon if they don't clamp down first.
In places like Honolulu that concern feels real. The cost of living here is insane and with the shelter order people can't work anymore.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, So they've basically just re-nationalised the railways for at least 6 months. Government will cover all risk and revenue from the franchises, also all season tickets will be refunded to those who want.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, nice, on way to Tesco now, i hope i get as lucky!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
As a balding guy who's cut his own hair for a year, and worked from home full-time for a decade, I suddenly feel like I have super powers.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Managed to borrow a laptop for this week so joining most of the rest of my team in working from home. Under normal circumstances I'd rather be in the office but right now... happy to be at home.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Support worker here. Folk must be self isolating a lot in rural Scotland as I've been asked to do extra 24 hour shifts this week on top of my existing rota. Don't really want to as I've got asthma and other health issues myself but folk need looked after.

As a balding guy who's cut his own hair for a year, and worked from home full-time for a decade, I suddenly feel like I have super powers.

I feel that haha. I've had 2 people ask to borrow my set of clippers already!

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly feel these temps supermarkets have employed aren't going to be actually needed now. Stock availability seems to be decent now with less people about too.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sensitive tweet for anyone who is in a dangerous place mentally but thought this warning needing shared from Spain

twitter.com

Michael Welling on Twitter

“#Spain "Doctors in #España🇪🇸 with tears in their eyes tell how people over 65 must have their respirators removed to give it to the younger people suffering . Seniors are sedated so they don't suffer. " #CoronavirusPandemic #CoronaVirusUpdates https://t.co/rClbMGD353”

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Was supposed to be my grandads funeral today but it was of course cancelled. Now my father and his brother will be alone for the cremation.... A ceremony/wake to be held at a later date.

What a time we fucking live in

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Don't know how many kids we've got but hope I'll be WFH soon. Absolute ghost town driving to school, usually traffics a beast. Really creepy.
Was supposed to be my grandads funeral today but it was of course cancelled. Now my father and his brother will be alone for the cremation.... A ceremony/wake to be held at a later date.

What a time we fucking live in
My condolences. Those situations are difficult at the best of times, so I can't imagine how upsetting that must be.

Oct 31, 2017

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Laura Kuenssberg on Twitter

“Govt considering next steps like closing non-essential retail or whether to start treating people flouting the stay at home advice as acting against the law - all being discussed - huge decisions, nothing final”

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
twitter.com

Laura Kuenssberg on Twitter

“Govt considering next steps like closing non-essential retail or whether to start treating people flouting the stay at home advice as acting against the law - all being discussed - huge decisions, nothing final”
I can't believe I'm writing this sentence, but Boris needs to wake up and realise that "not wanting the UK to become a police state" is pointless thinking today. It's going to happen one way or another: either prescriptive and semi-controlled, or as a response to death, destruction and lawlessness. I know which one I'd pick.