Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
None of our pavements are fit for purpose! I'd have to walk in the road (or cross the road) to stay 2 metres away from all of these old people.

I'm still going out for evening walks and it's got a lot emptier where I am but I'm basically crossing the road to avoid people every couple of minutes at this point. Adds in extra steps, I guess? I'm awkward enough to try to smile at them to defuse them thinking I'm being rude :D

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I can't believe I'm writing this sentence, but Boris needs to wake up and realise that "not wanting the UK to become a police state" is pointless thinking today. It's going to happen one way or another: either prescriptive and semi-controlled, or as a response to death, destruction and lawlessness. I know which one I'd pick.
I agree. It's incredibly fucked up, but we need to do it, and then pry the power away from these chinless fucks when the virus is dealt with.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Better try and get my anxiety meds refilled before a lockdown hits. My doctor's surgery has announced they're not letting anyone through the door without an appointment, so that should be fun.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
ffs, just saw a tweet showing how rammed some trains are still

twitter.com

John Cusick on Twitter

“Please explain @c2c_Rail how cutting all the rail services into London a Covid hot bed. Is a a good idea. Explain how this helps #SocialDistancing as @BorisJohnson asked. Explain how last week trains were empty and safe. How many people have have killed today @c2c_Rail ?”

Look at this!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Today's, example of a first world problem post here.....

Once we go into lockdown I presume supply chain for non essentials will cease?

Ordered a new MacBook so my son can do his schoolwork as we only have my work computer at home, assume things like that stop?

Mar 29, 2018
Looking through the links in threadmarks, I suspect it's a behavioural model clashing with a medical one- as in 'put off severe lockdown as long as possible to avoid panic and let people get used to it'. No wonder that's in conflict with actual medical advice about contagion and overloading the NHS that is predicting ICU capacity full by the end of March. It makes little sense to me at this point. People have been told the risks, they are just ignoring them due to some sense of British exceptionalism.
Yeah, this is the only thing which makes sense and it fits with their strategy over the last couple of weeks. When they got the Imperial College report, they clearly KNEW that immediate lockdown was the way forward, but also KNEW that the British public is one ruled by pride and hubris and that telling people to stay indoors 100% would probably result in chaos. So they decided to gradually ramp it up. Which makes some sort of sense.

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Ordered a new MacBook so my son can do his schoolwork as we only have my work computer at home, assume things like that stop?
People will still go to work during a lockdown so presumably we will still be able to get deliveries.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this guy is an awful person? I haven't looked into it but heard it from numerous folk. Incredibly enterprising doing home PE lessons though. It's a great idea.

I've always loathed him, but I'll be honest - I can't guarantee that this isn't because we are the same age, but he is exponentially more wealthy, healthy and better looking.

Fair cop for doing this though. My 6 year old loved it. The 13 y/o was less enthusiastic but she gave it a go at least.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that if we do for a more stringent lockdown, then they also enforce the closure of non-essential workplaces etc.

Problem is that even with a more enforced lockdown, everyone will still view their job as 'essential', because management view it as such.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
So I went for a walk in the Peak district yesterday. Heaving. Wasn't at one of the major spots but there were loads of people about. I managed to keep my distance from most people but it felt like the majority were not trying to keep their distance.

I also saw numerous mixed groups. Multiple families walking together and one rambling group of old timers, a group bouldering, as well flipping loads of cyclists. I also went past one pub that still seemed to be open, with cyclists milling about the doorway.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I wanted to order groceries from asda website , like usual. Every slot is booked for a whole month . Had to go on foot , surprisingly shelves are full for the most part . I live in Bridgewater btw, the town is small so maybe thats why . I myself for in Morrisons warehouse and theres no chance of shuting that thing down

Oct 27, 2017

twitter.com

John Cusick on Twitter

“Please explain @c2c_Rail how cutting all the rail services into London a Covid hot bed. Is a a good idea. Explain how this helps #SocialDistancing as @BorisJohnson asked. Explain how last week trains were empty and safe. How many people have have killed today @c2c_Rail ?”

Look at this!
This is partly a result of services being cut leading to more people being packed on carriages.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London

Supply chains for non-essentials won't stop - as is a lot of it is being automated as part of digital transformation (not in a way to take people's jobs but to improve times). They'll continue but it will be slower and stocks will take longer to replenish but places have large amounts of stock and it's moving from one distribution centre to another. Don't expect customised things to come in with ease but standard products will be fine and won't be running out.

Freight and logistics companies as well as delivery services will prioritise essentials so delivery times can be longer than anticipated but it doesn't mean the product doesn't exist.

For supply chains to essentially stop they need to not have inventory, manufacturing needs to have stopped for longer, and the health priorities have changed so much that only essential deliveries will take place. We aren't in that state as yet and it will be a while to get there because when that state hits you'll be feeling the impact on the economy a lot more than right now. And what most countries are trying to do is prevent that state. Yes things aren't great, people are dying, and the markets are crashing but it is still where things are slow, stagnating, declining but not in a state where it's not recoverable and things will go completely pear shaped.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London

twitter.com

John Cusick on Twitter

Look at this!

They just need to enforce mandatory work from home for all non-essential businesses (if it's possible). Trains need to keep running on minimal services for essential workers (unless there's other means for them to get where they need to get to - there isn't) but businesses now need to start enforcing compliance in that you should be WFH outside of essential services. Once that's done then it stops. The guy posting that himself is a digital marketer, that is a role in itself that can be done remotely - he himself doesn't need to commute to the city to work if that is indeed why he's going in. Unless of course he's reposting other's pictures.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
but the supermarkets will not be closing, you will still be able to go there on lockdown

I think you're missing the point of the word "panic" in "panic buying".

The reality of the situation is not especially relevant.

So I wanted to order groceries from asda website , like usual. Every slot is booked for a whole month . Had to go on foot , surprisingly shelves are full for the most part . I live in Bridgewater btw, the town is small so maybe thats why . I myself for in Morrisons warehouse and theres no chance of shuting that thing down

I'm in a sizeable town in Cheshire.

All the delivery and click-and-collect slots, which are usually available next day, had been booked out well into next month since last week here. They are now completely unavailable.

I've tried shopping early morning, late night, middle of the day. Doesn't matter. Bread is gone, fresh meat is gone, milk is gone, tissues are gone. Every store is ransacked of essentials. It's madness.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
but the supermarkets will not be closing, you will still be able to go there on lockdown
Doesn't matter for some. At work, a colleague keeps spouting the same: "better go shopping now and stock up, they will close them soon" when everybody is telling him that this is false and he should cut it. He keeps repeating it.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you're missing the point of the word "panic" in "panic buying".

The reality of the situation is not especially relevant.

I'm in a sizeable town in Cheshire.

All the delivery and click-and-collect slots, which are usually available next day, had been booked out well into next month since last week here. They are now completely unavailable.

I've tried shopping early morning, late night, middle of the day. Doesn't matter. Bread is gone, fresh meat is gone, milk is gone, tissues are gone. Every store is ransacked of essentials. It's madness.
I understand people stocking up for some stuff., But bread, milk, fresh meat these things wont last as long , Thats unfortunate .

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Just when you think the general public cannot stoop any lower:

people are forging NHS cards to get the free/ reduced items offered by companies

scum

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Couldn't bear it staying indoors so I decided to go to the park for a walk (as is advised and acceptable) on Sunday afternoon. The parks were so crowded that I decided to continue driving as far away as I could to a random field/hill just to go for a walk. Not a single person there aside from one other person walking their dog who was miles away. Mentally it helped a lot as I was able to enjoy the sunshine and calm myself down. Honestly, it helped so much to get an hour away from the hysteria and just get some peace and quiet. So glad Scotland has these open space areas in the outskirts of the city.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Bread and milk can be frozen, and I imagine those hoarding have nice big freezers.
I'm not a hoarder (I don't think) but we have a freezer in the kitchen and another in the garage, and we've always bought extra milk and bread and frozen them both. If you're using bread for toast - which most people are - there's no reason NOT to freeze it. You can just take out a slice at once and toast it from frozen.

Defrosted milk isn't great, to be honest: it separates out and needs seriously vigorous shaking to re-mix. It's still better than UHT though.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Got into work today and was given a letter and a "Critical Worker" pass. Apparently I am to be given priority access for shopping, fuel and anything else I deem necessary by waving it at places I go. Going to be interesting to see how this works out when I go to Tesco later lol

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I Don't like Piers but this is how you hold the government to account, I wish more journalists would do this in the interviews.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm not planning to go shopping again until the end of the week, but it'll be interesting to see how the stock at my local supermarket(s) compare to how they were last Wednesday/Thursday.

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
Update for the BT folks. My girlfriend has a wee bit of a cough as of the weekend, she phoned up 111 this morning about it because she's a wee bit paranoid (justifiably) being pregnant and they basically told her to self isolate which in turn locks down this whole house. Her cough doesn't appear super harsh or aggressive but it does seem persistant and she has no fever. But i phoned my work about it and they say i have to phone them everyday with updates about it and if i get whatever she's got that i go back 7 days after that point which could mean less the 14 days. This doesn't seem right does it? The sick note that the nhs website says to fill out specifically advises isolation for 14 days.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Update for the BT folks. My girlfriend has a wee bit of a cough as of the weekend, she phoned up 111 this morning about it because she's a wee bit paranoid (justifiably) being pregnant and they basically told her to self isolate which in turn locks down this whole house. Her cough doesn't appear super harsh or aggressive but it does seem persistant and she has no fever. But i phoned my work about it and they say i have to phone them everyday with updates about it and if i get whatever she's got that i go back 7 days after that point which could mean less the 14 days. This doesn't seem right does it? The sick note that the nhs website says to fill out specifically advises isolation for 14 days.
Just don't tell them you have a cough until 7 days into the isolation?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMG_20200323_112034.jpg

Slair

Oct 27, 2017
Just don't tell them you have a cough until 7 days into the isolation?

That would be my plan, but if i have to phone them daily and if they notice i'm coughing 3 days in, they can't start a 7 day timer and force me to come back early against the nhs guidelines though, right?

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
People will still go to work during a lockdown so presumably we will still be able to get deliveries.

If there's anything you need urgently, though, I'd consider getting it earlier rather than later. Just ordered a mesh router so that we can actually get internet in the parts of the house where the kids are home schooling.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
If there's anything you need urgently, though, I'd consider getting it earlier rather than later. Just ordered a mesh router so that we can actually get internet in the parts of the house where the kids are home schooling.

I'd echo this. Delivery companies are already prioritising NHS goods, so it may be that at some point they're actively restricted to them.