• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Lovely as it is to hear about and see how many people are sensibly following Government advice to wear masks, it does rather rubbish the reliance on the 'common sense' of the public to do the right thing without being told Boris was rambling on about in one of his vaguely lucid interviews.

I guess it might have been sarcasm. He seems the sort.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently so:

@lewis_goodall

BREAKING: We have a new contender for the "you couldn't write this stuff" stakes Transport Sec Grant Shapps is on holiday in Spain. He will, therefore, have to quarantine for 14 days when he gets home.
9:24 PM · Jul 25, 2020

I wonder if this will end up as another example of these rules not applying to those who are responsible for running the country. Chances he's gonna be spotted out within two weeks?

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this will end up as another example of these rules not applying to those who are responsible for running the country. Chances he's gonna be spotted out within two weeks?
I work in the civil service, and for my sector even though there's basically no travelling happening at the moment, if I were to I'm told I would be exempt from quarantine. I imagine this will apply to anyone in the government.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
That definitely sounds like the kind of fucked up shit police would do.
Plain Clothes police are nothing new.

And honestly, what's the problem here? Oh no, the police might actually enforce mask wearing rules by catching people out who would otherwise only wear a mask when they think they might get caught?

"Fucking police, enforcing a law that legitimately protects vulnerable people" is a pretty weird hill to die on but you do you.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Plain Clothes police are nothing new.

And honestly, what's the problem here? Oh no, the police might actually enforce mask wearing rules by catching people out who would otherwise only wear a mask when they think they might get caught?

"Fucking police, enforcing a law that legitimately protects vulnerable people" is a pretty weird hill to die on but you do you.
Plain clothes cops have never been a good thing imo. Having a police in uniform presence would serve the same purpose without trying to enforce it through fear of "god what if someone in here is secretly a cop."

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Plain clothes cops have never been a good thing imo. Having a police in uniform presence would serve the same purpose without trying to enforce it through fear of "god what if someone in here is secretly a cop."
Right now I'd much rather the people choosing not to wear masks on public transport or in shops get caught out and slapped with a fine. Fuck those selfish cunts.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my diagnosis back and I've tested positive for Coronavirus.

I'm both angry and scared, I haven't displayed any symptoms and have been trying my hardest to social distance and wear a mask and still I get it. I suppose I was wise to test when I did as I was just curious to see how the test actually worked.

Earlier in the thread I asked for recommendations as to what equipment I might need to monitor my condition and I have the following:

- Thermometer
- Blood Pressure Reader
- Pulse Oximeter (To check how blood oxygen is moving)

Is there anything else I might reasonably need to see how I'm getting on? I've been taking Vitamin D and Zinc tablets as well so I'll keep those up.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I've got my diagnosis back and I've tested positive for Coronavirus.

I'm both angry and scared, I haven't displayed any symptoms and have been trying my hardest to social distance and wear a mask and still I get it. I suppose I was wise to test when I did as I was just curious to see how the test actually worked.

Earlier in the thread I asked for recommendations as to what equipment I might need to monitor my condition and I have the following:

- Thermometer
- Blood Pressure Reader
- Pulse Oximeter (To check how blood oxygen is moving)

Is there anything else I might reasonably need to see how I'm getting on? I've been taking Vitamin D and Zinc tablets as well so I'll keep those up.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. Any idea how long you've had it? Hopefully it'll be out of your system soon.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I wouldn't bother with any of that if it was me. You seem like you might be an anxious person? Taking constant reads of that might just increase your stress, especially when there's nothing you can to do cure it. Your body will let you know if it starts to get worse and you need to seek further help.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Ah man, sorry to hear that. Any idea how long you've had it? Hopefully it'll be out of your system soon.

Weird thing is I don't know, I tested on Friday but I've got no symptoms. That could very well change over the next week but the only time when I could have possibly been close to people to get it was when I was walking and a cyclist passed me on the footpath without warning me.

I still have my sense of smell and taste and temperature seems fine.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Weird thing is I don't know, I tested on Friday but I've got no symptoms. That could very well change over the next week but the only time when I could have possibly been close to people to get it was when I was walking and a cyclist passed me on the footpath without warning me.

I still have my sense of smell and taste and temperature seems fine.

Could it be a false positive?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Could it be a false positive?

I'd rather not get my hopes up, I could be a super-spreader if the condition doesn't change. If by next Friday things are the same as they are right now it could be promising but I'm aware that on days 10 to 14 it could potentially get really bad.

Eh, I wouldn't bother with any of that if it was me. You seem like you might be an anxious person? Taking constant reads of that might just increase your stress, especially when there's nothing you can to do cure it. Your body will let you know if it starts to get worse and you need to seek further help.

I actually have been diagnosed with anxiety! I find it helps to be prepared however as the times when I get comfortable and then it turns out I'm barely prepared for anything is when stuff kicks me in the balls. I guess I don't like the idea of being in a powerless position so I'll do what I can to get some measure of control.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Ah yes, instances that are 100% comporable to "On-duty Police officer sits on a bus just not wearing a uniform in order to protect people from a highly contagious and potentially fatal illness"

I meant only to show what undercover police actually do in general. They definitely do not take completely random bus journeys, especially in the Tory decimated policing levels this country has.

Uniformed police were nowhere to be seen when enforcing lockdown here so its pure fantasy to dream up secret police on public transport.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm both angry and scared, I haven't displayed any symptoms and have been trying my hardest to social distance and wear a mask and still I get it.

Worth pointing out (again) that wearing the sort of mask most people are using won't protect you much, if at all, from catching it. Probably means you haven't passed it on to a whole load of other people, though.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
Worth pointing out (again) that wearing the sort of mask most people are using won't protect you much, if at all, from catching it. Probably means you haven't passed it on to a whole load of other people, though.

Makes it crazy to me that so few shop staff wear them, especially when they're out on the shop floors stocking shelves while people try to squeeze by them. I just take that as their bosses not caring about anyones health beyond efficiency and profits though

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I meant only to show what undercover police actually do in general. They definitely do not take completely random bus journeys, especially in the Tory decimated policing levels this country has.

Uniformed police were nowhere to be seen when enforcing lockdown here so its pure fantasy to dream up secret police on public transport.
Plain Clothes police are not the same as Undercover police.
Plain Clothes police are just doing the exact same as usual, but not in a uniform.

Undercover police are actively attempting to infiltrate a group for some purpose and will be solely focused on that. If they saw some other form of lawbreaking that would normally require intervention they would actively ignore it as part of the assignment.

Makes it crazy to me that so few shop staff wear them, especially when they're out on the shop floors stocking shelves while people try to squeeze by them. I just take that as their bosses not caring about anyones health beyond efficiency and profits though
I don't think those staff are being stopped from wearing masks if they choose to though. I've been in some supermarkets were some staff are wearing masks and some aren't, it seems to have been left to the choice of the individual staff members, so I don't think you can chalk that particular one up to "their bosses not caring about anyone's health beyond efficiency and profits".

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
These people coming back from Spain better fucking be checked up on. I know they can't check in on them all due to the sheer numbers that pissed off to Spain the minute the light turned green for go (just bonkers), but there better be an official statement showing a big percentage were checked up on after their return and fines handed out if any were caught being wankers.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I know you mean well and just trying to help them feel better but this is imo very bad advice. Temascos A person who knows they have covid-19 should absolutely be checking their SpO2 regularly - one very dangerous thing this virus does in some cases is deplete your capability for the blood to carry oxygen, without the normal feedback of "your body letting you know something is wrong". People out there feeling perfectly fine but they have an SpO2 of 60%! Monitor your blood oxygen level and if it drops from the normal range of 95%+ seek immediate oxygen treatment.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
A person who knows they have covid-19 should absolutely be checking their SpO2 regularly - one very dangerous thing this virus does in some cases is deplete your capability for the blood to carry oxygen, without the normal feedback of "your body letting you know something is wrong". People out there feeling perfectly fine but they have an SpO2 of 60%! Monitor your blood oxygen level and if it drops from the normal range of 95%+ seek immediate oxygen treatment.

Thankfully I've got one of those so I can keep track. I've noticed that when I first start it it's at 94% but then it goes up and stays at the 95-97% range. Is that just the reader just detecting everything or should I go just in case?

Thanks for the support during this! :)

EDIT - While I'm at it, since I'm positive but don't have any symptoms as of yet I think I might try to volunteer for early treatment research. My google-fu is failing me however and I'm getting a lot of puff pieces. Are there any promising tests being conducted in London?

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
It is no wonder Spain is on the list as they had over 2000 new cases recorded on Friday. No data from yesterday? I'm presuming that is not a good sign. Either way, you are mad to be booking a foreign holiday this year with any kind of certainty that it will actually be happening.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I have zero sympathy for those that booked a holiday during a fucking pademic however I do feel sorry for those who booked something last year before it all kicked off.

We were warned that the air bridges could change very quickly.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT - While I'm at it, since I'm positive but don't have any symptoms as of yet I think I might try to volunteer for early treatment research. My google-fu is failing me however and I'm getting a lot of puff pieces. Are there any promising tests being conducted in London?
Out of interest, if you don't have any symptoms what prompted you to take a test? Was it just curiosity?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Out of interest, if you don't have any symptoms what prompted you to take a test? Was it just curiosity?

Yeah it was actually! I was in close contact when I was out walking back on Monday and there was a barrage of people who I literally couldn't avoid, and a week prior (So still within 14 days) my brother let in someone to work on our bathroom without a mask.

I was really surprised as I expected it to turn up negative as I don't have anything like loss of taste, coughing or high temperature (Except when I'm in bed but I get warm really easily and the new mattress topper makes my back a lot warmer).

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I have zero sympathy for those that booked a holiday during a fucking pademic however I do feel sorry for those who booked something last year before it all kicked off.

Agreed. Though I booked a flight to Florida in January for this September and I have no plans to go whatsoever. You can still make on-the-fly decisions even when you book in advance.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to lie I was tempted to book something up for cheap. My logic was if I could get infected here I could get infected there. Then I found out you can get travel insurance... for everything but COVID related illness. No way man. Far too risky.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
Thankfully I've got one of those so I can keep track. I've noticed that when I first start it it's at 94% but then it goes up and stays at the 95-97% range. Is that just the reader just detecting everything or should I go just in case?

Thanks for the support during this! :)

Those readings are fine, I wouldn't worry about them. If it's consistently significantly below 94% then you need to be more cautious and consider going to the hospital. Also bear in mind things like poor circulation can affect the reading on those devices, I don't know if you can get the ear clip version of the pulse oximeters online

Agreed, I've been reading about a lot of holidaymakers and even Labour giving the government flack for imposing the quarantine rules without notice, but for once I agree with the government's handling. There is a second wave happening in Spain now, this is no time for another pointless delay to the rules, risking everyone coming back en masse with no quarantine and causing a second wave here. Unless if they've been hiding under a rock, the holidaymakers should have known that the air bridge agreements can be changed at a moment's notice but they decided to take the risk anyway and whine when it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Last edited:

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Went to london yesterday for a friends birthday at his house

Took the tube and overground and train to london bridge and throughout london. Thankfully everyone had a mask and the trains were completely empty. Very eery for a London on a saturday. They were alos handing out masks at most areas and they werent letting people on who didnt have masks.

Even around tesco and lidl everyone had masks

Although one man started shouting and causing a scene when he came up to the counter without a mask somehow. Kept shouting and screaming that it was just a 'wuick trip' and didnt want to wear a mask. The staff then just asked him to hurry up so they could get him out.

Silly twat then didnt have enough money to pay for his food and didnt have his card.

Some people man.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone been to a cinema yet?

I wasn't really fussed on going but then the Showcase in Bristol is doing cheap tickets and showing The Lord of The Rings which I've never seen on a big screen. Seems as though cinemas in Wales aren't opening any time soon as they can't sell food.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Was this in a WhatsApp group?
Posting shit like that without a verified article link shouldn't be allowed IMO

The amount of unverified stuff we've had causing panic in here over the last 4 months...

I wasn't really fussed on going but then the Showcase in Bristol is doing cheap tickets and showing The Lord of The Rings which I've never seen on a big screen. Seems as though cinemas in Wales aren't opening any time soon as they can't sell food.
Yeah I might check the times and go see LotR to be honest.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017

Cineworld isn't open yet but I'll probably go next week when it does. We have unlimited cards and the payments have been frozen but they'll be starting up again once they open so might as well give it a try.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't seem to find what Cineworld are showing at all in August when I looked in-week. It's hard to tell what value Unlimited is, unless you have a good idea what they are doing in-between the reduced new releases.

The way I see it is I need to see 2 films a month to make it worthwhile and if that doesn't seem possible I'll ask for a further freeze.

ps3ud0 8)

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
£5 to go and see Lord of the Rings? Yeah I've booked in. I'm kind of excited, which is silly because I could basically do a one man show recreation of that film.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I got tickets last year to see Fellowship with a live orchestra this October. Don't think that's going to happen any more.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My gym has a live capacity tracker, and apparently they're only hovering around 20-25% capacity today. Think I'll go in later on.