FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except even if the police had "allowed" the vigil, they'd still have violently arrested women at said vigil. The police don't give a shit about the law.

That's a dumb statement. If the vigils had been legally sanctioned, the police would have stood by and watched as they have done many times before at many protests/marches/vigils. The difference here is that it was explicitly not allowed, and no overriding power to allow them was provided by government. Ergo it's the polices job to stop it.

Obviously the vigil attenders aren't going to walk off and break themselves up because they feel strongly enough about the cause to be there. The police have to do their job. The police aren't in a position here to just decide not to enforce the current laws. Someone higher up the chain should have provided some other guidance, especially considering the Met had mentioned prior multiple times that they would be forced to break up gatherings in regards to this. What's Bojo upto? He could have provided some actual guidance here if he wanted too. It's not like all these facts weren't known.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
That's a dumb statement. If the vigils had been legally sanctioned, the police would have stood by and watched as they have done many times before at many protests/marches/vigils. The difference here is that it was explicitly not allowed, and no overriding power to allow them was provided by government. Ergo it's the polices job to stop it.

Obviously the vigil attenders aren't going to walk off and break themselves up because they feel strongly enough about the cause to be there. The police have to do their job. The police aren't in a position here to just decide not to enforce the current laws. Someone higher up the chain should have provided some other guidance, especially considering the Met had mentioned prior multiple times that they would be forced to break up gatherings in regards to this. What's Bojo upto? He could have provided some actual guidance here if he wanted too. It's not like all these facts weren't known.

I have no words. Anyone else want to address this absolute bollocks?

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I have no words. Anyone else want to address this absolute bollocks?
I'll give it a shot:

Fuck right off with this bullshit. It takes a minute, just minute, to see that over the past 12 months, that police, just like the government, didn't do much when it came to enforcing coronavirus laws. And now all of a sudden they're doing their job and they're not to be blamed for using violence against women who were there to mourn what happened to Everard. The same police that did fuck all with the EDL is now allowed to use violence? They're just doing their job right. The Met is corrupt through and through, but go ahead and defend.

ACAB

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah you're absolutely right. Remember when the police violently arrested and detained all those Rangers fans in Glasgow last week.

Ah fuck give me a minute there's bound to be one somewhere.

Nah they were just in my internet history let me find it.

Fuck! This is really embarrassing. Can you help me out here.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017

I have never seen the met doing anything about the day to day covid breaking that happens all over London: just take a walk around London fields and let me know how that goes.

They had a choice to make, they made the wrong one on so many level, even more so because the killer *appears to be* one of their fucking own, and now they are trying to paint it as "we were saving people from being infected!" which is just damage control.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I have never seen the met doing anything about the day to day covid breaking that happens all over London: just take a walk around London fields and let me know how that goes.

They had a choice to make, they made the wrong one on so many level, even more so because the killer *appears to be* one of their fucking own, and now they are trying to paint it as "we were saving people from being infected!" which is just damage control.

Especially given studies have shown that outdoor events of this nature don't lead to a spike in cases.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
TIL that Priti Patel is a woman. Shamefully fascinating that she seems to care so little about her fellow women. She's of foreign decent as well? And is leading the charge on UK fascism? What?

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
abstaining = not supporting though
Sure, but it doesn't send the same signal as voting against the bill though.

Basically if Labour keep abstaining at every fucking thing, then what is the point? They are the major opposition party: what are they opposing to?
Ffs Starmer managed to get polling back and more people now support Bojo...

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
TIL that Priti Patel is a woman. Shamefully fascinating that she seems to care so little about her fellow women. She's of foreign decent as well? And is leading the charge on UK fascism? What?
She's a Tory. No fucks are given in terms of equality when you're a Tory. Very much a case of "fuck you, got mine".

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Sure, but it doesn't send the same signal as voting against the bill though.

Basically if Labour keep abstaining at every fucking thing, then what is the point? They are the major opposition party: what are they opposing to?
Ffs Starmer managed to get polling back and more people now support Bojo...

I know but Labour will take the angle that them abstaining is not giving their support to the bill.

It's so they can gain credibility with Tory voters.

She used to work for tobacco companies and was involved in rolling our child labour in the global south. Truly vile woman.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes the police should have handled it a lot better, but whether it leads to a spike or not, it's against the law to meet in groups in the UK.

It wasn't fucking Woodstock. A woman was kidnapped and murdered by a police officer, the very people we're meant to be able to trust because they're not meant to be violent animals like American police, and the police's response was to violently attack women holding a vigil for her?

You can't see the problem here? This was the opportunity for police to show solidarity with Sarah Everard but instead they chose to show solidarity with Wayne Couzens, her murderer.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Labour didn't vote against spycops or overseas torture. This just looks opportunistic than principled from the Labour front bench.

And I thought optics on the red wall doorstep was important??

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you're absolutely right. Remember when the police violently arrested and detained all those Rangers fans in Glasgow last week.

There's also a massive difference in that the women tried to do it properly and were rejected. Rangers fans spent a whole weekend rampaging through Glasgow and nothing was done.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks, this is the parralell I wanted to make but you've done it much better than me.

The biggest difference I can see is that breaking up the football supporters would have been hard for the police, is they'd need full riot gear, tear gas etc (I'd be totally up for that).

Plus they're white men, and the cops are white men.

Much easier to break up and manhandle a smaller group of women*, who are highlighting that one of your mates went nuts and killed someone.

*I know women can/are tougher fighters than some men, I'm talking averages here and specifics of the people involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Glad to see Labour will oppose the bill.

Also to those saying the police didn't do the same to anti lockdown protestors that is incorrect.

I watched quite a few live streams of the lockdown protest around various parts of London and saw the police live on stream in daylight hours dragging men & women to the ground and arresting them.

I personally don't agree with the anti lockdown protests but the ones I watched were largely peaceful until the police arrived and only made things worse just like last night at the vigil.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Three Labour MPs lose roles after voting against overseas operations bill

Defence secretary Ben Wallace says bill is needed because of Labour’s ‘illegal wars’
They voted against it after their amendments were rejected.

labourlist.org

Labour votes against controversial overseas operations bill – but it passes Commons - LabourList

Labour has voted against the controversial overseas operations bill as MPs in the Commons passed the legislation by…

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
ABAB.

For Americans and any others that don't know know, "bobby" is a slang word for a police officer in England at least.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
There is one issue with Labour opposing (and to be clear, I do want them to oppose). As soon as they do that, it makes it the government vs Labour and significantly reduces the chance of Tory MPs voting against the government.

It's fucked up, but it's what happens. I'm still sort of hoping that the government realises it's not a good look right now and pulls it.

However, this government has zero shame or accountability, so good luck I guess?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I'll give it a shot:

Fuck right off with this bullshit. It takes a minute, just minute, to see that over the past 12 months, that police, just like the government, didn't do much when it came to enforcing coronavirus laws. And now all of a sudden they're doing their job and they're not to be blamed for using violence against women who were there to mourn what happened to Everard. The same police that did fuck all with the EDL is now allowed to use violence? They're just doing their job right. The Met is corrupt through and through, but go ahead and defend.

ACAB

There was a specific protest exemption to the Coronavirus laws last summer, one that was removed from the latest updated legislation, the one putting all of England under lockdown. The Police in England have stepped in at protests since then.

www.bbc.co.uk

Covid-19: Anti-lockdown protesters arrested at Hyde Park demo

Up to 300 people gather in London's Hyde Park to protest at Covid-19 restrictions.

By all means criticise the Police, what happened last night was a disgrace. But don't let the people who crafted the legislation and gave the Police the directions off the hook in the process.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
There is one issue with Labour opposing (and to be clear, I do want them to oppose). As soon as they do that, it makes it the government vs Labour and significantly reduces the chance of Tory MPs voting against the government.

It's fucked up, but it's what happens. I'm still sort of hoping that the government realises it's not a good look right now and pulls it.

However, this government has zero shame or accountability, so good luck I guess?

You'd need 41 Tories to oppose it just to have a shot. Which is never rationally going to happen.

I would not be surprised to see the bill pulled and delayed for a while though.