Oct 26, 2017
We have a fascist police force because we have a fascist government.

The only way this government goes is when it kills itself, which is what happens with all fascist movements.

it's worse with fascist tories in charge sure, but the Met is rotten to its core, regardless of who is in government. Easily Britain's most corrupt organisation and its most violent gang. Its problems are institutional. When Cressida Dick murdered de Menzes it was during a Labour government. Fuck all of them and tear it down.

From the way Jess on Marr was talking about the Bill, the fact that it doesn't mention women at all, I think there's a chance that Labour will now oppose the bill. Defo think the OG plan was to abstain on the bill, hopefully Starmer doesn't fuck up here.

She's a terf, she can fuck off as well

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
it's worse with fascist tories in charge sure, but the Met is rotten to its core, regardless of who is in government. Easily Britain's most corrupt organisation and its most violent gang. Its problems are institutional. When Cressida Dick murdered de Menzes it was during a Labour government. Fuck all of them and tear it down.

Definitely, the met are rotten to the core. I would say that the UK police in their totality is corrupt as fuck when you take into account Hillsborough and the shit that took place in NI with the RUC.

The last Labour government were pretty socially conservative on the whole, when you look at the absolute ghouls they appointed as home sec.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's clear that the police that were tasked to go to this vigil were briefed beforehand to expect strong anti-police sentiment given the circumstances surrounding the victim's death. And as such they went in riled up.

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely, the met are rotten to the core. I would say that the UK police in their totality is corrupt as fuck when you take into account Hillsborough and the shit that took place in NI with the RUC.

The last Labour government were pretty socially conservative on the whole, when you look at the absolute ghouls they appointed as home sec.

Yeah the force in general is grim, just the Met seems to really harbour the worst of them, who always emerge during protests - remembering their gleeful violence during the 2010 student protests. Wasn't that long ago they charged cavalry into the BLM protest.
New Labour definitely full of ghouls, was more wanting to point out that this isn't a new problem that can be sorted democratically (as some others seem to consider), which is why the police are so brazen here. Completely unaccountable. That only 34 Labour MPs voted against the Spycops bill is frankly disgusting. The rest of the PLP can get in the sea.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
There is one issue with Labour opposing (and to be clear, I do want them to oppose). As soon as they do that, it makes it the government vs Labour and significantly reduces the chance of Tory MPs voting against the government.

It's fucked up, but it's what happens. I'm still sort of hoping that the government realises it's not a good look right now and pulls it.

However, this government has zero shame or accountability, so good luck I guess?

The same outcome happens regardless. Only for one Labour did the bare minimum, and for the other they stand by and let the Tories pass it without even taking all of the blame for doing so.

One of the main reasons that Starmer has been so awful is that Labour are repeatedly doing the latter. He is the shrug emoji in a suit.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Yeah the force in general is grim, just the Met seems to really harbour the worst of them, who always emerge during protests - remembering their gleeful violence during the 2010 student protests. Wasn't that long ago they charged cavalry into the BLM protest.
New Labour definitely full of ghouls, was more wanting to point out that this isn't a new problem that can be sorted democratically (as some others seem to consider), which is why the police are so brazen here. Completely unaccountable.

I don't think it can be sorted through electoral means either, sorry if I gave that impression. My point was more that the police are merely an extension of the government, which in turn serves the interests of the rich and powerful. The government does not serve the average person, which some people believe is the case.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The front page of the Sunday papers pretty much show how right Meghan was. All but one front page that I counted show Kate Middleton secretly (after alerting the news beforehand) attending the vigil and making her look great, while ignoring the violence from later on. Fucking scum.

Yeah, I just walked past Sainsbury's and saw that.

What would they read if Meghan attended?

"MEGHAN MAKES IT ALL ABOUT HER AGAIN: Claims "She knows what it's like"...BUT DOES SHE!?"

Then a little section like "Mournful Kate Respectful As Always"

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
There is one issue with Labour opposing (and to be clear, I do want them to oppose). As soon as they do that, it makes it the government vs Labour and significantly reduces the chance of Tory MPs voting against the government.
If Labour abstain from voting on a bill then there's a maximum of 439 voting members of the House of Commons (since the speaker and deputies don't vote, and Sinn FĂ©in don't take their seats). Defeating a bill therefore would take 220 MPs to vote against. Of the 439 voting members in that scenario, 363 are Conservatives and only 76 aren't. For a bill to fail with Labour abstaining, no fewer than 144 Conservative MPs would have to rebel against the government.

The mathematics of abstaining in the hopes of Conservatives voting against just don't work out. If Labour want a bill to fail, they need to vote against it. That's not going to work very often, but abstaining won't work either.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
People are under the impression that you can get conservative MPs to change their minds and abstain/vote against pieces of legislation, with reasoned debates and arguments.

The truth is that most Tory MPs are cunts and want to climb the greasy poll so won't rock the boat and the whips have plenty of dirt on these MPs if they do decide to rebel.

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget Orgreave and the miners strikes.

As a Yorkshireman the idea of voting Conservative or siding with the Met on this, as many of my county compatriots have done and no doubt are doing today, makes me feel sick to my stomach.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The front page of the Sunday papers pretty much show how right Meghan was. All but one front page that I counted show Kate Middleton secretly (after alerting the news beforehand) attending the vigil and making her look great, while ignoring the violence from later on. Fucking scum.

This is literally one of the worst things I've ever read here, which says a lot given the utter trash that gets posted on this forum. It can't possibly be that Kate has experienced sexism on her life, has experienced harassment and God knows what else, and feels empathy and sadness for a woman who's been brutally murdered. No, it's clearly a conspiracy and a PR stunt.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

I really don't see how she stays in her job.

If she stays or goes, it's not going to matter. The police is a corrupt and bigoted institution, sacking one person isn't going to make a difference, except to make a few people feel better.

Dick will no doubt be given a peerage later on and be comfortable for the rest of her life.

Don't forget Orgreave and the miners strikes.

As a Yorkshireman the idea of voting Conservative or siding with the Met on this, as many of my county compatriots have done and no doubt are doing today, makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Yep, there are loads of incidents that I've missed. The cops and Tories are complete scum.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally one of the worst things I've ever read here, which says a lot given the utter trash that gets posted on this forum. It can't possibly be that Kate has experienced sexism on her life, has experienced harassment and God knows what else, and feels empathy and sadness for a woman who's been brutally murdered. No, it's clearly a conspiracy and a PR stunt.

oh no who will think of the feelings of the aristocracy

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I could be wrong here, but I believe the poster is criticising the newspapers rather than Kate Middleton herself.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Misogyny and sexism effects all aspects of society, you shouldn't downplay or question someone's experience and motivation just because you don't like them.

She and her family sit on top of a Scrooge McDuck sized pile of wealth stolen, violently, from people around the world, including plenty of women. And they do it proudly. I'll take Kate Middleton's plight seriously the minute she publicly rejects the monarchy.

Oct 26, 2017

If she was going to pay her respects she would have worn a mask like literally every other person there, but she didn't because she went for a photo op. Like, the myriad of front pages devoted to her should have made that pretty obvious.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair if either or both of them go its not going to make any difference but Labour are targeting ex-Labour voters who voted Tory in 2019.

Problem is, the vote change from 2017 to 2019 was mostly down to people staying home instead of going to vote.
I understand that, but do they really think that the same people that have voted leave, the same people that put this clown in charge now, the same that are racist, homophobic and transphobic and despise anything that even smells like labour, they will somehow change their mind because Starmer is... doing fuck all?

Surely they have people that understand these dynamics more than me and I wish them well: I am not entirely sure I'll be up for voting Tory light though.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
I understand that, but do they really think that the same people that have voted leave, the same people that put this clown in charge now, the same that are racist, homophobic and transphobic and despise anything that even smells like labour, they will somehow change their mind because Starmer is... doing fuck all?

Surely they have people that understand these dynamics more than me and I wish them well: I am not entirely sure I'll be up for voting Tory light though.

Starmer's head of policy is Claire Ainsley, who believes that Labour need to fight on cultural issues and appeal to people who are culturally working class, i.e. not from London, white, cis and het.

Here's an intro into their thinking

www.thelondoneconomic.com

What you need to know about Claire Ainsley, Labour's answer to Dominic Cummings

If you want to understand Labour's new direction under Sir Keir Starmer, you need to understand his new policy chief.

Issues with polling is that they used the ABC1C2DE categories, which are a load of shit because C2DE are considered working class but a pensioner landlord falls in there. While someone fresh out of uni, who works in a call centre and renting their home can fall into ABC1, which is considered to be upper middle class and above.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I could be wrong here, but I believe the poster is criticising the newspapers rather than Kate Middleton herself.

Well, about that...

oh no who will think of the feelings of the aristocracy

If she was going to pay her respects she would have worn a mask like literally every other person there, but she didn't because she went for a photo op. Like, the myriad of front pages devoted to her should have made that pretty obvious.

The idea that sexism and harassment is a universal problem for women, but it's cool to dismiss Kate because she's a Royal and as such can't possibly have experienced harassment or sexism, is inherently disturbing. And, rather aptly, is incredibly sexist at the same time.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
www.bbc.co.uk

Sarah Everard: What went wrong at the Clapham vigil?

Maintaining public order at protests is one of the hardest jobs in modern policing.

" Patsy Stevenson, the red-haired woman caught on camera being handcuffed on the ground at the bandstand, received a ÂŁ200 Covid fine as police tried to remove her from the area. She has not been accused of, or charged with, violence - but was there any elsewhere?

There was definitely a lot of anger - with some of the crowd chanting obscenities at the police at one point. And pictures obtained by the Press Association clearly show three instances of officers being forcibly shoved and a van's wing mirror being deliberately vandalised.

Guess what? All three instances involved men, not women."

Consent manufacture goes brrrrrr

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
To be fair if either or both of them go its not going to make any difference but Labour are targeting ex-Labour voters who voted Tory in 2019.

Problem is, the vote change from 2017 to 2019 was mostly down to people staying home instead of going to vote.

Not to mention people pulled from Labour to the LDs in 2019 in large numbers (after a catastrophic 2017 election for them). Kind of bizarre that this, to my mind, has barely explored when the slightly larger Labour to Con shift has had tomes written about it in the last year.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Not to mention people pulled from Labour to the LDs in 2019 in large numbers (after a catastrophic 2017 election for them). Kind of bizarre that this, to my mind, has barely explored when the slightly larger Labour to Con shift has had tomes written about it in the last year.

Quite right, it's quite weird that the Labour to LD shift was not investigated and Starmer's initial bump in the polls was due to those people going Labour to LD going back to Labour.

Then again, the press need to push a narrative that Labour has lost the working class, in order that Labour never appoint someone with mild social democratic policies in the future.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading this thread all along and was planning to make a Starmer would abstain from this too joke yesterday, then decided against it because there's just no way he wouldn't take a stand against this, but here we are.

What a gutless coward.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Gal Dem called Keir a "wet wipe" and honestly I haven't seen a better moniker yet.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a good film about how vile the UK police force can be, last years "Ultraviolence" is a pretty good documentary about people (often POC) dying in police custody.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Cressida Dick should never have had a significant career in the police after John Charles de Menezes, never mind the top job. The fact that after doing something like this she isn't even close to getting the push is quite shocking and says a lot about the destruction of accountability that has happened in the past decade of Tory government.

Christ, the way the police responded, you'd say they were showing solidarity with the accused murderer over the victim.