• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
I hope the rumblings of disgruntled lefties in Durham helping the conservatives is just bullshit stirring by tories. It's not going for Starmer that bothers me but the excess and entitled behaviour of Johnson etc being lessened that really fucks me off.

As always it's "accuse others of what you're guilty of" from the "sensibles". They spent 5 years undermining Labour because it dared to be vaguely progressive so now they assume that's what's happening to them.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Conspiratorial Rhetoric and Inflammatory Generalizations
I hope the rumblings of disgruntled lefties in Durham helping the conservatives is just bullshit stirring by tories. It's not going for Starmer that bothers me but the excess and entitled behaviour of Johnson etc being lessened that really fucks me off.
I have no doubt it's true. They are clearly working with CCHQ, helping the Tories at the expense of their own party.
All while their supporters are calling women sluts & whores on twitter and saying centrists should be hung.
Showing their true colours.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
As always it's "accuse others of what you're guilty of" from the "sensibles". They spent 5 years undermining Labour because it dared to be vaguely progressive so now they assume that's what's happening to them.

I'm aware of that possibility but the quotes I saw was from tories, as I say I just hope it's all bullshit that is getting amplified by the right of the Labour party.

Johnson finally getting some deserved political payback is not something to be played with by anyone.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have no doubt it's true. They are clearly working with CCHQ, helping the Tories at the expense of their own party.
All while their supporters are calling women sluts & whores on twitter and saying centrists should be hung.

Rando's on twitter aside
I hope they're not, there's a clear difference to me between having a go at the leadership for their failings and helping the conservatives and Boris fucking Johnson in particular.

Omoi

May 7, 2019

Fucking get a grip, with this "I'm going to find a random nob on twitter talking shit and then use it to claim all left wingers are loons" nonsense. This conspiratorial bollocks is exactly the kind of stuff that the left of the party was mocked for claiming was happening for years, and now as soon as the tables have turned it is definitely true? Pure projection. Always.

"Their own party"

Well, it isn't really their party is it. The left got removed from labour, and honestly I can't blame anyone from enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the current lot getting done in by exactly the same tactics they spent five years participating in, and then claiming that they'd be able to avoid somehow by being sensible and pandering to the press. It is funny.

Last edited:

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, we're cherry picking posts from randos to make bizzare sweeping generalisations about people who disagree with us? Okay let me have a go:

Raising marriage to 18 is such a dumb move and right on brand for them

Wow looks like centerists sure are pro child marriage! What age do you think people should be getting married at Jim?

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales

Lol

Can we quit it with the hot take randos on twitter and their coping? It doesn't help your case. In fact it's a bit desperate tbh.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh, we're cherry picking posts from randos to make bizzare sweeping generalisations about people who disagree with us? Okay let me have a go:

Wow looks like centerists sure are pro child marriage! What age do you think people should be getting married at Jim?

I don't have a problem with raising the age because of forced marriage but Pauline Latham wouldn't give a fuck about it if it was just christians doing it. she's one of the nutters accusing the national trust of being Marxists for looking at the issue of colonialism. I'm wary of conservatives and consent laws as they always tried to raise them whenever a minority group looked like they might get some rights like everyone else had.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017

Genuinely fascinated by people who were obsessed and frothing at the mouth for months with Boris Johnson doing effectively the same thing are now on completely the other side of the tedious argument.

It's stupid to be retroactively digging up this tedious shit, as it was for Johnson, not only because there are many things of far more importance to be talking about, but because in itself these stories are just nonsense. However when you make it what politics is for, and are obsessed about it being a resigning matter... to suddenly say it is a silly trivial story just... I don't know, do these people really care about anything other than red team vs blue team?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Genuinely fascinated by people who were obsessed and frothing at the mouth for months with Boris Johnson doing effectively the same thing are now on completely the other side of the tedious argument.

It's stupid to be retroactively digging up this tedious shit, as it was for Johnson, not only because there are many things of far more importance to be talking about, but because in itself these stories are just nonsense. However when you make it what politics is for, and are obsessed about it being a resigning matter... to suddenly say it is a silly trivial story just... I don't know, do these people really care about anything other than red team vs blue team?

The prime minister being a serial liar both in and out of parliament is certainly something to make a deal out of

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
The prime minister being a serial liar both in and out of parliament is certainly something to make a deal out of

Yeah, if it was a one off or if he just said fair cop at some stage the story would have ended, he's a serial fucking liar and i will take him tripping up over that as he gets away with everything else he touches and corrupts. i will take anything, you don't see tories fretting over Bacon butties and the endless stream of shite they push in the press and elsewhere.

Downing street had people going on booze cruises around London they were knocking that much back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
And just to continue stating the obvious, eating a meal is different to having a party.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this going to end with, he resigned so broke the law and Boris didn't resign so did not break the law even though he did mental gymnastics or shows he is weak for resigning. Doesn't seem like there is much in it so far and a false equivalence.

God, give me a GE already.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously, if Starmer has broken the law he needs to resign. I'm not entirely sure what the law even was at the time and it is certainly different to a series of parties with suitcases of alcohol being wheeled in but his position is completely untenable if it turns out he was in breach of the rules too.

Feels like the Tories are taking advantage of some useful idiots on the centre and left that want Starmer out though and that I don't like.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Feels like the Tories are taking advantage of some useful idiots on the centre and left that want Starmer out though and that I don't like.

Yeah, whoever gave that quote to the Times could have waited a fucking week or brought it up at the time if they were that bothered about it. We should be enjoying a Tory autopsy instead of some more internal Labour shite.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves, I would be shocked if he made a fumble that bad. I definitely think Labour will chop their own legs off with this though and Tories will laugh.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

When you dislike Starmer so much that you end up making the same points as Jacob Rees-Mogg…

LordZap

Oct 27, 2017
A human right barrister who's an expert on Covid laws take from a few days ago. He finds it very unlikely given current evidence.

I figure it's useful to raise given the talk about the event. Unless there is something we don't know, there is no reason for the police to fine Starmer. Feeding staff during an election campaign event that was scheduled wasn't against any rules, and was a perfectly reasonable action.

There is a different between Social Event & Meal planned during a campaign. I'd be surprised if he resigns prior to getting a fine, and I don't think he gets fined.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Jo Maugham of the Good Law Project disagrees

And specifically says they way the law is written means that a liberal interpretation is not really in the spirit of the law

I hope Keir gts fined and takes it to court

LordZap

Oct 27, 2017
Jo Maugham of the Good Law Project disagrees

And specifically says they way the law is written means that a liberal interpretation is not really in the spirit of the law

I hope Keir gts fined and takes it to court

A liberal interpretation is required when it comes to a political party organising an election campaign. They had to feed their staff somehow, Starmers hotel stopped serving food after 9, there were no alternatives at 10pm. The fact over an hour was booked on the schedule for food suggests they intended to do more than just eat food. Doesn't take 80 minutes to eat a takeaway.

Unless you can physically prove Starmer did no further work after 10pm, its difficult to see how he's fined.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
A liberal interpretation is required when it comes to a political party organising an election campaign. They had to feed their staff somehow, Starmers hotel stopped serving food after 9, there were no alternatives at 10pm. The fact over an hour was booked on the schedule for food suggests they intended to do more than just eat food. Doesn't take 80 minutes to eat a takeaway.

Unless you can physically prove Starmer did no further work after 10pm, its difficult to see how he's fined.

Just because they have to feed staff doesn't mean they could break social distancing law to do it.

If you worked for a company you could not all go for lunch at someone's house.

LordZap

Oct 27, 2017
Just because they have to feed staff doesn't mean they could break social distancing law to do it.

If you worked for a company you could not all go for lunch at someone's house.

Going to a Colleague's house for food would be a social event. It's not a requirement. You could however eat food at work, that was allowed. Meeting up with local MPs two days before an election is a reasonable work event.

I'm not disagreeing that It's finable if there is proof of them breaking rules, and not continuing to work. I just don't think that proof currently existing. At least, the public haven't seen it.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
If he is found to have broken the law, he has to quit, for the simple fact that he said that Johnson should do the same.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No matter what happens with Starmer, the Tories have won here. We are so fucked.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

They are different though? Starmer isn't in charge of the country, didn't write the law that enforces covid restrictions and no one would begrudge the Tories for eating dinner if they were working late. On top of that this only happened once whereas at Downing Street it seems like a week couldn't go by without them having a piss up.

I think if Starmer is found guilty he should step down but at the same time I think equating having a meal at the end of the day to all the parties they had at Downing Street is absurd. Those breaches are on another level and it's about making the government accountable for their actions.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Shit, someone bad made the same argument? Sorry. I now think wine and cake is despicable and a resigning matter, but curry and beer is fine. Is that the approved line?

is this because you wanted to go clubbing during the pandemic or something?

People who were "frothing the mouth" were doing it because it was the latest thing in a long line of rule breaking he had done since being Mayor of London. Ignoring procurement rules, handing cash to whoever was sucking his cock that week, funding his flat etc.

If he'd just fucked up and had a Peroni in Doncaster it wouldn't be a thing.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
People who were "frothing the mouth" were doing it because it was the latest thing in a long line of rule breaking he had done since being Mayor of London. Ignoring procurement rules, handing cash to whoever was sucking his cock that week, funding his flat etc.

Starmer didn't ask him to resign for any of those things (I don't think), he did ask him to resign for being fined for breaking lockdown rules. If he broke them himself, it's not a good look.

Again, I actually think it's really dodgy looking back at this stuff retrospectively, I really don't think someone should be able to be fined for finishing a meeting with a beer and curry a year or so back. As much as I find it amusing that it's happening to someone I don't like, I still think it's bad (and don't think there's any particular benefit in him being done other than schadenfreude).

Still, if this story was about Johnson finishing a meeting by having a curry and a beer, no doubt the people I quoted and many Starmer-defenders in this thread would be laying into him. Perhaps that would be because Johnson has also done X, Y and Z - if that is the case, then attack him for X, Y and Z.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Starmer didn't ask him to resign for any of those things (I don't think), he did ask him to resign for being fined for breaking lockdown rules. If he broke them himself, it's not a good look.

Again, I actually think it's really dodgy looking back at this stuff retrospectively, I really don't think someone should be able to be fined for finishing a meeting with a beer and curry a year or so back. As much as I find it amusing that it's happening to someone I don't like, I still think it's bad (and don't think there's any particular benefit in him being done other than schadenfreude).

Still, if this story was about Johnson finishing a meeting by having a curry and a beer, no doubt the people I quoted and many Starmer-defenders in this thread would be laying into him. Perhaps that would be because Johnson has also done X, Y and Z - if that is the case, then attack him for X, Y and Z.

People would lay into him, the story would have gone on for a couple of days and died. Johnson and the timed leaking forced the police to come after him, the police looked absolutely corrupt and useless. I don't care about Starmer but the language being used by people on the left is normalising the behaviour of the government just to get Starmer out. Year 12 of this shit and it isn't acceptable, wasn't when it was done to Miliband, Corbyn or Starmer, you can call it team red and blue but that is part of the game in the UK and it isn't cricket that the tories are playing.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Timing and nature of these lockdown "events" worth nothing. I remember April 2021 as I remember lots of that "quasi-lockdown" period when it was expected to be business as usual for us during working hours. Anxious of fighting through corridors packed full of kids, eating with colleagues in small workrooms.

It would be incredible if Starmer falls on his sword over a pre-scheduled dinner (and if he is fined, he should go) whilst Johnson just carries on. But fully expected in this country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The big smoking gun? Food arrived late.

Take him away boys...

caught-arrested.gif

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is desperately embarrassing from the Tories and their pals but I think the masses are going to fall into line with they are all the same as they do these days but still vote Tory.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
No matter what happens with Starmer, the Tories have won here. We are so fucked.
Not really. This has basically no traction compared to Boris no matter how much the Daily Mail have been trying to push it. For starters, there ean't an outright denial from the start I like Boris who straight up lord, and that is a MASSIVE difference in the yes if the public.

Even if he does resign, that still fucks over the e tories because it shows one side taking responsibility for their actions and one side trying to cling onto power by any means.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. This has basically no traction compared to Boris no matter how much the Daily Mail have been trying to push it. For starters, there ean't an outright denial from the start I like Boris who straight up lord, and that is a MASSIVE difference in the yes if the public.

Even if he does resign, that still fucks over the e tories because it shows one side taking responsibility for their actions and one side trying to cling onto power by any means.
I think the whole thing is a load of bollocks, but disagree Starmer resigning has any negative impact on the Tories. Sure they might look bad in comparison, but that's nothing when there's a Labour leadership contest on the go for everyone to get excited about.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tories have no shame, I don't think this does anything to be honest but help them. If Starmer quits they'll just say they are weak etc.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think the whole thing is a load of bollocks, but disagree Starmer resigning has any negative impact on the Tories. Sure they might look bad in comparison, but that's nothing when there's a Labour leadership contest on the go for everyone to get excited about.
I would say a crashing economy would be the biggest issue for people now. If all this came out a few months ago it may have been important, but I get the feeling people are going to vote on the economy more than anything else. The tories need the budget of a generation to save them imo.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If Starker broke the law, he should go. Because that is what he said Boris should do.

But it's also easy to point out that Boris didn't get investigated for the garden party with cheese and wine because it was work's, and did get investigated for a whole bunch of others. Stuff that was pre arranged not something cause by food arriving late.