• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Cheers for the replies, although I'm none-the-wiser! I'll keep an eye out for it then!

Yeah anytime this week is about as good as i can pin it down.

Voting for the next Labour Party Leaders has opened!
Don't panic if you haven't received your ballot today, it will take most of this week for everyone to receive them

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

To be expected I suppose. Keir seems okay, he's no Blairite. Unlike other Labour MPs, we has willing to stand up for Corbyn post-2017 instead of constantly trying to undermine him.. Plus, he's already signaled that Labour's move to the left should not be "course-corrected" and that clearly has earned him the respect of many who supported Corbyn in 2015 and 2016.

For what its worth though, as a Canadian I am envious of the British Labour party and Bernie's movement in America. Here on the Canadian Left our only two choices are milquetoast incompetence (NDP) and the centrist Liberals. Canadians just like to look down on Americans without considering how their own country is so far behind European welfare states on so many issues.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

News, analysis and comment from the Financial Times, the worldʼs leading global business publication

Boris Johnson will on Thursday junk previous commitments to Brussels as he publishes Britain's goals for a trade deal with the EU, setting up a row over the so-called "level playing field" on which the two sides will do business.

Mr Johnson's negotiating mandate will insist that Britain should enjoy full control over its own rules in areas such as state aid, labour laws and the environment, while also setting out a tough stance on fishing rights.

The detailed UK mandate, to be published in a white paper, is already being seen in Brussels as a flagrant breach of undertakings given by Mr Johnson to create a "robust" and mutually agreed regime to ensure "fair and open competition".

Boris going back on commitments? I never

Oct 27, 2017
Boris promised to end the third runway so I totally expect that he'll take credit for the courts decision.

Wonder if he'll resurrect his fucking terrible plan to float an airport in the Thames estuary now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they playing the stock market and currency manipulation or something. They are taking the absolute piss, it's the last 3 years all over again. Well if the EU isn't going to bend over, it's their fault so we have to accept whatever shit the Tories come up with as an alternative. Is it that obvious?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Does this really fool anyone when no deal effectively kills countless industries?

All the reactions i'm seeing over this are mocking the UK because this is so transparent a monkey would see through it.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Does this really fool anyone when no deal effectively kills countless industries?

All the reactions i'm seeing over this are mocking the UK because this is so transparent a monkey would see through it.

The point isn't to fool anyone in a position of power. It's to fool the electorate, who will have proven time and time again that they will fall for it.

An effective disinformation campaign is now just feeding people the lines they want to hear and the 52% just want to hear how great Britain is. Doesn't matter if it doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

Brexit was built on the gullibility of the British public.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

People underestimate the pig-headed-ness of the British voting electorate at their peril.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I think they are boxing themselves in, they might think they will win because Rule Brittania or something, but it's going to get ugly.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I think they are boxing themselves in, they might think they will win because Rule Brittania or something, but it's going to get ugly.
It's the same dumb mistake May made when she boxed herself in and didn't get the EU to bend over. I really don't get the strategy here.

I mean not even cummings would be dumb enough for no deal so why set the expectation?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is that Boris knows that he (personally) has nothing to lose, what with his landslide victory. He's going all out, and I'm anxious about what else he has planned.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
One thing to keep in mind is that in the last phase of negotiations, Boris and Cummings were going all out on the "we will walk away if see an EU flag in our peripheral vision".

Then they did a complete 180 and basically accepted the original deal the EU offered. Bluster is the one thing Boris has going for him. Good chance this is all for show, to show them sticking it to the EU (even though they are doing no such thing).

Then they will acquiesce completely at the 11th hour and claim it was a victory for their tough negotiating strategy. And people will buy it and my head will continue it's slow evolution into mush.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's the same dumb mistake May made when she boxed herself in and didn't get the EU to bend over. I really don't get the strategy here.

I mean not even cummings would be dumb enough for no deal so why set the expectation?

'We only want what Canada wants, Canada was offered to us at the start, it's the mean EU that aren't letting us have it, so they're to blame for everything.'

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
They was just saying on the radio, this is all due to his majority, as before the EU could turn the screw before as the Gov was in chaos, not this time, Boris can if he chooses comfortable get no deal through

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They was just saying on the radio, this is all due to his majority, as before the EU could turn the screw before as the Gov was in chaos, not this time, Boris can if he chooses comfortable get no deal through

Yeah, i don't think that really bothers the EU so much, they want a deal if its possible, May being unable to deliver was the problem.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Has Starmer even talked about policy yet?

It's RLB & Butler for me. Fuck Lisa Nandy.

RLB has improved as the contest has gone on but she's still not quite good enough for me.
A few years in Starmer's shadow cabinet(if he wins) will probably do her good, free of the Corbyn shadow hanging over her.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Voted for Starmer and Rayner. Both will probably get a landslide, Rayner will probably get an even bigger one. Voting for party leader was easy, deputy was a lot harder. Struggled to choose between Rosena and Rayner so just coin flipped it.