• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Black Friday week sees various software titles affected by huge promotions, most of which are hardware driven. Entertainment Software unit sales climb +89% over last week and +53% by revenue and this is the biggest week of the year so far for both units and revenue. On console hardware and looking specifically at combined sales units of PS4 and Xbox One hardware, this Black Friday week was more successful than last year, up around 3% compared to week 47, 2016. Standout success on PS4 hardware specifically which beat all previous PS4 Black Friday weeks except for Black Friday 2013 (week 48) which was also PS4 launch week. Official Hard Bundles for PS4 and Xbox One reached a new high this year, accounting for over 83% of all PS4/Xbox One hardware units sold this week.

Huge VR sales as well
PSVR headset sales are huge this week, on a par with launch week (wk41/2016) and this week is the equivalent of the past 18 weeks of PSVR sell-through. A couple of Sony first party PS4 new releases make the Top 40, with 'Knowledge is Power' debuting at No14 and 'Hidden Agenda' debuting at No15.

https://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/11/call-duty-wwii-retains-top-spot-fourth-week

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of that was the Pro model. I mostly saw big discounts on the PS4 Pro, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Not as many aggressive discounts on the OG or Slim PS4.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
I post what I already put in the other thread but I'm surprised PS4 is ahead of the Xbox One and sold better than last year, Xbox one S bundles were at £169 while PS4 bundles were at £199. Last year it was the opposite with PS4 at £199 and Xbox One S at £229.

Bazinga

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I post what I already put in the other thread but I'm surprised PS4 is ahead of the Xbox One and sold better than last year, Xbox one S bundles were at £169 while PS4 bundles were at £199. Last year it was the opposite with PS4 at £199 and Xbox One S at £229.

PS4 has huge AAA exclusives coming in 2018. People must be buying PS4s in anticipation of those games. Fantastic to see PS4 domination.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017

Think the exclusive software this year and in 2018 probably have a lot to with it.

Oct 29, 2017
Knack came out in 2013.

Knack 2 came out in 2017.

Coincidence? I think not.
source.gif

But yeah I figured this year would start the decline of PS4 sales. I guess Sony manages to eke out another record nonetheless. Good stuff.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't PS4 launch on Black Friday in 2013? Pretty impressive this years numbers are close to that.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I post what I already put in the other thread but I'm surprised PS4 is ahead of the Xbox One and sold better than last year, Xbox One S bundles were at £169 while PS4 bundles were at £199. Last year it was the opposite with PS4 at £199 and Xbox One S at £229.

The Xbox One S has been £199 or less for months now, while the PlayStation 4 hasn't really gone below the £200 mark since this time last year.

It is all about how one console holds its value for longer than the other for the majority of the year. Price certainly is king here in the UK however, when one console goes under £200 far more often than the other, then it inevitably begins to lose its value perception.

And it certainly doesn't help when Forza Horizon 3 has been the only bundled game all year, given how uninspiring this year has been for the Xbox One first party wise.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Huge VR sales as well
PSVR headset sales are huge this week, on a par with launch week (wk41/2016) and this week is the equivalent of the past 18 weeks of PSVR sell-through. A couple of Sony first party PS4 new releases make the Top 40, with 'Knowledge is Power' debuting at No14 and 'Hidden Agenda' debuting at No15.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So Sony beat their previous records, but who 'won' BF?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that doesn't seem to be mentioned.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
In Germany, the Pro was discounted down to 250 €. I guess they sold a lot of them.
When you think about it with Pro + VR + Camera + Move Controllers + Skyrim + VR Worlds for 600€ you have a fully fledged and probably the most user friendly VR-solution. It's a fantastic deal. Get PS+ on top for Rush of Blood and Bound and you are good. And then you also have the current-gen console with the biggest library at the moment.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 outselling the XBO 2:1 is amazing.

It's nice to be on top.... for several years already.
Pac-Man
Waka Waka

etc.

Bruno MB

PAL Charts Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So Sony beat their previous records, but who 'won' BF?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that doesn't seem to be mentioned.

PlayStation 4 sold considerably more units than Xbox One during Black Friday but it is likely than in November Xbox One sold more units due to the big Xbox One X launch.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 won BF in UK. We have to wait for US results now.

PlayStation 4 sold considerably more units than Xbox One during Black Friday but it is likely than in November Xbox One sold more units due to the big Xbox One X launch.

From the other thread

Thanks for the breakdown.

That's a huge split in Sony's favour. X1 at £169 with multiple games bundled just wasn't enough.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much of that was the Pro model. I mostly saw big discounts on the PS4 Pro, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X. Not as many aggressive discounts on the OG or Slim PS4.

Currys / PCWorld had the Pro + Battlefront + Fallout 4 + GT Sport + Extra Controller for £229.99 or £199.99 without the extra controller..............I was in dreamland!

Regular bundles everywhere for £199.99 though with extra games so was priced very aggresively everywhere

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
£200 for PS4 slim + 3 games is really good. I saw XB1S at £170-ish which is really good too but no reason for me to get one since I can play the likes of Forza on PC. At least if Halo 6 doesn't come to PC then I know I'll be able to get an XB1S for dirt cheap.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have numbers or something, I really dislike these claims without digits.
It makes for a more interesting read IMO when you got numbers to work with.