• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The player from Undertale

Emiya Shirou, at least in the first two routes of Fate/Stay Night. Endangers his life and others around him just to be a hero who can "save everyone."
73357394.jpg

In Unlimited Blade Works, the apex of his character arc is This Carnival Phantasm sketch sums it up pretty easily(Spoilers, obviously):

I've only seen the UBW anime. Does that route really end that way?
Emiya and Archer just talking in circles about bullshit ("You can't save everyone. Seriously. I am literal proof." "I'll try to save everyone!" "You can't save everyone...") they fight for a bit, eventually Emiya wins and Archer's pretty much "Yeah, I used to be super stubborn, didn't I?"

I second Kane and Lynch. They get themselves into shitty situations, then make things worse for themselves and others trying to get out. Over and over.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Geralt from The Witcher.

I love his whole "I'm a god damn handy man for everyone shitty problems" attitude. But he's the best dad.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Squall was a fantastic character and still Square's best lead imho. But he definitely was an asshole all throughout the first Disc so I see why he is being mentioned. But going through his flashbacks and learning why he has this front and his slow growth and eventual friendship with all of his comrades makes it all worthwhile and makes for a great character.

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I've only seen the UBW anime. Does that route really end that way?
Emiya and Archer just talking in circles about bullshit ("You can't save everyone. Seriously. I am literal proof." "I'll try to save everyone!" "You can't save everyone...") they fight for a bit, eventually Emiya wins and Archer's pretty much "Yeah, I used to be super stubborn, didn't I?"
From what I've heard, it definitely follows most of the original VN.

It's still not as offensively bad as A-1's Fate/FanfictionApoopcrypha.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
For me it all depends on context. There are lots of RPGs, especially WRPGs, where you are obviously working to save the world from imminent doom and EVERYONE knows that, but then you get sucked into a 10 hour side arc about settling a personal dispute between two groups that are bitching with each other over something stupid, or you have to do 10 different people's lame ass chores. When that happens I'm always like "I'm saving the fucking world here, we're all on a countdown timer, and you know it, GTFO my way" so when the main character does that too, it's extremely satisfying. Sometimes I even want my character to be an extra dick just to drive the point home, like playing renegade in ME2.

Of course, the opposite can be true as well, where you're just one dude interjecting themselves into the lives of others, so they have no reason to give a crap about whatever your deal is, and then you're a jerk to them. That's not cool. Then it's much worse when you have a small team and your character doesn't care about any of the people who are being his sole friends in the world.

That's actually one thing I appreciate about games like Fallout. Your character is just the choices you make. Yes, it's a bit of a narrative hit, but you aren't forced into acting out someone else's notion of the adventure. If someone betrays you and are cocky about it, you can shoot them. Yeah, you potentially lose missions related to them, but that is your choice in the postapocalyptic setting. Do you want to be the guy people think they can fuck with? Do you want to be the hero? You can negotiate or not, be gracious and helpful or not, it's your call.

Something like TEW2 seems to strike a middleground by having less clear circumstantial morality or scope. It's just a story of people with their own drives and desires in the situation. It comes off more natural/intimate/real that way, and in some ways is a relief from games that have you bearing the weight of the world. Higher ethic doesn't always need to be in the picture for game narratives.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Kratos is such a massive piece of shit that he'd be the final boss in any other game. I'm extremely iffy on the new game trying to 'redeem' him, he's just too much of a fucking monster for me to ever actually sympathize with

He's the god of WAR. What do you expect? Someone who is kind, gentle, and in touch with their emotions?

I like that he's just a bloodthirsty maniac out for vengeance.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Ryudo from Grandia 2.

Huge asshole

NO ONE CALLS HIM OUT FOR IT.

There are characters literally in the script to be treated like shit by him, and when new characters appear to be shat on, those first characters cease to exist in scenes they're still in.

Oct 27, 2017
He's the god of WAR. What do you expect? Someone who is kind, gentle, and in touch with their emotions?

That's why he feels like he would be the final boss of any other game, just a straight scumbag who you get to kill at the very end. I don't want to play as him, though, It's impossible for me as a player to get into the shoes of someone who acts the way he does. It doesn't help that the games keep trying to justify his behavior, right after he's done carving through a crowd of innocents for some health. GTA's violence and tone is wacky and over-the-top enough that it isn't that jarring (and even those games sic the cops on you if you kill civilians), whereas some of the violence you perpetrate as Kratos feels way too 'real'.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
That's actually one thing I appreciate about games like Fallout. Your character is just the choices you make. Yes, it's a bit of a narrative hit, but you aren't forced into acting out someone else's notion of the adventure. If someone betrays you and are cocky about it, you can shoot them. Yeah, you potentially lose missions related to them, but that is your choice in the postapocalyptic setting. Do you want to be the guy people think they can fuck with? Do you want to be the hero? You can negotiate or not, be gracious and helpful or not, it's your call.
Oh boy i'll take it that you havent played Fallout 4 yet

Speaking of which - Nora/Nate. Don't pretend its my character, bethesda, i just gave a face to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing as an unsympathetic piece of shit can be fun. It just bothers me when the portrayal doesn't reflect that, or at least my interpretation of said portrayal.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Squall was a fantastic character and still Square's best lead imho. But he definitely was an asshole all throughout the first Disc so I see why he is being mentioned. But going through his flashbacks and learning why he has this front and his slow growth and eventual friendship with all of his comrades.
Honestly we already see him begin to change quite heavily in disc one so even that is overblown. His interest in Rinoa at the dance is quite obvious and his feelings regarding Seifer and her. His response to Seifer being announced dead and guiding Irvine into carrying out the assassination of Edea. Then there is the options where you can approach situations in a more respectable way like helping Selphie in the Garden tour or contributing to the Garden committee. I think people just chose to be assholes and blamed Squall for it.

I think the biggest reason people dislike Squall is because of his attitude towards Quistis who completely deserves it. She is unprofessional and uses her position of power to get closer to a student she is interested in.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Well, I think the problem for many, including myself, is how the game attempts to justify his horrific actions. As if his minor squabble with the Gods is a good enough justification for the whole sale slaughter he commits against thousands of innocents.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos is my least favorite character in video games. There are just no redeeming qualities in this guy. Granted I never completed a God of War game, but his constant screaming and comical rage outbursts were a big turn off. His little sex mini games didn't help his case either. Definitely a male power fantasy character, so I can see why some like him, but he had zero redeeming qualities from what I saw.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm actually bad at following stories but aren't you kind of a dick as you play through Bloodborne?

Also yeah Trevor gta5 I still don't get how they can't just put " kill this guy right here and now" in a series that perfected open world .... Cuz I would have never played as Trevor even 1 minute if given real choice

Oct 27, 2017
Kratos is my least favorite character in video games. There are just no redeeming qualities in this guy. Granted I never completed a God of War game, but his constant screaming and comical rage outbursts were a big turn off. His little sex mini games didn't help his case either. Definitely a male power fantasy character, so I can see why some like him, but he had zero redeeming qualities from what I saw.
He's supposed to be a violent, self centered douche, but after two sequels, two portable games, and a prequel, his tragic flaws (in the Greek literature sense) quickly turned into a tired old schtick.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The main character of Chaos;Child establishes himself as an absolute tool from the get-go. He literally splits all of society into "right-siders" and "wrong-siders". How does he decide which one you go in, you ask? Well, the example he gives is that most people know the basic explanation of Schrodinger's Cat from sci-fi stories, but did you know that it's actually a criticism of quantum mechanics? Hope you did, because otherwise you're literally worthless in this guy's eyes!

Oh, and he lives in an RV in a park occupied by a load of homeless people. Thanks to the kindness and support of the park's occupants, he gets given the comfy, safe, warm RV.

One issue though - he's not actually homeless. He has a loving family who are almost literally begging for him to come back to them after he left for an incredibly petty reason, but he just blows them off and proceeds to mooch off of Tokyo's most destitute citizens.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Really cannot stand Aloy. Part of it is the voice acting and the way it feels like the actor is speed reading lines, as well as how those lines are incorporated in any given conversation (sounds very stilted or rushed). Another part is that just because she's the main protagonist, she's somehow more world-weary than everyone else she encounters, despite being a social outcast and essentially having any real social interaction with only a single other person her entire life. She's always snarky, even when the situation doesn't demand it and seems to actively look down on everyone she encounters. This would be somewhat understandable if it was only towards other Nora, but it's not. It's everyone. Guess that could just be her inner troglodyte from not being socially well adjusted though.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not a fan of games with unsympathetic characters or completely wooden boring ones, and more often than not both things go hand to hand, like aiden, connor and altair.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nathan Drake, he's utterly arrogant and unlikeable, can't understand how anyone likes him. He's the dictionary definition of an unfeeling sociopath.

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
All my dons mentioning Caim of Drakengard are right on the money. He represents what all these main characters in games should be where you slaughter thousands of enemies. Like why should you be all sympathetic in a cutscene and all of a sudden have a conscience? If you're gonna murder people at least take pride in it.

Still one of my absolute favourites and his appearance in Drakengard 2 was incredibly satisfying

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
200px-Terra_concept_art.png

I'm currently replaying Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I almost forgot just how awfully written and unsympathetic Terra is.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Caim in Drakengard is a psychopathic serial killer who even has no qualms about killing children, his own friends and thousands upon thousands of soldiers.
Nier is also a bit of a dick, I mean he'll do anything to save his daughter which is admirable in one way but you could also see that he really will do anything for his daughter. Single track mind.
Kane & Lynch just make mistakes all of the time with their crimes and put innocent people in danger they care about (and don't care about evidently). They're sociopathic and stupid but it's interesting to see what dark places their decisions will take them next.
Travis Touchdown is another one. He's an otaku who veers well into the "creepy otaku" territory, is always smug, of a one track mind and self righteous. I don't like him.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
You do know this is a Photoshop, right? This scene never happens in the game, and on the contrary I think this is around the part where Squall actually starts to open up and care about the people around him.
I do, but it cracks me up every time I see it, maybe I should've mentioned that it was fake... Still, it shows what most people didn't like about the character, be it in an exaggerated way.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Luke the protagonist of Tales of the Abyss. What a douche.

A crappy character with a completely unbelievable "turn-around" that somehow makes him become even more unbearable.

Tales of the Abyss' cast is largely trash all around, though in a very unique way to your usual JRPG cast.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Easy. Patroklos from Soul Calibur 5. Fuck that dude. He was a jackass, overly cocky, killed innocent people for no reason, and they tried to give him some half assed redemption? Nah.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Love them. Also "unsympathetic" is relative, it seems like a lot of people have problem understanding context. (Like Luke from ToA or Shion from Xenosaga)

Shion Uzuki

shion.jpg

Acts irrationally quite a bit and treats several characters while not getting over a bunch of stuff.

That's what happens when you have PTSD and your whole world comes crashing down.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos is the reason why I don't want to touch the God of War games, everything I see him in portrays him as such a meatheaded asshole that it completely turns me off from trying the game.