• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
That really sucks. At least it does alleviate some of my PS5 FOMO tho.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
as someone who doesn't want to buy Hitman digital, but still wants PSVR and also wants next-gen

I'd have to buy the game twice

well shit

to correct myself, because I had not seen this news 5 hours ago

HITMAN 3 physical editions will be fully supported by our free next-gen upgrade program, just like digital editions of the game.

Console players who pre-order or purchase a physical copy of HITMAN 3 (either Standard or Deluxe) on the current generation of consoles (PS4/Xbox One), will receive a free upgrade to the next-gen version of the game for no additional cost.

Here's how that'll work: When you insert your PS4 disc into your PS5, you'll be able to download the next-gen version of HITMAN 3 for no additional cost. Simply keep the disc in your machine whenever you want to play and you'll be good to go.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll still be stuck playing Hitman 3 on PSVR on my PS4 Pro?

Cause if the graphics aren't gonna be better, why use up all that PS5 hard drive space?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding the curfuffle.

You can play PS4 VR games on a PS5. There are just no "native PS5 VR games" yet.

Considering the limitations of PSVR (it's over 4 years old now) it makes sense to me. You can still use the old hardware to play PS4 VR stuff on PS5.
PS5 could be enhancing these VR titles with much higher resolutions and graphical effects.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
This actually makes sense. I wouldn't want VR games on PS5 to be held back by the limitations of PSVR on PS4. I say that as someone who is heavily invested into the PSVR ecosystem too. I'm willing to pay the price when it comes to uncomromised progress vs compatibility with old tech.

I'm so damn excited for PSVR 2.
...so you'd rather have no PS5 VR games at all for 2 years....than some VR?

These companies aren't going to go back and patch these PS5 games in two years time (assuming PSVR2 is ever actually released at all).

I'd rather see PS5 VR games now that make use of the old VR hardware but with the extra power of PS5...than be stuck with only PS4 powered games for the next couple of years.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
This not only doesn't make sense to read, it not only doesn't make sense at all, it now doesn't make sense with the stuff that has not made sense before the sense was made not at all......

I don't get it.

Oct 28, 2017
It makes sense considering PS4 controllers don't work with PS5 versions of games. The DualSense won't work with PSVR due to the repositioned lightbar. They should've made DualShock 4 compatible with PS5 games, but for whatever reason decided not to.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
They clarified it earlier:
uploadvr.com

No Man's Sky PS5 Confirmed, But PSVR Support Comes Via Backwards Compatibility

No Man’s Sky PS5 and Xbox One Series X versions have been confirmed. Hello Games’ popular sci-fi sim will arrive alongside both consoles on their respective launch dates in November. Each will be a free upgrade for existing owners and each comes with a host of improvements. No Man’
Ahh.. so to be clear, there is no PSVR support for PS5 games (yet), but you can still use PSVR on PS5 due to BC?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This not only doesn't make sense to read, it not only doesn't make sense at all, it now doesn't make sense with the stuff that has not made sense before the sense was made not at all......

I don't get it.

I wonder if we can get confirmation from IO Interactive, it's possible the Sony rep just didn't know what they're talking about in regards to this?

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Geez. This sucks real hard. Couldn't they port PSVR to PS5 and make PSVR games on PS5 support the Dualshock 4?

I mean Sony, do the work.

I'd rather they spent the time it would take to make that happen instead to make sure that PSVR 2 is ready by the the end of next year. With the kind of advancements that are happening or coming up in VR it makes sense not to look back but to look forward instead.

It's not like people can't play these games in VR on a PS5. You'll just play the PS4 versions with a PS4 controller. I feel this is a solid middle ground between not supporting PSVR at all which would have been ass and moving all the baggage and all the legacy issues over to PS5 without making a clean break which would have been ass too.

This will sound harsh and I feel any potential backlash is absolutely fair but giving developers the option to support PSVR in native PS5 apps would mean that in order to target the biggest install base possible 9 out 10 native PS5 VR games will be made with PSVRs limitations in mind. Sony is removing the lowest common denominator from the equation for the entire upcoming console generation and this could mean that we'll get room scale VR, games designed from the ground up for the new VR controllers with all the bells and whistles of the dual sense, games designed from the ground up with foveated rendering in mind with there barely being a barrier in terms of complexity between a regular TV and PSVR 2 game etc.

Yeah it sucks for people who were hoping their expensive PSVR headset would last through multiple generations but this will make sense once Sony decides to show off what PSVR 2 will be capable of.

Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand this at all. Is it because the Dual Sense doesn't have a light bar? Are they going to stop selling PSVRs then? Didn't they just start selling a new bundle in Japan or Europe (can't recall where)? But also, it feels like a reach for them interpret "We have not announced any new PSVR games for PS5" to mean "No new PSVR games for PS5 ever." But until I see a new PSVR game announced for PS5, I'll have to take their word for it.

All in all, super disappointing. Why can't they allow PS5 PSVR titles to use the DS4? I mean, PSVR relies on PS3 technology, so we've basically been using BC accessories this whole time. Incredibly frustrating for them to take such a hard stance on this without announcing a successor. And to think I spent so long trying to get the dumb adapter the other day.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh.. so to be clear, there is no PSVR support for PS5 games (yet), but you can still use PSVR on PS5 due to BC?

PS5 optimized games could make PSVR shine even more. It seems that this will not happen. Only running as backcompat games, that we don't even know yet if they'll have any performance gain or resolution boost.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
suppose I'm keeping my PS4 Pro around for Hitman 3, because the prospect of having both PS4 + PS5 versions installed so I can play PSVR (plus the Hitman 1/2 stages), that's entirely too much hard drive space for one game.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's what I figured based on the wording of the No Mans Sky update. And also just thinking about the logistics of DS4 vs Dualsense tracking etc.

On the plus side, it kind of only further induces the need for a new PSVR for PS5...

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I suppose the best we can hope for is that PS4 VR devs will start using dynamic resolutions in all their games ...to at least guarantee a nice resolution boost when played on the PS5.

The annoying thing is, you know full well the PS5 camera could track the aim controller/ move controllers/headset if they wanted it to...and plenty of VR games could be played with the Dualsense (as plenty of games don't use the lightbar, just sticks and buttons).

Last edited:

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe PS5 VR games require better hardware? Not sure why cross-gen games like Hitman won't be compatible though.

I thought 1440p was confirmed?
www.resetera.com

Will the Ps5 support 1440p?

Bumping this to say that I've heard, off the record, that PS5 does *not* support 1440p resolution. The person in question had their PS5 hooked up to a 1080p display, and the available resolutions were 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p. 2160p was greyed out and unavailable, implying that 1440p isn't...

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is why PSVR 2 should have been ready for console launch. Even if people would have been overwhelmed with too much stuff.

You simply can't "pause" the whole category of VR for 2-3 years, that will kill it.
It won't kill it, but Sony could be doing more on supporting PSVR for PS5.

PSVR2 was never going to be ready for PS5's launch; the tech they want in the headset is not possible at a consumer level yet. Given how they only really have one shot at a headset per generation, it needs to last the entire gen. If it was just a Quest 2 but without the standalone component, it would be more outdated at the end of PS5 than PSVR is today.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
What is going on about 1440p? I thought it supports 4k, doesn't it downscale to 1440p just fine?
People want native support for monitors.
www.resetera.com

Will the Ps5 support 1440p?

Bumping this to say that I've heard, off the record, that PS5 does *not* support 1440p resolution. The person in question had their PS5 hooked up to a 1080p display, and the available resolutions were 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 2160p. 2160p was greyed out and unavailable, implying that 1440p isn't...
Thank you for sharing this.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
PS5 could be enhancing these VR titles with much higher resolutions and graphical effects.

I mean, the PSVR is 1800x960/eye, so there's not a ton of resolution bumping you can do beyond maybe super sampling?

I completely agree that it would be cool if PSVR started getting further enhanced games via PS5, though. Knowing the limitations of the hardware, though (the PS Move is the controller and that's now over a decade old tech) I can see why Sony wants to start fresh with PSVR "2." I also wonder if devs are really in the mood to make another permutation of their game right now with COVID and a console launch (PS4, PS4 Pro, PS4 VR, PS4 Pro VR, PS5, and PS5 VR).

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I hadn't bought Star Wars squadrons now, because I was literally waiting on it to get a PS5 patch.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the PSVR is 1800x960/eye, so there's not a ton of resolution bumping you can do beyond maybe super sampling?

Keep in mind most PSVR games don't run at native display res for the headset, and I know for sure several that I've played are dynamic res because you can see them get visibly softer in certain scenes. That's partly why the WipEout Omega Collection looks so darn clear compared to other PSVR games, because it's native-res for both eyes.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Not the most graceful transition, here. Altho I wasn't expecting ps5 psvr1 games, anyhow.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I wish I hadn't bought Star Wars squadrons now, because I was literally waiting on it to get a PS5 patch.

I read elsewhere that Star Wars Squadrons and Dreams are two of the few PSVR games that use dynamic resolutions (no idea if it's true)...so there's a chance we'll see some improvement resolution wise at least.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the screen's maximum capabilities, What is the difference between a PS5 version of Hitman supporting PSVR and a patch to the PS4 version that takes advantage of the PS5 by allowing dynamic resolutions to stay maxed out or whatever?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
to correct myself, because I had not seen this news 5 hours ago

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I'll still be stuck playing Hitman 3 on PSVR on my PS4 Pro?

Cause if the graphics aren't gonna be better, why use up all that PS5 hard drive space?
SSD vs HDD and PS5's "Game Boost" capability. They've said that select PSVR games will benefit from it.

This was actually confirmed a while back before the game even came out.

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/07/29/star-wars-squadrons-ps5-series-x-upgrade-playstation-5-xbox/

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Well that explains the weird NMS wording on the update. This also rules out RE8 getting PSVR support if it is next-gen only.

I guess its fine as long as NMS and Hitman 3 are both able to tap into the full PS5 clocks.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
What could a PSVR2 add to the current headset? I'd imagine you could increase image resolution, but how much else is there to add, really?

The controllers are a completely different matter, though.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess there is a kind of "cleanness" of development if PSVR is still technically a PS4 accessory, BC with PS5... and then PS5VR(2) in a few years is it's own thing with totally new move controllers.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
www.psu.com

PS5's First Exclusive PSVR Title Is Cyberpunk RPG LOW-FI - PlayStation Universe

LOW-FI has been announced as the PS5's first exclusive PSVR title, with the game not set to be playable on PlayStation 4 systems.

Low-fi is not coming to PS4. Low-fi is coming to PSVR. Ergo, PS5 PSVR games can happen.

Yep, when I saw this, I figured Sony wouldn't be doing any specific "PS5 PSVR games" in favor of just focusing on PSVR 2 and indies that couldn't make it from PC due to PS4 being weak will just port those games digitally as PS5 specific VR games without releasing them for PS4 as well.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
...so you'd rather have no PS5 VR games at all for 2 years....than some VR?

These companies aren't going to go back and patch these PS5 games in two years time (assuming PSVR2 is ever actually released at all).

I'd rather see PS5 VR games now that make use of the old VR hardware but with the extra power of PS5...than be stuck with only PS4 powered games for the next couple of years.

I guess two years are more realistic but I was hoping that PSVR 2 would be Sony's big focus for 2021 with a release in Fall 2021. If they include even a third of the stuff that they've patented since PSVR came out it will simply make no sense whatsoever to even have the option to make a PSVR compatible PS5 game because VR games would always be anchored to Move Controllers, DS4's lightbar and a TV mounted camera based tracking solution in order to target the biggest audience possible. That's not a popular or very empathetic opinion but I hold it anyway.

Last edited:

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I dont get it. Why can't I just look at better graphics through my PSVR for games made for PS5?

This launch has me so hyped and bummed out at the same time. For fuck sakes why can't you just be clear about shit before its 2 weeks before launch you idiots.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The fact that a sizeable % of the PS4 games not working or having issues on BC in PS5 are PSVR games was pretty telling. There's definitely some compatibility issues in transitioning the existing PSVR hardware/software over to the PS5.

Since PSVR2 is probably still a few years away, I have a feeling Sony will spend some time in PS5 year 1 to work on fixing this issue. They're pretty committed to PSVR and having it barely function on the PS5 is a bad look.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
This really sucks.

I think this issue is that the PS5 can't support the DS4 for games and the camera can't read the DualSense. So if it's a PS5 PSVR game they can only use Move Controllers. Which Hitman 3 does not.

Absolutely boneheaded decision. Was gonna get Hitman 3 on PSVR but I don't want to swap between two different versions or play VR in last gen quality.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
So, NMS is still going to be a blurry mess on PSVR+PS5 or no?
For the most part, yes. However, I believe they can still patch in PS5 enhancements but it will never have a PS5 "VR compatible" SKU for physical editions.

This really sucks.

I think this issue is that the PS5 can't support the DS4 for games and the camera can't read the DualSense. So if it's a PS5 PSVR game they can only use Move Controllers. Which Hitman 3 does not.

Absolutely boneheaded decision. Was gonna get Hitman 3 on PSVR but I don't want to swap between two different versions or play VR in last gen quality.
Huh? You can use the DS4 for games on the PS5. THat's the only way you can play PS4 games on the PS5. You'll be able to connect the PS4 camera through the adapter Sony is giving PSVR users to continue to track both the Moves and DS4 while connected to the PS5.