Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From a development standpoint, I do sort of understand this. If they make PS5 VR games for PSVR1, they're sort of forced to support PSVR1 in some format for PS5 VR titles in future, even when PSVR2 is out (or have some messy "PSVR2 only" badge that people will miss). It makes it harder to develop games specifically around PSVR2's capabilities (presumably wireless and controllers that are 10 billion % better) when you need to take the first gen hardware into consideration as well.

I've been hoping for some PSVR1 gains on PS4 BC titles on PS5 through patches, though. Improved resolution and framerate consistency, etc. I'd be happy with that... and I'm hoping that the eventual PSVR2 will work through BC with PS4 PSVR games with whichever more reliable tracking tech it'll be using at least.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The headset isn't *just* a display. It's also an input device, and the PS5 SDK will need to support it. You can play PS4 games with a dual shock 4 on the PS5, but PS5 games aren't able to support the DS4.
Yes it's an I/O device - hence it's a matter of software to support it - not the other way around. Of course you need SDK support - that goes for the display also as VR output has it's own pipeline that comes with the SDK too.

Begs the question if it could be a question of still finalizing the 'nexgen' VR SDK itself.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
You can also increase resolution. There's still a benefit. Games running at 60 fps or 90 fps could run at a native 120 fps on PS5.
Similarly games with dynamic resolution should be able to max out their resolution at all times.

Is dynamic resolution much of a thing with PSVR? I think framerates need to be absolutely stable on PSVR as well.

Either way you're still talking about PSVR games being limited to PS4 Pro settings with it hitting framerate/resolution caps at best. A PS5 native game would be able to do so much more than that.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I'm genuinely very confused by this one. I know it hasn't been confirmed but weren't there a lot of rumours about RE8 in VR? Would be a bit crazy if that ends up happening but is played in a type of BC mode

yup. Hopefully Capcom themselves kill that rumor if it isn't real. You think they'd announce that by now, so I'm starting to wonder.

Anyway the writer seemed like they got confirmation that Hitman and No Man's Sky are using BC to use PSVR on PS5.

I'm not sure how they came to that clickbaity tweet from that info though. "We have not announced PS5 titles for PSVR" is kinda vague but it's different than what the article says: "no new PS5 games will support PSVR".

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose any new games can just have a PS4 Pro version then offer some additional options in the settings that are meant to take advantage of Game Boost.

yup. Hopefully Capcom themselves kill that rumor if it isn't real. You think they'd announce that by now, so I'm starting to wonder.

Anyway the writer seemed like they got confirmation that Hitman and No Man's Sky are using BC to use PSVR on PS5.

I'm not sure how they came to that clickbaity tweet from that info though. "We have not announced PS5 titles for PSVR" is kinda vague but it's different than what the article says: "no new PS5 games will support PSVR".

I mean it makes sense that there wouldn't be PS5 developed and using the full hardware games coming to PSVR since PSVR requires either a DS4 or Move controllers and we know Sony isn't allowing DS4 support on PS5 games. I would assume the same applies to the Move controllers.

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
What a bummer (but somewhat expected). I was very hyped for PS5 because of PSVR. Now it seems that will only support it only in BC mode.

My main concern is that if games like RE8 and GT7 get released in 2021 only for PS5 we will not see VR versions of them.

Also I'm not sure anymore that a PSVR2 will ever exist. I do not know why they can't confirm its in development. They are too silent about it (or better said too vage about it).

Will we ever be able to play a full Gran Turismo or a new Astro Bot in VR? I really hope so but right now it seems less likely.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sony believes in VR and just today Jim Ryan said there won't be a new VR device in 2021, meaning one is likely coming and it could be the following year.

There's no technical reason why the PS5 can't support native PSVR games, it would mean developers having to program in support.

Between now and PSVR2 I think we will see PS5 that take advantage of the hardware.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a bummer (but somewhat expected). I was very hyped for PS5 because of PSVR. Now it seems that will only support it only in BC mode.

My main concern is that if games like RE8 and GT7 get released in 2021 only for PS5 we will not see VR versions of them.

Also I'm not sure anymore that a PSVR2 will ever exist. I do not know why they can't confirm its in development. They are too silent about it (or better said too vage about it).

Will we ever be able to play a full Gran Turismo or a new Astro Bot in VR? I really hope so but right now it seems less likely.

I share your lack of enthusiasm. At least there's PCVR.. maybe RE8 will still get a VR mode on PC. (RE7 never did)

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sony "believing in generations," for VR will just fuck up the already pretty-fucked VR space evne more. Console generations themselves only work because there's enough of an install base to start from scratch twice a decade; with VR the install base is already tiny so asking people to invest more hundreds just to play what few 'PSVR2' titles exist simply won't work.

On a personal level this is just so, so disappointing. Can you imagine a world where Sony released a PSVR2 with wireless tracking that worked with, and improved, all the games you already own? That world ain't gonna happen.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
So, is the current PSVR going to be on life support, with ancient Move controllers, until PSVR2 launches?

Aug 10, 2020
Australia
Sony better be on the blower to make sure the PS5 games unlock the PS4 PSVR mode from the psstore if they're not on the disc, otherwise why even bother sending out free adaptors

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
People assume a PSVR2 coming soon but given Jim's comments from the other day, Sony may be just putting VR on the backburner for now.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This is a bit strange but I get it from a sales pov for whenever PSVR2 launches, why undercut the sales of that if people can just use the old headset too.

PSVR1 is one creaky headset at this point compared to what other hmds have been offering for years, I can totally understand why Sony wouldn't bother with legacy support for the first one on the new system. They want your money first, but the engineers will want you to have the best experience too. Not gonna get that with ancient single camera tracking and tracked controllers that don't even have analog sticks. Its time to play catchup and they realize this.

Still gonna be confusing for buyers of Hitman 3 but its cross buy so not a big deal.

Oct 25, 2017
People assume a PSVR2 coming soon but given Jim's comments from the other day, Sony may be just putting VR on the backburner for now.

I wouldn't take his comments that literally, they put out PSVR knowing it wouldn't be a huge success. Just because he thinks VR isn't going to be the "thing" for awhile doesn't mean they're waiting that long to release another headset.

I still think it's a couple years away but I don't take his comments to mean anything has changed with their plans for VR.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I've thought about this a bit more it mightn't be so bad.

I'm guessing these games are gonna be patched to take advantage of b\c boost mode on PS5.

Not as good as a native port but still using a bunch of that PS5 power.

Deleted member 22002

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda funny how my 2 pieces of VR hardware are getting killed by their own companies at the same time: one by cutting support, the other by requiring me to sign up to a geocide supporting-website.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
If they are dropping VR tech so fast they need to make the headsets cheaper. It is becoming not worth it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
www.psu.com

PS5's First Exclusive PSVR Title Is Cyberpunk RPG LOW-FI - PlayStation Universe

LOW-FI has been announced as the PS5's first exclusive PSVR title, with the game not set to be playable on PlayStation 4 systems.

Low-fi is not coming to PS4. Low-fi is coming to PSVR. Ergo, PS5 PSVR games can happen.

That's just an assumption at this point. Other reports about the game from RoadtoVR said the devs were actually targeting a next gen PSVR for PS5. With all the news that VR experiences for Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky actually require the use of the PS4 version, I have doubts they can make a PS5 only current PSVR game. If they wish to only target the PS5, it sounds like they will be waiting.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
This does just sound like PS5 SDK doesn't yet support PSVR natively, so the only way to use PSVR is to have the machine running in PS4 compatibility mode.

Once they have the SDK ready to just drive PSVR headset natively, support for native PS5 titles using PSVR should be possible.

That's the way I read it anyway. In the meantime devs can update their PS4 versions to smartly take advantage of the boost mode by adding more graphical flourish on top of just framerate.

It would be quite stupid for them to lock PS5 native VR to a new VR headset, there's your install base right there. Even after PSVR2 headsets are available, why not support it as an option for games that want to?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm not buying the PS4 version of Hitman 3. WTAF.

If this was going to be the case, they should find a way to let you download the PS4 version of the game if you put the PS5 disc in. I'd love to know where that "technical hurdle" sits, when the opposite is possible when you put the PS4 disc in the PS5.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
So, is the current PSVR going to be on life support, with ancient Move controllers, until PSVR2 launches?

This isn't ideal, but I STILL don't understand why Sony didn't support this set up for Move and VR games. (If they didn't want to design a new move controller with an analog stick) Hell I don't think they even support then Navi controller for the PSVR games right?

0abbe8_84fa2faa5d8445ce99cf0a3776e91f5a.gif

apples.gif

guns.gif

DualPLAY.png

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
www.psu.com

PS5's First Exclusive PSVR Title Is Cyberpunk RPG LOW-FI - PlayStation Universe

LOW-FI has been announced as the PS5's first exclusive PSVR title, with the game not set to be playable on PlayStation 4 systems.

Low-fi is not coming to PS4. Low-fi is coming to PSVR. Ergo, PS5 PSVR games can happen.
I think the developers will have a bad surprise soon... It's more likely that they don't know how it works at this point.

This is very sad news :(

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I wish they (Sony) had firmer and clearer plans that explained the approach to psvr owners (assuming they value them).

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I certainly won't buy another VR device from Sony if they only support it for barely 4 years.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This isn't ideal, but I STILL don't understand why Sony didn't support this set up for Move and VR games. (If they didn't want to design a new move controller with an analog stick) Hell I don't think they even support then Navi controller for the PSVR games right?

0abbe8_84fa2faa5d8445ce99cf0a3776e91f5a.gif

apples.gif

guns.gif

DualPLAY.png
They managed to release the AIM controller, but somehow managed to completely miss the target by not fixing the Moves. That's quite a novel solution to the problem, BTW. From what I recall from testing a while back, the Navi controllers were recognised, but no games used them - this could be different now.

However, they could've easily released an updated Move with thumbsticks, like they did to the original PS1 controller with the Dual Analogue partly through its generation. They weren't coasting with the PS1 like they are with PSVR.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I am still not convinced that there will be a PSVR2. PSVR released when there was the "VR hype" going on with Vive, Oculus etc.
Sony released a VR headset like "we have it too!" and reused half assed tech from yesteryear with the PS Moves.(was a good opportunity to clear warehouse stock of that)

it was like a proof of concept, an experiment, if seen from a cynical perspective it was a "lets milk some people who want VR on consoles" moment, considering the real good games can be counted on one hand. it is/was like the Mega CD, neat for a short amount of time, after that you realize there is not much to play and the "wow effect" is already diminishing.

no one knows if VR in gaming will have a bright future, it is not even about the tech, it is about developing compelling games for it. games take longer than ever to make, no dev/publisher has time/resources to develop a really big VR game besides normal games

i wouldn´t be surprised if new VR on PS5 never happens.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The headset isn't *just* a display. It's also an input device, and the PS5 SDK will need to support it. You can play PS4 games with a dual shock 4 on the PS5, but PS5 games aren't able to support the DS4.

We don't know if that's the case for the PSVR.
I mean, you can use PSVR on PC with some programs... you really want to tell me that there was NO way to let it work with PS5 game? Cmon...

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think it means much at this point, but let's hope it does mean they had a dev kit and weren't just building it under the assumption.

Oof.

This whole thing is a bit messy. How are new VR titles going to be supported? Are they all going to be ps4 games? I would definitely like them to have a generational break with the psvr2, but in the meantime, they surely won't drop support for future titles?

One of the main reasons I looked forward to ps5 is the potential for a better psvr experience.

I also hope that a psvr2 would play psvr1 games

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I mean, you can use PSVR on PC with some programs... you really want to tell me that there was NO way to let it work with PS5 game? Cmon...
No, I'm not telling you that. I'm telling you Sony need to allow it and right now we don't know if they do. You can use a Dualshock 4 on PC too. Doesn't change that you can't play PS5 games with it, no matter what the devs might want.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
No, I'm not telling you that. I'm telling you Sony need to allow it and right now we don't know if they do. You can use a Dualshock 4 on PC too. Doesn't change that you can't play PS5 games with it, no matter what the devs might want.
Ah ok, that's for sure, Sony willingly decided to kill the PSVR with PS5, it's pretty clear.
I don't get why tho... isn't like they have announced PSVR 2.0, in the contrary they said it's far away, if it ever will be released.

I think that the major swift happened once they decided to get rid of the light bar on the DualSense, at that point your were cutting off all PSVR games that needed the controller tracking to work, like Astrobot.

Second cut was get rid of the proprietary port of the camera... (and forcing the adapter request) and even worse make the new camera NOT compatible with PSVR/DS4/Moves. Why that?

All seems to be tied to a fresh start, but it's a shame that Sony ditched their VR support just like that, when there are still unsold PSVR out there that could have been used regularly on PS5 with much better graphic despite the screen resolution.

I think that Sony has seen that PSVR wasn't that profitable after all and killed it.
It's a big shame tho not giving options to developers and customer to enjoy a better experience with it with native PS5 games...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like this is the biggest indictment against Sony's commitment. Why doesn't this exist for PS5? Obviously it would be fairly easy to create an SDK that supported the legacy input and whatever they were working on for PSVR2. Sony's hardware/software divisions are way larger than Valve and they'd only have to support two devices. Valve's skeleton crew has created an SDK that supports a huge variety of tracking systems and HMDs.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a former PSVR owner for which it was my gateway to VR (now a Rift S user), this disappoints me greatly. While I'm not personally negatively affected by it, how they support PSVR between now and if/when they release a successor is going to say a lot. If they're going to release a VR headset half-way through a generation then cut it off when the new generation starts, that's not going to give people, myself included, much confidence to support their proprietary VR endeavours going forward.

Frankly, at this point I think Sony (and Microsoft for that matter) should just release some sort of VR breakout box with multiple sockets (HDMI, DisplayPort, extra USB and such) on it that will let you plug in any supported third party VR headset. They should focus their efforts on the API and the software more than anything else and let their customers connect whatever equipment they already own.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I think the BC story with PS5 naturally leads to this uncomfortable situation with PSVR support. Like others, I want to know if this basically means a total lack of VR content for the next few years or if there will at least be some token efforts in 2021.
uploadvr.com

PlayStation CEO: 'The Future Of VR' Won't Arrive In 2021

In an interview with The Washington Post’s gaming vertical, Launcher, Sony Interactive Entertainment / PlayStation President and CEO Jim Ryan said in an interview published today that he does not believe VR will be a “meaningful component of interactive entertainment” for some time still...
Those comments lead me to believe PSVR2 or whatever is a ways out - maybe not even in 2022. Maybe missing the launch generation of PS5 altogether and launching with a PS5 Pro? I guess we will have to wait and see.

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of kills my hopes for VR. Was hoping PS5 would have an upgrade ready close to launch but here we are.

May 24, 2019
It was rare to find a PSVR game that wasn't visually compromised on the PS4, so it would have been nice for the new gen to really let us use the thing without compromises.
Maybe the BC titles could be updated to push native res and 120hz to it if they weren't before?