• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Some of y'all are so far in the political bubble you got no clue what happens outside it.

My local news (two different channels) covered Sen. Warren's statement and video today. The framing was "Trump said this about her, used a slur against her. Sen. Warren had said she had native american ancestry, and her test today prove it" followed by Trump saying "who cares." No one gives two shits about what people who call her Pocahontas think. They're racist idiots who are completely irrelevant to Warren's ambitions. To those on the left who were upset by this (and I think the claim of cultural appropriation is really, really outlandish in this instance) this wasn't meant for you either.

Basically, Warren had a story in her past that could be used as an attack against her, and Trump was doing it. She had two choices: ignore it and let speculation be wielded against her, or address it. As we saw with the stupid email non issue thing, you can make a non issue an issue if you let the right get to repeat it enough.

So, she elected to address it. Again, you have two options here: say you made a mistake on the form and shouldn't have claimed the status OR prove that the stories you were told as a child were true, and you DO, in fact, have some native ancestry in your family. The first option is rife with problems. It leaves you open to attack for lying to get an advantage, or being untrustworthy. When your excuse for something is "I did something wrong" that's a harder thing to get out of. Instead, she proved that, yes, she has a small part of her who is an indigenous person. Now, you can pivot those attacks that Trump will throw right back at him, and you can continually reference the fact he promised a million dollars to a charity of her choice if she took a DNA test.

This was not done for the idiots who call her Pocahontas. This was not done for people on the left who refresh Twitter 30 times an hour. This was done for your Joe Blow who pays attention to politics superficially while watching the evening news waiting on Wheel to start. And if you don't think this was focused grouped to hell and back, then idk what to tell you.

(And to be clear, I have no preference for 2020, outside not Bernie and not Biden.)

This is my thought. This is a significant win as far as the man-in-the-street goes. And I've long been skeptical of Warren and would still prefer Gillibrand or Harris, though I think Warren's jumped to third on my list of the serious contenders.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
That statement alone is actually very disagreeable. Native americans had/have DNA just like everybody else. They'd prefer to have autonomous control over who can claim membership. I get that desire. But DNA is DNA -- certainly good enough for a "vague" connection.

But seriously, looking at the statement as a whole instead of one sentence taken out of context -- I don't think you can genuinely say they weren't implying she claimed membership. If they wanted to give valuable background info they could have clarified how that background info didn't apply to Warren's situation.
I think I can genuinely say they weren't implying she claimed membership because that's the crux of their statement. You can't say "But DNA is DNA -- certainly good enough for a "vague" connection.", but that's not really understanding their arguments. There's more to being Native American than a DNA test, and this has long been an argument of Native American communities, especially in Oklahoma. And Warren didn't actually engage head on with the criticisms on the left and from the Native American communities, just the bad faith ones.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...s-no-dna-test-to-prove-youre-native-american/

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...she received benefits she did not deserve, and exploited the system in order to exploit one of the most disadvantaged groups in this country. She deserves to be criticized and frankly should have apologized a long time ago. Does this mean she should be exiled into the netherland for daring to not be perfect? Of course not.
Can you provide a link to a news story or a site that she received benefits she did not deserve because of this?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to understand the meltdown in the Stormy Daniels losing the defamation case thread. That wasn't the main case Daniels had against Trump, IIRC. And wasn't the defamation case kind've a long shot anyways?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think I can genuinely say they weren't implying she claimed membership because that's the crux of their statement. You can't say "But DNA is DNA -- certainly good enough for a "vague" connection.", but that's not really understanding their arguments. There's more to being Native American than a DNA test, and this has long been an argument of Native American communities, especially in Oklahoma. And Warren didn't actually engage head on with the criticisms on the left and from the Native American communities, just the bad faith ones.

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...s-no-dna-test-to-prove-youre-native-american/

Yeah maybe before doing this she should have spoken with the people you know she claims to have an affinity for.

Going after her with the idea that she's making Trump look good is bullshit (which again is really what most are actually upset about), but trying to downplay criticism coming from the very people at the centre of this, that's also bullshit

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Good thing I'm not doing that.

No shit, and I wasn't talking about you originally, yet you felt the need to @ me, so I replied.

I don't think what she did was wrong, but I think this whole mess was completely pointless and basically tanked her already slim 2020 chances.

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about. It's like people forgot all the daily bullshit that was supposed to torpedo winning Democratic presidential campaigns.

I feel like a nice midterm win is what we need to take the edge off.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some confusion here, so just to clarify, "intersectionality" does not mean "you can't criticize women for being racist."

Oct 27, 2017
You should also know this is going over extremely poorly with the Native American community. If you want to keep saying that this is because of sexism, you're welcome to, but you're ignoring actual leftist critiques by believing these critiques are sexist.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1051860828889047040

I'm sorry the Cherokee nation hasn't been, and isn't getting attention they perhaps deserve more of. But this isn't leftist criticism so much as it is hanging on to an issue made public. Were they so interested in reaching out, they would have told Trump to can it and tell everyone what it means to have respect for others and what it means to know where you come from. Instead they wait for the woman to say something, then they come out and criticize THAT. Good job.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also you can take her to task and not claim she's now disqualified from running and "done"

Though again that is also coming mostly from the people who only want to examine this through the Trump lens

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry the Cherokee nation hasn't been, and isn't getting attention they perhaps deserve more of. But this isn't leftist criticism so much as it is hanging on to an issue made public. Were they so interested in reaching out, they would have told Trump to can it and tell everyone what it means to have respect for others and what it means to know where you come from. Instead they wait for the woman to say something, then they come out and criticize THAT. Good job.

Man I wish I'd waited sixty seconds to make my last post

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Omg are you for serious haha.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ou0jbsQlff1rzdjnmo1_250.gif

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

It takes some serious effort to twist this so that now Warren is being victimized by the sexist Cherokee Nation.

Congratulations

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You should also know this is going over extremely poorly with the Native American community. If you want to keep saying that this is because of sexism, you're welcome to, but you're ignoring actual leftist critiques by believing these critiques are sexist.

But that's literally the criticism that was leveled against her. By the president.

*bangs head against desk*

Why do we live in a world where Republicans can define the cultural heritage (or religion. Or race. Or gender) of others, then those people get mocked for being defensive about it? Can you imagine the outrage if a democratic candidate attacked Trump with something along the lines of "your family isn't really German you fucking mutt, and you talk like a Catholic." Would the outrage be against Trump for correcting the record with a blood test and receipts?

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

Many Native American tribes have come out against Trump's statements against Warren. Trying to police them about how they criticize Warren and then saying that it's sexist if they do is really shitty.

Oct 25, 2017
But that's literally the criticism that was leveled against her. By the president.

Why do we live in a world where Republicans can define the cultural heritage (or religion. Or race. Or gender) of others, then those people get mocked for being defensive about it? Can you imagine the outrage if a democratic candidate attacked Trump with something along the lines of "your family isn't really German you fucking mutt, and you talk like a Catholic." Would the outrage be against Trump for correcting the record with a blood test and receipts?
Like a lot of things. People really just don't like getting called on their bullshit. There's a lot of knee-jerkin' in response.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of sexism, especially again in the rush to declare her candidacy cancelled, but it ain't coming from the fucking Cherokee Nation

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, it's early, but

• Carolyn Long is a political science professor who has never run for office before.48% favorable rating; 20% unfavorable; 33% don't know

Based on 51 interviews

• Jaime Herrera Beutler is the incumbent, first elected in 2010.39% favorable rating; 30% unfavorable; 31% don't know

Based on 51 interviews

Seems like Jaime Herrera Beutler is super unknown for an incumbent. Not great for her.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

I legitimately don't understand this argument.

Trump's attacks on Warren, which are bad-faith and inescapable because they're just bullshit, are separable from the Native American criticisms of Warren, which are real and valid and completely unaddressed.

Are we not allowed to talk about the latter because Trump once talked about something similar?

Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of sexism, especially again in the rush to declare her candidacy cancelled, but it ain't coming from the fucking Cherokee Nation
Yeah. You can call out certain groups for hating the DNA test move, from groups that don't like her because they are sexist or because she's a threat to a candidate they want to run/win, but from the Cherokee Nation?

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/i/events/1051860828889047040

I am missing how the statements in the second one make them seem mutually exclusive. And I went to read more of what Emmy Scott was saying and she quotes this statement that basically paints DNA as some sort of conspiracy by whites to control other people's identities.

This link is a much more down to earth representation of how DNA is not 100% and how biology and culture are complicated, but it also doesn't really back up what you say it does. In that link, they talk about how they do rely in part on DNA testing. You're right, as the link points out, DNA isn't the whole story -- but Warren isn't saying DNA is the whole story either.

Something that seems to get lost is that Warren's not relying on this DNA test alone for her story. In the video she talks about how her mother's family was discriminated against because they were part native american. That takes her family history beyond the typical folklore white families tell themselves. She has DNA evidence and family history behind her claim -- she can't prove her claim, but Cherokee Nation can't disprove her claim either.

But I agree that Warren didn't do a good enough job addressing criticisms from the left -- I already pointed out that she was defending herself from attacks on the right.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, it's early, but

• Carolyn Long is a political science professor who has never run for office before.48% favorable rating; 20% unfavorable; 33% don't know

Based on 51 interviews

• Jaime Herrera Beutler is the incumbent, first elected in 2010.39% favorable rating; 30% unfavorable; 31% don't know

Based on 51 interviews

Seems like Jaime Herrera Beutler is super unknown for an incumbent. Not great for her.
Not surprising. JHB is just kind of... second-tier.

I wish Lisa Brown had run against her instead of against CMR. She's a much better opponent, even though I like Long.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Again there's zero indication Warren spoke with the Cherokee Nation before doing this, hey maybe she should have done that eh?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Ok, some of y'all need to rethink some of these posts. It's smelling very right wing in here.

There's a lot of good-faith criticisms being aimed at Warren from the very community she claims affinity for. And so I say an oft-repeated phrase to allies: if you are allies, when minorities are speaking about their cultures and history and perspective, the best thing you can do is shut-all-the-way-the-hell-up and listen. Not sweep it under the rug, or lump it all with obvious bad-faith criticisms because it's being aimed at whoever your darling politician of the moment is.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. You can call out certain groups for hating the DNA test move, from groups that don't like her because they are sexist or because she's a threat to a candidate they want to run/win, but from the Cherokee Nation?
Heh. Tribes are families for the most part, with a bit of corporation thrown in the mix. Genetic testing is gonna monkey-wrench a whole fuckload of shit up.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
We're 94 responses in and Donna Shalala is up 55-33.

Shalandslide

Shalala2020

Status
Not open for further replies.