• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Robert Costa @costareports

WashPost asks Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) if he's thinking about challenging Pelosi for speaker.

"I don't have any intention of doing that, but haven't ruled it out, either," Ryan says. "We're having conversations with new members, asking them about what they think."

Pelosi is a shoe-in.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Also, TX, your turnout is fucking atrocious.

And this year was us on voting on steroids. Democracy in Texas is tragic. There are tons of Hispanics who have never voted or even registered. They just want to work hard and make a decent life but have no interest in voting to make that easier. Then there are all of the recent transplants who don't have any investment in the political system. The state makes it as hard as possible to get these people voting.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The 2020 Senate Map:

My7gSry.png

Maine, NC, Iowa, Arizona, Colorado are doable.
Maaaaaybe Georgia and Louisiana.
Kansas just went crazy, so why not try?
Democratic incumbents couldn't hold on in red states in a Trump midterm, there's not much reason to think we can expand the map beyond those first 5 in 2020.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
I've accepted the fact that the default state of this country is to trust the GOP until they really fuck up, in which case the Dems gets voted in just long enough to clean up the mess. Then get voted out again. Rinse and repeat.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

WSJ: Pentagon Dropping Use of 'Faithful Patriot' as Name for Border Deployment

WASHINGTON—The Pentagon no longer will publicly refer to its border mission by the name "Operation Faithful Patriot," officials said Wednesday, dropping a moniker some saw as having political overtones tied to the midterm elections.

Troops instead are expected to call the deployment of nearly 8,000 active-duty troops along three border states by phrases such as "in support of Customs Border Protection," the officials said.

A determination about the name change, decided by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis's office, was issued on Election Day, the officials said. The Pentagon didn't immediately respond to a request seeking comment about the name change.

The Pentagon has rebuffed suggestions that the border troop mission, mentioned repeatedly by President Trump in campaign speeches about migrants and asylum seekers, is politically motivated. The name was drafted by the U.S. Northern Command, which is responsible for the continental U.S.

The officials, citing a possible reason for the name change, said the deployment isn't an "operation," like military missions involving combat, but is being undertaken in support of another government agency.

The effects of the name change were already in effect on the Defense Department media page, which began using the new phrase Tuesday afternoon in photos captions and videos.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

WashPost asks Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio) if he's thinking about challenging Pelosi for speaker.

"I don't have any intention of doing that, but haven't ruled it out, either," Ryan says. "We're having conversations with new members, asking them about what they think."

Good

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Wait, ya'll acting like last night was bad?
Why?

Democrat derangement syndrome. Everyone said the Dems were going to clean up House races and that Beto/ the Senate were 1 in 5 longshots at best due to an unfavorable map.

Losing a few tight races for governor stings but it's not the end of the world. Everything not breaking our way all at once isn't a signal to abandon hope.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
yup.

this is both a wave and a realignment in one election.
It really was Virginia all over again, although in Virginia it was all upside for us.

Case in point, Weigel's tweet about Cordray winning more votes than Kasich. Same thing happened in reverse with Gillespie and McAuliffe.

Democrat derangement syndrome. Everyone said the Dems were going to clean up House races and that Beto/ the Senate were 1 in 5 longshots at best due to an unfavorable map.

Losing a few tight races for governor stings but it's not the end of the world. Everything not breaking our way all at once isn't a signal to abandon hope.
The number of people still saying we need to give up on Florida is so dumb. Both of the major races were lost by less than a point. This is literally no different from Obama's win in 2012 or Trump's win in 2016. The state is clearly just very polarized and inelastic.

Like for the presidency the Midwest path is still the easiest (win MN/MI/WI/PA) but giving up on a huge state that routinely picks its winners by less than 1% is shortsighted and reactionary.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I can't handle work this morning. Multiple people mouthing off that the Democrats better not just go after Trump. They need to just make laws and get stuff done instead of playing games with our government and dragging it all into the mud.

so hey, that's good.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did some phonebanking for Gillum in Florida and I can tell you that the number one reason I heard people tell me they weren't voting for him was his "Anti-Israel" stance.
yeah and to be fair the governor of Florida really has lot of sway in our relationship with Israel.

i hate this country

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017

Frank Thorp V @frankthorp

On the oversight House democrats have said they would do with their new majority, McConell warns them against "presidential harassment," saying "it might not be a smart strategy."

a new term today from McConnell, when talking about scrutiny of President Trump by congressional Democrats: "presidential harassment"

He repeats it a few times at this news conference. Clearly a new talking point.

Yeah really. What kinda assholes would want an entire party to dig in their heels and yell no to everything the president wants to accomplish, stalling any progress for several years. All while harassing him on a daily basis via their various media outlets.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Beto is the exception, though I wouldn't put him far to the left of Obama. The guy is charismatic, but pretty moderate.

He wants to legalize marijuana.
He wants to abolish ICE.
He wants universal healthcare.

His policies are basically as far to the left in this country as you can get.

If anything, Beto shows policy matter less than charisma and running a massive GOTV campaign.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He wants to abolish ICE.

If anything, Beto shows policy matter less than charisma and running a massive GOTV campaign.
those are all mainstream, moderate positions. "far left" in texas maybe

also note that when he says he wants universal healthcare =/= single payer

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking it's probably best for national Dems to keep talking about civility bs. Not act on it, just talk about it.

We're not gonna win the senate without saying sweet nothings to awful white people after last night. Once we get it we can add more states and tell them to fuck off.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gillum lost because south Florida, for some reason, didn't give him the same margins they gave Hillary. People criticized Hillary's strategy in a lot of places, but she understood you needed to maximize those urban votes in Florida to have any prayer, and Gillum didn't do that. Dems need to figure out a way to blend her campaign's turnout machine with Gillum's statewide message.

Oct 25, 2017
He wants to abolish ICE.

YES, this too.

Our candidate needs to be on the ground everywhere, even holding down the gap in rural votes as much as possible. Travel everywhere, pitch a big economic plan that is helpful to rurals and urbans alike, and be entertaining and good-looking.

Go to the counties where you're losing by fifty and only lose by forty-five, and then get people excited about you and drive up your numbers elsewhere. Beto can do this, actually, but he's probably going to wait a bit.

those are all mainstream, moderate positions. "far left" in texas maybe

also note that when he says he wants universal healthcare =/= single payer

Ending ICE is definitively NOT a mainstream or moderate position based on polling. UHC might be, but only if you pitch it as a Medicare expansion

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
GOP already getting their talking point about Congressional investigations

new term today from McConnell, when talking about scrutiny of President Trump by congressional Democrats: "presidential harassment"

He repeats it a few times at this news conference. Clearly a new talking point.

Expect to hear it on Fox News a lot in the next few months.

Mac_Lane

Oct 29, 2017
Paris, France
Tester pulling ahead, nice !

Still hoping for a Sinema win.

And possibly a Nelson hold, even if that seems far-fetched at this point in time. That'd be 52-48. Absolute best we can hope for now.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES, this too.

Our candidate needs to be on the ground everywhere, even holding down the gap in rural votes as much as possible. Travel everywhere, pitch a big economic plan that is helpful to rurals and urbans alike, and be entertaining and good-looking.

Go to the counties where you're losing by fifty and only lose by forty-five, and then get people excited about you and drive up your numbers elsewhere. Beto can do this, actually, but he's probably going to wait a bit.

Ending ICE is definitively NOT a mainstream or moderate position based on polling. UHC might be, but only if you pitch it as a Medicare expansion
I had to google it. Really disappointed that abolishing ice isn't more popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.