• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Burgess Everett
@burgessev

Sasse voted no: "Today's resolution doesn't fix anything because the root problem here can't be fixed with bare-knuckled politics but rather with a deliberate debate about the powers that Congress has been giving away and that the Executive has therefore claimed."

3:15 PM - Mar 14, 2019

I.... I don't think anyone expected this to "fix" the root problem. I'm sure Sasse is going to help devise legislation that does!

Oct 27, 2017

Burgess Everett
@burgessev

Sasse voted no: "Today's resolution doesn't fix anything because the root problem here can't be fixed with bare-knuckled politics but rather with a deliberate debate about the powers that Congress has been giving away and that the Executive has therefore claimed."

Nothing expresses your dismay over a usurpation of Congressional power quite like not exercising your Congressional power

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On point one-- a life saving operation isn't the same thing as a long-odds candidacy. Which at his best is all her was.

On point two-- agreed, although I don't know that that's the reason. I remember Obama backing off a promise to not take PAC support, but not any change about his position on public financing.

Third point-- candidates publicize it because voters like it. Voters like it because it presumably implies less infulence in politics. Which we should like!

And your point about stopping donating to democrats is a bad one, because it's basically like not voting against Trump. Woo hoo, we'll show those lousy politicians what we think by helping elect the worst candidates! Yay!

Last, people who donate donate. Nobody is forcing them. Nobody is taking away money from the needy.
In order -
1. I'm willing to bet a lot that like a 5 mil for Beto is less meaningful than a lot of his small donations were to the people who gave it to him. But while we all accept people with more students debt that net worth giving money to millionaires, said millionaires actually tapping their immense wealth so apply to an amazingly lucrative job is beyond the pale.

2. https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/20/us/politics/20obama.html

3. Yes , and I'm trying to get voters to like it less because I think it's counter productive.

Lastly, while it's true that no one is forcing people to donate, those campaigns operate very sophisticated campaigns designed to nag, guilt and scare people into donating, I don't think you can just hand wave that stuff with like "yeah, free choice". You're also ignoring the effect this stuff has.

p.s.
I know campaigns like Beto love to imply that Trump's gonna win if some poor college kid won't give their beer money, but I really really don't think that's true.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017

Burgess Everett
@burgessev

I don't think this will make the problem get any better so I voted to make the problem worse - Ben "the ass" Sasse

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Schumer tries to pass resolution calling for Mueller report to be made public, which passed 420-0 in the House today. But Lindsey Graham objects to the non-binding measure and asks for it to be amended to call for a new special counsel to investigate how FBI carried out probes

15:27 - 14 Mar 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Dems should just call graham's bluff. As long as a professional looks into it, they won't find anything.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As always, it's going to be hilarious when Beto finishes 4th in Iowa after being attacked by Bernie fans, while Biden wins with 45% of the vote.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Wonder if Trump is dumb enough he thinks he just has to yell VETO! on twitter and that makes it happen. Maybe no one will tell him that's not how it works.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Sasse is the biggest fraud in the senate and really fuck Colbert for going so soft on him when he brought him on. CC Colbert would never have done that garbage

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Dude who voted for Andrew Cuomo over Cynthia Nixon is on FB calling Beto a neoliberal bootlicker

Fucking lmao

Just goes to illustrate the problem. People like to shit on moderates but when actually presented with the bill for what progressive policies they want on the local level they baulk

Status
Not open for further replies.