• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
She knows she is fucked. I think she got blindsided by this, as did apparently other Senators like Kennedy who made a giant fool of himself on CHUCK FUCKING TODD. At least Simply Susan has the sense not to say anything right away.
But object to putting a rapist on the Supreme Court and she becomes a distaff Tolstoy.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

John Roberts @johnrobertsFox

A Senior Administration Official tells @FoxNews that if it is legally possible to release the whistleblower complaint to Congress, the @WhiteHouse will do it ASAP

8:20 PM - Sep 24, 2019

Renato Mariotti @renato_mariotti

It's legally required. Executive privilege is not an acceptable excuse to withhold the whistleblower complaint in this scenario. https://twitter.com/johnrobertsfox/status/1176652709577056256 …

8:21 PM - Sep 24, 2019

They're playing games

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
ap-18171637412219.jpg

"I got your number."

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say that feels long overdue, wasn't it supposed to happen by now
It will happen whenever the court decides to issue its ruling.

Then it's off to SCOTUS, which is basically the roll of (possibly loaded) dice at this point. Lots of uncertainty for 20M (as well as 10s of millions more who benefit from ACA reforms).

If it happens, it would be stayed. Devastating (politically speaking) but no actual measurable harm as far as i understand it
Pending appeal to SCOTUS.

If the appeals court challenges standing, SCOTUS may just decline to hear it at all. And even if SCOTUS does take it up, there's every reason to fear a bad outcome.

The harm may not be immediate, but it is very real.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the hits keep coming!

I still can't get over that he largely survived the Mueller report but this could be his undoing. Just incredible.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might be worth revisiting the timeline here. (apologies to whoever I saw this one from before on here, this thread moves too fast).

7/24- Trump has phone call with Ukrainian President Zelensky. One week prior he instructed mulvaney to ensure a 400 million aid package approved by congress doesn't get to Ukraine.

7/28- Trump announces that Dan Coats, Director of National Intelligence is stepping down. This is read as Trump forcing out Coats, the two haven't been seeing eye to eye.

7/31- Trump has a phone call with Putin. This is the the one that was supposedly about "vast wildfires affecting siberia."

8/3- Trump requests a list of all active top spies from the office of the director of national intelligence. Remember, this is Coats' office and Coats is on his way out.

8/7- Jon Huntsman abruptly resigns his position as US abassador to Russia, presumably to "spend time with family."

8/8- (and this is the weird one) CNN reports that on 8/8 Coats interrupts a meeting that his deputy Sue Gordon was giving on election security to convince her that she should resign. Sue Gordon is a well respected 30 year veteran of the intelligence community. Whatever Coats said to her, her plans "change suddenly" and she issues her resignation on the spot within minutes of this discussion, resigning in tandem with Coats.

8/12- A Whistleblower issues a formal complaint about Trump's behavior to the office of the director of national intelligence- again, the same office Sue and Dan just resigned from.

9/9- CNN breaks a story, Putin has publicly outed the identity of a former CIA asset, extradited from russia in 2017. Said asset is living in Washington DC and may now be a target. Worth noting that Putin has been hunting former moles for the past year and absolutely is responsible for several killings and attempted killings in the UK of similar former agents.

9/10- National Security Advisor John Bolton attempts to resign. Trump fires him instead.

9/13- Schiff goes public with a complaint that ODNI is illegally witholding a whistleblower complaint from house intelligence.

Can anyone seriously look at this timeline and say there's "nothing there" or that Trump pressuring Zelensky (which Guiliani and Trump freely admit to while trying their damndest to keep the complaint from congress) is even the biggest thing in the complaint?

Weird? I would say more like fucking horrifying.

Like, what the hell could have possibly been said in a couple of minutes that makes a 30 year veteran resign at the drop of a hat?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think that the political calculus has finally shifted enough for Republicans that it is more politically expedient for them to throw Trump to the wolves than to continue shielding him?
I'm still not quite sure what to make of it.

Also, a year or two from now, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think Pelosi will be vindicated for how she timed this.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think that the political calculus has finally shifted enough for Republicans that it is more politically expedient for them to throw Trump to the wolves than to continue to shielding him?

Also, a year or two from now, and with the benefit of hindsight, I think Pelosi will be vindicated for how she timed this.

If this destroys Trump or badly damages him- No one will remember that she waited this long, on that I agree.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Weird? I would say more like fucking horrifying.

Like, what the hell could have possibly been said in a couple of minutes that makes a 30 year veteran resign at the drop of a hat?

If Coats was planning on turning whistleblower on an impeachable offense, the entire Office of National Intelligence as well as the entire Trump adminstration would have become a shitstorm. Careers would be ruined, people would be going to jail. You wouldn't want to be anywhere near when that happened, and Trump didn't like Gordon at all because she was not a trump "loyalist."

here's the CNN article on the Coats/Gordon thing. Read this and tell me that "something is horribly wrong" doesn't come to mind.

There is NO WAY that's just Biden.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Bolton definitely fucking knew. Dude is evil as sin itself and yet he suddenly resigned. This wasn't about Iran. There was something else, and it's this. He knew this was going to be a thing and decided to get out before he'd be entangled in it too.

But object to putting a rapist on the Supreme Court and she becomes a distaff Tolstoy.
I think she realizes her MAGA agenda isn't gonna work with this in regard to Maine voters. Something is different here.

WAPO WITH THE NIGHTTIME OPPO DROPPO

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think that the political calculus has finally shifted enough for Republicans that it is more politically expedient for them to throw Trump to the wolves than to continue shielding him?

It's not at that point, but it's at the point that grifters like Simply Susan and Lindsey are staying silent. Only Congressional MAGA morons won't shut their trap.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
"John Bolton... welcome to THE RESISTANCE."
I don't think it's that. I think he just didn't want to get caught up in this bullshit. He didn't come out of semi-retirement to deal with this shit. He just wanted to fuck around with the Middle East. He didn't want to deal with blatantly illegal shit that could easily be surfaced (because Trump and his admin are so incompetent as opposed to during the Dumbya years) that could implicate him simply due to his title.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Unless SCOTUS does the wrong thing
Which they probably will

So many people are going to suffer. The only comfort I could get out of this is knowing SCOTUS would be handing the Senate to Democrats. And if we don't get Biden as our nominee, if we get Warren instead, say goodbye to this shitty SCOTUS we have now.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So do we think the Ukraine stuff is where Bolton had issues/got cold feet with the administration?
No. Bolton's MO is "conflict everywhere".

Trump's is "make money, get fame".

Manifestly incompatible. Bolton was never going to have any influence in the way he would have wanted, and his departure was only a matter of time (I also doubt he resigned willingly—he was shown the door, and offered the opportunity to walk through it before being thrown out).

So many people are going to suffer. The only comfort I could get out of this is knowing SCOTUS would be handing the Senate to Democrats. And if we don't get Biden as our nominee, if we get Warren instead, say goodbye to this shitty SCOTUS we have now.
So many people are going to suffer, and even if you get Warren, the Senate and Court will remain largely as they have for decades.

Change like that doesn't happen in 4 years, and it doesn't happen in a political climate like what we have now.

Romanticizing that things will magically get better is doing a huge disservice to all the suffering that could have and should have been prevented. The choice in 2016 was clear.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Lol @ showing a pic of Clinton. gotta get them red hats mad as all hell

"DON'T LOSE THIS SECURITY BLANKET THOUGHT! YOU MAY NOT GET ANOTHER!"

Almost definitely. Its either him or Sue Gordon.

The way I see it is that trump had a conversation with Putin on 7/31. Coats was either present for that, or got the details of it when Trump requested a list of every US spy ever on 8/3. Trump likely intends to "out" a list of agents to Putin at Putin's request, because Putin REALLY hates Moles and has been "getting rid" of former Moles that escaped russia to the UK.

Coats is disturbed by Trump willingly compromising US agents, but can't deny the request, provides the list.
Huntsman gets wind of what happens, says "fuck THIS" and resigns.

Coats decides he's going to turn whistleblower, goes to his deputy Sue Gordon and tells her he's turning whistleblower, it will be a shitstorm and she needs to get the hell out to avoid the fallout. Sue obviously agrees, leaves with him.

Putin inevitably and publicly outs the identity of a former agent living in washington DC with all of his personal information, both making the guy a target AND advertising to other moles and potential moles that He Can Find You.

Bolton gets upset at what has happened, falls out with Trump, attempts to quit. Trump talks him down, then fires him in the morning to undermine his credibility.

The Ukraine story was freely offered up by Guiliani and Trump as spin and distraction. It can't possibly be the center of the complaint- there's no reason to block what they've straight up admitted on live television. There is something else in that report they don't want seen, and it's probably this. All of that fallout wouldn't have happened over Trump pressuring Zelensky.

I get it, but maybe Coats didn't and footdragged before being demanded to and resigned, taking Gorden with him.

I also wonder if the sham Biden investigation extortion affair was not the goal like you said, but as his REWARD upon successfully outing spies or getting Ukraine screwed over for territory.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of pessimistic the impeachment proceedings will go anywhere in the end, as I doubt the senate republicans will flip regardless of what turns up, but I'm glad this party is finally getting started anyway. At least expose all of the corruption that's going on if for no other reason then for history to judge this admin appropriately.

If this corrupt scumbag somehow goes down in flames too due to this, I will be one happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.