Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've got RTs of Liz Mair and AOC defending Warren on the pregnancy firings story.

Once again her enemies keep giving her free advertising.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20% Republicans is higher than I expected
Historical Tidbit. That's roughly the percentage of republicans that supported Impeaching Nixon when he resigned. Trump is in very bad shape numbers wise. The Country is ready to get rid of trump at higher levels then they were with Nixon. It really does just come down to Pressure on republicans in the senate now

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

JUST IN: After returning from his visit to the cardiologist @BernieSanders tells us he is prepared to change the "nature" of his campaign. He said he plans to scale back his travel and the number of events he participates in. https://t.co/IqUzM9stRN

So, he's going to continue to run for president by running for president less. Come on Bernie. Do not literally die on the trail.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

After meeting with Mick Mulvaney at the White House today, former South Carolina congressman Trey Gowdy has accepted an offer to serve as outside counsel to President Trump, sources tell @PamelaBrownCNN and me.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
4b58b7142beeb920148b985a66340c73b2d2d74481904fd204c4504422e1d2ed.jpg

Actually, I'd say odds are that not cooperating actually helps Cheeto and his administration. They will either continue to stonewall and spin and nothing will happen, or the Dems will agree to something that removes any teeth from the inquiry and nothing will happen. That's how I handicap it. Doesn't mean something unexpected might happen.

Basically, in most situations, if you're guilty, the best thing you can do is shut up and refuse to cooperate. And in this case, who's gonna fucking him him cooperate?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like contempt-> fine will be the most extreme. People will not react well to arrests. Its something that never happens and will be used as a call to all his supporters to take action. People are too braindead to understand the gravity of what everyone already knows. Footage of politicians in custody will instantly materialize in people's minds as 'oh thats too far gotta stop that!'
People who talk about "inherent contempt" are not serious people and should not be taken seriously.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Historical Tidbit. That's roughly the percentage of republicans that supported Impeaching Nixon when he resigned. Trump is in very bad shape numbers wise. The Country is ready to get rid of trump at higher levels then they were with Nixon. It really does just come down to Pressure on republicans in the senate now
Metrics are great, but I think at least 30% of Republicans need to support impeachment before Republican senators start considering turning on Trump.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Also, sorry, not sorry. I'm going to say it:

If your health is too poor to campaign for president, your health is too poor to be President. Temporary illnesses, like cold, flu, pneumonia are one thing. But a fucking heart attack that, by your own admission, is going to require you to reshape the way in which you campaign? Just drop out. It's irresponsible. It's asinine to keep taking these people's money. Because as much as I dislike Bernie, I really, really, really don't want him to fucking die.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody thinking the Supreme Court bows to Trump in a case of his ultimate power is out of their mind. They know well enough that when that decision comes down, our functioning government as we know it is done. It won't happen. Maybe 2 or 3 might vote that way, but I cannot see more.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So he's basically a consultant instead of the primary lawyer?

That's a clever dodge that avoids pissing off the admin (for now.)
No. I could be wrong in terms of government lawyers, but I believe it just means he is not an employee of the government. He's still Dump's lawyer.

In industry, outside counsel means hiring lawyers from a law firm or external organization and not the in-house counsel who are employees of the company. For example, the law firm I work for is the outside counsel for the organizations they represent.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
So....in order for GOP Congress to go along with Trumps defense, they have to agree that they themselves have no power or oversight over the Executive branch.

When the Senate has to review and decide on the validity of the impeachment articles, they'll have to tacitly admit that despite Trump clearly obstructing THEIR OWN BRANCH of government, they either don't care, or agree with the President.

...let's see how that goes.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
So....in order for GOP Congress to go along with Trumps defense, they have to agree that they themselves have no power or oversight over the Executive branch.

When the Senate has to review and decide on the validity of the impeachment articles, they'll have to tacitly admit that despite Trump clearly obstructing THEIR OWN BRANCH of government, they either don't care, or agree with the President.

...let's see how that goes.

They'll go along with it lockstep.

illiniguy05

Oct 25, 2017
No. I could be wrong in terms of government lawyers, but I believe it it just means he is not an employee of the government. He's still Dump's lawyer.

In industry, outside counsel means hiring lawyers from a law firm or external organization and not the in-house counsel who are employees of the company. For example, the law firm I work for is the outside counsel for the organizations they represent.

Correct, anyone outside the DOJ and White House can be called "outside" counsel.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Also, sorry, not sorry. I'm going to say it:

If your health is too poor to campaign for president, your health is too poor to be President. Temporary illnesses, like cold, flu, pneumonia are one thing. But a fucking heart attack that, by your own admission, is going to require you to reshape the way in which you campaign? Just drop out. It's irresponsible. It's asinine to keep taking these people's money. Because as much as I dislike Bernie, I really, really, really don't want him to fucking die.

Yeah, it is annoying as heck. It feels like his ego is just too big to let himself give up now even though his life is literally at stake.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Honestly take it to the supreme court. the majority would side against him in this case. If they were gonna give the presidency complete immunity from congressional oversight it was fucked from the outset anyway.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I read that Bernie tweet as the beginning of his campaign winding down into him dropping out, rather than an attempt to keep it going forever, but maybe I'm off base

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Very likely but I'm curious how voters will respond to their representatives openly dismissing their obligations under the Constitution.

if they're republicans they'll agree with it, because as much as republicans like to jack off to the constitution they don't actually read it or care about what it has to say

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, PoliEra coming hard at Preet Bahara, you hate to see it

And constitutional lawyer Ed Raskin.

And other totally not serious idiots like Jerry Nadler, Adam Schiff, and almost everyone else (with a brain) on those committees.

People, inherent contempt isn't just throwing someone in a Congress jail. It's fines as well, which is where they will start.
Though I still maintain we're going to see that jail option before the end because we're way into uncharted waters right now with Trump's escalation, and at least inherent contempt has already been tested in waters.

Like Rudy's money laundering Russian friends linked in this Ukraine article are prime examples of easy fodderized meat to use inherent contempt on and I think we'll see it on them before we see it on anyone else. Hell, Giuliani himself is a nice starting target. He has no actual executive protection.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly take it to the supreme court. the majority would side against him in this case. If they were gonna give the presidency complete immunity from congressional oversight it was fucked from the outset anyway.
Are you sure about that

This is the same scotus that said he can just do whatever he wants as long as he believes it's a national emergency and that he doesn't need proof that there is one, because there is one as long as he says it

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
if they're republicans they'll agree with it, because as much as republicans like to jack off to the constitution they don't actually read it or care about what it has to say

I'm assuming at least 20% have read it or care what it has to say considering they approve of an impeachment inquiry.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

And other totally not serious idiots like Jerry Nadler, Adam Schiff, and almost everyone else (with a brain) on those committees.

People, inherent contempt isn't just throwing someone in a Congress jail. It's fines as well, which is where they will start.
Though I still maintain we're going to see that jail option before the end because we're way into uncharted waters right now with Trump's escalation, and at least inherent contempt has already been tested in waters.

Like Rudy's money laundering Russian friends linked in this Ukraine article are prime examples of easy fodderized meat to use inherent contempt on and I think we'll see it on them before we see it on anyone else. Hell, Giuliani himself is a nice starting target. He has no actual executive protection.
Naaaaah I think I'm gonna have to go with PoliEra user devSin on this one over these no-name nobodies fam

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So, Ithink we finally did it! We're in a constitutional crisis.

My big question is, what republicans will be willing to stand up and say that WH legal reasoning is fucking absurd?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Even Warren is too old for what we are about to go through really. She'd be the oldest ever elected if she won. Everyone of our top three is too old.

Our good old people are too old, our good young people are like 12, and our in healthy shape people of a qualified age are terrible at basically everything they do. Except Climate daddy but no one liked him for some reason.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, Ithink we finally did it! We're in a constitutional crisis.

My big question is, what republicans will be willing to stand up and say that WH legal reasoning is fucking absurd?
I know it's almost passe to say at this point but...

... call your congressman and senators, especially if you have a Republican one representing your state.

It's quick, it's easy, and the message can be very simple. "I'm calling to let you know I cannot support President Trump's blatant obstruction and violation of his oath of office. Thank you and have a good day."

Will they buckle? *shrug* But every voice counts.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a good quick video that can be shared to people who don't know Warren and her platform to help educate them? Think 60 year old boomer who has no attention span

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Even Warren is too old for what we are about to go through really. She'd be the oldest ever elected if she won. Everyone of our top three is too old.

Our good old people are too old, our good young people are like 12, and our in healthy shape people of a qualified age are terrible at basically everything they do. Except Climate daddy but no one liked him for some reason.
Warren is the upper level of what I am fine with. Actually, Hillary was in 2016, but 2 years on her isn't that much of an issue. Women live longer, and, so far as we know, she has no health isuses. But, honestly, Biden and Bernie are just too old. Biden...I worry about his mental health, and Bernie....ya. It's a lot. I genuinely don't want any of these people to fucking die running for President, even if I don't personally support them.

I genuinely don't know how Bernie thinks he's going to fix the slide in the polls by campaigning less. This is as a good of an exit ramp as he's going to get. He should take it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

How do you enforce inherent contempt, though? Does it take the FBI to seize the funds? The IRS? Anything where Trump could get in between the declaration of inherent contempt and the execution of it?

Oct 26, 2017
So, he's going to continue to run for president by running for president less. Come on Bernie. Do not literally die on the trail.

latest

"I forget his name. Climbed Everest without any oxygen, came down nearly dead. When they asked him, they said "Why did you go up there to die?" He said "I didn't, I went up there to live".

Bernie in a nutshell.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Sure, piss off the rural vote even more while you're at it, Matt

Teachers in at least eight rural Kentucky school districts are receiving anti-Andy Beshear messages sent to their district-issued email accounts weeks before November's election.

An email titled "The Truth About Andy Beshear" landed in the school email accounts of teachers in Henderson, Ohio, Allen, Livingston, Crittenden, Union and Calloway counties over the past two weeks. Teachers in Paducah Independent Schools also got the email.

The email, a copy of which was shared with The Courier Journal, claims Beshear is a "proud member of the liberal Obama-Clinton-Beshear Connection."

The Democrat will raise taxes, begin "a new war on Kentucky coal" and cause health care costs to jump if elected, the writer claims.

The email concludes without a direct call to vote for Gov. Matt Bevin, Beshear's opponent, but ends by again tying Beshear to other well-known Democrats.

"Now, folks, let me encourage you to remember to vote, to Remember In November, and above all, to remember the name of: Andy Obama," the email reads.

Jacqueline Coleman, Beshear's running mate and a former school administrator, said in a statement that she has seen how Bevin's "war on public education hurts our kids and our communities."

"No amount of desperate smears can make Kentuckians forget how Matt Bevin has bullied teachers, going so far as to lock us out of our capitol and investigating us by scouring sign-in logs and surveillance footage when we showed up to protest his many attempts to tear down public education," Coleman said in a statement in response to the email.

The emails appear to be sent to large chunks of each district's staff directories, with recipients organized in alphabetical order.

Susan Brown, who represents the Western Kentucky districts in the KY 120 United advocacy group, was surprised the email made it through information technology blockers and into inboxes.

District servers tend to catch lengthy emails from outside the district, but only one district — Calloway County — blocked some of the emails, according to Brown and Nema Brewer, the KY 120 United founder.

It is "crunch time" for teachers in the 120 Strong movement who are canvassing for Beshear, Brown said. Then all of the sudden, these emails happen, she said.

"It doesn't make us too happy," Brown said of the emails.

The email comes from a personal account from an "Albert Wells," but Brown and others think it may be an account used to contact teachers en masse. A message to the account from The Courier Journal was not returned.

Bevin's campaign denied any involvement in the email blast.

"Matt Bevin has already shamefully and unjustifiably blamed teachers for the sexual abuse of children, so it's no surprise his allies are following suit," Coleman, Beshear's running mate, said in a statement Tuesday. "We need leaders who will listen to and support educators and prioritize public education — not tear us down for political gain."

Many Kentucky districts don't allow teachers to use district-issued email accounts for political purposes.

Using Kentucky's public records law, the state GOP requested emails from teachers' district accounts last fall to identify educators misusing their work accounts for political activism.

The requests, the GOP spokesman said then, stemmed from mentions "about a lot of extremely, directly political email traffic going through the school system on teachers' emails."

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
All these losers that can't even qualify before Andrew Yang should drop out too.

Everyone below Klobuchar, who at least can plausibly get her polls before November 13.

Also, yeah, Warren will be the oldest. But a 71 year old woman at inauguration vs a 78 year old man with a history of aneurysm and a 79 year old man who just had a heart attack are a world of difference.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Everyone everywhere in the year 2019. Seriously, as a coder myself: learn how to code. *Crowd cheers*

Kamala Harris: learn how to code.

"Yikes"

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA

Can't trump just pardon whomever is busted for inherent contempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.