• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Who is saying that? That's just stupid.

nymag.com

What Obama Is Saying in Private About the Democratic Primary

Sure, he’s got thoughts about Sanders and Bloomberg — and others in the field. But keeping mum is part of a much bigger plan.
A lot of people want their biases about the non-Sanders crowd in the Dem
Party confirmed. Same with the crowd who thinks Warren cut a deal with Biden last month for VP and is now angling to endorse Bloomberg after she drops out. Thank God we only have ~1-2 months left of this shit.
www.resetera.com

The Hill: Obama has reportedly said in private that he would speak up to stop a Sanders nomination

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/472090-obama-privately-said-he-would-speak-up-to-stop-sanders-report?amp Stop my nomination if old.

Side note: I hate the constant whining about supporters but there were a good amount of people who thought Obama would snub Sanders.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is republicans who didn't like trump did so partly because he was terrible, but also because the conventional wisdom was there was no way he'd win.

democrats who don't like Bloomberg don't like him because he's terrible, but also because he very likely would win.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The funny thing is republicans who didn't like trump did so partly because he was terrible, but also because the conventional wisdom was there was no way he'd win.

democrats who don't like Bloomberg don't like him because he's terrible, but also because he very likely would win.
Eh, plenty of the people fearmongering about Bloomberg think he would lose in the general.

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Jonathan Chavez on Twitter

“If only Bernie hits 15% he’ll net 144 delegates on the field. If a second candidate hits the board, his net advantage on that candidate in CA statewide at-large delegates shrinks to ≈50. 2 other and it shrinks to ≈30. It’s the biggest inflection point in the race.”

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
So, I think saying "Bernie is definitely going to lose" is as wrong as saying "Bernie is definitely going to win." Do I have major doubts about his ability to win the General? Absolutely. Would I rather go into the election with nearly anyone else? Yes. But, if the party voters nominate him, that's what we go with. I'll max out to him the day he's the nominee.

It's just my personal opinion that a lot of folks vastly underestimate Bernie's appeal to the voters we need to win over. That's a guy feeling, and I'm not saying it's anything other than that. I just don't think there is an appetite in this economy for this massive overhaul of everything he wants to do. For a lot of middle class folks, the economy is pretty dang good. They might hate Trump, but do they hate him enough to uproot the entire system? That's the question. I don't think anyone has ever gone broke by betting on middle class white people saying "fuck you got mine."

I seriously hope I'm wrong. I'll be the first one celebrating if I am wrong. Hell, if he wins the General, I will wear a Bernie avatar for a year.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhh, I'm coming to terms with Trump getting another term. That the Dems screwed it up this badly with an easily winnable election is just sad. Oh well, I'll be 65 once the Supreme Court is able to shift back left.

Better to get used to it now than in November.
I love proclamations like this that fly in the face of all evidence we have, that it's going to be a close race, with maybe the Dem slightly favored, if just slightly. It's impossible to say either the Democrats or Trump have any gigantic advantage in election.

It's really true that the more people say the something is 'certain' to happen in politics, the less they know.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I think saying "Bernie is definitely going to lose" is as wrong as saying "Bernie is definitely going to win." Do I have major doubts about his ability to win the General? Absolutely. Would I rather go into the election with nearly anyone else? Yes. But, if the party voters nominate him, that's what we go with. I'll max out to him the day he's the nominee.

It's just my personal opinion that a lot of folks vastly underestimate Bernie's appeal to the voters we need to win over. That's a guy feeling, and I'm not saying it's anything other than that. I just don't think there is an appetite in this economy for this massive overhaul of everything he wants to do. For a lot of middle class folks, the economy is pretty dang good. They might hate Trump, but do they hate him enough to uproot the entire system? That's the question. I don't think anyone has ever gone broke by betting on middle class white people saying "fuck you got mine."

I seriously hope I'm wrong. I'll be the first one celebrating if I am wrong. Hell, if he wins the General, I will wear a Bernie avatar for a year.
Now he needs to win.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.thecut.com

The Immoderate Susan Collins

After a long career voting across the aisle, why did the Maine senator gamble her legacy on Trump?

This piece on why Collins may lose is so good.

This is a great article and I love this depiction of the Senate
It's hard to see what Collins wants to go back to Washington to do, unless it is, simply, to continue to be in the U.S. Senate, which, as Adam Jentleson, the former deputy chief of staff to Harry Reid, commented to me, "is the world's greatest retirement home, with a full schedule and a staff to tend to all your needs."

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
I.e. "I'm comfortable enough to escape to other arms". Whatever that means. "I don't have to fight too hard because I have options." Have fun, some of us have skin in the game.

Grow up and stop trying to alienate your allies. I have fought for Democrats pretty much nonstop for the past 12 years. My wife is an immigrant and I've been on the front lines of putting up with this admin's bullshit, so don't talk to me about not having skin in the game.

Agreed 100%. Don't mistake my shitting on Bernie for a lack of caring. I shit because I care and don't want to lose. If he's the nominee I'll campaign for him as hard as I fought for Obama. And if he wins I will also make Bernie my avatar for a year.

Oct 25, 2017
02-14-susan-collins-3.w570.h712.2x.jpg

There's so many amazing quotes in that article. My favorite being the ending:
Choosing between a party that now demands total fealty and a constituency she's promised independence, Collins — a woman who has built her image around being a careful, thoughtful decision-maker — appears to have made no decision at all about the best way to keep her power. Instead, she is hoping that she can pretend to do both without anyone noticing.

It might work. But if I were her, I'd be deeply concerned.

This is also just completely loathsome:
Back in 1997, her first year in office, Collins gave an interview that showed how instinctively she understood the power of being a possible swing vote in a Senate that still sometimes worked on a bipartisan model. "I'm consistently sought out by both sides for co-sponsorship of bills," she told the New York Times. "I have a lot of power — I like that."
But the idealization of practical, cooperative women in politics, the no-nonsense gals who work well with others, has taken a hit in recent years. That's in part thanks to a long-overdue reckoning, post-2016, with the more than half of white women who voted for Trump and, for decades before him, abetted the rise of his ever-more-punitive, patriarchal Republican Party: For what, with whom, and to whose benefit, have these women been willing to compromise?
As the meeting started, Woerter recalled, Collins didn't even address the storytellers. Instead, Woerter said, "she was very focused on her displeasure with the advocacy organization" and spoke only to the Planned Parenthood representatives, telling them that "she hadn't appreciated the way people had treated her at an earlier event." Collins was referring to having been commencement speaker at Colby College's 2018 graduation, to which much of the graduating class had worn I STAND WITH PLANNED PARENTHOOD stickers, not as an explicit protest but as an affirmative expression of their commitment to reproductive health. "I recall her saying something along the lines of 'You should all be nicer to me,' " said Woerter. Eventually, Woerter and her companions got to tell their stories. "She did say a couple of times that she was really sorry, and that that must have been a hard time to go through." But the meeting ended quickly, after Collins offered up some of the reasons she felt Kavanaugh would not overturn Roe. "It definitely gave the feeling, leaving," said Woerter, "that there was no chance of persuading her."

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Molly Hensley-Clancy on Twitter

“The pollster told me that they had more recently polled Warren vs. Trump, and cited Klobuchar's "momentum" as a tipping factor - they want a "marker" in case she picks up more support. "I suspect [Warren] will be part of the next testing," he said. https://t.co/Elue4tFR0k”

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Grow up and stop trying to alienate your allies. I have fought for Democrats pretty much nonstop for the past 12 years. My wife is an immigrant and I've been on the front lines of putting up with this admin's bullshit, so don't talk to me about not having skin in the game.

Fair enough, but I've been in this scrum since 2000, advocating as far back as Gore in an election where even an ally like Rage Against the Machine said, "More for Gore, or the son of a drug lord", as if they were equivalents. In an era where Balaclavas were an object used against the "establishment" of the WTO, i.e. the Battle of Seattle.

I'm a writing tutor at a regional community college representing students from - Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, Ghana, Nigeria, Congo, Yemen, Oman, etc.

I represent a dozen nations in their fight for representation over 20 years.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

twitter.com

Jonathan Chavez on Twitter

“If only Bernie hits 15% he’ll net 144 delegates on the field. If a second candidate hits the board, his net advantage on that candidate in CA statewide at-large delegates shrinks to ≈50. 2 other and it shrinks to ≈30. It’s the biggest inflection point in the race.”

And California is already fucking voting. The candidates should be ignoring Nevada and South Carolina to be living in California the next two weeks or this thing is over.

Tiger Priest

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
New York, NY
Fair enough, but I've been in this scrum since 2000, advocating as far back as Gore in an election where even an ally like Rage Against the Machine said, "More for Gore, or the son of a drug lord", as if they were equivalents. In an era where Balaclavas were an object used against the "establishment" of the WTO, i.e. the Battle of Seattle.

I'm a writing tutor at a regional community college representing students from - Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia, Nepal, Bhutan, Mongolia, Ghana, Nigeria, Congo, Yemen, Oman, etc.

I represent a dozen nations in their fight for representation over 20 years.

I appreciate your efforts. But I don't think you need to be sniping at me for an offhanded, non-serious comment.

Goodnight all. I'll get my popcorn ready for the debate tomorrow - fuck Trump and Bloomberg!

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Soyoung Kim on Twitter

“Meanwhile, as vice president under Barack Obama, @JoeBiden “reads speeches that somebody writes for him,” @MikeBloomberg told Reuters. “That’s the job. His job was not to manage but to do some things the president needed done and for all I know he did a competent job.””

This one's gonna be a mess.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
The campaigns seem very encouraged by how the NV Dems are running them through how the caucuses are going to work. It actually seems very well thought out.

thenevadaindependent.com

Nevada Democrats begin demonstrating live caucus calculator tool to campaigns, volunteers - The Nevada Independent

With four days until the first in the West caucus, the Nevada State Democratic Party is finally debuting a live, hands-on version of a new iPad-based calculator tool that precinct chairs will use to fold in the results of early voting on Caucus Day.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Today on...interesting takes...The author is advocating for preference primaries. Basically, voters would vote for their preferred candidate and about possible issues...and then the Elites would decide based on that results...which is kind of what we have already...and if said elites decided to toss that public opinion that wouldn't solve the divide anyways...I'm confused by this article.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

twitter.com

Soyoung Kim on Twitter

“Meanwhile, as vice president under Barack Obama, @JoeBiden “reads speeches that somebody writes for him,” @MikeBloomberg told Reuters. “That’s the job. His job was not to manage but to do some things the president needed done and for all I know he did a competent job.””

This one's gonna be a mess.

love seeing the moderate candidates eat each other like dogs. more of this please 😂

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
If the party elites actually want to tip the scales, endorse and campaign for a candidate ffs. It is insane how big names are just sitting this out right now. House New Democratic Coalition could just say that Bernie endangers them and please consider someone else.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to do everything I can to help the eventual Dem nominee, but seeing Trump's approval numbers as the highest they've ever been is absolutely soul-crushing. I have never felt so utterly angry at the state of humanity.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to do everything I can to help the eventual Dem nominee, but seeing Trump's approval numbers as the highest they've ever been is absolutely soul-crushing. I have never felt so utterly angry at the state of humanity.
If it makes you feel better, those are still terrible numbers for a good economy incumbent.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats nationally appear to be much less concerned about Sanders's ideological stances than voters in New Hampshire's Democratic primary last week. In a New Hampshire exit poll, 50 percent of Democratic primary voters said Sanders's positions on the issues were "too liberal," an opinion shared by only 17 percent of Democratic-leaning adults in the national Post-ABC poll.

Well then

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yet to be asked of Bloomberg: How many bloomberg terminals does the US government (taxpayers) pay for now, and how many will they pay for in a Bloomberg administration? News subscriptions? Does he have plans for divesting or blind-trusting-his businesses? Suspending or resigning any board seats?

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Barr is planning to leave office so that he does not need to answer questions during that hearing at the end of March. He isn't slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.