Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
McConnell giving up to allow a repeat of the way the first bill was crafted after running out of time is about right.

Also McConnell, 'I've passed the buck but also won't like it'

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
McConnell giving up to allow a repeat of the way the first bill was crafted after running out of time is about right.

At this point I'm surprised they didn't put border wall funding(that Mexicans are supposed to pay for) into the Covid bill...

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That McConnell quote about how it's on the White House and Dems to make a deal shows that I think we're getting a deal closer to the House version rather than the Senate version. I'm pretty sure he realizes that passing stuff closer to Democrats ideologically helps out Republican Senators more in a few months time, but many in the caucus don't want to openly run on a 'left leaning' bill. Passing the buck to the White House lets him point to Trump and Munchin when Conservatives complain that it's to Liberal.

That's pretty much what happened last time.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That McConnell quote about how it's on the White House and Dems to make a deal shows that I think we're getting a deal closer to the House version rather than the Senate version. I'm pretty sure he realizes that passing stuff closer to Democrats ideologically helps out Republican Senators more in a few months time, but many in the caucus don't want to openly run on a 'left leaning' bill. Passing the buck to the White House lets him point to Trump and Munchin when Conservatives complain that it's to Liberal.

That's pretty much what happened last time.
It's less that and more a tacit acknowledgment of who calls the shots.

McConnell is directly in charge of the Republican Senate, but he's not the one with the power. Trump is.

If Mnuchin is negotiating on behalf of the White House (whether with Trump's input or just to appease Trump by getting something done), the Republican-led Senate is effectively neutered. They're not going against whatever it is Mnuchin, as proxy for the President, agrees on with the House.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

So, all that time... was fucking wasted. Should have just let Nancy and Mnuchin hash this thing out weeks ago.

And now we're fast approaching a cliff edge.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's less that and more a tacit acknowledgment of who calls the shots.

McConnell is directly in charge of the Republican Senate, but he's not the one with the power. Trump is.

If Mnuchin is negotiating on behalf of the White House (whether with Trump's input or just to appease Trump by getting something done), the Republican-led Senate is effectively neutered. They're not going against whatever it is Mnuchin, as proxy for the President, agrees on with the House.
True.

After today I would say the final bill is:

-$600 extended for a certain period of time
-Liability protection for businesses
-Extend moratorium on evictions
-Second round of $1200 stimulus

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The bedwetting is so tiring. Also I don't see the point in watching these hearings. Is any new information coming from them? It'll be posted afterwards. Boom, completely pointless. They're the definition of "could've been done over email."

just pursue the most extreme possible version of your agenda at all times. It works for them.

This is how you get Mondale.

We have a big tent, they don't. Sucks but thems the breaks.

Would Pelosi allow it?
He's her 2nd in command. If he doesn't, why doesn't she get him in line or give someone else his position? He's done this multiple times.

By all accounts, Nancy Pelosi fucking hates Steny, and the feeling is mutual. He's been pissed for years that she won't step aside, and she keeps him on as a pet which helps her whip votes.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is we need to get help to people and need to go through Republicans to get it. Political gamesmanship would say just hold out because the GOP are in charge and they will get all the blame but then we're sacrificing actual people who need actual help for political gains. Even if these political gains help more people in the long run, it's a tough call. The GOP don't have much of a political leg to stand on in negotiations but I imagine some people actually want to, you know, get real help to people so between negotiating with the GOP or getting nothing, they'll negotiate.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
True.

After today I would say the final bill is:

-$600 extended for a certain period of time
-Liability protection for businesses
-Extend moratorium on evictions
-Second round of $1200 stimulus
Fingers tightly crossed. I can swallow the liability protection if they change the standard. They wanted it to cover everything other than *gross* negligence.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with Hoyer's comment isn't that he is willing to acquiesce to lowering unemployment benefits. The issue is that he is actually agreeing with the GOP's erroneous claims that those extra benefits would lead to fewer jobs. That's not compromise. That's joining in the other party's grift.

May 26, 2018
Same people who would make Trump leave office if he loses and refuses to accept the results. (Nobody, there are no adults in the room.)

There are so many laws to be made if Biden gets into office. I'm sure I sound like a broken record about this, but in general there needs to be fewer political "norms" and "agreements," and more enforceable laws and actionable mechanisms for those laws. Checks and balances need to go through the roof, as well as more robust defenses, making it harder to remove them on the whim of any one man.

Basically, methods for protecting the country from a dictatorship need to be ironclad. If they are not, the country would dive headfirst into it again come 2025.

We get one shot at this.

Oct 30, 2017
They totally could impeach him again during the lame duck period. Republicans could even have cover to rid of him early. I doubt they would, but they could.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At least Warren gets it unlike many who just want to stick their head in the sand until November

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Guys. We just did impeachment. It failed, for reasons that were obvious long ahead of time and continue to remain true today.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
So you've probably already seen that graphic showing a very convenient flattening of the curve of new cases of coronavirus, but this youtube video is a lot more in depth and i think does lend support to the idea that the government is simply lying about the amount of new cases of the coronavirus we've had, particularly in the red states since HHS started collecting the data as opposed to the CDC. The slope of the curve for new cases went from 6.8 to -.9 in red states - but barely changed in blue states: from 2.3 to 1.5. That's way too convenient. What accounts for such a dramatic drop in red states?

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Run from the numbers all you want, but you can't outrun reality and a deadly virus.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't doubt there is some fuckery in the numbers but there is real evidence to suggest my red state, AZ, is past it's peak and for good reason. The mask mandates are seeing pretty widespread adoption, and bars/clubs were always our biggest trouble spot which have now been closed for almost a month. ER visits have been down for almost 2 weeks now.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
If it's that soon they've got to have already decided on who it is, right? They need time to let the VP choice prepare, design the new campaign logo, etc

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
They've had a self imposed date of the first week of aug for a while now. I always assumed they knew who their VP has been for a minute, just holding out at this point.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
How was Biden's speech and Q and A ? I am hoing he demonstrated some skills to hopefully do well against Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.