• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the FAQ was updated with a lot more information. https://playartifact.com/news/1721959164054855755/

Q. What game modes are available at launch?
We've organized game modes into three categories: Social, Casual, and Expert.

Social Play includes user-organized tournaments, private lobbies, and the ability for open play. Open play enables you to create a freestanding invitation for players within a Steam community or your friends list to challenge you. Players will be notified that you're available for a game. Open play enables players to easily find matches within their own communities.

Casual Play includes bot-matches, global matchmaking, and the casual constructed Gauntlet. Bots own all cards, so you can make a deck for the bot using any card released for Artifact, not just the cards you own, making them great for practice and learning. Global matchmaking lets you quickly find a constructed match against another player. The casual constructed gauntlet gives you a way to play a deck against a series of increasingly challenging opponents. There will be other casual Gauntlets in the future.

Expert Play are a series of Gauntlets that offer prizes and greater risk vs reward.

We are also running a Call to Arms launch event where you will attempt to build the longest win streak you can with one of six powerful preconstructed decks.

Q. Whoa, that's a lot of talk about entry fees... Remind me again what I can do for free?
Sure! We've written a lot about paid modes because they are complicated, not because they are the only or even the main way to play Artifact.

Bot matches are a way to playtest, improve your skills, or learn the basics without having to deal with a live opponent. The global matchmaking pool is a great way to test out new deck ideas or get familiar with new cards against real opponents. The free constructed gauntlet is a competitive mode where the opposition gets stronger the more you win. There's also the preconstructed Call to Arms event where you can play with powerful cards you don't own. We also expect to host a variety of other free, competitive gauntlets in the near future.

You can also invite anyone in your community to challenge you through open play and private lobbies.

One of the most interesting ways to play for free are user-created tournaments...

There is a ton more info but I know the game being paywalled was the biggest concern. It sounds pretty damn good to me. I love that you can give Bots their own deck and practice against it.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I agree the Dane vs Lifecoach match was great. Especially because Lifecoach has played a ton over the months and Dane said on twitter he barely played up until recently. Dane's super entertaining in Hearthstone so I hope he makes the switch.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
People are reporting that the game is in fact banned in the Netherlands. I'd love to see the Dutch government explain why physical MTG cards are legal but Artifact ones are not.

Edit: Apparently people are idiots. My secondary Dutch steam account can buy it. Gonna switch this post to a related comment:

I wonder if Valve is intentionally breaking their CSGO agreement with Artifact to force the Dutch government to explain how their CSGO/Artifact model is different than the legal MtG one.

Last edited:

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched the tournament, game is too too random.

Random starting heroes,random creep position and worst of alall, the arrows are IMO stupid

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
So is rare the highest rarity? If so that makes the pricing model a bit more forgivable, getting full playsets of mythics/epics has always been the worst.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Then play one of the many other card games. Not every game has to appeal to you.
Or complain and hope it will lead to a model as good as the game the licence comes from. ( one could hope even better, with nothing random about it, but I'm not crazy enough to think it could happen )

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Random starting heroes,random creep position and worst of alall, the arrows are IMO stupid

The arrows are great. It adds a lot of tension to every deployment and summon that I find enjoyable and I hear the excitement in other people when they talk about it as well. The one thing isn't for you but I'm sure you could find other aspects of the game to like.

The goal of destroying two buildings combined with the three lane format and their specific rules on sequence of play really makes the game play like an action game in addition to a card game because a lot of card games don't offer the same flavor of comeback potential. To comeback in a typical card game you have to draw the right cards. In an action game you think a lot about your positioning to outmaneuver your opponent and turn a position of weakness into strength which the three lanes and requirement to destroy 2 buildings offer.

As for your other issue, it is mostly deployment phase is random. During the action phase you generally have control unless a card explicitly says random or you are using blink dagger.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017

The starting heroes aren't random I believe, you choose the order they come out in. I've heard creep position and arrows seem worse than they actually are since there's a lot of ways to respond to their effects.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
So is rare the highest rarity? If so that makes the pricing model a bit more forgivable, getting full playsets of mythics/epics has always been the worst.
Rare is the third tier and the highest it gets.

One thing I've noticed is that most rares aren't even that great to begin with. There are 8 out of the 84 that are game changing 15 more that are great but most of them take more work than their worth to leverage them over even commons or aren't even good in general.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The starting heroes aren't random I believe, you choose the order they come out in. I've heard creep position and arrows seem worse than they actually are since there's a lot of ways to respond to their effects.

Deployment phase is always random. You don't control which space a unit takes up during that phase. The only thing you have control over is what lane a hero goes into after the first round.

It is during the action phase you have control over positioning and there are exceptions to certain actions.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
You can select which heroes come out in the first round but you can't deploy them at will if I remember correctly.

So far the only RNG mechanic I'm worried about is the shop, in certain matches it seemed a bit swingy with some powerful items.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
What do people think about the visuals of the game?

I feel like it's technically pretty great with wonderfully fluid Greevil animations and so forth. I'm pretty meh on the art direction, though.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
What do people think about the visuals of the game?

I feel like it's technically pretty great with wonderfully fluid Greevil animations and so forth. I'm pretty meh on the art direction, though.

The board, card design and all look beautiful, but i'm a bit torn on the card-art. it's not bad, but a little bit bland. tho i'm sure it's gonna improve in the future.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
The board, card design and all look beautiful, but i'm a bit torn on the card-art. it's not bad, but a little bit bland. tho i'm sure it's gonna improve in the future.

Yeh, it's mostly the card artwork that doesn't seem to stand out on the board. The heroes in particular could draw a bit more attention, imo.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
RDU made a big statement how good player shouldve able to get full collection from initial cost if they doing well at grinding gauntlet.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
The FAQ and to a lesser extent the presentation of the Tourney yesterday has dampened my hype a lot. I was originally going to preorder it as soon as it was available but now, I'm thinking I may even wait a while after release and see what the reception of it is like.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
can someone explain the joke to an old man
Not a joke, just "funny" to see a dota pro in the top4 of a card game since dota isn't really well, a card game. Kuroky is also a legendary dota player, he was pro even back in the dota1 days when they were playing for 10-50k tournaments and shit all the way to winning TI last year(25million prize pool). Really cool guy too.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with this game and I know it's not out yet but how does this game look? Does it have potential? I liked hearthstone well enough but the f2p stuff wore me down. If you didn't spend irl money it seemed you were at a disadvantage. Haven't played in quite some time though so no idea the state of it now. Am definitely interested in this though I still have to get a new laptop to play it on...just waiting it out till BF.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't been keeping up with this game and I know it's not out yet but how does this game look? Does it have potential? I liked hearthstone well enough but the f2p stuff wore me down. If you didn't spend irl money it seemed you were at a disadvantage. Haven't played in quite some time though so no idea the state of it now. Am definitely interested in this though I still have to get a new laptop to play it on...just waiting it out till BF.

I'm pretty shure it's going to be just like any other game.
Absolutely hair pulling if you don't adhere to the meta.
It just depends how many viable metas there are and how much money it requires to achieve some sort of non-hair pulling win ratio

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What an end for that first match!

Wouldn't the Oglodi Vandal had been lethal and, therefore, a draw?[/spoiler}

Edit: Well, that was a throw and a half.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"You cannot earn things for free and can ONLY buy them, instead of both" is not a good thing.

i disagree, ccg f2p economies are not good for people who have more money than time

So gauntlet has an mmr according to Reddit?
That seems awful.

not too familiar with mmr - why is that bad?

I'm pretty shure it's going to be just like any other game.
Absolutely hair pulling if you don't adhere to the meta.
It just depends how many viable metas there are and how much money it requires to achieve some sort of non-hair pulling win ratio

i'm very curious to see how the constructed meta vs. the draft meta shake out

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

I'm slightly worried about this as well because an MMR/ELO system will drive win rates closer to 50% as you'll be matched with equally skilled players more often. This is better for Valve's bottom line and to keep weaker players happy (they wont get shit on all the time), but not so good for serious players. Ideally in a gauntlet if you're 3-1 you should just be matched up with another RANDOM player that is also 3-1 -- not another 3-1 player that is around your skill level.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i disagree, ccg f2p economies are not good for people who have more money than time

i'm very curious to see how the constructed meta vs. the draft meta shake out

An mmr is a value given to a player that is intended to indicate their skill. Most companies want players to be matched up against similarly skilled players resulting in a 50% winrate.

But the problem with a mode like gauntlet is that it basically makes it impossible to go infinite.

In Hearthstone arena, you are only matched up against similar records. So as you go games get harder or easier whether you're winning or losing.

When you introduce a separate MMR, you screw with that system. You no longer play the bad players that got lucky to get to 8 wins. You play other 8 win players but within that group you play a similarly skilled player.

Basically, using MMR for gauntlet could reduce the winrates of everybody to a theoretical average of 50%.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
and whats bad in that? are people seriously complaining about having a competition in competitive mode?

also you cant luck out in game this complex, so the effect is severely diminished. bad players will lose real fast

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Q. How does matchmaking work in Gauntlets?
Your opponents are matched based on two criteria. You are matched against opponents with the same number of wins and then within that group you are loosely matched by your Match Making Rating (MMR). (Loosely means matched in very wide bands that will expose you to a variety of types of opponents.)

I'll wait and see how loosely it actually is. If it's a superficial protection for newbies then it might be less bad.

and whats bad in that? are people seriously complaining about having a competition in competitive mode?

also you cant luck out in game this complex, so the effect is severely diminished. bad players will lose real fast
This method manipulates what doesn't need meddling. You would have competition in later stages naturally, either by facing a skilled opponent or a powerful deck.

It sucks for great players who can't "cash in" as easily, it also sucks for new players who will be playing other bad players. Winning by playing badly will stunt their growth, you get better by getting challenges not meticulously picked opponents.

Sep 14, 2018
I saw some of the tournament today and I think I'm liking how it looks, I was always gonna try it anyway but I'm hopeful it's actually good.

In game 1 of Feno vs someone, he lost because his boardwipe was locked out of his hand by a random effect from a 6 mana blue card, I'd say his opponent got pretty lucky RNG went his way cause that hand had like 6 cards.

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
he lost because his boardwipe was locked out of his hand by a random effect from a 6 mana blue card, I'd say his opponent got pretty lucky RNG went his way cause that hand had like 6 cards.
he didnt lose to a bad player though.
argument is that mmr makes it less likely to play against bad players, but in this game bad players will lose incredibly fast

Status
Not open for further replies.