• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised everyone here thinks so poorly of Kong: Skull Island. I ain't gonna call it a masterpiece by any stretch, but I thought it was a pretty solid blockbuster.

Vogt-Roberts's passion for the Metal Gear franchise can only be a positive for the production (not that that necessarily translates to execution, mind), and it'd be interesting if they bring back cinematographer Larry Fong to give it that Synderesque aesthetic. Connolly, meanwhile, seems mostly fine if Kong is any indication....but the way he wrote John C. Reily doesn't bode too well for any attempts at comedy.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I like KONG, sure whatever. Why not. If it sucks I never have to watch it again. If it's good then it's good.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Some great choices there. Who's playing meryl?
NaiveUnhealthyClumber.gif

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, but I'm not too hopeful about this. I know the Kong director is a fan of the franchise and has this "bible" lying on his desk but that's not always what is gonna cut it. Hell, Kong was damn bland taking aside its visuals and cinematography. And the writer of Jurassic World? Fork me sideways that was a damn bad movie. Avi Arad? I'm forking out.

(Will still be there day one)

Multiple timelines? This film is DEAD.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I've been hearing about this movie for years and it seems like I will for years to come.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
If Viggo Mortensen wasn't like 60, he would be dope as Snake.

Whoever they cast, I assume they'd have to play both Solid and Liquid.

Maybe Tom Hardy?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Kinda unrelated, but I'm not surprised this shot has become so iconic. What could have easily been "Character stands up from prone position" becomes so much more. Emily Blunt is straight up mesmerising here. It's effortlessly graceful and impressively physical. There's a glimmer of intimidation but also an empathy and vulnerability there. Really great direction and acting, damn.

Actually, to stay on topic, here's an EDIT: If there's a video game film destined to go horribly wrong, it's this I think. The original MGS straight up does not have a good story at all. It was (and still kind of is) an impressive display of creating a cohesive singular vision where storytelling and gameplay are, not necessarily fused together, but they're gelling really harmoniously. The game's pretty tight and there are some wacky ideas there that make it stand out and stay pretty unique. None of this will translate well to film. It could either slip into being a really generic thriller/sci-fi fare, or they'll make it balls to the wall crazy and it'll just come off as ridiculous and nonsensical. Snake, at least in the original, is not a good character and sits firmly in the realm of 90s macho dumbass without a hint of irony.

The second game has a legitimately fascinating story, but once again its qualities only shine in the video game realm and it's still riddled with ridiculous shit that wouldn't translate.

And I honestly think there's some potential for a good video game movie somewhere, like Uncharted doesn't seem like it'd be a disaster for example. But not MGS. MGS is a really, really bad idea.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Vogt-Roberts is an actual legit Metal Gear fanboy and also regardless Kong's quality, he does showed some great potential on that film. Have you seen it? Lots of Metal Gear inspired stuff happening even in that film.

It doesn't really matter how much Jordan or any other director loves the material. Metal Gear just doesn't seem terribly adaptable, particularly because of the tone.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awful news. Get good people to do it right or dont do it at all. A mgs film could be a lot of fun.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Robin Wright was good in Wonder Woman, but I still prefer Cate Blanchett for The Boss. As Thor Ragnarok proved, her deep voice is everything. I think that authority in her voice is more important than any physicality or familiarity with fight scenes.

Either way, doesn't matter. There's still the hurdle of the movie actually getting made, and it being a MGS3 adaptation, before you can think about getting these names for the movie.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to do a shot-for-shot, line-for-line remake of MGS. It would be a box office failure and make no money but would be the most hilariously fun and stupid thing ever put on film.