• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
It's not about tech and it's not about a whether this is a good or bad business decision for some large corporation (who even cares about that).

It's about an overworked studio needing to spend time on this thing. They have PS5, XSX, and various cloud techs to worry about in addition to lockhart now.

On top of that, in places I've worked and continue to work, do you think engineers and artists are excited to work on lockhart level hardware? News flash, they are not. You can moan all you want and you can lie to yourself all you want but the truth is they would not be excited. Being assigned to investigate an issue on lockhart will most definitely be met with a heavy sigh.

So what do you get when the worker bees are overworked, under time pressure, and not very excited to work on something? You get subpar output and you take time and energy away from the thing that they do enjoy working on and should be working on. It's a bad situation for everyone. Lockhart is not a free device to target by a long stretch and that non free cost is now a burden for everyone.

Lockhart is a time and people distraction. Less time will be devoted elsewhere. The journalist should ask some anonymous workers about lockhart. Does lockhart make things easier or harder for you? Do you enjoy working on it?
I'm curious to know why this would be any worse than issues related to a lower-speced PC (let alone the Switch or an XBO)?

The amount of variables to contend with on a PC are definitely going to be greater than issues that may arise between an XSX and an XSS.

Put another way, it isn't going to be the XSS that's going to make devs groan the most. Do they love having an additional machine to debug against? Probably not. But is it going to make their life that much different than it currently is? Also - probably not.

Or are you limiting your point to games that would only be on consoles, and not on PC?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do the console warriors say to this?

People holding the sentiment "holds back next gen" are quite frankly, stupid, anyone that says that are woefully lacking in understanding to discuss this, I'm sorry. Lockhart is using next gen architecture and will be designed in mind to make use of all of the next gen tools MS have brought to accommodate consoles and PCs. They would've stress tested scenarios with partners and engineers before landing on these specs, it must point to things working out if they're going ahead.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
How better is the CPU? I saw it on google and the PS5 CPU is 3.5 GHz and the XSX CPU is 3.8 GHz, is that a big difference?
Numbers only matter when it's not about the SSD speed or the Lockhart v PS5/XSX TF gap. XSX CPU is 3.8Ghz with SMT off, and 3.6 GHz with SMT on. PS5 is 3.5Ghz SMT on or off. Suddenly, 100Mhz is an important gap. That being said, I don't think Lockhart will hold back the gen, but it's unrealistic to assume a significant gap does not exist between it and the main consoles.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It does sound like MS is taking the right moves to make sure Lockhart really doesn't affect the potential of games on the XSX... but now I'm wondering how cheap this thing can be if it's really just a, albeit significant, GPU downgrade.

You'd think they'd stick with the same SSD size because it's digital only.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
User Warned - Lazy Dev Rhetoric
I'm curious to know why this would be any worse than issues related to a lower-speced PC (let alone the Switch or an XBO)?

PC has no quality bar. Who cares what happens there? Really, very little care is taken. I guess it kinda runs, ship it? Consoles are dedicated experience devices. The experience you receive needs... a little more curation, devotion, and _time_ to ensure it runs AND reviews well. There's a difference between something that supports the lower end and something that Supports it (capital S).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't really think anything will "hold back next-gen" in terms of games developed for PS5 and Series X specifically.

Just curious if at some point PC versions are going to require SSDs to play certain games.

Aisod

Mar 21, 2020
People who think it will hold back next gen probably don't wear facemasks during a pandemic.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The newsworthy bit of that tweet is that the Series S apparently WILL have ray tracing. Some people had been wondering about that.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
It's not about tech and it's not about a whether this is a good or bad business decision for some large corporation (who even cares about that).

It's about an overworked studio needing to spend time on this thing. They have PS5, XSX, and various cloud techs to worry about in addition to lockhart now.

On top of that, in places I've worked and continue to work, do you think engineers and artists are excited to work on lockhart level hardware? News flash, they are not. You can moan all you want and you can lie to yourself all you want but the truth is they would not be excited. Being assigned to investigate an issue on lockhart will most definitely be met with a heavy sigh.

So what do you get when the worker bees are overworked, under time pressure, and not very excited to work on something? You get subpar output and you take time and energy away from the thing that they do enjoy working on and should be working on. It's a bad situation for everyone. Lockhart is not a free device to target by a long stretch and that non free cost is now a burden for everyone.

Lockhart is a time and people distraction. Less time will be devoted elsewhere. The journalist should ask some anonymous workers about lockhart. Does lockhart make things easier or harder for you? Do you enjoy working on it?

People complained about all this and more about the pro and X. The industry miraculously survived the hardship. It's up to Microsoft to make it easy for developers, and I would be willing to bet they have devoted alot of resources into making sure the tools are there to cleanly 'downport' to lockheart. All the vital factors are the same except the GPU. Everything but exclusives, will still be built around HDDs on PC for years to come. That should be your biggest concern holding developers back from the next gen promiseland, not the resolution they will be running at on lockheart. Which is all thats designed to be different

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Didn't they just say CPU isn't a big deal or was that a different spec?
Can raytracing just be turned off easily by devs?
The last point does not instill confidence in said product.

If the Epic team is correct about working with the PS5, I can see the same thing happening of devs focusing on one version with the PC and focusing on another one later.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Lockhart ( Series S ) will be marginally more powerful than the current Xbox One X.

Games will run fine on it, and it will sell like gangbusters if its at $299. People are getting worked up over nothing.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
That's great and all, but aren't all first party games playable on Xbox One as well? Wouldn't that hamper next gen games?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Tom warren is not a dev and quiet frankly often get technical stuff wrong in tweets.

See his SSD discussion in the past few months. But Microsoft is his beat so 🤷‍♂️

Feb 23, 2019
Is Lockhart CPU faster than PS5 after taking into account ancillary hardware on the PS5 for I/O which offloads items off the CPU? There's a lot of unknowns at this point to make universal claims. Regardless, the major difference is going to be on the memory & GPU, not the CPU. It's good that things like CPU and SSD are mostly the same, but that doesn't mean compromises won't be made.

The fact that developers have been making games for various hardware ranges doesn't negate the fact that by targetting fixed hardware you can do a lot more. Just look at what some devs have been able to put out on the PS4 exclusively. TLOU2 is running on 1.84 TFlop hardware, which is absolutely crazy. I don't think there's a single game running on an approximately 1.84 TF PC Graphics Card that can come close to comparing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
TIL all PC games have the exact same minimum requirements.

And ram amount doesn't matter in game design.

I am shocked. Completely.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This would come across better if this was coming from a developer who has experience making a game for both platforms than someone who solely focuses on Xbox/Microsoft for a media outlet to be quite honest.

So basically we'll have to see.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Does the 970 hold back PC Gaming?

Asking for a friend
I find it weird that people keep bringing PC gaming up in these conversations. If I'm making a game that needs a better GPU than a 970, I just list it in the minimum requirements and that's it, I'm not forced to support it if I want to release the game on the platform. In this case, if somebody with a 970 buys the game and it's unplayable, it's their own fault.

Nobody's arguing that Lockhart is gonna hold every single game back. But the biggest ones will have a lower baseline to target than they'd have to otherwise.