• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Super_Princess_Peach.jpg

Having Peach as the main hero and not just another playable character was neat. I would love a Peach+Daisy team-up if they ever decide to revisit the idea.

Last edited:

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
SI_WiiUVC_DKKingOfSwing_image1600w.png

SI_NDS_DonkeyKongJungleClimber_image1600w.jpg

These two games have been relatively forgotten.
King of Swing is actually a really important game for the DK series because it's when Nintendo stablished the current designs for all of the kongs, being the first game made in Japan featuring the extended cast. Dixie, Cranky, Candy, Wrinkly, and Funky as well as K.Rool and the Kremlins, all of them had their designs redefined and have been left unchanged to this day. The only change I have seen since was Retro updating Diddy's jetpack and peanuts gun. Smash brought K.Rool closer to his classic design, but it's uncertain if that'll apply to any future non-Smash appearances.

I can't say I'm a big fan of them solidifying the designs, though. Prior to this Funky would wear different clothes in each game, so it's a bit boring to see him sporting the same shirt and bandana everytime nowadays, same thing for Candy even if she barely appears now.

DixieSelectMSB.png
iu

And I'm not sure if it's just the eyes, but something about Dixie's older face felt more charming to me.

Gameboy415

Oct 30, 2017
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Rockman & Forte was released for Super Famicom in 1998 as a follow-up to Mega Man 8.

rockman-forte.jpg

A Game Boy Advance port of the game titled 'Mega Man & Bass' was finally released in the US in 2003.

Mmandbass.jpg

It's a shame the game hasn't been re-released in any of the Mega Man collections on modern consoles.

Also, many people aren't aware that the game had a Japan-only sequel for WonderSwan Color:

Rockman%26ForteWS.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Also, many people aren't aware that the game had a Japan-only sequel for WonderSwan Color:

Rockman%26ForteWS.jpg
I think this would be one of those times where the phrase "Ignorance is Bliss" would be technically accurate. I've played RM&F on the Wonder Swan far too many times and its easily one of the worst games in the series, with a hilariously bad cast of villains, awful level design and perhaps the worst final boss in series history.
At least the Wonderswan Colour got a great RM.EXE platformer a couple of years later.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
latest

Something weird is Girls of DOA Blackjack, a generic blackjack game but with Kasumi in the background. Is not confirmed but probably was going to have multiple re releases with other DOA girls considering the brand, but the game had to be delisted shortly after.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
iu

This PSP exclusive Suikoden game has never had a fan translation and came out very late into the PSP lifecycle (after Konami's Frontier Gate). The translation of the subtitle is something like "Time span of 100 Years/Century" or thereabouts. The story apparently revolved around a monster that attempts to destroy the world every century or something. Was in the same line as the DS Tierkreis game so it's ignored basically.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Im curious how changing the title would make it a 10/10 game. Its objectively one of the weaker Capcom NES releases (though not the worst, at least not while Pro Yakyuu? Satsujin Jiken! exists).
Its a distinctly average game with a couple of fun moments. But its far from Capcom's best for the console.

As for a real Capcom hidden treasure, and an obscure sequel to a pretty low key release - I'd say Higemaru Makaijima: Nanatsu no Shima Daibouken fits the bill. Its a Famicom (and MSX) Japan only sequel to the arcade title Pirate Ship Higemaru. Except the game abandons the linear single screen based action and increases the scope to something more akin to a Zelda game (while retaining the same fun and addictive gameplay the original Higemaru had). Its also got a weird series of requirements to see the true ending - after you defeat Higemaru himself the game tasks you to complete a series of tasks which opens up one final area that has you fighting against Ghosts n Goblins Red Arema - its a rather weird crossover but one I genuinely enjoyed (and as far as Capcom RPGs goes, its by far my favourite on the system, with the full blown RPG mode in Ide no Yosuke no Jissen Mahjong II a close second... and then you have the travesty that was Willow...)

You didn't like Willow? I replayed that pretty recently (I grew up with the game) and thought it held up fairly decently. A few of the areas are repetitive and easy to get lost in, and I hate losing all accrued EXP from your current level to your next level when you die.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't like Willow? I replayed that pretty recently (I grew up with the game) and thought it held up fairly decently. A few of the areas are repetitive and easy to get lost in, and I hate losing all accrued EXP from your current level to your next level when you die.
No, I think its one of the lesser Capcom Famicom releases. When you lock the end game behind a stupid grind for a spell, I kinda have to side eye the game... especially as you then have to further grind for several more levels to have enough extra MP in order to have enough left over shots of the magic in case you miss.
The game would have greatly benefited by being more like Zelda 1 (or really, any Zelda that isn't the second one which also had you grinding for magic) as the game itself is... ok but gets more boring and repetitive the longer it lasts and that last grind just annoyed me (as I really wasnt enjoying the game loads before). In terms of Famicom Capcom RPGs, I'd easily recommend both Tenchi Wo Kurau 1&2, and Sweet Home ahead of it (waaaaaaaaaaay ahead of it). Though all three of those are turn based, not action RPGs. But at that point, I'd just recommend people play Zelda 1 instead.