• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
There's so many little great budget PSP games that don't deserve this treatment.

There's a PC port which isn't great, but better than nothing I suppose.

But then who wants to play on that garbage thing?

Nobody! It's a bad situation.

I see that the PC version exists, but isn't that port messy in spots? I can't remember.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
keyword "most". tons of films from the early days of film being lost is expected from an early form of art.

That's just film. Television is much worse than this. A lot of TV programs made as recently as the 90s are just lost permanently.

The only reason more of it isnt permanently lost than it is, is because a woman named Marion Stokes realized this problem and ran VHS recordings of broadcast tv every day from 1979 until she died in 2012.

amp.wbur.org

'Recorder': Meet The Woman Who Recorded 70,000 Tapes Of American News

Marion Stokes recorded over 70,000 tapes of television from the late 1970s until her death in 2012.

The majority of the tv programs i grew up with are simply permanently inaccessible in any format. Cant be bought, rented, streamed or otherwise.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Yeah, I guess I'm just expecting to be able to easily emulate all of this stuff on PC in like 10 years, so I don't see why it's a big deal.

That doesn't link up to my purchases so the only way I'd be able to access that is via theft which is honestly ridiculous. Not that I'm above that, but still. It also implies that the owners of the content own a PC, I know I do but my frustrations go out there for the average person.

I have a CD key from Half Life bought in 1999 attached to my Steam account that I can download and play. Not even being able to buy games on a platform i bought 7 years ago is embarassing in comparison.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Correct. I'd really like to see how many people are still purchasing games on PS3/PSP.

12 people are fuming right now.

Seriously though, this doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I get why some people are annoyed, even though I'm sure there are some that haven't used these stores in years and never intended to again.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
People not being able to buy Trash panic is an outrage.

Just added some funds to buy Trash Panic, The Last Guy, Super Stardust HD Complete and Tokyo Jungle.

But thinking now, kinda sucks to even give any money for old content to Sony now (devs won't get anything, some studios don't even exist anymore). Really hope these shitty decisions trending for quite some time on social media.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about the exclusivity side of it the other day.

It's crazy that through Sony's own actions Metal Gear Solid 2, 3, Rising and Peace Walker, the entire Splinter Cell franchise, Arkham Origins, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Silent Hill 2 & 3, The Darkness 1 & 2 and a bunch of Tomb Raider, Tekken, Hitman, Star Wars and classic Sega games amongst a ton of others essentially become Xbox console exclusives. Purchasable on three generations.

Edit: not sure if all of those are available in some form on PS3 and PSP digital marketplace but you get the idea.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Still impressive on Xbox's part considering their big exclusives are a ways off yet they keep finding new ways to make the PS5 look less desirable.

this is kinda the equivalent of traditional 3rd party exclusives... day 1 on GP

edit: or the counter to exclusives depending on how you think about it

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Like, don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to download and play the Mortal Kombat Trilogy on my PS5. Sony never gave the impression that that would ever be possible, so I've learned to move on. The games will be preserved. It's a bummer that a lot of my purchases are stuck on an old console that will eventually break, but idk man. It sucks that things break.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
They get billions every year from making people pay to play online when it barely cost them anything, and they still try to save money by closing down stores.

I don't know if it's a question of just closing down a service that may well seem inexpensive to someone outside the fray.

It costs a lot of manpower and money to keep these services secured, and given what is being secured (credit card information, particularly), a lot must be done to ensure the security is at the utmost level. That means evaluations from outside firms, pen testing, rollouts of massive security features that could potentially break the service anyway. Those security features may already exist on the new stores, but the older stores likely need upgrades in multiple places to support that. All of that costs money that the service is quite likely not making back.

Once you remove the payment element from the store, detaching any need to store credit card info, suddenly the security of the thing matters much less to you. But make no mistake, they would like to - and will - remove it completely one day too.

Now I'm just speculating that this is the reason why, based on my own experiences at how many staff and how many resources you need to properly secure a worldwide network. It also could be they just don't feel like it. I just think people oversimplify it down to "Sony doesn't care about their customers." No, that isn't it at all. They just see that the passion being exuded here and elsewhere about the need for these titles is not carrying up to the stores themselves. People want the games, just not enough to get around to buying them.

Tankard

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Jim Ryan is the worst. As always with Sony, one great generation and the other shaky because of some terrible people they put in charge.

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
06a3d330ea60a9f4f0256d462989d1e3.jpg

Keep them articles coming! We need that pressure!
This. I also really hope that's other gaming communities are vocal about this so that Sony will be pressured to get their shit together.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony already lost my trust with PSV. They're only digging deeper at this point. I'm out of that ecosystem for the foreseeable future. I don't look forward to being similarly disappointed with Nintendo killing off 3DS digital in the near future.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "this is why I won't buy digital" argument, because if you bought the games, you'll still have them after this is done. That's how it's always worked, and this is no different.

And if you haven't bought these games yet, after all these years, then it's pretty clear by now that you were never going to buy them anyway, so you're still not losing anything.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that was true regardless if Sony discontinued the store or not?

Sure but that's still Sony's choice. They're the ones that decided neither the PS4 nor the PS5 would be able to download and play any PS3 games, let alone the disc versions. It's not the PS3 store itself closing that's the issue, but that newer consoles since cannot access it at all.

Not to defend Sony because what they are doing is some bullshit, but that was the case no matter if the store closes down or not. If you can't get a PS3 to play the games you can't play them. Xbox is the same way since damn near 90% of the OG and 360 catalog isn't BC. Obviously it's much better than what Sony has going but it's still not good enough either.

It may not be good enough but the door has been opened nonetheless and more games can always be added to it over time. I'd be very surprised if Microsoft wasn't going to make as many older games available as is legally possible.

Besides, think of it like this - in seven years the PS6 will be released and, before 2030, the PS4 will be discontinued. If the PS6 cannot play PS4 games because "nobody plays old games" but the Xbox 5 can still play Xbox One games, then the disparity simply continues to exist and enlarge. Over time, the newest Xbox consoles will have access to decades of videogames but the newest Sony consoles will act as though anything older than seven or eight years doesn't exist at all.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Has Microsoft taken down the original xbox store or could I essentially still buy one and buy games for it? What about xbox 360? I haven't owned an original xbox in a long time to check for myself and I gave my 360 away to some friends who were down on their luck a few years back.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Okay, wait, I might have just changed my entire opinion. I had no fucking idea I could buy the Metal Gear Solid Collection on my Xbox Series X and play that motherfucker.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
Between gamepass, quick resume and BC on XBOX, I'm hardly buying any PS stuff anymore, PS 5 will be a exclusives machine going forward and that's it.

Very different picture compared to my purchasing habits during PS4 era.

I'm not throwing Sony under a bus until they pull this with PS4. I'll give em the old "architecture changes" excuse but there is no reason why PS4 shouldn't be supported like it currently is in the PS5, in the PS6 and on. Also let's be real look at the development and state of Playstation's online features, they clearly are major steps behind Microsoft.

Last edited:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hope we get an article like this every week until sony does something about it that isn't ignoring it completely and looking away.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
"Some will become Xbox exclusives" - a real leap in logic.
For someone just looking to get into gaming and not looking to buy a legacy console, that's basically true, though.

PS5 will offer you PS4, PS5 games and a selection of PS2 classics to buy and own- as well as some PS3 games via PS Now (If you are in a region where this streaming program is supported)

Xbox Series S/X will offer you 4 gens' worth of games you can purchase digitally, with a number of well-regarded 360 and OG titles that you can either still buy digitally, OR find cheap used disks of and get a digital copy (often enhanced), as long as you've got a series X or One with a disk drive.

If you are someone who is interested in older games, that can become important consideration. Potentially. It certainly makes Microsoft's available library look better with no extra effort on their part.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Choosing "servers up, no profit" over "servers up, little profit" is still crazy to me.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Beyond Good and Evil HD and Lara Croft and the Temple of Light are absolute gems. It's really awesome to be able to replay them on my current gen Xbox.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
These games will not be lost for good since people who already bought them can still download them tho?
*for now

There's no guarantee they won't pull the hosting servers one day when it makes financial sense.

I get why you guys do this "gotta buy everything before the shop closes" thing but making Sony richer for fucking people over doesn't seem like the right message to send lol.
Yeah continuing to spend more money on PSN is the last thing this makes me want to do

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I've never invested properly in a console's storefront for this reason. the way nintendo just leaves all its VC games locked to old platforms is eye opening

I really hope something like this never ends up happening with steam. I feel the backlash would be much, much larger

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Fanboys really contribute very little to this.
Dollars are going to speak louder than anything. Casuals may not care and it's certainly not their job to care if they truly don't care.

The only metric that Sony is going to respond to is engagement. If they could attribute a decrease in player engagement in part due to this, then they may respond.
What I meant is that a good chunk of those who should care the most (the hardcore base to put it more lightly) simply doesn't.
Adding salt to the wound, they're more concerned over the earnings of a multibillion dollars corporation, in a time when they're more profitable than ever.
We went from "Only 2 or 3 of our games are profitable, but it's important to bolster our first party catalog" to "let's cut everything that doesn't rack us a tremendous amount of money". It may make sense business wise, but consumers justifying it (and worse) is just out of this world.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "this is why I won't buy digital" argument, because if you bought the games, you'll still have them after this is done. That's how it's always worked, and this is no different.

And if you haven't bought these games yet, after all these years, then it's pretty clear by now that you were never going to buy them anyway, so you're still not losing anything.

Bollocks. I still buy games on older platforms routinely. Particularly on PC, the ecosystem for older titles is strong enough to justify entire stores directly aimed at that niche (e.g. good old games). Most of the larger publishers also realise there is demand for their older titles, hence why we get so many rereleases. Who are you to tell anyone what we would or wouldn't buy?

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

You can redownload them, but eventually those servers are going down, too. At that point you can only play your digital games if they're sitting on your hard drive, and eventually your PS3's gonna die too.

Meanwhile I bought Geometry Wars around the 360 launch, and I can download that on my X1 right now. When I buy a Series X someday, I can download it there too. I'll most likely be able to download it on whatever comes after the Series X, too.

I'm not throwing Sony under a bus until they pull this with PS4. I'll give em the old "architecture changes" excuse but there is no reason why PS4 shouldn't be supported in like it currently is in the PS5, in the PS6 and on. Also let's be real look at the development and state of Playstation's online features, they clearly a major steps behind Microsoft.

That's the open question right now. Ideally, all of the current digital libraries across all three platforms will continue into the future. People should expect that their PS4 and Switch games will be compatible moving forward. But who do you actually trust to maintain that, based on the current situation? I would hope all three, but if I had to put money down on that, only MS has earned that trust so far.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I really hope something like this never ends up happening with steam. I feel the backlash would be much, much larger
Theoretically "b/c" on PC could break if we get a massive improvement in processors and move to quantum chips or something, though with a leap in power we would probably be able to brute force emulate x86 performance or something.

MrChocolate

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Games will get deleted from everybodys account or something? Sometimes I don't get these kind of clickbait titles.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Has Microsoft taken down the original xbox store or could I essentially still buy one and buy games for it? What about xbox 360? I haven't owned an original xbox in a long time to check for myself and I gave my 360 away to some friends who were down on their luck a few years back.
The Xbox Live of the original Xbox was shut down in mid 2010 if I remember correctly, but that didn't have any sort of online market place outside of maybe some DLC (not sure though). The 360 store and 360 online services however are still very much still up and running and that includes the ability to buy and play digital copies of OG Xbox games.

For original Xbox games with DLC content (not sure how it was delivered, if online purchase or just GOTY editions), several of the games available on Xbox One come with all of that DLC for free, which is great for games like Battlefront 2 or KOTOR

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

This is false, because when Sony shut down PS Mobile they removed both the ability to buy new games AND the ability to access any previously bought games on the service. All that content is "GONE" gone.

This event with the store is a reminder that Sony, not you, have control of the content you bought digitally. They haven't removed the ability to download past purchases YET, but this is an inevitability.

Nintendo came out and said explicitly this when shutting down the Wii Shop in 2019. Your content could be downloaded after store closure, but eventually ALL services related to the shop including retrieval of purchased content would be shut down.

Nintendo said that in a yet unknown point in the future, the company will close all services relating to the Wii Shop Channel, "including the ability to redownload WiiWare and Virtual Console games, as well as the Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from Wii to the Wii U system."

www.vice.com

Nintendo Makes It Clear that Piracy Is the Only Way to Preserve Video Game History

By shutting down the Wii Store Channel and not letting users download old games, Nintendo is once again showing that in the modern digital era, you don’t actually own the things you buy.

If you care about retaining access and control of the content you bought, don't buy these things digitally.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
336 PS2 Classics? They ported that many PS2 games to PS3? I thought it was just a few dozen.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

MS made a selection of BC Xbox games downloadable on 360 in 2008, called Xbox Originals. These can still be purchased on modern Xbox hardware (Splinter Cell games, Ninja Gaiden, etc). Any 360 game that wasn't delisted by the publisher can be downloaded for Xbox One or Series X, and if you don't want to buy it through the store a used physical disc copy of any 360 game (minus Kinect) from Gamestop works on One/SX as well.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bummer for people discovering old games and not being able to play them. Especially now that stuff like YouTube is spotlighting old games, if someone, for instance, discovered Tokyo Jungle on YouTube and wanted to play it, they wouldn't be able to do so. Their only hope would be PS3 emulation getting better.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I've been incredibly disheartened by all this. So many games lost to time or needing to resort to expensive and aging disc copies after this happens.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. I'd really like to see how many people are still purchasing games on PS3/PSP.

I would imagine very, very, very little if they're closing the stores. The cost of keeping the servers up for them aren't worth the return.

Not saying I agree with them closing the stores. I think it's terrible and sucks, but from a cost perspective for them, I could understand the decision. I'm personally not worried about investing in the digital nature of their ecosystem over this, but I understand those who might be hesitant now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the "nobody must be buying those games" argument goes, if Sony didn't kill sales for PSP, PSV and PS3, maybe people would still buy games for them on a semi-regular basis. But they did. No discounts for years now. Unforced error. I'm not putting down €30-40+ for many current games, let alone old digital ones.