PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, Exvius was their mobile workhorse - they've already slashed so much of it, completely cutting almost all worldwide translations and it seems like it's running on a skeleton staff yet still brings in money for them. Dissidia Opera Omnia died for Exvius's sins.

I think they were talking more about FF7 Ever Crisis, the game that should have done well on IP alone, yet couldn't quite overcome their own monetization and messy programming. They already killed First Soldier in record time and I believe EC wasn't doing so hot on the recent sensor reports.

Yeah. Ever Crisis is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too whale-focused and aggressive in its monetization to keep an audience locked in. And I also think the game focusing way too hard on the First Soldier stuff isn't keeping people engaged. They sold it as "another kind of FFVII Remake" and it feels like VII is their lowest-priority aspect of the design aside from extremely expensive costumes for the cast.

Also Barret is CONSTANTLY disrespected in EC, which boils my goddamn blood. They don't give him cool weapons or costumes, he's almost completely unusable because they refuse to support him with gear like they do with everyone else.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Exvius is almost 7 years old. It was never going to run forever. It kinda needs to end at some point. That's the fate of all long-running gacha games.

edit OH GOD Exvius is almost ten years old that's even worse

You will be surprised but the game is still doing close to a million monthly (Global+JP)

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
That is sad and undeserved that Square Enix Collective has to take the hit for failings of larger SQE management with their boneheaded exclusivity strategy.

SQE Collective signed Little Goody Two Shoes (I believe), so they are some talented people - hope they all get a new gig soon.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I figured this was going to happen when they said one of their goals was to become leaner (a.k.a. reduce costs)

GNenO9GXcAAeRk5

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Yeah. Ever Crisis is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too whale-focused and aggressive in its monetization to keep an audience locked in. And I also think the game focusing way too hard on the First Soldier stuff isn't keeping people engaged. They sold it as "another kind of FFVII Remake" and it feels like VII is their lowest-priority aspect of the design aside from extremely expensive costumes for the cast.

Also Barret is CONSTANTLY disrespected in EC, which boils my goddamn blood. They don't give him cool weapons or costumes, he's almost completely unusable because they refuse to support him with gear like they do with everyone else.
I had no choice but to drop it myself. I'm not a stranger to whaling in SE gachas, even ranking in the top 10 for dungeon ranking multiple months in a row, but Ever Crisis managed to turn me off so badly with its power creep and general shitty design/predatory monetization.

Shall we shove another ad for some gacha ticket vouchers in your face after you complete a simple story battle? Nevermind how they treated any character that wasn't Aerith, Cloud, or Sephiroth. Barret's treatment was especially egregious.

Anyway, back on topic. This is yet another sad but expected day in the industry. From how they framed the layoffs, it sounds like they aren't really touching anybody at CBU1-CBU3, but they'll probably go to town on NA/EU publishing side, consolidating them into their London offices to handle global distribution.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'd just assume every single studio or publisher will have some level of layoffs. It feels inevitable, despite sales or traction.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This industry is a fucking mess. Not that I want to see people leave, but honestly it is becoming apparent that it is a better choice to leave and go elsewhere than stick around with this sinking ship of an industry that can't get control over its own spending, bad ideas, and constant sacrifice of human talent because of poor decisions by executives.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Devs get treated like absolute dirt. Shameful from Square Enix.

Apr 24, 2024
FFXVI and Rebirth could have sold 5 million copies each and this is still happening. All part of their "vertical re-alignment" to become a "leaner and more nimble" company. Number must go up, hatchet must come down. Absolutely sucks for those affected.
I feel like we're at a real sea change in turns of major publisher release strategy. Everyone wants their consistent money maker, and to minimize "risk". Game developers are going to need to figure out a new strategy as well. Unionizing is part of it, but I also think they need some sort of independence from these publishers. I have no idea how they make that work. Maybe form some sort of holding company, where the smaller developers can do work for hire for the major studios. If they can find a way to publish their games without selling out their IP, there might be a way forward. But right now I'm not smart enough to figure out what that is.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the industry crashing?
At the very least it's transforming and adapting(at the cost of many people's livelihoods), that's for sure. As shitty as all of this is, it seems it was inevitable with the way trends are shifting. It was unsustainable, and seemingly all studios and publishers were reactive to this rather than proactive ahead of it.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Just fuck off already. This is ridiculous, and all of it is of their own doing/ mismanagement.

I know they're restructuring, and have a new CEO, can we please have some competent management going forward?

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Why would anyone work in this industry. They're treated like shit.
Every year both my grad school and under-grad school host portfolio reviews where industry alumni can come back and give advice/reviews to students looking to get into the industry. This is the first year I didn't partake in the reviews because I genuinely don't know what to say to those who want to enter this industry. It's already hard enough to break into an entry level position in games, but now they're competing against tens of thousands of senior and mid level devs all looking for jobs as well.

It's grim. My positivity is fading.

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
Another day in the glorious gaming industry.

At this point, everyone who is not an executive of some sort has their livelihood on the line. This is depressing and scary as fuck

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They were even more transparent later in the same document.

abUjUu7.png

Rebuilding from ground up makes it seem like they're going to fire a large portion of the employees, and then hire new ones for whatever new structure or plans that they have😔

Oh yeah, that's the slide I was looking for.

"Enable greater mobility of talent across the Group"

Some people's work schedules are about to get a lot busier

No that's not what it means. It means that they're going to come up with policies and processes for employees to be posted to new positions that are outside of their studio/country. So an example would be making it easier for someone who works in the Osaka office to try and apply for an open position in the UK or China office.

Mobility can probably also refer to how easy it is for someone to transit to another role in the same office.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Every year both my grad school and under-grad school host portfolio reviews where industry alumni can come back and give advice/reviews to students looking to get into the industry. This is the first year I didn't partake in the reviews because I genuinely don't know what to say to those who want to enter this industry. It's already hard enough to break into an entry level position in games, but now they're competing against tens of thousands of senior and mid level devs all looking for jobs as well.

It's grim. My positivity is fading.
I'm so sorry man :(

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
I am not sure if I should come back to the game biz after I graduate. Maybe I should just bide my time transferring to a state Uni.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
It sucks ass. I feel like I got lucky by getting into the industry just before all this mess a few years ago. And in my 4 years in the industry I've been part of multiple layoffs already. I do love this industry, and I love the creative people I get to work with, but this and last year have been rough.

tokenflipguy

May 15, 2018
It sucks ass. I feel like I got lucky by getting into the industry just before all this mess a few years ago. And in my 4 years in the industry I've been part of multiple layoffs already. I do love this industry, and I love the creative people I get to work with, but this and last year have been rough.

I feel sorry and not questioning why come back? I did QA years ago and wanted work in narrative design. I don't know if I want to.

Chippewa Barr