eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Obviously I hope that everyone's passwords are safe. Has there actually been any proof that passwords were compromised? If people already gotten their hands on the data file, shouldn't we know by now what's in it?

Last thing I heard is passwords weren't leaked and they'd be encrypted in case because they were never the target.
I still changed mine and enabled 2fa

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Streamer: ok guys thank you for the support.

A fan sent 10$ donation for the streamer.

Streamer: Oh! thank you Rayn for donation 10$ I know it's 10% from your monthly salary I really appreciate it I know it's hard for you guys working out there that is why I am here to watch me play those games for you.

Twitch payment notification (10$ been added to your account your total balance is 800,010$)
Someone who makes 100 dollars a month should not be donating to streamers!

Please stop giving up 10% of your income to someone who you don't know!

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
On one hand, I think the amount of money the top twitch earners make is kind of silly, but on the other, the job of being a full-time streamer must be absolutely miserable. Having to be "on" and in front of people entertaining them for hours and hours a day, multiple times a week sounds completely awful.

Edit: and that's not to mention the bizarre parasocial relationships you're opening yourself up to, where people suddenly feel entitled to the details of your life, or speculate about your personal business, or harass you. Honestly just sounds like shit. Idk how these folks do it for years. I'd get a decent chunk of change and then just fucking split.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And bits. Which, is the currency twitch uses for donations.

But you are probably right, this is likely mostly subs/ad revenue. which makes me understand the annoyance even less tbh.

I've seen some of the streamers I subscribe to breakdown what their revenue breakdown is by source and 90%+ of their income is in the form of subs, gift subs, and bits aka. viewers deciding to give money to streamers they like directly. Ad revenue is really not much for most streamers.

I assume the largest streamer had their revenue pie chart taken over by sponsored streams and merch though.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The one thing I wish streamers would do is to no longer encourage hype trains. Hype trains is when there is a rush of donations and people trying to one up each other in donations in a very short period of time. It is a psychological thing that causes people to feed into the hype train and donate when normally they probably would not. It is in my opinion terrible behavior.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
The one thing I wish streamers would do is to no longer encourage hype trains. Hype trains is when there is a rush of donations and people trying to one up each other in donations in a very short period of time. It is a psychological thing that causes people to feed into the hype train and donate when normally they probably would not. It is in my opinion terrible behavior.

AFAIK you can turn them off for your channel, same with turning off the Gift Subs/Bits leaderboards. Despite them getting hundreds of subs very quickly, I've never seen a hype train on CritRole.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always weirded out when i'm watching a streamer and somebody just throws $300 at them like it is nothing.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
For the person that donated it probably is nothing. That or they are getting something out of it.
For some of them it is. For most of them it's not. This argument comes up any time there's something exploitative in gaming. The people buying all those loot boxes are obviously just super rich. Normal people wouldn't get caught up in it.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan stunlocked on stream right now. People still dropping 50+ sub donations though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For some of them it is. For most of them it's not. This argument comes up any time there's something exploitative in gaming. The people buying all those loot boxes are obviously just super rich. Normal people wouldn't get caught up in it.
People giving tips to entertainers they like is not them being "exploited".

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Era has always been weird about money
if you make more than an Era member shit can go wild lmao

even though as a gamer enthusiast forum i already assume most here make comfortable amounts of money. Those who don't are the ones I usually target with my giveaways....in which i hope people don't take advantage of at points.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
aris gettin that armenian gold rn

$300k a year to verbally abuse his chat room and play shitty EU games. He's got it made.

I'm just glad my man aris is doing well

I'm having a lot of mixed feelings on this whole ordeal. But the one silver lining is that Aris is getting paid.

Going to cancel any other sub I have active though, these guys will be alright. lol

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That's up to the streamer.

I'm aware. Just saying if someone doesn't wish to be a volunteer mod they're free to quit.

They should make demands from these streamers and walk out if they aren't willing to negotiate in good faith.

Even if only a handful of mods get the courage to ask to be paid this whole thing will have been worth it.

Sadly most are probably so far down the rabbit hole that they think getting a signed headshot and access to a special mod discord channel is all the payment they would ever need.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should make demands from these streamers and walk out if they aren't willing to negotiate in good faith.

Even if only a handful of mods get the courage to ask to be paid this whole thing will have been worth it.

Sadly most are probably so far down the rabbit hole that they think getting a signed headshot and access to a special mod discord channel is all the payment they would ever need.
Have you considered they are aware what the streamer makes and has no issue doing a volunteer role of their own volition?

Beegeous

Nov 6, 2017
Manchester, UK
Pal of mine is in the top 300 earners and his missus is due to give birth next month. He's absolutely terrified as his address has been leaked as part of it all.

BuryAllen

Oct 28, 2017
if you're a mod for a top streamer then chances are you know how much they make because you aren't fucking stupid and understand twitch

some mods do get paid :) trainwreckstv's top mod gets a 6 figure salary from him and the mod is like 18 years old

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm amazed at the people surprised by these numbers. All you have to do is look at someone's subscriber count to get a rough estimate, then maybe double or triple it cause of tips/ads. You may not get exact, but you'll least figure out they're making bank or not.

Anyone looking at these numbers and think they can get an easy paycheck too might as well think they can win a random lottery because someone else won it in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
And to think that the people who work to make the very games these people play on stream only earn a fraction of that amount. That's how life works I guess.