Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh course I do, G. But when I buy a book I get a massive return on my investment in the form of new cognitive tools, emotional understanding and perspective. The same could be said of many other aesthetic pursuits.

What does one get in return for their $10 donation? 3 seconds of notice-me-senpai? Foh.
I agree, fellow intellectual. *Tips Fedora in respect.*

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There's still a big difference in how this money is paid out though.

World famous football players (or whatever other mega-earning job) aren't passing the plate around the church asking you to give from the heart.
I have watched a variety of streamers ranging from the huge to the small time over a period of years. Not once have I ever seen any of them actively seek out donations like you just described.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy that the official Mystery Science Theater 3000 Twitch account is making over 100 grand.

Probably the OG in reactionary entertainment and still the best one at it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
ok? literally grasping at straws.

streamers making a milli a year arent the problem, which is what the point of my original post was. mega rich and bad actors like politicians are the problem. hope this helps, take care.

Your entire rhetoric is basically the 'we should improve society somewhat/yet you participate in society. Interesting!' kind of reasoning. The sort of 'any marginal action is useless if it isn't fundamentally restructuring society along a resolution of the biggest issue' take.

Don't dismiss peoples grievances with 99th percentile income earners making 20x+ the median. This is gross and applies to all industries. And especially don't dismiss how some might feel having donated to streamers that don't accurately represent their income.
There are far richer people who are also a bigger problem. All these things can be true simultaneously.

If twitch redirected some of these funds into bonuses or benefits for lower paid staff, that would be a positive, and could happen in parallel to a reduction in the share of revenue that is accrued by capital holders, for instance.

When treating a disease, often the symptoms are important both because they can be addressed in meaningful ways to the benefit of the patient, and because they can bring attention to more underlying issues.

But yes excuse me I'll get back to grasping at my straws.

Edit: Like seriously

do you never pay for entertainment ever? are you ever surprised when athletes get paid the amount they do? like what's the argument here? you guys are complaining about the symptoms, not the actual disease.

Is a fine line away from 'You boycott Activision blizzard, but are still fine buying electronics made in subhuman conditions? What's the argument here?'. To the athlete point, people can imaginably be highly critical of athlete salaries. Is it surprising that a thread about twitch is talking about streamer salaries and not athlete salaries? Really?

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I have no hate for people making this money (unless we're talking about the people taking sponsors for gambling sites and stuff).

But a dude I watch on YouTube, which I think is his biggest platform, was laughing about how the internet thought he was a millionaire in a video a couple weeks ago, and now I'm pretty sure the dude is a millionaire lol. I know ultimately it's all their decisions but some transparency from these people that form the basis of these parasocial relationships would be nice, because I do think people should have the right to know they're "donating" to millionaires. Oh well.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
why is the discussion about the rich twitch streamers and not the fact that an entire gigantic website owned by amazon was hacked and fucking leaked online?
The nature and scope of the data points to it very unlikely that it was a hack by an outside party. It almost certainly had to be someone with access choosing to release it.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda nuts how much money is in streaming.

Naguura averages about 1k to 1.5k viewers, and she is at 200k. You dont even need to be a huge name to bring in the cash.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
This list is exactly why I will never subscribe to big streamers. Twitch atleast allows me to put my money where my mouth is and sub to smaller streamers .

Nov 19, 2019
I have watched a variety of streamers ranging from the huge to the small time over a period of years. Not once have I ever seen any of them actively seek out donations like you just described.
"Twitch streamers don't really ask for donations" is certainly an opinion one can have. Unless you're referring to them literally passing the plate, in which case you're right, and my metaphor was just a metaphor.

Requests and nudges can be made in ways other than explicit and incontrovertible verbal or written statements.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have no hate for people making this money (unless we're talking about the people taking sponsors for gambling sites and stuff).

But a dude I watch on YouTube, which I think is his biggest platform, was laughing about how the internet thought he was a millionaire in a video a couple weeks ago, and now I'm pretty sure the dude is a millionaire lol. I know ultimately it's all their decisions but some transparency from these people that form the basis of these parasocial relationships would be nice, because I do think people should have the right to know they're "donating" to millionaires. Oh well.
The one thing to note though is a ton of the bigger content creators aren't just one person anymore. It's the person on camera with people doing editing and other stuff for them, so they have employees to pay. A lot of them spend an absolute ton on just buying shit for content etc. their revenue could be around a mill but their actual "salary" can often be much lower.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Your entire rhetoric is basically the 'we should improve society somewhat/yet you participate in society. Interesting!' kind of reasoning. The sort of 'any marginal action is useless if it isn't fundamentally restructuring society along a resolution of the biggest issue' take.

Don't dismiss peoples grievances with 99th percentile income earners making 20x+ the median. This is gross and applies to all industries. And especially don't dismiss how some might feel having donated to streamers that don't accurately represent their income.
There are far richer people who are also a bigger problem. All these things can be true simultaneously.

If twitch redirected some of these funds into bonuses or benefits for lower paid staff, that would be a positive, and could happen in parallel to a reduction in the share of revenue that is accrued by capital holders, for instance.

When treating a disease, often the symptoms are important both because they can be addressed in meaningful ways to the benefit of the patient, and because they can bring attention to more underlying issues.

But yes excuse me I'll get back to grasping at my straws.
Twitch can redirect THEIR side of the funds. They cannot and should not just unilaterally take the money that the streamers have earned and use it to pay their own employees. Twitch can pay their employees with their own money.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
"Twitch streamers don't really ask for donations" is certainly an opinion one can have. Unless you're referring to them literally passing the plate, in which case you're right, and my metaphor was just a metaphor.

Requests and nudges can be made in ways other than explicit and incontrovertible verbal or written statements.

Yeah, I have definitely seen some big streamers who will pretty much ask for subs without 'asking for it'. Something along the lines of 'Thanks for all the subs guys, we are so close hitting that subgoal' . They are free to do that, but that is certainly a sales tactic that will draw quite a few people to subbing.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I am genuinely curious do the people going "I wont subscribe to big streamers but I will sub to smaller ones" also refuse to watch Marvel/Tom Cruise/James Bond etc movies and only support indie films?

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017

Most of them aren't outright begging for it which is the general insinuation that's going around. With almost everyone I watch it's just, "Hey, if you've been enjoying my content, please consider subscribing", which isn't unethical in the slightest, especially since the content is free to begin with. Like why is it okay to sell a product in exchange for money, but not okay to provide the product for free then ask for a donation afterwards?

Lotta people are just worked up that someone in the world makes more money than them "just for playing video games" (more than 40 hours a week, with no vacations because of the viewer dropoff, the same game for the rest of their streaming career, while keeping an audience engaged).

Like, I'm jealous too because I'd never be able to do that, but I just say "good for them" rather than yell and scream that they don't deserve it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So, uh, what are the odds of making living on twitch fr? 😂
It's basically impossible at this point, you are far more likely to quickly burn through any money you have trying to make a living out of it. It also requires you to basically dedicate most of your time for the chance at this point. You have to cast as wide a net as possible between all the video streaming platforms, something all the big streamers have entire teams handle at this point, without that wide net it's even more impossible.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The one thing to note though is a ton of the bigger content creators aren't just one person anymore. It's the person on camera with people doing editing and other stuff for them, so they have employees to pay. A lot of them spend an absolute ton on just buying shit for content etc. their revenue could be around a mill but their actual "salary" can often be much lower.
Yeah, like I said I'm just kind of lamenting the lack of transparency. I don't care either way, I don't watch live streamers or donate, I just wish for the sake of others that are possibly heavy contributors or those in position to not be donating, to just have some idea of any wealth disparity between them and their favorite streamers.

And in my specific example it's of course still true I don't know if he is a millionaire, but I see it as rather likely because they don't edit their videos, but I wasn't here to talk about and or speculate on one person's worth, but it just served as a springboard to my thoughts on transparent financial data being available when your business involves creating these parasocial relationships.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, like I said I'm just kind of lamenting the lack of transparency. I don't care either way, I don't watch live streamers or donate, I just wish for the sake of others that are possibly heavy contributors or those in position to not be donating, to just have some idea of any wealth disparity between them and their favorite streamers.

And in my specific example it's of course still true I don't know if he is a millionaire, but I see it as rather likely because they don't edit their videos, but I wasn't here to talk about and or speculate on one person's worth, but it just served as a springboard to my thoughts on transparent financial data being available when your business involves creating these parasocial relationships.
People make movie and music celebrities insanely rich. It's really no different. Popular people always have insane wealth disparity

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
People make movie and music celebrities insanely rich. It's really no different. Popular people always have insane wealth disparity
Ok. I guess I won't consider if people who's income is multifaceted from many avenues should be beholden to bring transparent to an audience that they might be deceiving into donating for non-material returns because other people make money and that's fine, and really what's the point of thinking about anything when you think about it

Dec 25, 2018
Twitch should at least be making as many efforts as possible for people to change their passwords and use 2 factor authentication.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
México
just be aware, the vast majority of streamers get a handful to no viewers

www.vice.com

The Gamers Who Regularly Stream to No One

There are thousands of people streaming for single digit audiences. We asked them what it’s like, and the steps they've taken to grow their audiences.
Oh don't worry, I'm aware of that. I mean, I still want to get a gaming PC one day, streaming on the side seems like fun, I'm not going to leave my regular job haha.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really get why people are feeling that streamers in particular are more problematic in earning "too much money" than other rich entertainers.

A streamer doesn't really have an album or a concert to sell to earn money. Instead they get what's probably more accurately described as tipps. It's really whatever.

If i donated, a good chunk of the money going to amazon hurts way more than it going to the streamer. Even if said streamer is already rich.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A friend of mine who is well into his 40s, lives hand to mouth (low level IT support for wage not salary, has a lot of social anxiety about jobs with greater responsibility), donates to streamers who could buy a private island let alone retire quite young.

I think he gets some kind of dopamine hit or something from the donation. I just wish he'd put it in long term savings instead.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues with twitch streamers earning big bucks, no different than other successful entertainers really. A lot of them have sponsorships and other sources of income as well.

I've never felt compelled to donate to top streamers though. I watch Hasan every now and again and I've never donated to him, he really doesn't need my 5 bucks. The only times I've donated were during GDQ events.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Moderators are working overtime today lol, any mention of the leak or payments and BAM! banned.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Does the leak have any data on how much amazon prime subs are used per streamer?

I think that would be the most interesting stat of all.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I have been trying to get my Twitch account back for years after someone hacked it and changed my password. I've have had endless back and forths with their customer support but they keep telling me they can't help me.

The hacker hasn't even done anything with my account, it's just sitting there, unused.

If the passwords really have been compromised, maybe this is how I can finally get my account back :').

Obviously I hope that everyone's passwords are safe. Has there actually been any proof that passwords were compromised? If people already gotten their hands on the data file, shouldn't we know by now what's in it?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If you wish, by all means. I'm not saying you shouldn't complain about wage disparity or distribution, just that this issue is not new and it's just another facet of the bigger issues we have in how society is organized.
Yeah, I was being facetious. The bigger issue is in the extreme values. So Bobby Kotick, Bezos, Musk and so on, that's where problems lie. Top 100 in any field is going to make good money.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why people are feeling that streamers in particular are more problematic in earning "too much money" than other rich entertainers.

A streamer doesn't really have an album or a concert to sell to earn money. Instead they get what's probably more accurately described as tipps. It's really whatever.

If i donated, a good chunk of the money going to amazon hurts way more than it going to the streamer. Even if said streamer is already rich.
They're easy targets. The stereotypical streamer is easy to mock and scapegoat and the bad actors engage in so much obviously abusive behavior that it's easy to assume that everyone acts similarly. Twitch on the other hand is a faceless corporate entity so blaming them often feels as useful as yelling at a rock, associating a face with an issue makes it much easier to blame them.
Moderators are working overtime today lol, any mention of the leak or payments and BAM! banned.
Working overtime but certainly not paid overtime, assuming they get paid at all...