Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, Dusk did say this:

RE8 is running at 1080p60 on the PS4 Pro, so the suggestion that PS5 would hit that at launch after all the optimizations that would take place is honestly bizzare.

There was a lot of shit he said, but him saying all of that wasn't because he was trying to create some positive Xbox news; that part was misconstrued.

I never said he didn't say anything at all. I just didn't feel like going into it, because at the end of the day, they're both looking and running great. That's all that matters.

It's just that, that specific thing has been misconstrued and it's repeated a lot, for whatever reason and it just irks me.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Does xbsx version has VRS? Feels like that can be giving its performance a tiny boost so it runs better than ps5 version.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
That is fair, but I wouldn't mind a 55-60fps average if the resolution was native. personally of course, thats probably not the best course of action for the majority of gamers. VRR can clean some of that up on xbox.
For native 4k (instead of 4K CBR) you need 100% more GPU power. We are looking at ~30fps instead of ~60fps.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Glad it runs well on each system (although sans Raytracing on Series S).

I don't give a shit about the old rumors. Just glad it's seemingly turned out well. Eagerly awaiting final game analyses though.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
...Except part of that rumor was that they were also considering making PS4/XBOX One ports because of the performance issues of the PS5, which ended up being true. You can't just pick and choose part of that rumor, say "IT WAS ALL FALSE!" while ignoring the other aspect, that is true.

Where was this confirmed as being true? That's the funny and questionable part; he said the ps5 version supposedly had so much trouble with the game that the ps5 problems was partly a deciding factor for the devs to significantly rework the assets and game features to also release it on last-gen platforms, yet that didn't make any sense considering the game also had to run an a Series S which has a notably weaker GPU and memory bottlenecks, and from the other developers/games we knew PS dev tools were also more advanced at the time. Not to mention the game always looked cross-gen.

The fact that the game was indeed rough in some footage and ended up being polished at the end wasn't ever the point. Everyone saw how rough the framerate was in some of the ps trailers, and I'm pretty sure most games go through this phase for some levels regardless of platform. It's the story he created around that, plus he also came out and stated he said these things because he "felt things were too one-sided" pretty much made everyone question this particular part of the leaks.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
So, Series X and PS5 are the same? It doesn't bother me, but I do remember people getting mad when that would happen last gen when the PS4 was more powerful.

Now, I'm sure you'll say that the gap was bigger then than it is now. Which is true, but you would think that they could have got more out of Series X.
The PS4 was a quite a bit more powerful though (and was using GDDR5 compared to the X1's DDR3). We're talking a 40 % difference here, compared to the 18 % now. The differences won't be as pronounced this gen, since they're so close - That's a good thing.

The more identical the comparisons, the better, IMO.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
The mere fact that there are last gen versions isn't sufficient proof for the claim that the PS5 issues caused this choice to be made.

Of course. We can't say anything for sure. I don't think "oh this 100% means it was true!" as we'll likely never know for sure. The current state just doesn't disprove the rumor.

Where was this confirmed as being true? That's the funny and questionable part; he said the ps5 version supposedly had so much trouble with the game that the ps5 problems was partly a deciding factor for the devs to significantly rework the assets and game features to also release it on last-gen platforms, yet that didn't make any sense considering the game also had to run an a Series S which has a notably weaker GPU and memory bottlenecks, and from the other developers/games we knew PS dev tools were also more advanced at the time. Not to mention the game always looked cross-gen.

The fact that the game was indeed rough in some footage and ended up being polished at the end wasn't ever the point. Everyone saw how rough the framerate was in some of the ps trailers, and I'm pretty sure most games go through this phase for some levels regardless of platform. It's the story he created around that, plus he also came out and stated he said these things because he "felt things were too one-sided" pretty much made everyone question this particular part of the leaks.

I'm saying that part of the rumor, that Capcom were considering going with last gen ports (which were not in any way talked about publicly before that time and the games were only announced as next gen only) was true. So we can't just say that the rumor was completely false. I just worded it weird.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Capcom really undersold just how well the game runs with the whole '45fps' thing. Great to see it running so well, really impressive stuff.

Though the Series S would probably benefit from a 30fps cap in RT mode.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 was 1620p on both and so was RE3 on PS4 Pro, not 4k. RE3 was native 4k on One X but they lowered it to 1620p to preserve a high framerate.
Right. Thats what I am saying though. They first went with parity, which worked well for both, then they decided to up it on One X, which did not work well at all and now they are just using that knowledge for both versions of Village.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to look incredible. Glad its doing well for performance.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox version has a big advantage right now because of VRR. You can play with RT on and won't feel any fps dips.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

I dislike the blue look on PS5, it looks more natural on XSX.
I don't know which version to get, my TV doesn't support VRR yet (X900H) and the game will probably support PSVR2 later. :/

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Xbox version has a big advantage right now because of VRR. You can play with RT on and won't feel any fps dips.
I genuinely feel like the VRR I know and use daily is completely different to the one that's talked about on here. I play with VRR and can absolutely notice drops below 60 with it. The biggest benefit is the lack of screen tearing. Above 60 is where everything becomes smooth.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I play with VRR and can absolutely notice drops below 60 with it. The biggest benefit is the lack of screen tearing. Above 60 is where everything becomes smooth.
I realized the other day that at least on PC there's a decent alternative to VRR(since my TV can't do it), where just forcing a fixed refresh a bit lower (50hz - assuming your display has native support for it) for games like this where system is just falling short of 60 but keeps above 50 anyway, works pretty well.
Would be nice to have the option on console too - especially since VRR capable TVs are still rather rare, but proper 50hz refresh(not just taking the input and doing weird things to it) is relatively common.

Thecrisisking

Mar 24, 2020

I don't know which version to get, my TV doesn't support VRR yet (X900H) and the game will probably support PSVR2 later. :/

Do they have the HDR probably set up on the PlayStation version? I would love to know this because my PS5 on my LG OLED has a much warmer look and doesn't look washed out whatsoever like it does in their video. Very odd.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017

with RT off, all version seem to be more bluish, at least going by the VGtech footage. With RT on its clear to see that the xbox consoles are warmer, just looking at the snow is a clear give away.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
...Except part of that rumor was that they were also considering making PS4/XBOX One ports because of the performance issues of the PS5, which ended up being true. You can't just pick and choose part of that rumor, say "IT WAS ALL FALSE!" while ignoring the other aspect, that is true.

I'd have to go back to the Dusk rumors but I don't think this is how it went.

There was an internal PS4 beta before we knew if it was next gen only or cross gen meaning this game started on last gen hardware.

Also the rumor was Capcom was trying to achieve something on next gen hardware and were having issues but PS5 was not mentioned as the specific "issue". It could have been an issue on both platforms as we all know are very similar architectures. Nothing to say it was hard on both platforms.

Capcom had a choice to release the game on PS4/XB1 as originally stated or next gen only. They chose cross gen.

The rumor iirc was it started out as last/cross-gen, was going to go full next-gen to take advantage of new hardware tech, but they ran into hardware issues that forced them to cut back on implementing stuff which allowed them to make it cross-gen again. Considering the game wasn't announced as cross-gen until quite a while later unlike most other recent cross-gen titles, I feel there's at least some merit in that it was at some point in development a next-gen only title.

It's splitting hairs anyway. The game looked rough at one point but doesn't anymore, the game is cross-gen, performs good, and looks good, which is really all that matters.
Agreed except the game did begin or start out as last gen game. There was a beta on PS4 apparently and someone on Era played it so it just means this project never started as next gen only as its scope.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Actually CB itself is expensive. According to EA, CB saves 30-60%. So it won't take 2x.
It really is implementation dependent. Guerrilla Games managed to do checkerboard 4k with only 2 milliseconds being added for the GPU render time on the PS4 pro, on PS5 it should take closer to half a millisecond of GPU frametime. In essence it will run be very close to 2x

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The XSX aiming is borked on the diagonals and randomly lowers the sensitivy which was way more of a difference than anything else I saw playing both. It hasn't been getting covered in these videos but something to be aware of, PS5 felt way better.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Do they have the HDR probably set up on the PlayStation version? I would love to know this because my PS5 on my LG OLED has a much warmer look and doesn't look washed out whatsoever like it does in their video. Very odd.
Looks like capture error in that footage, it shouldn't look that different.

Look at the vgtech for a more accurate capture of the 2 systems.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Good impressions all around, apart from the input lag bug on RT series X version.

I'm so happy to see Series S with a stable 60 fps mode, and above 1080p. I don't have the console, but I think it's wonderful to see such performance on a budget console, meaning more gamers can experience the title in all its glory.

I'm also genuinely surprised base Ps4 has decent performance and resolution.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
People in this thread seem to forget that a good chunk of game development is working on performance. Something running bad during Dev doesn't mean it can't run better later on during development after multiple tweaks and fixes.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Does either console version have the fish-eye lens and chromatic aberration forced on and if so, is there a toggle?

Capcom not having any toggles for the various post-processing filters in their past RE Engine games has been really frustrating.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread seem to forget that a good chunk of game development is working on performance. Something running bad during Dev doesn't mean it can't run better later on during development after multiple tweaks and fixes.
I think the issue was how the info it was presented. Plenty of games have issues hitting performance targets during development. To make those aligations in the way they were made is what rubbed people the wrong way.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
So much for ps5 struggling to run the game rumors, when both the Series X and PS5 are running the game in check- boarded 4k with similar performance levels.

That is why people should take rumours and leaks with a grain of salt.
This is not proof that those rumors were wrong since they were based off the game at an early point in development. Its very possible that the PS5 build at the time was not at the same level as the XSX version. A little time and optimization is enough to fix these things. I think fanboys just got really on edge cause they hate to hear anything bad about their console of choice.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except we don't actually know that the PS5 "issues" is what caused them to make the game cross-gen. It's all the more likely that Capcom , you know, isn't stupid and wanted to maximize their profits by being cross-gen.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This is not proof that those rumors were wrong since they were based off the game at an early point in development. Its very possible that the PS5 build at the time was not at the same level as the XSX version. A little time and optimization is enough to fix these things. I think fanboys just got really on edge cause they hate to hear anything bad about their console of choice.
Part of the rumor was PS5 was going to be 1080p 60 at launch. The guy leaking the info was all over the place with his messaging. He later admitted he doesn't understand the technical aspects of development, so the way he presented his info was always going to be wrong.

I do understand your point, and thats how I took the info myself when I first heard it. PS5 was struggling early on, but devs would eventually figure it out.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the rumor was PS5 was going to be 1080p 60 at launch. The guy leaking the info was all over the place with his messaging. He later admitted he doesn't understand the technical aspects of development, so the way he presented his info was always going to be wrong.

I do understand your point, and thats how I took the info myself when I first heard it. PS5 was struggling early on, but devs would eventually figure it out.
Lol. You guys are still trying to spread fud about the guy despite his incredible track record.

We saw how the game ran on ps5 at the time. It was a mess. Considering COVID dev trouble it's not hard to believe they considered 1080p upscaled to 4K with raytracing at one point.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Nice. Two very capable machines(quite possibly the closest systems ever in terms of power) I'm just glad they're giving consumers an enjoyable experience. I really like this engine. Kudos to Capcom.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 and Series X seem great even with RT on. Hopefully there a 30fps cap or something coming for the Series S version.

Interested to see how the final game pans out in performance. Capcom's shown some good performance improvements between demos and final releases lately

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Lol. You guys are still trying to spread fud about the guy despite his incredible track record.

We saw how the game ran on ps5 at the time. It was a mess. Considering COVID dev trouble it's not hard to believe they considered 1080p upscaled to 4K with raytracing at one point.
He said what he said, nothing will ever change that.

How a game is running on a early build of a game has nothing to do with how a game will run at launch.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
He said what he said, nothing will ever change that.

How a game is running on a early build of a game has nothing to do with how a game will run at launch.
Sure!

Which is seemingly understood here when it comes to, say, rumors about the next CoD being a mess right now (which had a thread a few days ago). Or any other rumor about unreleased games.

But I guess because Dusk claimed that the game was running poorly on the PS5 (which it really was) he all of a sudden isn't reliable.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Sure!

Which is seemingly understood here when it comes to, say, rumors about the next CoD being a mess right now (which had a thread a few days ago). Or any other rumor about unreleased games.

But I guess because Dusk claimed that the game was running poorly on the PS5 (which it really was) he all of a sudden isn't reliable.
The game running poorly was never in doubt.