• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Sooo, would this be the cozy little corner of Era where one would ask about phone gimbals?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Hi! Have any of you tried masterclass? They have a sale right now with a year subscription for two persons for 200$.
Access to all all course. The sale is ending on the 19th. Worth it?

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any content to share during the pandemic? Perfect time to watch each other's content.

Here's a great article (few years old but I never saw it) on diffusions, including great examples: http://mattporwoll.com/the-ultimate-diffusion-bounce-test/

Prior to the pandemic, I bought a Lowepost subscription to learn more about audio mixing in Fairlight. Been following this course: https://lowepost.com/courses/davinci-resolve/fairlight-fundamentals-r27

Here's a music video that I shot/produced for the band "Why Bonnie", released a few months ago:

Currently doing a 3 part BTS preprod/prod/post series on it, hoping to get the first article out soon.

Trying to stay busy through this and shoot something every other day, even if I don't know how I'll use it. My wife and I are going to play with some foley/soundscape work by shooting random stuff through our days, then strip out the sound and record field audio to build it back up in post. Should be fun!

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been making much quarantine videos yet unfortunately, but I have an idea for a silly meta video (watching Community again gave me ideas). I also have to continue writing on my short film. My hope was to shoot this summer, but I'm waiting to apply for funding to things have calmed down.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm going out of my mind with no dp work. I thought I'd at least get editing work, but it seems that's pretty dry too for someone who's not already known as an editor. Taking time relearning some editing stuff, but it's slow going.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I've been lucky enough to continue doing my 9-5 corporate media work from home, but I've started getting into podcasting and modeling photography as a way to do social-distant projects.

I miss doing short films and skits.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been making much quarantine videos yet unfortunately, but I have an idea for a silly meta video (watching Community again gave me ideas). I also have to continue writing on my short film. My hope was to shoot this summer, but I'm waiting to apply for funding to things have calmed down.

More time to write can be a blessing. I was going to shoot my friend's indie horror feature this summer, but we're pushing it, obviously. We're trying to take this time to really nail down preproduction, as much as we can, rewrites if needed, etc.
I'm going out of my mind with no dp work. I thought I'd at least get editing work, but it seems that's pretty dry too for someone who's not already known as an editor. Taking time relearning some editing stuff, but it's slow going.

I've had a little luck with some remote editing gigs via gig sites like Bark.com and Thumbtack, but it's mostly dried up, yeah.

I've been lucky enough to continue doing my 9-5 corporate media work from home, but I've started getting into podcasting and modeling photography as a way to do social-distant projects.

I miss doing short films and skits.
My wife has been trying to find some good social-distant projects. She's been taking large format photos/portraits of our friends in their yards or doorways. I'm trying to come up with a fun collaborative project with friends, too.
Great work! Vibe is on point. Digging the music, too.
Thank you! Yeah, we love the band. The album released just last month. We're hoping to shoot more with them.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I didn't realise this was a thread, awesome. Y'all have a stance on promoting your own features? I shot, wrote, and "acted" in a schlocky ghost horror film earlier this year that I've just released on YouTube for free. It's... well, I enjoyed doing it and it was oddly cathartic to make the sort of twaddle me and my friends would laugh at on a Friday night in Wales.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise this was a thread, awesome. Y'all have a stance on promoting your own features? I shot, wrote, and "acted" in a schlocky ghost horror film earlier this year that I've just released on YouTube for free. It's... well, I enjoyed doing it and it was oddly cathartic to make the sort of twaddle me and my friends would laugh at on a Friday night in Wales.

Definitely share it here. Not like there is much going on in this thread anyway.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Definitely share it here. Not like there is much going on in this thread anyway.

Ah, righteo.

Like I said, it's schlocky horror. Working on an extended version in January with added music and a few extra scenes, a kinda homage to Halloween where it doesn't need anymore scenes but they do for TV rights. At any rate, working on the next film now - Kung Fu Island - which I need to do some editing for later.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing a 3-4 minute video of a new art gallery opening in my town later this month. It's going to be a documentary feel. Basically I'll just capture some b-roll, do some short interviews with people to get their opinions on the gallery, talk to the artists and there will be a ribbon cutting with some elected officials.

I have a Canon 5D IV and a Zoom H4N. I don't have any external mics except a mic that looks like something a band would sing into for a concert. That might be fine for some of the interviews, but not ideal for the other stuff.

Any suggestions on what to get? I guess ideally something that would plug into my Zoom, but maybe for simlicity sake I should just get something that plugs into the hot shoe on the camera?

what about this Rode mic?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm doing a 3-4 minute video of a new art gallery opening in my town later this month. It's going to be a documentary feel. Basically I'll just capture some b-roll, do some short interviews with people to get their opinions on the gallery, talk to the artists and there will be a ribbon cutting with some elected officials.

I have a Canon 5D IV and a Zoom H4N. I don't have any external mics except a mic that looks like something a band would sing into for a concert. That might be fine for some of the interviews, but not ideal for the other stuff.

Any suggestions on what to get? I guess ideally something that would plug into my Zoom, but maybe for simlicity sake I should just get something that plugs into the hot shoe on the camera?

what about this Rode mic?
That's fine for the camera, but if your main sound from the interviews comes from the Zoom, remember that handing people a microphone is not best practice during the pandeminc. You have to have a cover that you replace when you interview someone else or use a shotgun for the zoom aswell.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Apologies for the bump, but my mates first short film is finally online after being in a bunch of festivals for the past couple of years:

I helped work on it a bit so it's great to see it online, even if the channel required a few establishing shots/production logos to be removed.

I hope whoever sees this enjoys it!

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Apologies for the bump, but my mates first short film is finally online after being in a bunch of festivals for the past couple of years:

I helped work on it a bit so it's great to see it online, even if the channel required a few establishing shots/production logos to be removed.

I hope whoever sees this enjoys it!

Very cool (watching now)! I'm looking to put together a lower-budget short in a single location once I learn more about lighting etc, this is really cool to see. Do you have a breakdown of the gear used by any chance?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Very cool (watching now)! I'm looking to put together a lower-budget short in a single location once I learn more about lighting etc, this is really cool to see. Do you have a breakdown of the gear used by any chance?
Unfortunately not, but I can try and find out!

All I do know was that it was shot at 2K on an Arri Amira camera, and that in general it cost around £8,000 to make.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
A couple of photos I took in my in-laws' garden a few weeks ago. Did a little tweaking with Lightroom to make the colours pop, really like how they came out:

224837079_10100300785128827_358136176248947365_n.jpg

224763630_10100300784899287_6650370368338558049_n.jpg

225090942_10100300784974137_871955969456378747_n.jpg

225679703_10100300784859367_2832246305699085507_n.jpg

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What cheap GoPro would be good to use but still a bargain for the quality?
I'm going to say that any GoPro from the Hero 3 onwards is going to be pretty solid quality-wise. But doing a quick search it appears you might as well get a newer one as buying a Hero 3. On the site I'm looking the Hero 7 is cheaper and the Hero 8 and Hero 9 aren't that much more expensive.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say that any GoPro from the Hero 3 onwards is going to be pretty solid quality-wise. But doing a quick search it appears you might as well get a newer one as buying a Hero 3. On the site I'm looking the Hero 7 is cheaper and the Hero 8 and Hero 9 aren't that much more expensive.
Thanks for the help, I'll look them up

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What are you guys editing on? I'm working on a Late 2015 27" iMac and even though I love it the machine I'm noticing its chugging more and more. I don't really want to leave the Mac ecosystem and I'm really curious to see what an M1 iMac can do, but I'm kind of considering maybe switching to Windows and build a beast. Both to make sure to I can smoothly edit everything I want and to get some gaming benefits on the side.

Anyone else made the transition, or just working on Windows? Does the workflow play nice with a Macbook on the side?

Oct 29, 2017
What are you guys editing on? I'm working on a Late 2015 27" iMac and even though I love it the machine I'm noticing its chugging more and more. I don't really want to leave the Mac ecosystem and I'm really curious to see what an M1 iMac can do, but I'm kind of considering maybe switching to Windows and build a beast. Both to make sure to I can smoothly edit everything I want and to get some gaming benefits on the side.

Anyone else made the transition, or just working on Windows? Does the workflow play nice with a Macbook on the side?
Depends on what software you use. With mainly Adobe and Cinema 4D; I use a MacBook pro (pre M1) for my 9 to 5 job and a PC for my freelance work, and with Premiere, After Effects, Cinema 4D, etc in both it is pretty seamless even if they aren't the exact same version. I can start a project in one computer save it to a shared storage and continue working on the other without any difference.

However from time to time (it probably has happened 4 times in 4 years) I get a ProRes files from a client that I can't open on my PC so I have to re export it first on the mac.

That said, if it is the case that you mostly use adobe software then there isn't a huge advantage of getting a PC that's much more powerful than a Mac (Da Vinci Resolve probably does I think). I use a PC because I do VFX stuff in Octane Render which uses Nvidia GPUs, and well, for gaming.

Last edited:

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what software you use. With mainly Adobe and Cinema 4D; I use a MacBook pro (pre M1) for my 9 to 5 job and a PC for my freelance work, and with Premiere, After Effects, Cinema 4D, etc in both it is pretty seamless even if they aren't the exact same version. I can start a project in one computer save it to a shared storage and continue working on the other without any difference.

However from time to time (it probably has happened 4 times in 4 years) I get a ProRes files from a client that I can't open on my PC so I have to re export it first on the mac.

That said, if it is the case that you mostly use adobe software then there isn't a huge advantage of getting a PC that's much more powerful than a Mac (Da Vinci Resolve probably does I think). I use a PC because I do VFX stuff in Octane Render which uses Nvidia GPUs, and well, for gaming.
Yeah, I'm mostly using Premiere and After Effects for work with mostly 4K+ and/or Raw footage. With the occasional Davinci mixed in.

I can understand that there isn't that much to gain with purely video editing and renders, but is the difference really that negligible between a high-end PC and a good old Mac? That's pretty good to hear, tbh. I've always been extremely tempted by getting a PC but I love Macs just too much. Glad I'm not missing out too much.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm mostly using Premiere and After Effects for work with mostly 4K+ and/or Raw footage. With the occasional Davinci mixed in.

I can understand that there isn't that much to gain with purely video editing and renders, but is the difference really that negligible between a high-end PC and a good old Mac? That's pretty good to hear, tbh. I've always been extremely tempted by getting a PC but I love Macs just too much. Glad I'm not missing out too much.
In the past CPUs between high end Mac's and PCs have pretty much been on the same ballparks. Same silicon really. Intel iMacs, Mac Pros were all beefy at launch, they just didn't update often enough to keep up with new PCs.

And while it is true that prosumer level PCs can have considerably more power than any Mac, Adobe doesn't take advantage of it very well yet compared to others. I would still say that the best machine for Premier or After Effects is a PC with one of the most recent AMD CPUs, but having the best hardware is not the same as having the best experience if you are used to your ecosystem. I would be tempted to wait and see if there is a new iMac Pro with the bigger sibling on the M1 however.

Edit: hell I actually don't even know if After Effects runs on the M1 yet, since what I have is a 2019 MacBook pro.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017

I'm in a 2019 iMac fully spec'd. It's mostly solid.

The Swap memory was a massive problem though. I recently disabled it through some process and it was night and day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really a filmmaker (although I eventually would love to take a crack at it,) instead I shoot rec league level sporting events.

For a couple of years, I've been shooting games for a local box lacrosse team. Above rec league, but not by much. I love lacrosse and wanted to do whatever I could to help them out since this area is definitely not a lacrosse hotbed. They've been really receptive to my offer to shoot their games at the beginning of the seasons, but go radio silent to any of my follow up requests (graphic assets, game day rosters, etc...) NBD, I can still produce my videos with whatever I can get my hands on.

Today, I get a text from a guy from one of last season's opponents. He's now a part owner of the team I was shooting for and both teams are now partnering with something called The Box Lacrosse Channel (looks like a startup using Castify to build Roku and AppleTV OTT apps) and want to use my videos to expand the teams' library of games on the channel.

I know there's a bunch of reasons to say "no" or "pay me," but those don't really matter to me. I shot the games for fun and access to the team, and I've had my fun if not the access I would've liked.

My question is on the IP rights. I obviously own the rights to the videos themselves and two of the teams are fine with any other game-related IP, but would the other opponents have any claims that I should get clearance for? I also used YouTube's stock music library to find music with no attribution requirements, YT's legal text is pretty short and appears to allow use even outside of YouTube, but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a filmmaker (although I eventually would love to take a crack at it,) instead I shoot rec league level sporting events.

For a couple of years, I've been shooting games for a local box lacrosse team. Above rec league, but not by much. I love lacrosse and wanted to do whatever I could to help them out since this area is definitely not a lacrosse hotbed. They've been really receptive to my offer to shoot their games at the beginning of the seasons, but go radio silent to any of my follow up requests (graphic assets, game day rosters, etc...) NBD, I can still produce my videos with whatever I can get my hands on.

Today, I get a text from a guy from one of last season's opponents. He's now a part owner of the team I was shooting for and both teams are now partnering with something called The Box Lacrosse Channel (looks like a startup using Castify to build Roku and AppleTV OTT apps) and want to use my videos to expand the teams' library of games on the channel.

I know there's a bunch of reasons to say "no" or "pay me," but those don't really matter to me. I shot the games for fun and access to the team, and I've had my fun if not the access I would've liked.

My question is on the IP rights. I obviously own the rights to the videos themselves and two of the teams are fine with any other game-related IP, but would the other opponents have any claims that I should get clearance for? I also used YouTube's stock music library to find music with no attribution requirements, YT's legal text is pretty short and appears to allow use even outside of YouTube, but wondered if anyone knew for sure.

I find rights stuff always a bit tricky and difficult depending on the situation.

But I think you'll officially need everyones permission that's on screen. And since they are not professional teams odds are that none of the players have some kind of agreement with the team for media usage or whatever. So you'd probably need individual players permission rather than the clubs permission.

But truth is that in these situations people honestly don't care or even find out about it. Since you are not selling the footage anyway, I'd give the footage and lay the responsibilities with the guy that is asking for it. Since it's (probably) a commercial project make sure you state the fact you don't have any written permissions and you lay those responsibilities with them on paper and you are probably good to go.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you ever think that since you don't have the fancy gear you dream of you can't make the project you want, think again.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex3C1-5Dhb8&t=26s
This film was apparently shot entirely on the FX3, a 4K prosumer camera. (Just ignore the 20K a pop anamorphic lenses they used though).

Absolutely mind blowing tbh. It's one of the best looking movies of the year (if not a bit grainy, but I honestly thought it was shot on film because of it) and it's shot on a dirt cheap camera. I've definitely been influenced by the allure of fancy gear, and have been hella disappointed when I couldn't get the budget together for a RED or Arri. But this is eye opening.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Someone was able to recreate the sodium vapor effects that Disney used as their version of the green screen, only much better. Unfortunately, the only source of this is Corridor Crew, which is associated with certain figured with right-wing views, so I'll refrain from giving them a link. But I haven't seen anyone else report on it.

OP
OP
CelestialAtom

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Someone was able to recreate the sodium vapor effects that Disney used as their version of the green screen, only much better. Unfortunately, the only source of this is Corridor Crew, which is associated with certain figured with right-wing views, so I'll refrain from giving them a link. But I haven't seen anyone else report on it.

Oh snap! That is absolutely wild if true.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty cool! Works surprisingly good. Doubt it'll be used for anything though, because of the two camera setup and the required sodium vaper lights. Especially since we've also got stuff like the Volume now, even though people might paint stuff in and out still. But you get color accurate reflections and color casts that you don't with green screen or sodium vapor.

But still cool.